NORTHWARD from Kingsdown lies Horton
THIS PARISH contains about three thousand acres
of land, of which four hundred are wood. It extends about two miles eastward up to high grounds
on the hills, among which, near the boundaries
of it, are the two hamlets of Pinden and Deanbottom. The soil here is much inclined to chalk,
and being much covered with flints, is but poor and
barren; but lower down, in the valley, near the village, and towards the Darent there are a few fields
much more sertile.
The river Darent runs along the eastern side of the
parish; on the bank of it stands Horton castle, of
which there are large ruins still remaining, and part
of it is now sitted up, as the court lodge or farm house
of the manor; and near it the church. At about half
a mile distance northward lies the hamlet of South
Darent, once esteemed as a parish, and of much
greater account than it is at present, the parish of
Darent being frequently stiled, in antient writings,
North Darent, in opposition to it; and in the Textus
Roffensis, in the list of the parishes in this diocese,
mention is made of South Darent, as paying chrism.
rent to the mother church of the diocese.
This hamlet lies partly in Darent and partly in
Horton; in the latter there are still remaining the slint
walls of an antient building, most probably formerly
the church or chapel of South Darent, now made use
of as a malt house. Near which is a large corn mill,
and a little farther a handsome modern house, almost
rebuilt, within these few years, by Mr. Thomas Williams, who now resides in it.
At a small distance northward from the church is
the village of Horton, close to the banks of the Da
rent, and a little beyond it the venerable mansion of
Franks, and the parsonage. At the south end of the
village is Kirkby-house; and on the rise of the hill
above it Reynold's-place, now principally occupied
as a farm house.
THIS PLACE, soon after the conquest, was part of the
possessions of Odo, the great bishop of Baieux, the
Conqueror's half brother, of whom it was held at the
time of taking the survey of Domesday, by Anschitillus de Ros, who held many estates in these parts
of the bishop.
In the above survey Horton is thus entered under
the general title of the lands of the bishop of Baieux.
Anschitillus (de Ros) holds of the bishop (of Baieux)
Hortone. It was taxed at one suling. The arable land
is three carucates, and there are four borderers, and one
mill of five shillings, and six acres of meadow. There is
a church, and wood for the pannage of three bogs. The
king has lately given him by the bishop as much wood of
this manor as is worth five shillings. The whole manor
was worth four pounds, and now six pounds. Godel de
Brixi held it, and could turn himself over with his land
wherever he would.
The same Anschitillus holds of the bishop in the same
manor half a suling. The arable land is one carucate,
and there is in demesne . . . . . . and eight villeins, with
six borderers, having one carucate. There is one mill of
15 shillings, and nine acres of meadow, wood for the
pannage of five bogs. The whole manor was worth 40
shillings, and now 60 shillings. Ording held it of the
king (Edward the Confessor).
The same Anchitillus bolds of the bishop in the same
manor one suling. The arable land is three carucates. In
demesne there is one carucate, and eight villeins, with
two carucates. There is one servant and eight acres of
meadow, and half a mill of five shillings, wood for the
pannage of fifteen bogs. The whole manor was worth
four pounds, and now 100 shillings. Award held it of
(king) Herald. These four manors are now as one manor.
To which is added, that the king had all forfeitures
of Hamsoca, Gribridge, and Foristel, in Hortune, and
that Ordine de Hortune had the privileges of sac and
soc for his land within the lath of Suttone.
Upon the disgrace of the bishop of Baieux, about
the year 1084, the king his brother seized on all his lands
and possessions. One knight's fee, part of the bishop's
lands in this parish, was afterwards held of the archbishop of Canterbury, and another knight's see and
an half, and the fourth part of the fifth of one was
held of Simon de Montfort, earl of Leicester, as of
the honour of Newberry.
The manor of Horton, notwithstanding the forfeiture of Odo, continued to be held by the family of
Ros, called in Latin, Rubitonensis, who bore for their
arms, Or, three roses gules, being a different family
from those of Hamlake, who bore, Gules, three water
bougets argent; one of whom built Horton-castle, the
ruins of which remain at this time. A descendant
of this family was Alexander de Ros, who was one of
the Recognitores Magnoe Assisæ, or justices of the Great
Assize, an office of no small eminence at that time.
In the first year of king John, William de Ros held
one knight's see in Horton and Lullingstone. (fn. 1) One
of his descendants, Richard de Ros, in the reign of
Henry III. left an only daughter and heir, Lora, who,
from her possessions here, was stiled, The Lady of Horton, who carried her interest in this place, in marriage,
about the 20th of king Edward I. to Roger de Kirkby, son of Sir John de Kirby, descended of the family
of that name, seat at Kirkby-hall, in Lancashire.
They were before possessed of a considerable estate in
this parish, called after their own name, the manor of
Kirkby-court, where they resided.
Roger de Kirkby, at the inthronization of archbishop Robert Winchelsea, in the 23d of Edward I.
made claim before Richard de Clare, earl of Gloucester and Hertford, high steward and chief butler
to the archbishop, to serve him on that day with the
cup at his dinner, and to have the cup, as his fee, by
reason of the manor of Horton, by Farningham,
which he held of the archbishop, and the earl admitted his claim; but as he was not a knight, as he
ought to be, who should perform it, therefore the
earl, as steward, nominated Sir Gilbert Owen to serve
for him, who, after dinner, had the cup, &c. (fn. 2)
He re-edified Horton-castle, and new-built the
mansion of Kirkby court; and so considerable was
his property become in this place, from the above
mentioned match, that the parish itself had the addition of his name to it, having been ever since called
Horton Kirkby, as well in regard to him, as to distinguish it from other parishes of the same name in
this county. His son, Gilbert de Kirkby, held this
estate in the 20th year of king Edward III. and there
is a large grave stone in the south cross of this church,
with the portrait of a man in long robes, in brass, the
inscription torn off; but at the north corner of it these
arms remain, Quarterly, first and fourth, Kirkby; second and third, Ros, which is most probably his grave
stone; but at the latter end of the next reign of king
Richard II. a female heir of this name carried Horton
castle, and these manors, which now by unity of
possession were become one, together with Kirkbycourt, in marriage to Thomas Stonar, of Stonar, in
Oxfordshire; in consequence of which the Stonars, as
descended from the heir general of the Kirkby's,
quartered their arms, being Six lions rampant, on a canton a mullet, with their own. (fn. 3) His grandson, Sir Wil
liam, son of Sir Thomas Stonar, by Anne, one of the
daughters, and at length coheir of John Nevill, marquis-Montacute, (fn. 4) held this manor, and the water-mill
belonging to it, in the reign of king Henry VII. He
had one son, John, who died without issue, and a
daughter, married to Sir Adrian Fortescue, by whom
he had one daughter and sole heir, Margaret, married to Thomas lord Wentworth; and, by Anne her
mother, was heir to her grandfather, Sir William Stonar, and had a special possession granted of all the
lands which by her death descended to her. (fn. 5) He
died anno 5 king Edward VI. and was buried in
Westminster abbey, leaving Thomas lord Wentworth
his eldest son, who succeeded him here, and in the
next reign of king Philip and queen Mary, conveyed
these premises, by fine and recovery, to Robert Rudston and Thomas Walsingham; which last, in the
5th year of queen Elizabeth, conveyed the whole of
his interest in Horton-castle and manor to the former, and had the whole property of Kirkby-court
confirmed to himself.
In the reign of king James I. Anne, daughter and
sole heir of Isaac Rudstone, (fn. 6) esq. of Boughton Monchelsea, carried the castle and manor of Horton, in
marriage, to Samuel Michel, of Old Windsor, who
died within a few years, leaving Anne, his wife, surviving, and two sons, John and Humphry. She, after her husband's death, anno 15 king James I. settled this estate on her two sons, successively in tail,
and died in 1669, being succeeded in it by her grandson, John, the only son and heir of her eldest son,
John Michel, who died in her life time.
He was of Richmond, in Surry; and at his coming of age, in the 35th year of king Charles II. by a
fine and recovery, barred the intail created by his
grandmother. He died unmarried, and without issue; and, by his last will, in 1736, devised this castle
and manor, the manor of Plumsted, and other estates
in this county, &c. to the provost and scholars of
Queen's college, in Oxford, and their successors for
ever, for the purposes therein mentioned, as has already been fully described under the manor of Plumsted; and in them the present possession and inheritance of this castle and manor is now vested.
At the court leet of this manor, a constable and aleconner is appointed for the parish of Horton Kirkby.
Most of the lands within this parish are held of the
manor, at small yearly quit rents.
The MANSION of KIRKBY-COURT passed from Sir
Thomas Walsingham in the latter end of the reign of
queen Elizabeth, to Cuthbert Hacket, alderman of
London, grandson of Tho. Hacket, of Dartford, and
afterwards knighted, and lord mayor in 1626, who bore
for his arms, Three fleurs de lis, between two bendlets, a
crescent for difference. He lies buried in St. James's,
Garlick-hith. (fn. 7) His heirs passed away this seat, with
the lands belonging to it, to Payne, in which family
it continued to John Payne the elder, who, together
with Rhodee his wife, settled it on Joel Payne, their
son, on his marriage with Alice Alingham; and they,
in 1681, conveyed it to John Collett, whose daughter, Elizabeth, in 1698, passed it away by sale to John
Arnold; and his son, William Arnold, brewer, of
Deptford, in 1730, conveyed this estate to Thomas
Polhill, esq. on whose death, in 1732, it descended
to his three daughters and coheirs, and their heirs, viz.
one-third to Mr. Thomas Baldwin, in right of his
mother; one-third to Richard, David, and Thomas
Collins, in right of thier mother; and one-third to
Elizabeth Polhill, in her own right.
In the year 1738, Richard and Thomas Collins,
in whom the sole property of this seat was then vested, conveyed it to Richard Hornsby, esq. sheriff of
this county, in 1749, who resided here, and died possessed of it, leaving his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Hornsby, surviving, and several daughters his coheirs; she
afterwards possessed this seat, and died in 1791, the
year after which it was sold by her heirs to Mr. Edward Homewood, who now resides in it.
FRANKS is an eminent seat in this parish, situated
on the banks of the river Darent, and near the southern bounds of Horton, towards Farningham. In
king Henry III.'s time, this seat was in the possession of a family, who came hither out of Yorkshire,
and wrote their names, as appears by antient deeds
and evidences, Frankish, and bore for their arms, as
appears by their seals, A Saltier engrailed.
After this family became extinct here, this seat
passed by sale into the family of Martin. John Martin, judge of the common-pleas, died possessed of it
in the 15th year of king Henry VI. whose grandson
John, by his will, anno 1480, gave it to his second
son, William, who was succeeded in it by his only
son, Edward, who resided at Franks; and in the beginning of Elizabeth's reign alienated it, with other
lands in this neighbourhood, to Lancelot Bathurst,
alderman of London, who rebuilt this seat, as it is at
present, (fn. 8) on the opposite side of the river to where it
stood before, and died in 1594. He was citizen and
grocer of London, and lies buried in the church of St.
Mary Bothaw; being the grandson of Laurence Bathurst, citizen of Canterbury, who held lands there, and
in Cranbrooke, in this county, and left three sons;
of whom Edward, the eldest, was of Staplehurst, and
left Lancelot above mentioned, whose descendants
will be mentioned hereafter. Robert, the second son,
was of Horsemonden, whose descendant, John, became possessed of the manor of Letchlade, in Gloucestershire, where his descendants settled, being baronets; which branch, in 1623, procured an alteration in their arms, Azure two bars or, in chief three
crosses formee of the second; crest, on a wreath, a bay
borse, standing on a mount vert. Paul, the second son,
was of Bathurst-street, in Nordiam, and by Elizabeth,
daughter and coheir of Edward Horden, became possessed of the manor of Finchcocks, in Goudhurst,
where his descendants settled, of whom further mention will be made, under the description of that manor.
Robert, above mentioned, by his second wife, left
two sons, Timothy and John, from which latter the
Bathursts of Richmond, in Yorkshire, are descended.
Lancelot Bathurst, the builder of this feat, had by
Judith, his wife, daughter of Bernard Randolph, of
London, Iremarried to Edward Kynaston, several sons
and daughters. Randolph, the eldest, was of Franks;
Edward resided at Hawley; and George, by Elizabeth,
his wife, daughter of Edward Villiers of Howthorpe,
in Northamptonshire, had twelve sons and four daughters; of whom Sir Benjamin Bathurst, LL.D. was
father of Alan earl Bathurst, whose eldest surviving son
was Henry earl Bathurst, chancellor of Great Britain;
of Peter Bathurst of Clarendon park, in Wiltshire; and
of Benjamin Bathurst of Lidney, in Gloucestershire.
Randolph Bathurst, esq. the eldest son of Lancelot,
the builder of this feat, before mentioned, was of
Franks; and bore for his arms, Quarterly, 1st and 4th,
Bathurst; sable, two bars ermine, in chief three crosses
patee or; second and third, Randolph, gules on a cross
bumette argent, five mullets pierced of the first; and for
his crest, on a wreath, a dexter arm in mail, embowed,
and holding a club with spikes, all proper; as are
now borne by earl Bathurst, and the other descendants of George Bathurst, fourth son of Lancelot be
fore mentioned. In his descendants it continued
down to Francis Bathurst, esq. who was of Franks,
and had four wives, but left issue only by the first of
them, Susannah Hubert, of the kingdom of France,
one sole daughter, Beronice, who, on her father's
death, in 1738, became his sole heir, and carried
Franks, with his other estates in this neighbourhood, in marriage, to Mr. Joseph Fletcher, of London; whose only daughter and heir, Susan, carried
it in marriage to John Tasker, esq. of Dartford;
and he, on her death, in 1757, became sole possesfor of this seat, in which he resided. He married,
secondly, Anne, eldest daughter of Thomas Faunce,
esq. of Sutton-at-Hone, but had issue by neither of
them. He bore for his arms, Per pale argent, and
gules, three saltiers counterchanged; and died in 1796,
leaving her surviving, who now possesses this seat,
and resides in it.
In the windows of this mansion are painted the
arms of Bathurst, with their impalements and quarterings; of the Grocers company; the arms of France
and England quarterly; and the crest of Bathurst.
REYNOLD'S-PLACE lies a very small distance eastward from Kirkby-court, and was in antient times
the seat of a family of the name of Reynolds, in
which it continued down to the reign of Edward IV.
when it was passed away by sale to Sir John Browne,
lord-mayor of London, in 1480, who bore for his
arms, Azure, a chevron or, between three escallops of the
second, a bordure engrailed gules.
This Sir John Browne, otherwise called John de
Werks, mercer, was son of John Browne of Okeham,
in Rutlandshire. He died in 1497, and was buried
in St. Margaret's church, in Milk-street, London, (fn. 9)
leaving by Anne his wife, daughter of Belwood, of
Lincoln's-inn, one son and heir, William, likewise
lord-mayor of London, and knighted in 1547. He
died in the year of his mayoralty, having, by his will,
bequeathed this seat to his second son, John Browne,
esq. who was sheriff of this county in the 10th year
of queen Elizabeth, and held his shrievalty at this
place; and in the windows of this house, among the
remains of much painted glass are the arms and crest
of Browne very frequent. In his descendants it continued till, at length, it was passed away by sale, in
the reign of king Charles I. to Sir John Jacob, who
was eldest surviving son of Abraham Jacob, esq. of
Gamlingay, in Cambridgeshire, and Bromley, in Middlesex.
Sir John Jacob, continuing firm to the king during the troubles of those times, had this estate sequestered, and was otherwise a great sufferer, insomuch that he was obliged to part with much of his
property; (fn. 10) though after the restoration of Charles II.
he was, in 1664, advanced to the dignity of a baronet,
which his descendant, Sir Hildebrand Jacob, possesses
at this time; he bore for his arms, Argent, a chevron
gules, between three tigers heads, erased proper. Among
other estates, he passed away this seat, with the estate
belonging to it, to Sir Harbottle Grimstone, bart.
whose father, Sir Harbottle Grimstone of Bradfield,
in Effex, descended of a family long seated in Yorkshire, had been created a baronet in 1612. (fn. 11)
King Charles II. had so just a sense of the merits
and endeavours of Sir Harbottle Grimstone, the son,
to promote the restoration, that at his return to the
throne, he made him of his privy-council, and master
of the rolls; before which, as one who meant well to
the king, he had been elected speaker of the house of
He sold this estate to Sir John Beal of Farningham,
who left two daughters, Jane, married to Sir George
Hanger, of Drissield, in Gloucestershire; and Elizabeth, married to William Emmerton, esq. of Chipsted; and on the partition of their inheritance, Reynold's-place, fell to the share of the former. He left
two sons, William and Gabriel; the former of whom
dying without issue, Gabriel his brother succeeded
him in it, and in 1761, was created lord Coleraine of
the kingdom of Ireland. (fn. 12) He died in 1773, and by
his will devised this estate, with others in this neighbourhood, to his second son, the Hon. William Hanger, who, in 1774, having procured an act of parliament for that purpose, conveyed it by sale to Mr.
David Powell, of London, the present possessor of it.
This house was built by one of the Browne's of
the same model as Franks, but much larger. It was
greatly damaged by the violent storm which happened
November 26, 1703; after which Sir Geo. Hanger
pulled most of it down, and left only sufficient for a
PINDEN is a hamlet in this parish, situated about
a mile and a half southward from Horton church, It
was formerly of much greater account than it is at
present; and in the general survey of Domesday it is
thus described, under the general title of the possessions of Odo, bishop of Baieux.
The same Malgerius (de Rokesle) holds in Pinnedene
half a suling of the bishop (of Baieux). The arable land
is seven organgs. There is one plough, with six villeins,
and six acres of meadow. It was, and is now worth 16
shillings. Aluret held it of king Edward the Confessor,
and could turn himself over wherever be would.
This place has long since been separated into many
different estates, insomuch that the continuing a series of the owners of them would afford no entertainment to the reader. After bishop Odo's disgrace, in
the reign of the Conqueror, the bishop of Rochester
seems to have had some property in this estate; for
among the lands, contributary towards the repair of
Rochester-bridge, the bishop is bound to repair and
make the third pier of that bridge, as holding Pinendene, among other lands in these parts. (fn. 13)
ANTHONY ROPER, esq. gave by will, about the year 1594, to
the poor of this parish, at the discretion of his trustees, the rents
of certain houses and lands in East Greenwich, vested in the same,
the average value of which, for twelve years, has been of the annual produce of 6l. 18s.
ANNE BURREL gave by will, in 1611, to the poor of this parish, a rent charge, issuing out of lands in this parish, vested in
Isaac Parry, gent. of Deptford, and of the annual produce of 1l.
THOMAS TERRY of Shoreham, gave by will, in 1628, to the
poor belonging to this parish, who do not receive the common
alms, a house, barn, garden, outlet, and six acres of land, vested
in the vicar and churchwardens, and of the annual produce of 6l.
WM. TURNER of Erith, gave by will, in 1729, to be distributed in bread, to such poor as most usually frequent divine service,
and do not receive common alms, a rent charge, out of lands in
this parish, vested in the heirs of John tasker, esq. of the annual
product of 2l.
HORTON KIRBY is within the ECCLESIASTICAL
JURISDICTION of the deanry of Dartford, and diocese
of Rochester. The church, which is dedicated to St.
Mary, is built in the form of a cross, with a spire
steeple in the centre of it, in which hangs a peal of
Among other monuments and inscriptions, in this church, in
the chancel are several for the Bathurst family of Franks, in this
parish; among them one for Sir Thomas Bathurst, son of Sir Edward, obt. 1688. In the nave, a memorial, with the figures of a
man and woman in brass, and these arms, a chevron between three
escallops within a bordure engrailed, impaling Bathurst, for John
Brown, esq. ob. 1595, æt. 28; on another these arms, two bars lancette, and a chief, the inscrip. lost. In the high chancel is an arched
recess in the wall, ornamented with Gothic carved work, and underneth it a tomb, most probably for one of the Ros's, lords of
this place, and patrons of this church; most likely if not the
founder, yet a good benefactor to it. On the gallery, under the
steeple, are the arms of Bathurst and Browne carved in wood; in
the south cross were some remains of painted glass, but on the repairing the windows, some years ago, it was wholly removed. (fn. 14) —In the church yard are values for the Taskers and Lanes.
Sir John de Cobham, with the consent of Simon
Sudbury, archbishop of Canterbury, in the 1st year
of king Richard II. gave the church of Horton to the
master and chaplains of the chantry of Cobham,
founded by him, and their successors, (fn. 15) and procured
the appropriation of it to them. The bull of pope
Gregory XI. for this purpose, bears date that year,
in the 6th year of his pontificate; and this was confirmed by Thomas bishop of Rochester, in 1378,
who, by his decree, then endowed the vicarage of this
church, saving to himself and his successors, the accustomed pension of one marc per annum due from
it, as follows:
That the vicar of it, for the time being, should
have of the profits of the church, a competent habitation, in the name of a portion, to be assigned by the
bishop; viz. that which the vicars there were accustomed of old to inhabit, with all its rights whatsoever;
and that he should have all oblations, made in the
church or elsewhere, within the parish, and the obventions and offerings that should be made at the
altar of the church; and that the tithes of flax, hemp,
milk, butter, cheese, cattle, calves, wool, lambs,
geese, ducks, pigs, eggs, wax, honey, apples, pears,
pidgeons, fisheries of ponds, rivers, lakes, fowling,
merchandizing, trade, herbage, pasture and feedings,
silva cadua, mills, all the herbage of the church-yard,
and all other small tithes whatever, arising within the
parish, of whatever sort they be, entirely and wholly,
for his, and his vicarage's entire and whole portion
for ever, without any deduction or dimunition, all
which he then taxed at seven marcs. And that the
vicar should sustain the burthens, entirely at his own
proper costs and expences, of the procurations of the
archdeacon, bread, wine, and the necessary repair of
the buildings of his vicarage, and all other burthens,
ordinary and extraordinary, whatsoever, which the vicars of the church for the time being had been before
that time accustomed to undergo and take upon
themselves, and which might happen to the church in
future, of what sort soever they might be, excepting
the reparation of the chancel, and the parsonage of
this church, whenever there should be occasion for
the same. (fn. 16)
In this state the church of Horton remained till
the 31st year of king Henry VIII. when the college of
Cobham was dissolved, by the act then passed for the
suppression of all abbies, religious houses, and hospitals, and for giving their lands and possessions to the
king; but there was a proviso in it, that nothing contained in it should be prejudicial to George lord Cobham, and his heirs, to whom the king had given licence by his word, to purchase and receive, to him
and his heirs for ever, of the late master and brethren
of the college or chantry of Cobham, all their hereditaments and possessions. Upon which this church,
thus coming into the hands of the lord Cobham, in
the 32d year of that reign, he granted to the king the
parsonage of Horton, subject to the yearly payments
of 13s. 4d. to the bishop of Rochester, and 9s. 6d.
to the archdeacon, together with the church and advowson of it. How long it staid in the crown I know
not; but in the reign of queen Elizabeth it was part
of the possessions of Lancelot Bathurst, esq. of Franks;
after which it continued in the same owners as Franks
till John Tasker, esq. possessor of the parsonage, sold
the advowson of this church some years ago to Mr.
Thomas Williams of Dartford, and he is the present
owner of it; but Mr. Tasker died possessed of the
parsonage in 1796, and his widow is now possessed
In the 15th year of king Edward I. the church of
Horton was valued at thirty marcs, and the vicarage
at seven marcs. (fn. 17)
By virtue of the Commission of enquiry, taken in 1650,
it was returned, that Horton was a vicarage, with a
house, and four acres of glebe land, worth twenty
pounds per annum, Mr. Weller Collins enjoying it,
and preaching there. (fn. 18)
Horton is a discharged living, in the king's books,
of the clear yearly value, as certified, of 39l. 1s. 3d.
the yearly tenths being 10s. 9d.
The vicarage has been augmented by the governors
of queen Anne's bounty; in consequence of which an
estate at Brockhull, in this parish, has been purchased
for the benefit of it.
There was a perpetual chantry founded in
the parish church of Horton, which was surrendered
and given up to the king by the acts of the 37th of
king Henry VIII. and the 1st of king Edward VI.
By the survey of this chantry, now in the augmentation-office, it appears, that the clear yearly revenues
of it were 62s. 8½d. the whole being a yearly annuity of 3l. 6s. 8d. payable from the late monastery of
Boxley, which had been paid ever since the dissolution of that house; that there was a rent out of it,
payable yearly to the lord of Horton manor, of 3s.
11½d. that the founder of the chantry was not known,
but the profits and annuity above mentioned had
been employed to find a priest, to celebrate divine
service in the parish church of Horton for ever. This
rent was sold by Sir Walter Mildmay, one of the general surveyors of the court of augmentation; and
Robert Kelway, esq. by virtue of a commission under
the great seal, anno 2 king Edward VI. to Thomas
Frend. (fn. 19)
Church Of Horton Kirkby.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Baldwin de Caundell, anno 25th
Edward I. (fn. 20) |
|John Alchin, in 1589. (fn. 21) |
|John Gerry, in 1557. (fn. 22) |
|Christonher Dale, B. D. Feb. 15,
1627. (fn. 23) |
|Francis Cornwall, February 19,
1627. (fn. 24) |
|Weller Collins, 1650.|
|Thomas Grei, 1690. (fn. 25) |
|John Goheir, 1691. (fn. 26) |
|Francis Bathurst, esq.||William Hopkins, 1698, ob. Oct.
1, 1742 (fn. 27) |
|Lord Bathurst. (fn. 28) ||Vincent Hotchkys, induct. April
15, 1743, Obt. Nov. 1763. (fn. 29) |
|John Tasker, esq.||Edmound Faunce, A. M. induct.
Mar. 16, 1764, resig. 1770. (fn. 30) |
|Mr. Thomas Williams.||Richard Williams, 1770. Present vicar.|