Round Hoop Court - Russia Court

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Round Hoop Court - Russia Court', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63297 Date accessed: 21 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Round Hoop Court

In Whitecross Street, Cripplegate (Strype, ed. I 755-Boyle, 1799).

Round Hope Court" in Strype. Not named in the maps.

Rowman's Buildings

See Bowman's Buildings.

Royal African Company

See Africa House.

Royal African House

See Africa House.

Royal Bagnio Court

At the end of Bagnio Lane in Newgate Street (P.C. 1732).

Now Roman Bath Street (q.v.).

Royal Exchange

Between Cornhill South and Threadneedle Street north, in Broad Street and Cornhill Wards (P.O. Directory).

The first building was erected in 1566 and opened 1570 (S. 202). For the convenience of merchants and bankers.

Destroyed in the Fire and rebuilt and enlarged (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 149 and 150).

Destroyed again 1838 and rebuilt 1844. Architect, Sir Wm. Tite.

When the first building was erected several alleys, viz. Swan Alley, New Alley, St. Christopher's Alley, and Walkeden's Alley, and in all some 80 houses, were purchased by the City and the ground when cleared was given to Sir Thomas Gresham for the erection of the Burse (See Gent. Mag. Lib. XV. 336) and (S. 193-4).

In the subsequent rebuildings Castle Alley and Bank Street were eventually removed for the enlargement of the building.

The site on which the Burse was first erected is fully described in the Great Book of Accounts of the parish of St. Michael Cornhill (Overall, pp.213 and 214).

The length in Cornhill is 161 ft. 6 in. the length in Broad Street 198 ft. 6 in. the breadth at late Swann Alley, from Cornhill to Broad Street, 188 ft.; the breadth at late Newe Alley gate, from Cornhill to Broad Street, 149 ft. 6 in. (ib.).

The eastern end is occupied by Lloyds.

The Burse was erected through the exertions of Sir Thomas Gresham, whose father had laboured for many years unsuccessfully in the same cause. It was greatly needed for the meetings of the merchants who had frequently assembled in the open street in Lombard Street to transact business.

Considerable difficulty was experienced in deciding upon a site, as the merchants were unanimous in their determination to remain in Lombard Street.

When at length the difficulties were overcome the building was designed and erected on the model of the Burse at Antwerp, and was named the Royal Exchange by Queen Elizabeth upon the occasion of her first visit in 1570-1. Called " Brittaine Burse in 1613 (H. MSS. Com. Ancaster MSS. p.370).

There is an interesting account of the foundation and erection of the Royal Exchange in Gent. Mag. Lib. XV. pp.333-42.

The sub-soil here to the depth of 19 ft. was composed of animal and vegetable matter, and at the depth of 19 ft. there was a layer of gravel and a pit excavated 50 ft. by 34 ft. for the supply of the gravel (Arch. XXIX. 267, et seq.). Roman coins were found of Domitian, Vespasian and Severus (R. Smith, 12, 132, 142), and remains of Roman pavements here and in Finch Lane.

Royal Exchange Avenue

West out of Finch Lane, at No.21, to Royal Exchange Buildings. In Broad Street Ward (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O.S. 1875.

Received its name 25th July, 1862.

It occupies part of the site of " Spread Eagle Court," which was demolished for the New street.

Royal Exchange Buildings

South out of Threadneedle Street, at No. 1, to 82 Corn-hill (P.O. Directory), on the east side of the Royal Exchange. In Broad Street Ward.

First mention : O.S. 1875.

Former names : " Sweetings Alley," 1662 (Account books St. Bart the litell, ed. Freshfield, p.174). "Swithuns Rents" (Rocque, 1746). "Swithuns Alley" (O. and M. 1677). "Sweetings Alley" (P.C. 1732-Horwood, 1799-Elmes, 1831). "Exchange Buildings " (O.S. 1848-51).

In Lockie and Elmes "Sweetings Rents" are described as coming east out of Sweetings Alley as in Rocque, but in the other maps they are called by the one name, "Swithins " or " Sweetings Alley."

Elmes says that before the Great Fire the alley contained only one house, a spacious building, which belonged to a merchant of the name of Sweeting.

Wheatley says Henry Swieten or Sweeting, a Dutch merchant in the 17th century. The house was burnt again in 1838 and rebuilt as " Exchange Buildings."

Royal Hotel (De Keyser's) Buildings

On the north side of Victoria Embankment, west of Blackfriars Station (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention: O.S. 1875.

Site covered, in Horwood, by Wood and Co.'s Wharf and the houses on the west side of Chatham Place.

Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, Moorfields

On the south side of City Road in

Borough of Finsbury (P.O. Directory).

It was originally founded in 1804 in Charterhouse Square and removed in 1821 to a larger building in Moorfields, where it remained until 1899, when it was transferred to more extensive premises in the City Road.

It is often called Moorfields' Eye Hospital from its situation in Blomfield Street, Moorfields.

Royal Mint

Between Royal Mint Street north and Upper East Smithfield south (P.O. Directory).

Erected here 1810-11. Partly reconstructed and practically rebuilt 1881-2. Architects, Johnson and Smirke.

Old office of Warden abolished 1817 and of Master 1870, being transferred to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. The working head is called the Deputy Master.

Formerly in the Tower.

Amongst the Courts and alleys, etc., removed to make way for its erection and extension were Seven Star Court, Beck's Rents, etc.

It occupies the site of the old Victualling Office shown in Rocque's map, 1746, erected on the site of the Abbey of St. Mary Graces, pulled down temp. H. VIII.

Royal Mint Square

South out of Royal Mint Street, east of Cartwright Street (P.O. Directory).

First shown in O.S. 25 in. 1894-6, but seems to have been formed when the blocks of Artizans' buildings were erected in 1884 (See Katherine Buildings).

The derivation of the name is obvious.

The site was formerly occupied by Aldgate Churchyard (New) (q.v,).

Royal Mint Street

East from Sparrow Corner, Minories, to Cable Street (P.O. Directory). A small portion only in Portsoken Ward.

Former names " Hoggestrete " (39 Ed. III. 1366, Cal. Close Rolls, 1364-8, p.212). Heggestrete" (Temp. Ed. III. Anc. Deeds A. 2647). " Hoglane " (36 H. VIII. 1544, L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. Pt. 2, p.180). "Hogge-lane" (Agas., c. 1561). "Hogstreate" (S. 126). " Rosemary Lane" (Ryther, 1608-Elmes, 1831). " Rag Fair (from the old clothes sold therein in the centre of the street). First called Royal Mint Street in 1850.

It seems probable that Hogstreate is a corruption of " Hegge strete," and that this was the original form of the name.

Rag Fair was held here at one time, where the railway dep6ts now stand.

The Royal Mint stands on the south side of the street, hence the later name.

Royal Oak Yard

In Whitecross Street, Cripplegate (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Royal Society's House

On the south side of Pemberton's Row, Gough Square, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).

Royall (le)

See Riole (la).

Royall Streete

See Tower Royal.

Rug Row

In Cloth Fair (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Russia Company

A body of merchants incorporated 1555 to trade with the Russian Empire and northern ports (Dodsley, 1761).

Russia Court

North out of Russia Row at No.5, in Cheap Ward and Cripplegate Ward Within (P.O. Directory).

First mention : Lockie, 1810.

Russia Court

In Leadenhall Street (Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.