LIES the adjoining parish eastward from Tunbridge. It is called in Domesday, TIVELELE, and
in the Textus Rossensis, THUDELEI.
It is a very obscure and unfrequented place, lying
between the parishes of Tunbridge and Capel. The
situation and soil is much the same as the latter, lying
low, the soil a moist stiff clay, with abundance of
large spreading oaks throughout it in the hedge rows,
which are broad and thick, the village with the
church is near the western boundary of it; at some
distance southward is the hamlet of Crookhurst, be
yond which this parish stretches along the southern
boundary of Capel, where it is crossed by two small
rivulets which flow from hence into the Medway, to
the edge of this hundred, where the manor and house
of Badsell is situated in a very wet and unpleasant
THIS PLACE was part of those vast possessions,
with which William the Conqueror enriched his halfbrother Odo, the great bishop of Baieux, and earl of
Kent, under the general title of whose lands it is thus
entered in the survey of Domesday:
In Wachelestan hundred Richard de Tonebridge holds
of the bishop (of Baieux) Tivedele. It was taxed at
one suling. The arable land is one carucate, and there
is . . . . in demesne, and a church, and wood for the pannage of two hogs. It is and was worth fifteen shillings.
Eddeva held it of the king.
The survey of Domesday was taken about the
year 1080; four years after which, the bishop of
Baieux's possessions were, on his disgrace, seized on
by the king.
BADSELL is the principal manor in this parish, lying at the south-east end of it, which formerly gave
both residence and surname to a family, who were
some time possessors of it. At length, by a daughter
and coheir, Marian Badsell, it was carried in marriage to Thomas Stidulf, from whom the family of
that name in Surry were descended; he resided at
Badsell, and was only son and heir of Robert, and
heir likewise of his uncle Henry Stidulf. He died
anno 36 Henry VI. and lies buried with his wife in
this church. They left an only daughter and heir
Agnes, who carried this manor in marriage to Richard Fane, esq. of Tudeley, who died possessed of
it in the 32d year of king Henry VIII. and was buried in the chapel of this church, which he himself had
caused to be made. His son, George Fane, esq. resided at Badsell, as did his son, Sir Thomas Fane,
which last having married lady Mary, daughter and
sole heir of Henry Nevill, lord Abergavenny, became
possessed of the castle and manor of Mereworth,
where afterwards he resided much, as his son, Sir
Francis Fane, earl of Westmoreland, did entirely;
since which this mansion has been made use of only
as a farm house, and in his descendants, earls of
Westmoreland, this manor continued to John Fane,
earl of Westmoreland, who dying s.p. in 1762, it
has now at length by the limitations of his will come,
with the rest of his Kentish estates, into the possession of the right hon. Thomas, lord le Despencer, the
present owner of it.
There are no parochial charities. The poor relieved
yearly are about twenty.
TUDELEY is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Rochester and deanry of
The church, which is a small building, has been
lately rebuilt of brick, having a square tower at the
west end, with a small pointed spire on it. It is dedicated to All Saints.
The patronage of this church was, about the year
1239, given by Richard de Theudele, Richard de
Sardenne, and Alicia, Agnes, and Cecilia, daughters
of John Teudeley, patrons of it, to the prior and
canons of Tunbridge; which gift was confirmed by
the bishop, who soon afterwards granted licence to
them, to appropriate it to their own use, on the death
or refignation of John, then rector of it, and in the
mean time, that they should receive yearly half a
marc from it; but the vicarage was not endowed till
the year 1398.
The appropriation of it, together with the advowson of the vicarage, remained with the priory of Tunbridge, till its final dissolution, which happened in
the 17th year of king Henry VIII. when being one
of those smaller monasteries, which cardinal Wolsey
had obtained of the king by his letters patent, dated
February 8, that year, for the endowment of his colleges, it was surrendered, with all the possessions belonging to it, into the cardinal's hands, and afterwards
by the king's letters patent granted to him for the
better endowment of his college, called Cardinal's
college, in Oxford. (fn. 1)
But this church staid with the college only four
years; when the cardinal being cast in a præmunire
in 1529, all the estates of it were sorfeited to the king,
and became part of the revenue of the crown.
King Edward VI. in his 1st year, granted this parsonage and advowson to Sir Walter Hendley, at the
yearly rent of 6s. 3½d. to hold in capite by knights
service. He died without male issue, leaving three
daughters his coheirs.
On the division of their inheritance, this parsonage
and advowson were allotted to the second daughter
Helen, who entitled her third husband, Sir Thomas
Fane, of Burston, in Hunton, to the possession of
them. After which they passed in like manner as
Burston to Vere, Thomas and John Fane, three brothers, successively earls of Westmoreland, the last of
whom dying s.p. in 1762, they are at length come
by the limitations of his will, among the rest of his
estates in this county, to the right hon. Thomas, lord
le Despencer, the present owner of them.
The parsonage of Tudeley pays a see-farm rent to
the crown of 6s. 3½d. yearly.
The vicarage is valued in the king's books at
4l. 16s. 0½d. and the yearly tenths at 9s. 7¼d.
The vicar of Tudeley is instituted to this vicarage,
with the chapel of Capel annexed.
Church of Tudeley.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Family of Fane||Thomas Tharry, A.M. 1630.|
|William Walleys, about 1643. (fn. 2) |
|Samuel Vanderlure, 1660, obt.
Feb. 21, 1699. (fn. 3) |
|Edward Dering, A.M. 1702,
obt. Dec. 26, 1715. (fn. 4) |
|Stephen Cowper, A.B. 1726,
obt. 15, 1750. (fn. 5) |
|John Hedges, A.M. 1750.|
|Sir Thomas Stapylton, bart||John Loop, A.B. instit. Dec.