Crown and Cushion Court - Crown Court

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Crown and Cushion Court - Crown Court', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63097 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Crown and Cushion Court

South out of Cow Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

Former name : "Bore's Head Court" (O. and M. 1677).

The site has been rebuilt.

Crown and Horseshoe Wharf

South out of Upper Thames Street at No. 6 to the Thames (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.

First mention : O.S. 1875.

Former names : "Hudson's Wharf" (Horwood, 1799-Lockie, 1816). "Dunghill Lane" (q.v.) (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755). "Dung Wharff" (Rocque, 1746).

Crown and Sheaf Place

See Crown and Sheers Place.

Crown and Shears Place, Crown and Sheers Alley, Crown and Sheers Court

See Crown and Sheers Place.

Crown and Sheers Place, Royal Mint Street

North out of Royal Mint Street. In. Portsoken Ward (L.C.C. List of Streets, 1901).

Former names : "Blue Anchor Alley" (O. and M. 1677, to London Guide, 1758). "Crown and Sheers Alley " (Rev. of London, 1728). "Crown and Sheers Court" (Rocque 1746-Boyle, 1799). "Crown Place" (Horwood, 1799). "Crown and Shears Place" (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831). "Crown and Sheaf Place" (O.S. 25 in. 1880).

It seems to have communicated with the Minories, and at Nos. 83 and 84 Minories the Crown and Shears Public House now stands to commemorate the site of the adjacent street.

The site of the court is now covered by the Goods' Depot of the Great Northern Railway.

Crown Buildings

In Crown Court, Old Broad Street (L.C.C. List, 1912).

Crown Court

South out of Cheapside at No. 64, next to Sir John Bennett's (P.O Directory). In Cheap Ward.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

Probably named after the house called the "Crown" occupied by a Mercer, temp. H. VIII.

See Crowned Seld.

Crown Court

Out of Cow Lane, West Smithfield, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C.. 1732-Strype, ed. 1755).

Not named in the maps.

Crown Court

North out of Threadneedle Street, in Broad Street Ward (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1880).

The site seems to be now occupied by offices and chambers.

Crown Court

North out of Turnagain Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831).

Removed for the formation of Holborn Viaduct, etc.

Crown Court

West out of Old Broad Street at No. 61, formerly on the north side of The church of St. Peter le Poor, in Broad Street Ward (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

Name derived from the sign.

Crown Court

East out of Warwick Lane at No. 36 (P.O. Directory). In Castle Baynard Ward.

First mention : "Crown Inn" (S. 365 ; and Strype, ed. 1720), with a passage to Newgate Market.

The court leading to Crown Inn is called Baker's Court in O. and M. 1677.

Not in Maitland, 1775.

The court now consists of warehouses.

Crown Court

West out of Golden Lane, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677, to O.S.1880).

The site is now occupied by Cripplegate Street (q.v.).

Crown Court

West out of Little Moorfields, in Cripplegate Ward Without. Near the postern (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Crown Court

West out of Chancery Lane at No. 120 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : "Crowne Court or Andrews Crosse," 43 Eliz. (Lond. I. p.m. III. 286).

The Messuage called "Andrewes Crosse" described as within the bars of the New Temple with four houses adjoining in Chanceller Lane, lay between the tenement called. "the Cage" north, the tenement of John Everard south, field called Fyckettes Felde west and the highway east in parish of St. Dunstan, and belonged to the priory of St. John. of Jerusalem, 35 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p. 40).

Crown Court

East out of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without, north of Jewin Street (Strype, ed. 1720-O.S. 1875).

Former name : "Crown Yard" (O. and M. 1677).

Rebuilt for business purposes.

Crown Court

The western continuation of Tudor Street to Dorset Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).

Called "Crown Alley" (Strype, 1720-Boyle, 1799).

Now called Tudor Street (q.v.).

Crown Court

South out of Church Hill Alley with a passage east to Addle Hill. (Strype, 1720 and 1755).

The site is now occupied by the British and Foreign Bible Society's offices.

Crown Court

South out of Fleet Street at No. 71, between Whitefriars Street and Salisbury Court (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : Lond. Guide, 1758.

Former name : "Hanging Sword Court" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

Crown Court

South of Dunning's Alley, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-L. Guide, 1758).

The site is now occupied by the North London and Great Eastern Railway lines.

Crown Court

West out of Seething Lane (O.S. 25 in. 1880).

Earliest mention : O. and M. 1677.

Site covered by Byward Street.

Crown Court

South out of Trinity Lame in Vintry Ward, west of Garlick Hill (W. Stow, 1722, and Rocque, 1746-Elmes 1831).

Former name : "Jack, Jack's Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

The site is now occupied by Mansion House Station.

Crown Court

West out of Milk Street, in Cripplegate Ward Within (Strype, 1720 and 1755).

South of Clement's Court.

Seems to be identical with Godfrey's Court (q.v.).

Crown Court

East out of Butcher Hall Lane at No. 5, in Farringdon Ward Within (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).

Site has been rebuilt.

Crown Court

South out of Chick Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732-Elmes, 1831).

The site is now covered by Smithfield Market.

Crown Court

East out of Philpot Lane, in Billingsgate Ward (O.S. 1848-51-1880).

It seems to be shown in the earlier maps, but not named.

There was a tenement called "the Crown" in parish of St. Denis Bakchurche, 31 H. VIII. 1539 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIV. (1), p. 595), and the court may have been named after this sign.

Crown Court

North out of Great Bell Alley to White's Alley. In Coleman Street Ward. Another branch further west ran north out of White's Alley (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

The northern portion out of White's Alley was removed for the formation of Moorgate Street.

Rebuilt for business purposes.

Crown Court

East out of the southern portion of Water Lane, in Whitefriars, Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site has been rebuilt.

Crown Court

West out of Old Change at No. 10, in Castle Baynard Ward (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).

The site is now occupied by Cannon Street.

Crown Court

East out of Gracechurch Street, south of St. Benet Gracechurch. In Bridge Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now covered by offices and chambers, the Metropolitan Bank Buildings, etc.

Crown Court

See Three Crown Court, Jewry Street.