Katherine Wheel and George Alley - Katherine's (St.) Wharf, East Smithfield

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Katherine Wheel and George Alley - Katherine's (St.) Wharf, East Smithfield', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63188 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Katherine Wheel and George Alley

See George and Catherine Wheel Alley.

Katherine Wheel Inn

On the south side of London Wall. In Cripplegate Ward Within, east of Basinghall Street (Strype, 1720 and 1755).

See Catherine Wheel Yard, London Wall.

Katherine Wheel Inn, Bishopsgate

See Catherine Wheel Inn.

Katherine Wheel Yard, Chick Lane

See Catherine Wheel Yard.

Katherine's (St.)

See Little Thames St. and Lower East Smithfield.

Katherine's (St.)

See Katherine's (St.) Street, East Smithfield.

Katherine's (St.) Churchyard, East Smithfield

North and east of the church, the part south of the church is called "Green Churchyard" (Strype, 1720-Horwood, 1799).

Removed for the construction of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses.

Katherine's (St.) Cloysters

North of St. Katherine's Church, between the church-yard and New Street (Rocque, 1746-Lockie, 1810).

Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks in 1827.

Katherine's (St.) Court, East Smithfield

East out of St. Katherine's Square and west of the church (Lockie, 1810). (Survey of St. Katherine's, 1686, Sloane MS. 3254, A. I.).

Tradesmens tokens issued for houses in the Court, 1649-72 (Burn, 38).

Seems to be called "Queen Court" (Strype, ed. 1720). But only occupying a portion of the site.

Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses, 1827.

Katherine's (St.) East Smithfield

See Katherine's (St.) Street.

Katherine's (St.) Hospital

On Tower Hill, to the east of the Tower.

Founded by Q Matilda, the wife of King Stephen, before 1148 (Tanner) on ground belonging to the Priory of Holy Trinity, purchased by her from the Prior Ralph for the purpose (Ducarel, I. p 31). The land had been included in the grant made by the Cnihtegild to the Priory and lay within the Ward of Portsoken, and the custody of the hospital was given by Matilda to the Prior and convent of the Holy Trinity (Anc Deeds, A 6684). Custody surrendered 1261 (Nichols, pp. 2 and 3). Refounded by Q. Eleanor, w. of Ed. I., 1273, the Master to be nominated by the Queen (Nichols, p. 3).

Liberties and privileges of the Hospital and precincts confirmed, 20 H. VI. 1442 (Cal. P.R. H. VI. 1441-6, p. 110).

Removed at the time of the construction of the St. Katherine's Docks, to the Regent's Park in 1825 and re-erected there on the north-eastern side of the Park.

It is interesting to note in connection with the date of the foundation of the Hospital given above the existence in the Calendar of Documents in France (Rolls Series) edited in recent years by Mr. Round, at p. 329, of a grant made by H. king of England and Matilda his wife of St. Katharine on the Thames to the Abbey of Holy Trinity l'Essay in 1105. It is difficult to know to what other foundation the grant could refer. It would certainly be rash in the absence of further proof to assume that this grant must refer to St. Katherine's Hospital, or to a church erected previously on or near the site of the Hospital. Such an assumption would throw some doubt upon the accuracy of the accounts given by Dugdale and others and attested by documentary evidence as to the ownership of the land and of its acquisition by Q. Matilda, w. of King Stephen, for the purposes of the foundation of the Hospital. But it may be well not to lose sight of this grant, in case further proof should be forthcoming in the future in support of the contention that a church or hospital was in existence on or near the site so early as 1105, and that the whole of the land in question could not therefore have been included in the grant made by the Cnihtegild to the Priory of Holy Trinity in 1125 as alleged.

Katherine's (St.) Lane

South out of Upper East Smithfield to New Street (Hatton, 1708-Lockie, 1810).

Removed for the construction of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses, 1827.

Katherine's (St.) New Court

South of Flemings' Churchyard, at the north-west corner of St. Katherine's Square (Rocque, 1746-Lockie, 1810).

Former names : "Vine Court" (Hatton, 1708-Strype, 1755). "New Court" or "Catshole" in St. Katherine's Close (P.C. 1732).

Perhaps erected on part of site of Cats' Hole (q.v.).

Removed for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses, 1827.

Katherine's (St.) Pool

In the reign of Henry VIII. certain goods are described as having been delivered at St. Katherine's Pool and Tower Wharf, 1538 (L. and P. Hen VIII. Dom. S. Vol. 13, Pt. 2, p. 132).

Not located in any map.

Katherine's (St.) Precinct

This precinct included the site of the hospital of St. Katherine and its adjacent domains. It consisted of about 24 acres, granted to the Hospital from the date of its foundation, and it owed its existence to the survival of the privileges conferred upon the Hospital from time to time by royal charters and other similar documents.

At the date of its demolition for the formation of the St. Katherine's Docks it contained within its limits 1250 houses and over 11,000 inhabitants. The streets, etc., removed included the following : Angel Alley, Baily Place, Brush Court, Butcher Row, Cats Hole, Christopher Court, Dark Entry, Dean Street, Flemings' Churchyard, Great Garden Street, Greenwood's Court, Greyhound Court, Gun Yard, Hall's Court, Hangmans' Gains, Hartshorn Brewhouse, Helmet Court, John's Court, Katherine's (St.), Katherine's (St.) Church and Churchyard, Katherine's (St.) Cloysters, Katherine's (St.) Court, Katherine's (St.) Lane, Katherine's (St.) New Court, Katherine's (St.) Square, Katherine's (St.) Hospital, Katherine's (St.) Stairs, King Henry Yard, Lees Court, Lower East Smithfield (part) Maidenhead Court, Maudlins Rents, Phoenix Court, Pillory Lane, Red Lion Court, Rose and Crown Court, Shovel Alley, Star Court, Swan Alley.

Katherine's (St.) Rents

See Trinity Terrace.

Katherine's (St.) Square, East Smithfield

West out of St. Katherine's Court (Horwood, 1799).

Former name : "St. Katherine's Court" (Rocque, 1746).

The square seems to have been formed out of the Court.

Removed for the construction of St. Katherine's Docks 1827.

Katherine's (St.) Stairs, East Smithfield

East of Irongate Stairs, on the Thames (Survey of St. Katherine's, 1686, Sloane MS. 3254-A. 1-Lockie, 1810).

The old stairs were removed for the construction of St. Katherine's Docks 1827. But the name was in general use until recent times.

Katherine's (St.) Street, East Smithfield

East from the Tower to Hermitage Bridge (Lockie, 1810).

Former name : "St. Katherine's" (O. and M. 1677-Horwood, 1799).

It seems to be referred to as Thames Street in 1763 in L.C.C. Deeds, Harben Bequest, 1700-1800, No. 99.

Removed for the construction of St. Katherine's Docks and the site now occupied by Little Thames Street and Lower East Smithfield.

Katherine's (St.) Wharf, East Smithfield

Between Irongate Wharf west and St. Katherine's Dock Entrance east (O.S. ed. 1894).

Mentioned in 1446 in grant of the Tower Wharf to John Pury (Cal. P.R. H. VI 1441-6, p. 402).

Reconstructed when the St. Katherine's Docks were formed, 1827.