Hutchison's Market - Hyltonsyn

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Hutchison's Market - Hyltonsyn', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63178 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Hutchison's Market

On the east side of Hutchison Street, between that street and Middlesex Street (O.S. ed. 1875-O.S. ed. 1880).

Hutton Street

West out of Dorset Street, Whitefriars, at No. 7, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.O. Directory).

Formerly Wilderness Lane (q.v.). Renamed 1875.

Hylord's Court

North out of Crutched Friars at No. 46 (Horwood, 1799-Elmes, 1831).

Site now occupied by Fenchurch Street Station.

Derivation of name : Named after John Hylord, who left a rent charge on two houses in Hylord's Court for the poor of the parish of St. Olave Hart Street (Povah's Annals, 384).

These houses were afterwards acquired by the East India Company and an annual payment made to the parish by the Secretary of State for India (End. Charities' Report, St. Olave Hart Street, 1903, p. 22).

Hyltonsyn

See White Hart on the Hoop.