LIES the next parish north-westward from Ore,
and was, in the reign of the Conqueror, called Cildresham, by which name it is described in the survey of
IT is situated about a mile northward of the high
London road from Judde-hill, the southern part of it
reaching up to Bizing wood, part of which is within
it. It lies very low and flat; the arable lands in it,
which consist of about three hundred and ninety-six
acres, and the upland, meadow, and pasture, of about
two hundred acres, are very rich and fertile; near one
half of it is marsh land, which reaches to the waters
of the Swale, which are its northern boundary.
The church stands nearly in the middle of the upland part of it, and the parsonage-house, which has a
mote round it, near half a mile southward of it, close
to Bysing-wood. There is no village, and not more
than ten houses in the parish, the unhealthiness of its
situation occassions its being but very thinly inhabited,
those who risk their lives in it seldom attaining any
THERE ARE some parts of this parish which lie at
some distance from the rest of it, several other parishes
intervening: in Perry-field, almost opposite the 47th
mile-stone on the high London road, but on the other
or south side of it, there are twenty-two acres of land,
and between Goodneston and Boughton under Blean,
there are thirty-two acres of land belonging to this
parish. There are many instances of the like in different parts of this county, and in this neighbourhood
in particular there are several, for a part of the parish
of Morton, near Sittingborne, lies within this parish
of Luddenham, and entirely surrounded by it, several
other parishes intervening between this part of Murston and the rest of it. Part of Preston parish lies near
Davington-hill; Upleez farm, the property of lord
Romney, which lies westward of Ore, is in Faversham
parish; and part of Ospringe parish lies surrounded
by the town of Faversham and its liberties.
MR. JACOB among his Plantæ a Favershamienses, has
given a list of a number of scarce plants found by him
in this parish, to which the reader is referred for an
account of them.
THIS PLACE was part of the vast possessions of
Odo, bishop of Baieux, under the general title of
whose lands it is thus entered in the survey of
Anssrid holds of the bishop of Baieux Cildresham. It
was taxed at one suling. The arable land is three carucates. In demesne there is one carucate and an half.
There are five servants, and two acres of meadow. There
is wood, but it pays nothing.
Upon the bishop's disgrace, about four years afterwards, this estate came to the crown, among the rest
of this possessions, whence it was granted by the king,
among other lands, to Fulbert de Dover, for his assistance, in the defence of Dover castle. These lands
were held of the king in capite by barony, the tenant
being bound by his tenure to maintain a certain number of soldiers, from time to time, for the defence of
Of Fulbert de Dover and his heirs, this place was
held, as one knight's fee, of the honour of Chilham,
which they made the caput baroniæ, or chief seat of
THE MANOR OF LUDDENHAM came afterwards
into the possession of a family who fixed their name
on it. William de Luddenham, in the 13th year of
king John's reign, held it as one knight's see, of the
honor of Chilham, in manner as before mentioned.
His heirs, in the next reign of Henry III. sold this
manor to the Northwoods, one of whom, Sir Roger
de Northwood, in the 41st year of that reign, procured licence to alter the tenure of his lands from gavelkind to that of knight's service, of which there is a
recapitulation in the Book of Aid, and among them
mention is made of ninety acres of marsh land, which
lay partly in his manor of Luddenham, and partly in
From the family of Northwood this manor passed
into that of Frogenhall; John de Frogenhall, at the
latter end of king Edward the IIId.'s reign, died possessed of it, with an appendage called Bishopsbush.
After which it at length descended in the beginning
of king Edward the IVth.'s reign to Thomas Frogenhall, who married Joane, daughter and heir of
William de Apulderfield, and dying in 1576, being
the 17th year of that reign, was buried with his wife
in Faversham church; their daughter and sole heir
Anne, carried this manor in marriage to Mr. Thomas
Quadring, of London, and he in like manner leaving
one sole daughter and heir Joane. she entitled her
husband Richard Dryland, of Cooksditch, in Faversham, to the possession of it. He alenated the appendage of Bishopsbush above-mentioned, to Crispe,
who passed it away to Mr. William Hayward, from
which name it went in marriage to Mr. Thomas
Southhouse, gent. who possessed it at the end of king
Charles I.'s reign; but both the name and situation
of the estate have been for some time so totally for
gotten, that the most diligent enquiries cannot trace
out either of them.
But the manor of Luddenham itself went with Katherine, the sole daughter and heir of Richard Dryland, in marriage to Reginald Norton, of Lees-court,
in Sheldwich, from which name it passed by sale, in
king James I.'s reign, to Francis Cripps, esq. who
sold it to Kirton, from which name it passed, in king
James II.'s reign, to John Briant, esq. whose heirs
passed it away, in king George I.'s reign, to Mr. John
Blaxland, and his heirs alienated it, about the year
1753, to Beversham Filmer, esq. of London, a younger son of Sir Robert Filmer, bart. of East Sutton,
and of Lincoln's-inn, barrister-at-law. He died ununmarried, and full of years, in 1763, (fn. 1) having by his
will given this manor, among the rest of his lands
in this county and elsewhere, to his eldest nephew,
Sir John Filmer, bart. of East Sutton, who died s. p.
in 1797, and by will devised this estate to his next
brother, Sir Bevertham Filmer, bart. the present owner
of it. A court baron is held for his manor.
At the court held for the manor of Chilham, the
tenant of this manor is constantly presented by the
jury for default of service, as being held of it under
the notion of one knight's fee, and he is always
amerced at two shillings, the payment of which is
never with-held by him.
HAM is a principal estate, adjoining to the marshes,
at the eastern boundary of this parish, and partly in
that part of Preston which is separated from the rest
of it by Davington and Ospringe intervening, being
within that appendage to the manor of Copton, called
from hence Hamme marsh. This estate, for several
generations, belonged to the family of Roper, lords
Teynham, and was sold in 1766 by Henry Roper,
lord Teynham, to Mr. William Chamberlain, of
London, who sold it to Benjamin Hatley Foote, Esq.
and his son George Talbot Hatley Foote, Esq.
now owns it.
NASHES is an estate in this parish, which formerly
belonged to the Coppingers; Ambrose Coppinger
possessed it in the reign of queen Elizabeth, whence
it passed to the Brewsters, who were owners of much
land at Linsted, Tenham, and other parts of this
neighbourhood; from them it was sold to Mr. James
Tassell, of Linsted; after which it became the property of Dr. Dravid Jones, and afterwards of Mr.
Anthony Ingles, gent. of Ashford, who in 1776 conveyed it be sale to Mr. James Tappenden, gent. of
Faversham, the present owner of it, who is descended
from those of this name, who were for several generations resident at Sittingborne, where several of them
lie buried, and are said to be extracted from the
Denne of Tappenden, in Smarden, and bear for their
arms, Or, two lions passant, in chief, and one in base,
Thomas Streynsham, gent. of Faversham, was possessed
of a farm of 16l. per annum in this parish, Out of the profits
of which, by his will in 1585, he devised 3l. per annum for
ever, to the use of the poor of that parish.
The poor constantly relieved are about twenty; casually
Luddenham is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is a
small building, consisting of one isle and one chancel,
having a tower steeple on the north side of it, in which
are three bells.
This church was formerly an appendage to the
manor of Luddenham, and as such came into the
possession of William de Luddenham before-men
tioned, lord of it, who, as appears by the leiger-book
of the abbey of Faversham, gave this church to the
abbot and convent there, which he did by placing his
knife on the altar in the church of their convent, and
this with the consent of his daughter and heir Matilda,
and of Gaysle his wife, in the presence of the convent,
and many of the clergy and laity, which gift was confirmed afterwards by Sir William de Insula, who married his daughter; notwithstanding which, William de
Insula their son, laid claim to it as part of his inheritance,
and a suit was commenced in the beginning of king
John's reign, by him, against the abbot and convent,
to recover the possession of it, which seems to have
been determined in his favor, and the religious were
forced to be contented with the pension of 66s. 8d.
to be paid to them yearly out of it. (fn. 2) . This pension they
continued to enjoy from it till the time of their dissolution, in the 30th year of Henry VIII. when it came,
with the rest of their possessions, into the king's hands,
who settled it, among other premises, in his 33d year,
on his new-founded dean and chapter of Canterbury,
who continue to receive it from the rector at this time.
The determination of the above-mentioned suit
against the religious, did not put them out of hopes of,
some time or other, recovering the possession of this
church, the appropriation of which they got to be inserted in a confirmation of some of their possessions by
pope Gregory X. in 1274; but this did not avail them
any thing, for this church still continued unappropriated, as it does at this time, being esteemed a rectory, the patronage of which has been for a great length
of time in the crown.
The church of Luddenham is valued in the king's
books at 12l. 8s. 4d. and the yearly tenths at 1l. 4s. 10d.
In 1578, here were communicants fifty-four. The
In 1640 there were communicants sixty-eight. The
yearly value of it one hundred pounds. It is now
esteemed of the same clear yearly value.
There is a modusclaimed for five hundred and thirtyone acres of the marsh lands in this parish, almost all
of which are at two-pence, though there are some few
at four-pence per acre.
Church of Luddenham.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Crown.||Peter Jackson, A. M. March 15,
1590, resigned 1604.|
|Joseph Davis, A. M. Oct. 29,
|John Priestley, A. M. Jan. 16,
|Samuel Wilkinson, A. M. Aug.
19, 1625. (fn. 3) |
|Edward Burton, S T. P. Dec.
14, 1632, resigned 1638. (fn. 4) |
|James Gentleman, A. M. July
30, 1638. (fn. 5) |
|Nathaniel Newbury, A. M. May
8, 1645. (fn. 6) |
|James Cowes. A. M. April 10,
|John Sherwin, A. M. Jan. 23,
1674, obt. Jan. 17, 1713. (fn. 7) |
|Robert Harrison, A. M. March
3, 1713, obt. 1755. (fn. 8) |
|Wheler Twyman, May 26, 1755.
obt. Nov. 25, 1779. (fn. 9) |
|William Gurney, Feb. 1, obt.
April, 1784. (fn. 10) |
|John Tucker, A. M. June, 1784,
the present rector. (fn. 11) |