LIES the next parish south-west ward from Milton
last-described, at a very small distance northward from
the high London road at Key-street.
THE PARISH of Bobbing lies almost the whole of
it on the northern side of the high London road,
nearly at the 39th mile stone. It is not an unpleasant
situation, though at the same time it has not the character of being very healthy. It contains about seven
hundred and eighty acres of land, of which forty are
wood, the soil is in general poor, much of it on the
high ground is either a gravel sand, or a mixture of
clay, but in the lower parts, especially in the northern
towards Milton, there is some good fertile level land.
The high road runs along the southern boundaries of
it, excepting at Key-street, where it extends some
way up the Detling road; hence the hill rises to high
ground, on which, about half a mile from the road,
is the church, and close to the church-yard the ruins
of Bobbing-court, with the few houses that compose
the village on the other side of it. At a small distance
from these ruins southward, on the brow of the hill,
at the end of the toll of elms leading from the high
road, Arthur Gore, esq. of the kingdom of Ireland,
built on colonel Tyndale's land a few years ago, a
small shooting seat, which has since been further improved by his cousin Sir Booth Gore, bart. of Sligo, in
Ireland, being so created on August 30, 1760, and
they both pretty constantly reside in it; the house
commands the view of the London road, and a fine
one southward beyond it; below the descent of the
hill, northward from the church, is Bobbing-place, a
low situation near the boundaries of this parish next
At the south-west corner of the parish, on the London road, is a small hamlet of houses called Key-street,
corruptly probably for caii stratum, or Caius's-street,
though the ale-house in it, the sign of which seems to
have arisen from the name of the street, has raised a
notion of the street's taking its name from thence.
Here is a large house lately erected by Mr. William
Boykett, who resides in it.
In this street there was antiently a spital-house for
the use of the poor and diseased.
About a mile southward from hence on the high road
to Detling, there is a gravel pit of an unusual depth
and length, the hollowing of which must have been
the work of great labour and length of time, insomuch
that if I may be allowed the conjecture, I should suppose it was made by the Romans, who took their materials from thence to make their road, which still
remains visible from Key-street to Sittingborne, the
quantity of gravel with which that way is raised, being
only to be supplied from so large a place as this is.
There was formerly a quintin in this parish, the field
in which it stood being still called from thence the
There is an antient allowed fair here, held formerly on St. Bartholomew's day, now by alteration of
the stile on Sept. 4, yearly, the profits of which belong to the lord of Milton manor.
THE PARAMOUNT MANOR of Milton claims over
this parish, subordinate to which is the MANOR OF
BOBBING, the mansion of which, called Bobbingcourt, was the antient residence of the family of Savage, or Le Sauvage, as they were called in French,
who were of eminent account, and possessed good
estates in this part of Kent; and Leland, in his Itinerary says, this manor had before belonged to the
family of Molynes.
Ralph de Savage, the first owner of this manor, of
the name whom I have met with, was present with
king Richard I. at the siege of Acon, in Palestine.
His descendants Sir John de Savage, Sir Thomas de
Savage, of Bobing, and Sir Roger de Savage, were
with king Edward I. with many other gentlemen of
this county, at the siege of Carlaverock, in Scotland,
in the 28th year of his reign, and were all honored
there with the degree of knighthood.
Roger le Sauvage possessed this manor in the next
reign of king Edward II. and in the 5th year of it
obtained free-warren, and other liberties for his lands
in Bobbynges, Middelton, Borden, Newenton, and
In the descendants of this family, who bore for
their arms, Argent, six lions rampant, sable, three, two
and one, which coat is still remaining on the roof of
the cloysters of Canterbury cathedral, and in the
chapter-house there, men of eminent degree in the
times in which they flourished, whose burial place was
within the north chancel of this church, this manor
continued down to Arnold Savage, esq. who died s. P.
in 1420, so that Eleanor his sister, who had been first
married to Sir Reginald Cobham, by whom she left
no issue, and was then the wife of William Clifford,
esq. became his heir, as well in this manor as the rest
of his possessions. The family of Clifford was descended from ancestors seated at Clifford-castle, in Herefordshire, as early as the beginning of Henry II.'s
reign, several of whom were summoned to parliament,
among the barons of this realm. At length Roger de
Clifford, who married Matilda, daughter of Thomas
de Beauchamp, earl of Warwick, and died anno 13
Richard II. leaving three sons, of whom Thomas was
the eldest, from whom descended the Cliffords, earls
of Cumberland; the Boyles, lords Clifford, of Lonsborough; Thomas, earl of Thanet, lord Clifford, and
his daughter the lady Margaret Tuston, lady Clifford,
married to Coke, earl of Leicester.
Sir William Clifford, the second son, died s.p. and
Lewis Clifford, the third son, was a man of note in the
military line, as well as in state affairs, and in the 6th
year of Richard II. was made a knight of the garter.
He died anno 4 Henry IV. leaving one son William,
who as before-mentioned, married the sister of Arnold
Savage, esq. and in her right became possessed of
Bobbing manor, (fn. 1) a younger branch of which family
had been settled at Bobbing-place, in this parish,
some time before. The Cliffords, of Bobbing, bore
for their arms, Chequy, or, and sable, a fess and bordure,
gules, on the fess, a crescent argent, for difference, which
coat they quartered with that of Savage. These arms
of Clifford are on the roof of the cloysters of Canterbury cathedral, and in St. Margaret's church, in Canterbury, impaled with Savage. The first lord Clifford
of this family, bore Chequy, or, and azure, a bendlet,
gules, which the elder brethren kept as long as they
continued; a second son turned the bendlet into a
bend, and placed on it three lioneux, passant, or, from
whom the Cliffords of Frampton are descended. Roger Clifford, second son of Walter the first lord, for the
bendlet took a fess gules, which was borne by the earls
of Cumberland, and others of that branch. Those of
Kent added the bordure to the fess, and a crescent on it,
for difference; and Sir Conyers bore the chequy, or,
and sable, as appears by his coat of arms on an original
picture of him, painted in 1595.
William Clifford, before-mentioned, was sheriff
both in the 4th and 13th years of king Henry VI. and
died in the 16th year of that reign, leaving two sons,
Lewis, who succeeded him in his estates in this county,
and John, who was ancestor to the lords Clifford, of
Lewis Clifford, the eldest son, resided at Bobbing,
court, whose son Alexander Clifford, esq. kept his
shrievalty there in the 5th year of king Edward IV.
and dying in the 10th year of Henry VII. left six
sons, of whom Lewis Clifford, the eldest, succeeded
him in this manor, and was sheriff in the 13th year of
king Henry VII. He left by his first wife Mildred,
daughter of Bartholomew Bourne, esq. of Sharsted,
two sons, Nicholas, who was of Sutton Valence, and
left a sole daughter and heir, married first to Harpur,
and secondly to Moore, (fn. 1) and Richard.
Nicholas Clifford, esq. the eldest son, possessed this
manor of Bobbing on his father's death, but removing to Sutton Valence, or Town Sutton, as it is now
called. He sold it presently afterwards to Sir Thomas
Neville, but Richard Clifford, esq. the younger son,
repurchased it of him, and died possessed of it, being
succeeded in it by his son George Clifford, esq. who
resided at Bobbing-court in the middle of the reign
of queen Elizabeth, and left seven sons and three
daughter, of whom Henry Clifford, esq. the eldest
son, succeeded him in this manor, which he afterwards
alienated to his younger brother, Sir Conyers Clifford,
and dame Mary his wife, the daughter of Francis
Southwell, esq. of Windham-hall, in Norfolk, and
had been married first to Thomas Sydney, esq. of this
county, and afterwards to Nicholas Gorge, esq. Her
third husband was Sir Conyers Clifford, of Bobbingcourt, above mentioned, who was governor of Connaught, in Ireland, and a privy counsellor of that
kingdom, by whom she had two sons, Henry and
Conyers. She survived him, and afterwards possessed
solely this manor, to whom the entitled her fourth
husband Sir Anthony St. Leger, master of the rolls in
Ireland, and a privy counsellor there, who was third
son of Sir Anthony St. Leger, of Ulcomb, lord deputy of Ireland. She had by him, who survived her,
one son Anthony, and dying in 1603, æt 37, was buried in St. Patrick's church, Dublin. By her will she
devised this manor, in equal shares, to her two sons
Henry and Conyers Clifford, and her son Anthony
St. Leger, afterwards knighted, and of Wiertonhouse, in Boughton Monchelsea. They quickly afterwards joined in the sale of it to Sir Edward Duke,
of Cosington, in Aylesford, who not long afterwards
passed it away by sale to Sir Richard Gurney, alderman of London, who was afterwards in 1641 created
a baronet, being then lord-mayor, who bore for his
arms, Paly of six, per fess, counter changed, or, and azure, (fn. 1)
which coat was in allusion to that borne by Hugh
Gorney, a Norman, created earl of Gorney by William Rusus, who bore Paly, six, or, and azure. He
alienated it to his brother-in-law Henry Sandford,
esq. who died possessed of it in 1660, bearing for his
arms, Ermine, on a fess, gules, two boars heads couped, or.
He left by her four daughters his coheirs, Christian;
Angelica, married to Henry Thornhill, esq. Mary;
and Frances, the latter of whom carried this manor
in marriage to Sir George Moore, bart. who had been
so created in 1665, being stiled of Maids Morton, in
Buckinghamshire, bearing for his arms, On a fess, three
fleurs de lis, between three mullets. He died possessed
of it in 1678, and was buried in the north chancel of
this church. He died s. p. leaving his widow surviving, and possessed of this manor, which she the
next year carried in marriage to colonel Edw. Diggs,
the fifth son of Thomas Diggs, esq. of Chilham-castle, who dying s. p she again married colonel Robert
Crayford, governor of the fort of Sheerness, who survived her, and became possessed of this manor, which
he afterwards, in the reign of king William, sold to
Thomas Tyndale, gent. of North Nibley, in Gloucestershire, who was descended of a family originally
settled in Northumberland, whence a descendant of
it removed to North Nibley, which estate Thomas
Tyndale sold on his purchasing this manor. His son
William Tyndale, esq. who pulled down this mansion, and dying in 1748, was buried in the fouth
chancel of Bobbing church; leaving no issue, he by
will devised this manor in tail male to his collateral
kinsman, the Rev. William Tyndale, rector of Coats,
in Gloucestershire, whose son Thomas Tyndale, esq.
of North Cerney, in that county, died in 1783, having married Elizabeth, third daughter of Charles
Coxe, esq. of Gloucestershire, whom he left surviving, and by her one son, lieutenant-colonel William
Tyndale, the present possessor of this manor, and a
daughter Anne-Catherine. He bears for his arms,
Argent, a fess, gules, between three garbs, sable.
The mansion of Bobbing-court, which was situated
exceedingly pleasant, having a fine prospect on every
side of it, stood almost adjoining to the fouth side of
the church-yard. It has been many years since pulled
down, but by the foundations remaining, the walls of
the garden, and the out-offices belonging to it, which
are yet standing, it appears to have been a building
of a very considerable size.
There is a court baron regularly held for this manor.
BOBBING-PLACE was an antient seat in this parish,
situated at the northern extremity of it, adjoining to
Milton, which seems to have been the antient residence of the family of Clifford, before they became
possessed of the manor and court of Bobbing, as heir
to the Savages.
A younger collateral branch of them, in the person
of Robert Clifford, esq. of Bobbing, a younger brother of Richard, bishop of Worcester and London,
successively, kept his shrievalty in this parish, both in
the 1st year of Henry IV. and in the 2d and 3d years
of Henry V. in the 8th year of which he was knight
of the shire with Arnold Savage. He died in 1422,
and was buried in the cathedral of Canterbury.
It afterwards passed into the name of Gorham, and
thence into that of Tuston, and in the reign of king
Charles I. this seat was the property and residence of
Sir Humphry Tuston, the second surviving son of Sir
John Tuston, knight and baronet, of Hothfield, and
next brother to Nicholas, first earl of Thanet. He
resided at times both here and at the Mote, in Maidstone, and in 1641 was created a baronet. He died
at Bobbing-place in 1659, and was buried in this
Sir John Tuston, knight and baronet, his eldest
surviving son, resided entirely at the Mote, and dying
in 1685, s. p. was buried in Maidstone church. By
his will he devised this seat to trustees, to be sold for
the payment of his debts, and they accordingly,
in 1687, conveyed it by sale to major Thomas Cooke,
of Faversham, who alienated it in 1692 to Mr. Thomas Sole, of Milton, shipbuilder. He married in
1688, Mary Cockin, of that parish, by whom he left
Cockin Sole, esq. barrister-at-law and recorder of
Queenborough, who resided here, where he died in
1750, leaving one son, and a daughter Catherine, who
married first Mr. Nowell, and secondly John Constantine Jennings, esq. He was succeeded in this seat
by his only son John Cockin Sole, esq. who kept his
shrievalty at it in 1756, bearing for his arms, Argent,
a chevron, gules, between three soles hauriant, proper,
all within a bordure, engrailed of the second. He continued to reside here till he removed to Norton-court,
near Faversham, and afterwards, in 1766, pulled down
almost the whole of this seat, leaving of it only sufficient for a mean farm-house. After which he alienated
it to Mr. Thomas Colley, who is rebuilding this seat,
in which he intends to reside.
THERE is a small manor in this parish called UpPER TOES, which formerly belonged to the family of
Bartholomew, of Oxenhoath, from which it has, in
like manner as that estate, become the property of
Sir William Geary, now of Oxenhoath, the present
proprietor of it, and there is another small manor here
called NETHER TOES, which formerly was the estate
of the Barrows, and was given by the will of Mr.
William Barrow, in 1707, among his other estates,
for the benefit of the poor of Borden, in the trustees
of which charity it is now vested.
THOMAS WOLLETT, by will in 1688, gave to such poor as
take no relief, lands and houses vested in the churchwardens
and overseers, now of the annual produce of 1l.
MARY GIBBON gave by will in 1678, the sum of 50 l. for the
purpose of putting to school poor children in this parish, now
of the annual produce of 4 l. 5S.
The poor constantly relieved are about seven; casually ten.
BOBBING is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew,
consists of two small isles and two chancels, having a
tall spire steeple at the west end of it, in which are
In the north chancel are several antient gravestones
of the Savages and Cliffords, many of them entirely
robbed of their brasses, and others only with remnants remaining, on one are the figures in brass of a
man and woman, the former having the surcoat of
Clifford, Chequy, a fess, with a bordure; a memorial
for Sir George Moore, in 1678; a monument for
Henry Sandford, esq. 1660, and Elizabeth his wife,
with their two busts in white marble. In the south
chancel, memorials for William Tyndale, esq. obt.
1748, and for Darell, son of Nathaniel Darell, governor of Sheerness in Charles the IId.'s reign In the
south isle is a monument, having two busts of white
marble on it, for Charles and Humphry Tuston, sons
of Sir Humphry Tuston, of Maidstone, the former
died 1652, the latter 1657, both unmarried; and
memorials for Cobbes, Poole, and others.
The church of Bobbing was given by Henry III.
in his 18th year, to the monastery of St. Mary and St.
Sexburgh, in the Isle, of Shepey; which gift was confirmed by king Henry IV. in his 1st year, by his letters of inspeximus, (fn. 1) and it continued part of the possessions of it till the general dissolution of religious houses
in the reign of king Henry VIII. in the 27th year of
which, this nunnery was suppressed, as not being of
the clear yearly value of two hundred pounds.
This church becoming thus vested in the crown,
the king, in his 35th year, granted the rectory of it,
with its appurtenances, to Thomas Green, to hold in
capite by knight's service, who had been tenant of it
at the dissolution, at the yearly rent of twelve pounds.
He was usually stiled Thomas Norton, alias Green,
being the natural son of Sir John Norton, of Northwood, in Milton, and bore for his arms, Gules, a cross
potent, ermine, within a bordure, argent, and sable. He
died in the 6th year of king Edward VI. leaving two
sons, Norton Green, who left an only daughter and
heir, married to Sir Mark Ive, of Boxsted, in Essex,
and Robert Green, gent. who was of Bobbing.
Norton Green, esq. the eldest son, on his father's
death, became possessed of the rectory of Bobbing impropriate, with the advowson of the vicarage; on whose
death it became the property of Sir Mark Ive, in right
of his wife, and he presented to it in 1607. His son
John Ive, esq. died in king Charles the 1st.'s reign,
leaving an only daughter Anne, then an insant. In the
next reign of king Charles II. Sir George Moore, of
Bobbing-court, owner of the manor of Bobbing, was
possessed of this rectory, with the advowson of the vicarage. Since which it has remained in the like succession of owners as that manor, down to lieutenantcolonel William Tyndale, of Gloucestershire, the present possessor and patron of it.
In the year 1578, here were communicants one hundred and eighteen. In 1640 the vicarage of it was
valued at sixty pounds. Communicants eighty-eight.
There is no valuation of this vicarage in the king's
In the year 1186, the abbot of St. Augustine's monastery demised to the prioress of St. Sexburgh, in
Shepey, the tithes of this parish, which belonged to
them in right of their church of Middleton, at ten
shillings per annum for ever, as has been more fully
mentioned before under that parish.
Church of Bobbing.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Thomas Shawe, obt. 1607.|
|Sir Marcus Ive, of Boxsted.||Francis Reynolds, A. M. May
20, 1607, obt. 1630.|
|The Crown.||John Reader, Sept. 7, 1635. (fn. 1) |
|William Scarlett, in 1663|
|Sir George Moore, of Bobbing-court||Titus Otes, A. B induct. March
13, 1672, resigned. (fn. 2) |
|The Crown, by lapse.||Thomas Conway, inducted Dec.
14, 1689, resigned 1690.|
|Robert Crayford and dame Frances||Robert Philpott, July 9, 1690.|
|Moore his wife.||obt. 1703.|
|William Tyndale, gent.||John Napleton, A. M. Nov.
1703, obt. 1712.|
|John Burman, A. M. Feb. 10,
1712, obt. April 13, 1726. (fn. 3) |
|Richard Fletcher, A. B. induct.
|Isaac Priest, inducted Aug. 5.
1753. obt. 1757.|
|William Tyndale, clerk.||Joseph Parry, A. M. Oct. 21,
1757, the present vicar.|