Bliss's Court - Blue Ball Court

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Bliss's Court - Blue Ball Court', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63039 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Bliss's Court

West out of Crutched Friars or Poor Jewry Lane. In Aldgate Ward (O. and M. 1677).

The site is now occupied by warehouses.

Name derived from the owner or builder.

Blomfield Street

North out of London Wall at 86 (P.O. Directory).

Forms part of the boundary between Bishopsgate and Coleman Street Wards, the eastern side of the street being in Bishopsgate Ward and the western in Coleman Street Ward.

First mention : Elmes, 1831.

Former names : "Little Moorfields and Broken Row" (Horwood, 1799). "Little Moorgate" (Rocque, 1746, the southern end only). "Bloomfield Place" (Greenwood, 1829).

Named after Lord Blomfield.

Bloomfield Court

South-east out of King Street, West Smithfield at No.5 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

Former name : "Bull's Head Court" (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1880).

Bloomfield House

In Bloomfield Court, King Street, West Smithfield (L.C.C. List, 1912). In Farringdon Ward Without.

Blossom Inn Yard

West out of Laurence Lane, Old Jewry, at No.23 (P.O. Directory). In Cheap Ward.

First mention : O.S. 1875.

Formed originally the entrance to Blossoms Inn, whence its name is derived. The site of the inn is now occupied by the Great Eastern Railway Goods Office.

Blossoms Inn

On the west side of Lawrence Lane, Old Jewry, at No.25. In Cheap Ward (Lockie, 1816). At the north-east corner of Honey Lane Market (O. and M. 1677).

Earliest mention : "Blosmeshyn," 1374 (Hust. Roll. 102 (120).

Other forms : "Blossemesin," 1375 (ib. 103 (37)). "Blosmysyn," 4 H. IV. 1402 (Cal. P.R. H. IV. 1401-5, p. 160). Described as having a shop on the north in parish of St. Laurence, a garden adjoining in parish of All Hallows, Honey Lane, and a messuage called "Warehous" annexed. " Bosum is Inne," 1459-60 (Ct. H.W. II. 540).

The name was probably derived from the family of "Blosme," for in 1345 Nicholas Blosme was witness to the grant of a rent issuing from tenements in the parish of St. Laurence, Old Jewry, and the family may well have been at that date in possession of the property (Cal. L. Bk. F. p. 136).

The name survives in Blossom Inn Yard (q.v.).

Blow Bladder Street

North-west from Cheapside to Newgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward and Farringdon Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799). Mentioned 1663 (End Ch. Rep. 1829, p. 124).

Former name : "Bladder Street" (S. 315 and 345), extending to the Shambles.

Now forms part of Newgate Street. So called from the bladders there sold in former times (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 194).

Blue (The) Gates

A court so called at the south end of Harrow Alley (Strype, eds. 1720 and 1755). In Portsoken Ward. Also spelt "Blew Gates."

No later mention.

The court was probably closed by gates.

Blue Anchor

Strype says that the part of Houndsditch in Bishopsgate Ward Without extends to the Blue Anchor (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 109).

No further reference.

Blue Anchor Alley

In Great Minories (Dodsley, 1761).

Not further identified.

Blue Anchor Alley

In St. Katherine's precinct (Dodsley, 1761).

Not further identified.

Blue Anchor Alley

In Whitecross Street, 1670. There was a Presbyterian Meeting House in the alley, 1672 (L. and P. Chas. II. 1669-70, p. 636, and XII. 308), and Dodsley, 1761.

Not further identified.

Blue Anchor Alley, Rosemary Lane

See Crown and Shears Place and Red Gate Court.

Blue Anchor Court

In Salisbury Court, Fleet Street (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Blue Anchor Inn

On the south-west side of Duck Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without, at the Corner of Little Britain (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

In Strype, "Blew Anchor Inn."

Site rebuilt for business purposes.

Blue Anchor Yard

West out of Coleman Street at No. 1 and north to London Wall. In Coleman Street Ward (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

The site has been rebuilt and is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Blue Anchor Yard, Alley, Tower Hill

,-See Baily Place.

Blue Ball Court

In Cannon Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps

Blue Ball Court

East out of Dorset Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

See Bell's Buildings.

Blue Ball Court

Out of Fell Street, Little Wood Street (Strype, 1755, to Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.