Baalun (Ward of Alan) - Back Yard

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Baalun (Ward of Alan) - Back Yard', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63012 Date accessed: 27 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Baalun (Ward of Alan)

See Ward of Alan Baalun.

Babeloyne

A street so called in the parish of St. Alphege in Cripplegate Ward Within, 1385-6 (Ct. H.W. II. 252) and 1386 (ib. 256).

It is further described as " per murum civitatis London," which would seem to suggest a street identical with the present " London Wall " in St. Alphage parish.

Back (The) Alley, Cloth Fair

See Back Court.

Back Alley

See Little Bell Alley, Copthall Buildings.

Back Alley, Bear Alley

South out of Bear Alley and west to Fleet Market (Rocque, 1746-Dodsley, 1761). See Back Bear Alley.

Back Alley, Dean's Court, St. Martin's le Grand

South out of Dean's Court to New Rents, east of St. Martin's le Grand, in Aldersgate Ward Within (Rocque, I 746-Boyle, 1799).

Afterwards called Mouldmakers' Row (q.v.).

Back Alley, Great Gardens, St. Katherine's

North out of the Great Gardens, St. Katherine's Lane, East Smithfield (Rocque, 1746-Lockie, 1816).

Site now covered by St. Katherine's Docks.

Back Alley, Shoe Lane

East out of Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Site now occupied by warehouses and offices.

Back Alley, Three Crane Lane

A passage to the Thames out of Three Crane Lane (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799). In Vintry Ward.

The alley seems to have been removed and the site rebuilt about the beginning of the 19th century.

Back Alley, Three Foxes Court

Out of Three Foxes Court, Long Lane, West Smithfield (Strype, 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Back Alley, Yard, Little Moorfields

West out of Back Street, Little Moorfields, with passage south to Moor Lane (Strype, ed. 1720), and leading to Ropemakers' Alley. Cripplegate Ward Without.

Back Bear Alley

On the south side of Bear Alley, Fleet Market, in Farringdon (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).

Former names : " Little Bear Alley " (O. and M. 1677-Strype, ed. 1720). " Back Alley " (Rocque, 1746-Lond. Guide, 1758). " Black Bear Alley " in Elmes, 1831.

The proper designation was " Back Alley," Bear Alley.

The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Back Court

North out of Cloth Fair at No.21 and east, parallel to and between Long Lane and Cloth Fair (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : Lockie, 1810.

Former names : " Back Alley " (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799). " Back Streate " (O. and M. 1677, and Strype). " Back Street," Hatton, 1708).

Lockie mentions two courts of this name here.

Described by Hatton, 1708, as on the western side of Swan Inn Passage, which is on the south side of Long Lane.

Back Gravel Lane, Houndsditch

South out of Stoney Lane at No.40 to Gravel Lane (q.v.). In Portsoken Ward (P.O. Directory).

First mention : L.C.C. list, 1912.

Back Streate, Cloth Fair

See Back Court.

Back Street, Little Moorfields

See Moorfields.

Back Yard

Out of Pelican Court, Little Britain (Strype, 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Back Yard

Out of Woolpack Alley, Houndsditch (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Back Yard

Out of Short Street, Moorfields (Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Back Yard

Out of Little Bartholomew Close (Strype, 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Back Yard

Out of Bull Head Court, Jewin Street (Strype, 1755).

Not named in the maps.