IS the next parish eastward from Newington. The
name of which seems to be derived from the Saxon
words Burg and dena, signifying a mansion or town
among the woods.
THIS PARISH lies nearly midway between Newington and Sittingborne, and contains about 1550
acres of land, of which two hundred are wood. The
high London road runs along the north side of it,
whence the ground rises southward for about a mile,
(leaving the house of Cryals at about half that distance) to the village of Borden, through which there
is but little thoroughfare. It is plainly seen from the
high road, encircled by orchards of fruit trees, with
the church and Borden-hall standing within it, a little
to the eastward is the vicarage, a neat pretty dwelling.
The land about the village, and northward of it is
very fertile, being mostly a hazely mould, the plantations of fruit here, though many are not so numerous
as formerly, for being worn out, no new ones have
been planted in their room, and several of them have
been converted into hop-grounds. This part of the
parish, though it may certainly be deemed pleasant,
yet from the water from the wells not being good, is
not accounted healthy; southward of the village the
ground still rising, it grows very hilly, and the land
poor and much covered with flint stones, and the soil
chalky, which renders the water wholesome, and this
part much more healthy; about half a mile southward from the village is the house of Sutton Barne,
and a small distance eastward Wrens, now called Rains
farm, and a small hamlet called Heart's Delight. On
the opposite side from Sutton Barne is the hamlet of
Wood, formerly, called Hode-street, situated on high
ground; at a small distance eastward from which is
a long tract of woodland, in which there is a great
plenty of chesnut stubs, whence they are usually
known by the name of chesnut woods. These woods
reach down the side of the hill to the Detling road,
and the western boundary of this parish.
In 1695, in the sinking of a cellar by Dr. Plot, at
Sutton Barne, several Roman bricks were found,
with their edges upward, much like those, he says,
which had been turned up at the antient Roman Sullonicæ, near Ellestre, in Middlesex; (fn. 1) and near Hoadstreet was, about the same time, found an antient
In the fields southward of the village, the stones affect a globular form, where there are numbers of
them, of different magnitudes; but the biggest of
them was ploughed up at Sutton Barne, by Dr. Plot's
tenant, exactly globular, and as big as the largest cannon ball.
In 1676, Dr. Thomas Taylor found in Fridwood,
in this parish, belonging to his uncle Dr. Plot, an oak,
which bore leaves speckled with white; such a one,
Mr. Evelyn informs us, in his Discourse on Forest
Trees, from Dr. Childrey, was found in Lanhadronpark, in Cornwall.
THE JURISDICTION of the paramount manor of
Milton claims over this parish, subordinate to which is
THE MANOR OF SUTTON, alias SUTTON BARNE,
as it is corruptly now called, its antient name being
Sutton Baron, which addition it took, undoubtedly,
from the court baron of the manor held for it. It is
situated about a mile southward of the church and
village of Borden, and in the reign of Richard II. was
in the possession of Angelus Christopher, who with
Margaret his wife, passed it away, in the 17th year of
that reign, by fine then levied, to Henry Vanner, ci
tizen of London, who paid them one hundred marcs
of silver for the purchase of it. He sold it that year
to John Wotton, clerk, master of the college of All
Saints, in Maidstone, who reserving an annual rent of
ten pounds from it, for the term of his life, conveyed
it, in the 10th year of king Henry IV. to William
Bereford, by whom it was alienated in the 19th year
of king Henry VI. to Mr. John Grangeman, of this
parish, whose son Nicholas Grangeman, in the 29th
year of that reign, passed it away to Stephen and John
Norton, one of whose descendants, Alexander Norton, esq. by his will, in the 4th and 5th year of king
Philip and queen Mary, devised his estates here,
among which this manor was included, to John Coty
and Alice his wife, Thomas Plot and Elizabeth his
wife, Thomas and Alexander Pettenden, Norton
Greene, Thomas and Edward Norton, and their heirs,
who being afterwards much at variance concerning
their respective portions in them, they were divided,
according to the judgment of Ambrose Gilberd, and
Roger Manwood, as appears by their award.
But the manor of Sutton Barne, not being so conveniently to be divided among so many, they finally
agreed that year, to pass it away to William Cromer,
esq. and John Dryland; the former of whom, in the
2d year of queen Elizabeth, sold it, together with a
wood, called Fridd-wood, in this parish, to Mr. Robert Plot, of Borden, one of the sons of Mr. Alexander
Plot, of Stockbury, in which parish his ancestors had
been settled in the reign of Edward IV. and bore for
their arms, Vert, three quaterfoils, argent, each charged
with a lion's head, erased, sable. His great grandson,
of the same name, resided here, and made great additions to this seat. (fn. 2)
He was born here in 1641, and became a most
learned antiquarian, and excellent natural historian,
of which his histories of Oxfordshire and Staffordshire
are sufficient proofs. Being educated at Oxford, he
commenced LL. D. and became fellow, and afterwards secretary of the Royal Society, historiographer
to king James II. Mowbray herald extraordinary, and
lastly, register of the court of honor. He died in
1696, at Sutton Barne, and was buried in the church
of Borden, where there is a handsome monument
erected to his memory.
Dr.Plot left two sons, Robert and Ralph Sherwood, of Newington, the eldest of whom inherited
this manor, and at his death gave it by his will to Mr.
John Palmer, who had married his only daughter
Rebecca. He survived her, and at his death devised
it to his second wife, and Mr. John Lucas, of Milton, whose respective heirs, about the year 1767,
joined in the sale of it to Abraham Chambers, esq. of
London, who for some time resided at Sutton Barne,
till he removed to Tonstall. He died in 1782, leaving by his wife, daughter of Mr.James, of London,
four sons, and one daughter Maria Emely, who afterwards became jointly entitled to this manor, among
his other estates in this county, and they, after some
years possession of them, made a division of them,
when this manor became the property of the eldest
son, Samuel Chambers, esq. of Tonstall, who married
one of the daughters of the hon. Philip Roper, and
he is the present owner of this manor. A court
baron is held for it.
CRIOLS, alias KYRIELLS, with an appendage to it,
called Poyles, the very name of which has been long
since forgotten, is a manor here, which in early times
was in the possession of the eminent family of Criol,
who fixed their name on it, as they did on other estates
belonging to them in different parts of this county.
Bertram de Criol died possessed of it in the 23d year
of king Edward I. anno 1294, whose son John de
Criol dying in the 34th year of that reign, s. p. Joane
his sister, married to Sir Richard de Rokesle, became
his heir, and entitled her husband to this manor.
He left by her two daughters his coheirs, of whom
Agnes, the eldest, married Thomas de Poynings,
who in her right became possessed of it, and in his
name and descendants it continued down to Sir Edward Poynings, governor of Dover-castle, and lord
warden, and he died possessed of it in the 14th year
of king Henry VIII. anno 1522, not only without
legitimate issue, though he had several natural children, but without any collateral kindred, who could
lay claim to his estates, so that this manor, among
others, escheated to the crown. (fn. 3)
After which, king Henry VIII. granted this manor
to Sir Thomas Wyatt, who in pursuance of an act
passed for the purpose, in the 32d year of that reign,
conveyed it back among other premises in the year
following, in exchange to the king. After which it
seems to have remained in the hands of the crown,
till the year after the attainder and execution of his
son Sir Thomas Wyatt, when queen Mary, in her
second year, out of her royal bounty, granted it to his
widow, the lady Jane Wyatt, to hold of her, as of her
manor of Est Grenewich, by knight's service, and not
in capite. This grant seems to have been only for the
term of her life, and of her son George Wyatt, who
was restored in blood in the 13th year of queen Elizabeth, during which time the reversion of it was
granted by king James, in his 16th year, to Thomas
Hooker and John Spencer, gent. who joining in a fine
levied for that purpose, settled it on the heirs of Geo.
Wyatt, esq. above-mentioned. He died in the possession of it in 1624, when Francis Wyatt, esq. of
Boxley-abbey, was found to be his eldest son and heir,
and accordingly succeeded to it. (fn. 4) He was afterwards
knighted, and some years afterwards joining with lady
Margaret his wife, conveyed it by sale to Mr. Isaac
Seward, gent. from which name it afterwards passed
into that of Baker, in which it remained till it was
carried in marriage by Jane Baker to James Brewer, of
West Farleigh, esq. who died in 1724, leaving an only
daughter and heir Jane, who joined with her second
husband, John Shrimpton, esq. in the conveyance of
it, about the year 1750, to Mr. Robert Wollet, of
Sheerness, who died in 1760, and his infant daughter,
Sarah, afterwards marrying with Mr. Tho. March,
entitled him to it. He rebuilt this seat, and afterwards resided in it. He died in 1797, leaving one son,
Mr. Thomas Marsh, who is the present owner of it.
POSIERS is a small manor in this parish, which was
antiently the inheritance of a family of that surname,
who continued owners of it till the reign of king
Henry VIII. about which time they became extinct
here. After which it became the property of the family of Wolgate, whose seat was at Wolgate, now
called Wilgate-green, in Throwley, where they resided for several generations. At length it became the
property of Mr. Ralph Wolgate, who died possessed
of it in 1642, leaving an only daughter and heir, who
marrying with Mr. William Gennery, entitled him to
the fee of this manor, with other estates in this parish.
After which it was sold to Grove, of Tunstall, one of
whom, John Grove, esq. of Tunstall, died possessed
of it in 1755, leaving by Catherine his wife, daughter
of Mr. Pearce, of Charing, two sons, Pearce and Richard, and a daughter Anne. He devised this manor
to his second son Richard Grove, esq. of the Temple,
London, and of St.John's college, Cambridge, who
dying unmarried in 1792, devised it among the rest of
his estates to W. Jemmet, gent. of Ashford, and W.
Marshall, of London, and they joined in the sale of
it to W. Wife, gent. of this parish, who is the present
possessor of this manor, with that of Vigo, alias Gorts
adjoining to it.
THERE was antiently a family which took its name
from their possessions in this parish. Philip de Borden
is mentioned in the chartulary of the abbey of St.
Radigund, as having given half a seam of peas yearly
from his manor in Borden to that abbey, and Osbert
de Borden is recorded in a charter of king Henry III.
and another of Henry IV. as having given pasture for
sixty sheep to the monastery of St. Sexburg, in the
Isle of Shepey.
There is A HAMLET in this parish, called Woodstreet, but formerly HOADE STREET, corruptly for
Oade-street, the yoke of which in 1653, was held by
William Genery, already mentioned before.
The family of Allen was formerly of good account
in Borden, and resided at Hoad, or Oade street. John
Allen resided here in the very beginning of queen Elizabeth's reign, and then held among other premises
in this parish, the yoke of Boxfield. His descendant
John Allen, gent. Of Oade street, died in 1679, and
was buried in this church, they bore for their arms,
Or, a chevron, between three blood-bounds, passant, sable,
collared of the first; which coat was granted to Christopher Allen, by Sir William Segar, bart. (fn. 5) The Allens of Rochester, descended of the same stock, bore
Parted per fess, a pale ingrailed, and three blood-bounds,
passant, collared and counter changed.
A younger branch of the family of Forster, of Eve
leigh, in Shropshire, was settled in Borden in the reign
of king James I. Thomas Forster then residing here;
but this family have been long ago extinct here. They
bore for their arms, Per fess, indented and pale, argent
and sable, two bugle borns strung in the first and fourth
Thomas Seager held in this parish in 1653, the yoke
of Corbett, containing a house, called Banfies, and
other lands in this parish, lately belonging to Thomas
Reader; which name of Seager remained here till of
late years, one of them having but lately owned a
house here, called Borden-hall, alias Borden-court belonging to the rectory, of which a further account
will be given hereafter.
The family of Napleton, which was possessed of
good estates in many parishes of this county, resided
here for some generations; but they have been for
some time extinct. Several of them lie buried in this
church. They bore for their arms, Or, a squirrel
There is an estate in this parish, formerly called
WRENS, but now usually Rains farm, which in 1664
was held of Tunstall manor, by Richard, son of Christopher Allen, esq. from which name it was passed
away to Mr. Butler Lacy, and his daughters now
THOMAS EVERARD, formerly vicar of this parish, gave by
will in 1619, two pieces of land, containing about six acres, in
Borden and Stockbury, for the use of the poor, of the annual
value of 1l. 10s. and a silver cup for the use of the communion
MICHEAL GOODLARD, of Borden, gave a house, with an
orchard and garden, to the use of the poor, of the annual produce of 4l.
A PERSON UNKNOWN, gave five seams of barley, to be paid
yearly on a Good Friday out of the parsonage; and two bushels
of wheat yearly on Easter-day, for the use of the poor farmers
of this parish.
Mr. JOHN KENWARD gave one seam of malt, to be paid
yearly on Ascension Thursday, out of some tithe-free land belonging to a farm at Oade-street, late Mrs. Hendresse's.
A PERSON UNKNOWN, gave five groats-worth of bread, to
be paid yearly on Easter day, out of a house and orchard called
Iron-latche, late belonging to Mr. Stephen Chapman, of Sittingborne.
MR. RALPH SHERWOOD, citizen of London, in 1700 gave
a cushion and pulpit-cloth, and a cloth for the reading-desk.
MR. JOHN NAPLETON, and Elizabeth his wife, of this parish, gave a very handsome silver slaggon for the use of the
MR. JOHN BROMFIELD, of Borden, in 1776, gave to the
value of 10l. towards erecting the altar-piece.
MR. WILLIAM BARROW, of Borden, who died in 1707, devised the greatest part of his estates in this and many other parishes in this county, to four trustees, to the use of the poor widows and poor men of this parish, not entitled to receive alms,
directing the rents of them to be distributed half yearly, the
annual amount of them now being 609l. 17s. 6d.
The distribution of this charity was settled and established
by a decree of the court of chancery, in the 8th year of queen
Anne; by which it was ordered, that the income of this estate
should be distributed half yearly to the poor men and poor widows of this parish, the poorest of it next above those who ought to
be entitled to relief by the poor's rate; that the proportion of
the distribution ought to be equal to all, and not less than 5l.
in one year to each; that the trustees should account annually
to a vestry of this parish, who should pass and allow the same,
and should be allowed their costs and expences in the managing
of it. According to which decree this charity is now managed.
Two of the trustees act yearly, one of whom makes the Ladyday distribution, and the other that at Michaelmas. The total
annual rents now amount to the sum of 584l. 16s. besides forty
acres of woodland, and the clear sum distributed, after all payments and deductions, amounts to about 200l. per annum.
The poor relieved annually, (exclusive of those by Mr. Barrow's charity) are about 28, casually 30.
BORDEN is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and
St. Paul, is a handsome building, consisting of three
isles and three chancels, with a square tower at the
west end of it, in which there is a clock, and six bells.
It is built mostly of flint, but as a mark of its antiquity, it has a Roman brick or two interspersed among
them, and the mortar is composed of cockle-shells.
What is very remarkable, in the steeple there are the
remains of a chimney, which seems coeval with it.
The door-case on the western side of the steeple is of
Saxon architecture, with zigzag ornaments, as is that
on the opposite or inner side, but of a much larger
size. It is kept exceedingly clean and neat, and the
greatest part of it has been lately ceiled, that part of it
over the high chancel, at the expence of the lay impropriator. In the high chancel is a brass plate and
essigies for William Fordinall, vicar, obt. anno 1490.
Several of the family of Plot lie buried in the south
chancel, and there are monuments for Robert Plot,
anno 1669, and his son Dr. Robert Plot, anno 1696;
and there are among others in this church memorials
for the Seagars, Barrows, Napletons, and Allens, all
of whom have been mentioned before.
The church of Borden was part of the possessions
of the priory of Leeds, to which it was appropriated
before the 8th of king Richard II. (fn. 6) In which situation
it continued at the dissolution of it in the 31st year
of Henry VIII. when it was, together with the other
possessions of the priory, surrendered up into the
It appears by the bailiff's accounts in the Augmentation-office, of the revenues of the late priory of
Leeds, that this rectory with the lands in this parish
belonging to it, was then of the annual value of
41l. 14s. 5d. Soon after which it was granted by the
king to Greene, but it seems to have been only for a
term, for king Edward VI. in his 6th year, granted it,
with all messuages and woods belonging to it, to Sir
John Norton, of Northwood, to hold in capite by
knight's service. He alienated it to Margaret Roch,
who died in the 1st year of queen Elizabeth, and was
succeeded in it by Elizabeth her daughter and heir,
whose husband, Robert Colt, possessed it in her right.
She survived him and died possessed of it, in the 13th
year of that reign, at which time it appears to have
been accounted a manor, and to have consisted of a
house called Borden-hall, with its appurtenances, and
three acres of land, with the rectory, tithes, and glebe
belonging to it, in Borden. Her son Roger Colt died
three years afterwards, leaving his widow Mary surviving, who afterwards married John Norris, esq.
His grandson, Sir John Colt, bart. left three sons,
John, Rowland, and Henry, who became entitled to
this rectory and advowson, with the manor and lands
appertaining to it, as coheirs to their father, in gavelkind; the eldest son, John Colte, esq. was of Rickmansworth, in Hertsordshire, and left an only daughter and heir, Gentilles, who entitled her husband, Sir
Benjamin Titchborne, (a younger son of Sir Benjamin Tichborne, bart. of Hampshire) to his undivided
third part of them, and his son Colte Tichborne, esq.
of Woodoaks, in Hertfordshire, (which had been the
antient seat of the Coltes) conveyed it jointly with his
sister Frances in 1743, to Joseph Musgrave, esq.
Rowland and Henry, the two younger sons of Sir John
Colte above-mentioned, in 1676 conveyed their respective thirds to Mr. Charles Seager, gent. of Tunstall, whose son and heir of the same name was of
Borden-hall, gent. and dying in 1758, was buried,
with others of his family in this church. They bore
for their arms, Or, a chevron between three mullets,
azure. He devised them by will to his sister Mrs.
Mary Seager, who in 1765 conveyed her two undivided
thirds to Joseph Musgrave, esq. son of Joseph Musgrave, esq. above-mentioned, who having inherited
the other third part from his father, became possessed
of the entire see of this rectory and advowson, with
the manor of Borden-hall, and the lands and appurtenances belonging to it, of which he is the present
owner. Joseph Musgrave, is of Kypier, in the bishopric of Durham, and is descended from Joseph
Musgrave, esq. of that place, the eldest son of George,
the youngest son of Sir Christopher Musgrave, by his
second wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Frank
lyn, which Sir Christopher, by his first wife, was ancestor of the present Sir Philip Musgrave, of Edenhall, in Cumberland, and of Kempton park, in Middlesex, bart. and was younger brother of Sir Richard
Musgrave, bart. grandson of Sir Richard, who was
created a baronet anno 9 James I. He bears for his
arms, Azure, six annulets, three, two, and one, or.
The vicarage of Borden is valued in the king's
books at 8l. 10s. and the yearly tenths at seventeen
shillings. It is now of the yearly certified value of
67l. 14s. Sir John Norton, and Alice his wife, gave
an annuity of forty shillings, to be paid yearly out of
the parsonage, to the vicar of Borden and his successors. In 1578 there were fifty-three dwelling-houses
in this parish. Communicants one hundred and sixty.
In 1640 it was valued at eighty pounds. Communicants two hundred and seven.
A part of the portion of tithes, already mentioned in
the description of the parish of Stockbury, called Ambry Tanton, extends into this parish.
There seems to have been continual disputes between the abbot and convent of St. Augustine's, and
the prior and convent of Leeds, relative to the church
of Borden, which at last was finally settled between
them, about the year 1204; the prior agreeing to pay
one marc of silver to the church of St. Augustine.
Church of Borden.
|Or by whom presented.|
|John Norris, esq. in right of Mary
his wife, widow of R. Colte, esq.||Richard Parteriche, ind. Feb. 22,
1593, obt. 1611.|
|The King, has vice.||Thomas Evered, A. M. Feb. 13,
1611. obt. 1619.|
|Michael Beresford, A. M. June
12, 1619, obt. 1648.|
|John Colte, esq. of Rickmansworth||John Woodcock, obt. 1657.|
|Thomas Griffin, obt. 1670.|
|Thomas Haines, A. M. Sept. 24,
|Anne Colte.||Thomas Milway, A. B. May 26,
1673, vacated 1690.|
|The crown, by lapse.||William Edward, A. M. Feb. 3,
1690, obt. 1704.|
|Sir Benjamin Titchborne.||John Bland, A. M. 1704, obt.
|Ralph Milway, A. M. May 16,
1710, obt. 1759. (fn. 7) |
|Mary Seager, of Borden, spinster.||John Smith, A. M. April 15,
1760, obt. Nov. 11, 1768.|
|Joseph Musgrave, esq.||Thomas Frank, LL. B. Nov. 30.
1768, obt. 1794. (fn. 8) |
|William Filmer, A. M. 1794,
the present vicar.|