LIES the next parish north westward from Davington, and is so called from the etymology of it
in the Saxon language, signifying a fenny or marshy
This parish is a very low situation, at the very
edge of the marshes, it is consequently but little
known or frequented, its vicinity to the marshes, and
its low and watry situation, make it very unhealthy,
so that it is but very thinly inhabited, but the lands
are very rich and fertile, the waters of the Swale are
its northern boundaries; on its south it rises up towards Bysing-wood, from which it is distant about a
mile. The village is occupied by a few fishermen and
oyster dredgers, situated near the middle of the parish
on a small ascent, having the church about a quarter
of a mile to the north-westward of it, and Ore-court
at the like distance, at the edge of the marshes. The
creek, which is navigable up to the village, whence it
runs north-east, and at a little more than half a mile's
distance joins the Faversham creek, and flows with it
about the like distance, till it meets the waters of the
Several scarce plants have been observed in this parish by Mr. Jacob, who has enumerated them among
his Plantæ Favershamienses, to which book the reader
is referred for a list of them.
THE MANOR of Ore was part of the vast possessions of Odo, bishop of Baieux, and earl of Kent, the
Conqueror's half-brother, under the general title of
whose lands it is thus entered in the general survey of
In Lest de Wiwarlet. In Favreshant hundered, Adam
holds of the bishop (of Baieux) Ore. It was taxed at
two sulings. The arable lands are four carucates. In demesne there is one, and ten villeins, with ten borderers,
having two carucates. There is half a church, and one
mill of twenty-two shillings, and two fisheries without
tallage, and one salt-pit of twenty-eight pence. Wood for
the pannage of six bogs. In the time of king Edward the
Confessor it was worth four pounds, and afterwards sixty
shillings, now one hundred shillings. Turgis held it of
And a little afterwards there is another entry as
Adam holds of the bishop one yoke in Ore, and it was
taxed at one yoke. The arable land is one carucate.
Four villeins now hold this to ferme, and pay twenty
shillings, and it was worth so much separately. There is
a church. Leunold held it of king Edward.
Four years after the taking of the above survey, the
bishop of Baieux was disgraced, and all his possessions
were consiscated to the crown.
Upon which the manor of Ore came to be held
immediately, or in capite of the king, by the beforementioned. Adam de Port, of whose heirs it was afterwards again held by Arnulf Kade, who gave this
manor, with that of Stalishfield, and their appurtenances, to the knights hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, and it was assigned by them to the jurisdiction of their preceptory, established at Swingfield.
The manor of Ore continued part of the possessions
of these knights till the general dissolution of their hospital in the 32d year of Henry VIII. when this order
was suppressed by an act then specially passed for that
purpose. (fn. 1)
This manor seems to have remained in the hands
of the crown till king Edward VI. granted it in his
5th year, to Edward, lord Clinton and Say, who next
year re-conveyed it back again to the king. (fn. 2)
How it passed from the crown afterwards I have not
found, but that at length it came into the possession
of the family of Monins, and thence by sale to that
of Short, one of which, Samuel Short, esq. owned it
in 1722, and it continued down in his descendants to
Philip Short, esq. who was succeeded in it by Mr.
Charles Maples Short, who died a few years ago at
Jamaica, on which it became vested in Mr. Humphry Munn, gent. in right of Lydia Short his wife.
Hence it passed by sale to Mr. Bonnick Lipyeatt, who
died in 1789, leaving two daughters his coheirs, who
married Mr. Charles Brooke, of London, and Mr.
Gosselin, and entitled them respectively to this estate.
A court leet and court baron is held for this manor.
There are noparochial charities. The poor constantly relieved here are not more than two; casually
ORE is within the ECCLESTASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church which is dedicated to St. Peter, is a small
building, of one isle and one chancel, having a pointed
steeple at the west end, in which are two bells.
This church, which was antiently accounted only
as a chapel to that of Stalisfield, belonged to the priory
of St. Gregory, in Canterbury, perhaps part of its
orignal endowment by archbishop Lanfranc, in the
time of the Conqueror, and it was confirmed to it,
among its other possessions, by archbishop Hubert,
about the reign of king Richard I.
In the 8th year of Richard II. there was a yearly
pension paid from the church of Ore, of ten shillings
to the priory of Rochester, and another of eight shilling to that of Leeds. (fn. 3)
This church remained part of the possessions of the
priory of St. Gregory, till the dissolution of it in the
reign of Henry VIII. in the 27th year of which, an
act having passed for the suppression of all such religious houses, whose revenues did not amount to the
clear yearly value of two hundred pounds, this priory
was thereby dissolved, and the scite of it, together
with all its lands, possessions, and revenues, surrendered into the king's hands, by John Symkins, prior
The church of Ore remained with the other possessions of the priory in the crown but a small time,
for an act passed that year to enable the king and the
archbishop of Canterbury to exchange the scite of the
late dissolved priory of St. Radigund near Dover, with
all its possessions, lately given by the king to the archbishop, for the scite of the late dissolved priory of St.
Gregory, and all the possessions belonging to it, excepting the manor of Howfield, in Chartham.
After which the parsonage of this church was demised by the archbishop, as it has been since by his
successors, among the rest of the revenues of the priory
of St. Gregory, from time to time, in one great lease,
(in which all advowsons and nominations to churches
and chapels have constantly been excepted) in which
state it continues at this time. George Gipps, esq. of
Harbledown, M.P. is the present lessee of then to
the archbishop, and Mr. John Hope, of Ore, is the
present leffee under him for the parsonage of this
church, at the yearly rent of thirty-four pounds.
It pays, procurations to the archdecaon five shillings, and to the archbishop at his visitaiton two shillings. When the church of Ore was separated from
that of Stalisfield, I have not found, but it has long
been an independent church of itself.
It was, long before the dissolution of the priory of
St. Gregory, served as a curacy by the religious of it;
since which it has been esteemed as a perpetual curacy,
of the patronage of the successive archbishops of Canterbury, and continues to at this time. In 1640 the
communicants here were forty-seven.
The lessee of the parsonage pays the curate, by the
convenants of his lease, the yearly sum of fifteen
Before the year 1755, it had been augmented by
the governors of queen Anne's bounty with the sum
of two hundred pounds, and divine service was performed here only once a fortnight; since which it has
been augmented with 1000l. more, and it is now performed here once a week. Of the above sum of 1200l.
in the year 1764, 260l. were laid out in the purchase
of an estate, of a house, buildings, and twenty-two
acres of land, in Ospringe; and in 1770, another estate
was purchased, consisting of a house, buildings, and
thirty-three acres of land, in Boughton under Blean.
The remaining 280l. yet remain in the governors
Church of Ore.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Robert Harrison, obt. 1755. (fn. 4) |
|Archbishop of Canterbury.||Francis-Frederick Girand, A. M.
the present curate. (fn. 5) |