LIES the next parish north westward from Wichling. It is written in Domesday, Fredenestede; in antient deeds, Freyhanestede; and in later ones, most
usually, Frensted, alias Wronsted.
That part of this parish northward of the church is
in the division of East Kent, but the church itself, and
the remaining part of it is in that of West Kent.
THE PARISH extends on both sides of the valley,
called Syndall, or Newnham-bottom, through which
the high road leads from Ospringe, through Doddington and Newnham, to Hollingborne hill, on each
side of which the hills rise very steep, the summits of
them being in general covered with wood grounds.
On the east side of this valley, on the hill close to the
woods, is Rinsted-court; and on the hill on the west,
Yokes court, and Madams-court; and still further
westward, the village and church. The soil of it is
poor, and covered with flints, much like that of
Wichling, before described; but the rising hills on
each side of the valley are mostly chalk.
There is a district in this parish, consisting of about
fifty acres of land, called Minis-hill, over which the
manor of Whornes-place, near Rochester, claims
This parish was part of those possessions which
William the Conqueror gave his half-brother Odo,
bishop of Baieux, under the general title of whose
lands it is thus entered in the book of Domesday,
taken about the year 1080:
Hugh, the grandson of Herbert, and Adelold the chamberlain, holds of the bishop (of Baieux) Fredenestede.
It was taxed at one suling. The arable land is three carucates. In demesne . . . . Three villeins having seven
oxen. There is a church, and two acres of meadow and
an half, and wood for the pannage of two hogs. It is,
and was worth, separately, twenty shillings. Leunin
held it of king Edward.
About four years after taking the above survey, the
bishop was disgraced, and the king his brother seized
on this estate, among the rest of his possessions, which
were all consiscated to the crown. After which, this
manor came into the possession of Jeffry de Peverel,
and with other lands, made up the barony of Peverel,
as it was then called, being assigned to him for the desence of Dover-castle, of which it was held by him in
capite by barony.
Nicholas de Gerund afterwards held this manor, with
the advowson of the church, of which he died possessed
in the 52d year of Henry III. holding it of the king in
capite, as one knight's see. After which, the family of
Crombwell became possessed of it; one of whom,
Richard de Crombwell, was owner of it in the 8th
year of Edward II. being younger brother of Sir John
de Crombwell, knight-banneret. Ralph de Crombwell, his successor, next year, obtained a charter of
free warren for his lands in this parish, and at his seat
here, since called Meriam-court, and now commonly,
In the next reign of king Edward III. this estate
was again come into the possession of the family of Gerund, in which, however, it did not remain long, for
Richard le Gerund leaving an only daughter and heir
Maud, she carried this manor and seat in marriage to
Sir Henry de Chalshunt, who in the 20th year of that
reign, paid aid for the manor of Wrensted, alias Frensted, with its appurtenances, holding it by the like service, as did his descendant Henry de Chalfhunt, at his
death, in the 9th year of Richard II. when it was
found, that John Bedeford, Roger Tournour, Sibill
Jarconville, and Agnes, daughter of Walter at Style,
were his heirs and next of kin; at which time it was
likewise found, that this manor was held of the manor
Soon after which, this manor, with the mansionhouse, called Wrensted, and now most usually Rinstedcourt, with Meriam, or Madams-court, and the advowson of the church of Wrensted, was conveyed by
sale to Robert le Hadde, who was resident here in the
reign of Henry IV. being descended from ancestors
who had been resident at Chart Sutton, in this county,
for many generations, Rob. Hadde being of that parish
in the reign of Henry III. In his descendants this estate
continued down to Henry Hadde, esq. of Frinsted, who
died possessed of this manor, with the advowson of
the church, and the other estates above-mentioned,
in the 23d year of queen Elizabeth, leaving two sons,
Arnold and Matthew, who was counsellor-at-law, of
Lincoln's-inn, of which he was rector, the former of
whom succeeded him here, and two years afterwards,
anno 25 Elizabeth, alienated this manor, with its appurtenances, together with the rest of his estates in
this parish, to Edward and George Hills. Arnold
Hadde, esq. after the sale of this estate, resided in St.
Alphage parish, in Canterbury, as his descendants did
for several generations afterwards, till the end of the
last century, and several of them lie buried in that
church. They bore for their arms, Gules, three bucks
heads caboshed, or, borned argent, between the borns of
each a cross patee fitchee, argent. (fn. 1)
Edward and George Hills joined in the sale of the
manor of Frinsted, with Rinsted, alias Wrensted-court,
and the lands belonging to it, to Edward Jackman,
esq. of Hornchurch, in Essex, and he, in the 5th year
of James I. passed it away to Oliver Style, esq. of
Watringbury, who died in 1622. Upon the death of
whose descendant, Sir Thomas Style, bart. who died in
1702, an agreement was entered into by his heirs for
a partition of his estates among them, which was confirmed by an act, passed anno 2 and 3 of queen Anne.
In this partition, the manor of Frinsted, with Rinstedcourt, was allotted to Margaret, his only daughter by
his second wife, who in 1716 sold it to Mr. Abraham
Tilghman, descended from those of Snodland. He was
a commissioner of the navy, and of the victuallingoffice, and dying in 1729, was buried in the south isle
of this church, where there is a monument erected to
his memory. He bore for his arms, Per fess, sable,
and argent, a lion rampant, counterchanged, crowned, or.
He was succeeded here by his son Abraham Tilghman,
esq. who resided here till his death in 1779. He left
by Olivia his wife, one of the two daughters and coheirs
of Charles Finch, esq. of Chatham, one daughter Elizabeth, who married the Rev. Pierrepont Crompe,
of Newnham, in Gloucestershire, son and heir of Thomas Cromp, esq. of Newnham, in that county, by
Rebecca, the other daughter and coheir of Charles
Finch, esq. He bore for his arms, Or, a chevron,
voided gules, on a chief of the second, three escallops of
the first. He afterwards resided here, and died in
1797, leaving his widow surviving, who now resides
here, and one son Robert-Thomas, and a daughter,
Henrietta Maria, the former of whom is now entitled
to the see of this estate.
MADAMS-COURT, formerly called Meriams-court,
as has been already mentioned, passed from Arnold
Hadde in the 25th year of queen Elizabeth, with the
rest of his estates in this parish, to Edward and George
Hills, and they joined in the sale of Meriam, or Madams-court, to Archer, from which name it passed, in
the reign of Charles I. to Thatcher, by a female heir
of which family it passed in marriage to Batcheler, some
of whose descendants lie buried in this church, one of
whom, Mr. William Batcheler, at length alienated it
to James Chapman, gent. of Milton, whose son Ed
ward Chapman, esq. of Otterden, died in 1765, leaving by his wife, daughter of the Rev. Mr. Dennis, of
Leyborne, one son, James Chapman, esq. now of Faversham, who is the present owner of it.
YOKES-COURT is a manor in this parish, which in
the reign of Henry III. was part of the possessions of
Fulk de Peyforer, whose descendant William de Peyforer, in the 20th year of Edward III. paid aid for it
as half a knight's fee, which he then held at le Yoke,
in this parish, of the honor of Ledes.
He soon afterwards alienated this manor to Roger
Northwood, who died in the 35th year of that reign
possessed of this manor of Yoke, held of the king in
capite, by the service of making his suit at the gate of
the castle of Leeds, from month to month, in lieu of
all other service whatsoever. His descendant, John
Northwood, esq. died possessed of it anno 4 Henry V.
leaving his two sisters his coheirs, who entitled their
husbands, John Barley, esq. of Hertfordshire, and Sir
John Norton, of this county, to their respective shares
of their brother's estates.
From one of them this manor was alienated to John
Dyggs, esq. of Barham, whose descendant James Dyggs,
esq. of Barham, died in the 27th year of Henry VIII.
then holding this manor in capite by knight's service.
He left two sons, John, who was of Barham, and Leonard, whose descendants were of Chilham-castle. His
son John Dyggs, the eldest, succeeded him in this
manor, and died in his life-time, leaving a son William, whose son Christopher Diggs, esq. of Barham,
having levied fines of all his lands anno 15 and 17 Elizabeth, quickly afterwards alienated this manor to Archer, from which name, in the reign of Charles I. it
passed by sale to Thatcher, of which name there were
inhabitants of the adjoining parish of Wormsell, as appears by the parish register there, as early as king
Henry the VIIIth's reign. These of Frinsted bore for
their arms, Gules, a cross moline, argent, on a chief, or,
three grasshoppers proper. In the name of Thatcher
this manor continued, till by a female heir Mary,
daughter of Thomas Thatcher, it went in marriage to
Mr. Henry Bing, of Wickhambreux, on whose death,
his son Mr. John Bing, became possessed of it. He
died in 1766, and was buried in the north chancel of
this church, leaving one son Henry, and two daughters; Mr. Henry Bing, the son, succeeded his father
in the possession of this manor, of which he is the present owner. A court baron is held for it.
JOHN WIATT, of Milsted, by will in 1722, gave the moiety
of several pieces of land in Milsted, Frinsted, and Wormsell,
containing about twenty acres, for sending four poor children
yearly to school, to learn to read, vested in the minister and
churchwardens, and of the annual value of 2l. 4s.
The number of poor constantly relieved are about sixteen;
FRINSTED is, within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Dunstan,
is situated westward from the village, but in the
northern part of the parish; it consists of two isles and
two chancels, the northern one belonging to the estate
of Yokes-court, in it are several memorials for the
Thatchers and the Bings. In the south isle is a monument for Abraham Tilghman, esq. who died in 1729.
Against the north wall in this chancel, in a recess,
is an antient tomb, with an engrailed arch over it.
It has a square beacon tower at the west end of it, in
which hang four bells. In the church yard is an altar
tomb; under it, in a vault, lie buried A. Tilghman,
esq. who died in 1779, and Olivia his wife; and the
Rev. Mr. Crompe, and Henrietta-Maria, his daughter.
This church was formerly appendant to the manor
of Frinsted, as has already been mentioned, and seems
to have passed with it from Arnold Hadde, esq. toge
ther with the rest of his estates in this parish, to Edward and George Hills, who alienated the manor of
Frinsted, with Rinsted-court, to Edward Jackman, esq.
and Meriam-court, or Madams-court, as it is now
called, together with the advowson of the rectory of
Frinsted, to Archer, from which name it passed with
it, to Thatcher, in whose descendants it continued till
Mary, daughter of Thomas Thatcher, carried it in
marriage to Mr. Henry Bing, whose descendant, Mr.
Henry Bing, gent. of this parish, is the present possessor of it.
In Strype's Stow's Survey, it is said, that in the
reign of Edward III. the church of Frethensted, in the
diocese of Canterbury, belonged to St. Catherine's hospital, near the Tower; and Tanner in his Monasticon,
says, in patent 3 Edward III. p. 2, m. 2, is a licence
for appropriating that church to the above-mentioned
hospital, which cannot be reconciled to the records
above-quoted, in which the advowson of the church of
Frinsted is found to have been vested in the several
owners of the manor of Frinsted.
This rectory is valued in the king's books at
9l. 11s. 8d. and the yearly tenths at 19s. 2d. and is of
the yearly certified value of 71l. 7s. 4d.
In 1640 it was valued at sixty pounds. Communicants fifty.
Church of Frinsted.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Henry Hadde, gent.||Ralph Brockhull, May 14, 1580,
|James Cripps, of Northfleet, gent.||Henry Lambe, July 5, 1623|
|Bridges Lambe, for this turn.||Richard Dawlinge, April 29,
|Joseph Slaughter, obt. 1661.|
|Simon Hohpen, gent.||Isaac Atkinson, Jan. 28, 1661,
|Sybill Nightingale, widow.||William Payne, A. M. January
|William Batcheler, obt. 1747. (fn. 2) |
|Richard Tylden, esq.||Thomas Baker, A. B. April 1,
1748, obt. Jan. 1779. (fn. 3) |
|Henry Byng, gent.||Edward Smith, A. M. Nov.
1779, resigned 1787. (fn. 4) |
|Richard Cook Tylden, A. M.
1787, the present rector. (fn. 4) |