Angel (The) - Angel Court

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Angel (The) - Angel Court', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63005 Date accessed: 30 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Angel (The)

Langbourn Ward extends along Lombard Street to the sign of the Angell almost to the corner by the Stockes market (S. 205).

No later reference.

This popular sign was originally adopted in commemoration of the Salutation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the angel was represented with the scroll in his hands, containing the words, " Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum."

Angel Alley

West out of Bishopsgate in Bishopsgate Ward Without between Nos. 137 and 138 (O. and M. 1677-to O.S. 1880). During the 17th and 18th centuries and part of the 19th century the street extended from Long Alley to Bishopsgate Street Without, but in the middle of the 19th century it suffered considerable curtailment owing to railway construction and the formation of Broad Street Station, the eastern end only, formerly called Angel Square (q.v.) being left. This end was swallowed up about 18 years ago in the extension of Liverpool Street Station, so that the alley has ceased to exist. It is suggested that the Angel Inn stood here, where the Parish Clerks had their first Hall (N. and Q. 11th S. III. p. 2 and 3).

Probably most of the courts and alleys, etc., designated by this name derive their names from a sign in the locality.

Angel Alley

West out of Little Moorfields, leading to Moor Lane (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1848-5I). In Cripplegate Ward Without.

Removed c. 1865 for the erection of Moorgate Street Station and the formation of the Metropolitan Railway lines.

Angel Alley

South out of Thames Street, between White Cock Alley and Red Bull Alley. In Dowgate Ward (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

Site now covered by Red Bull Wharf (q.v.).

Angel Alley

In Shoe Lane. In Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Site not located, the alley not being named on the maps. Possibly=Angel Court, Shoe Lane (q.v.).

Angel Alley

East out of Whitecross Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Angel Alley

South out of London Wall, against Old Bethl'em, a passage to Coleman Street Ward (Hatton, 1708-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Angel Alley, Aldersgate Street

See Edmund Place.

Angel Alley, Golden Lane

See Angel Court.

Angel Alley, Houndsditch.

-North-east out of Houndsditch to Gravel Lane (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799). In Portsoken Ward.

Subsequently rebuilt, smaller, not extending to Gravel Lane.

Seems to have been on or near the site of " Cole's Yard " (q.v.).

Converted into warehouses known now as 126 Houndsditch

Angel Alley, London Wall

See Leathersellers' Buildings.

Angel Alley, Nightingale Lane

West out of Nightingale Lane at No.22 to Sun Yard, the third turning on the right from Upper East Smithfield (P.C. 1732-Greenwood, 1827). (In East Smithfield and not in present Portsoken Ward.)

Site occupied by the St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses, commenced 1827.

Angel Alley, St. Martin le Grand

See Angel Street.

Angel Alley, Stoney Lane

North out of Stoney Lane, west of Angel Court. In Portsoken Ward (Strype, ed. 1720).

Removed for erection of City of London Artizan's Dwellings, commenced 1884.

Angel Alley, Upper Thames Street

See Angel Passage.

Angel and Sugar Loaf Yard

In the Minories (Strype, 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Named after a house there with that sign (Dodsley, 1761).

Angel and Three Crowns, (The)

-In St. Paul's Churchyard, 1673 (L. and P. Chas. II. XIV.).

No later reference.

Angel Court

East out of Milton Street in Cripplegate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746 to O.S. 1880).

At No.68 in Lockie, 1810.

Rebuilt for business purposes.

Angel Court

South out of Leadenhall Street, west of Hartshorn Court (P.C. 1732-Elmes, 1831). In Aldgate Ward.

Site rebuilt in the 19th century for offices and chambers.

Angel Court

West out of Little Old Bailey in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Former name : " Little Green Arbour Court " (O. and M. 1677-P.C. 1732).

Site now covered by Holborn Viaduct Station and offices.

Angel Court

East out of Red Cross Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).

Removed for the formation of the Metropolitan Railway, c. 1865.

Angel Court

East out of Bishopsgate. In Bishopsgate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

About 1760 a passage 25 ft. wide was made through Angel Court, into Little St. Helen's in accordance with the Act of Parliament passed to provide for openings being made in the City (Gent. Mag. Lib. London, XV. p. 227).

The site seems to have been rebuilt towards the end of the 18th century.

Angel Court

North out of Lamb Alley. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (Strype, 1720, I. ii. 108-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now occupied by the railway lines of the North London and Great Eastern Railways.

See Kingsdown Place.

Angel Court

South out of Snow Hill, opposite St. Sepulchre's Church (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831). In Farringdon Ward Without. In O. and M. 1677, Sir Thomas Davis' house occupies the western end ; in Rocque, a Fire Office and Three Horseshoe Court.

Removed for the formation of Holborn Viaduct (q.v.).

Angel Court

In Little Elbow Lane, in Vintry Ward (P.C. 1732-London Guide, 1758).

Not named in the maps.

Angel Court

East out of Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

There was also an Angel Alley in Shoe Lane (q.v.).

Angel Court

West out of Friday Street, at No. 8, in Bread Street Ward (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O. and M. 1677.