Red Lyon Yard - Reynold's Court

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Red Lyon Yard - Reynold's Court', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63291 Date accessed: 28 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Red Lyon Yard

North out of Long Lane to Red Lyon Inn at No.110 Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).

The site is now occupied by the Aldersgate Street Station and railway lines.

Red Lyon Yard, Houndsditch

South-west out of Houndsditch. In Portsoken Ward (W. Stow, 1722-Boyle, 1799).

Former names : " Red Lyon Court" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755). "Shepherd and Dog Alley" (Strype, 1720-1755).

Site is now occupied by Duke Street (q.v.).

Red Rose

See Rose (Manor of the).

Red Rose Alley, Court

East out of White Cross Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Elmes, 1831).

"Red Rose Court" in Strype.

The site is now occupied by Whitbread's Brewery.

Named after the sign.

Red Rose Court

See Red Rose Alley.

Red Wood Alley

West out of Bishopsgate Street. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Called " George Alley" (O. and M. 1677). Site now occupied by the railway lines.

Redcock Court

In Houndsditch mentioned in 1607 (L. and P. Ed. VI., etc., D.S. XII. p.497).

No later mention.

Redehalle

A house called " Redehalle" in I288-9 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p.112) between Watling Street and Basing Lane in parish of All Hallows, Bread Street and St. Mildred, Bread Street (Hust. Roll, 91 (34), (35), (36), (48), 37 Ed. III.).

No further reference.

A house belonging to Henry le Galeys without Aldredesgate was likewise so named 1289 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p.112).

Redereslane

See Pudding Lane.

Rederisgate

A wharf on the Thames so called.

First mention: 2 wharfs (hweruos) at " Rederisgate," C. 1125 (Anc. Deeds, A. 7309 and 7361).

This seems to be identified with Fresh Wharf (q.v.) as the deeds are endorsed" Frosse warf," Magni martiris. See also (Anc. Deeds, A. 7361).

The name is also given to a lane in the neighbourhood identified with Pudding Lane (q.v.).

Redo Rose Lane

See Pudding Lane.

Redye (la)

See Diceres Lane.

Redyng Place

See Reading Place.

Reeves Court

At the west end of Slade's Buildings, Angel Square, Bishopsgate, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Site now covered by Liverpool Street Station and the railway lines.

Rennerstrete

See Pye Corner, West Smithfield.

Reole (la)

See Riole (la).

Reswarve

House of Robert Othonis in Thames Street, in parish of All Hallows upon the Cellar and rents in the same street at " Reswarve in Timberhethe to be sold, 1287 (Ct. H.W. I. 82).

Called', Risshewharf "in Hust. Roll 168 (15 and 16). No later reference.

Retheresgates Lane, Rether Lane

See Pudding Lane.

Retten's Court

In Fleet Street (W. Stow, 1722, and Rev. of Lond. 1723).

Not named in the maps.

Reynold's Court

South out of Ropemaker Street to White Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-O.S.1880).

The site is now occupied by the northern extension of Moor Lane.

Named after owner or builder.