IS the next parish eastward. So much of it as is
within the borough of Old Harlackenden, is in the
hundred of Blackborne, and lower division of the lath
of Scray, and western division of this county, and
within the bailiwie of the Seven Hundreds. A small
part on the northern side of it, consisting of only three
houses, is in the hundred of Chart and Longbridge,
upper division of the lath of Scray, and in the eastern
division of this country; and the residue, on the southeast side of it, is in the lath of Shipway, hundred of
Ham, and eastern division likewise of this county.
The court of the bailiwic of the Seven Hundreds
claims paramount over the greatest part of this parish, and the manor of Tinton over some of the southern
part of it.
This parish is but little frequented, being very obscurely situated in a low flat country, the whole of
which is much covered with coppice woods, which
makes it very dreary and unpleasant. The soil is a
deep miry clay, and the roads are much the same and
equally bad as those of Halden and the intermediate
country. The village is situated nearly in the centre of
the parish, round a green, with the church at the south
east end of it. There are about twenty two house in
the parish, and the rents of it are about three hundred
pounds per annum.
THE MANORS OF SHADOXHURST is subordinate to
the court of the bailiwic of the Seven Hundreds. It
was antiently the inheritance of a family called Forstal,
and sometimes written At-Forstal, who were of no
mean extraction in this county; for in several antient
deeds John and Richard At-Forstal are mentioned
among the witnesses to them, and it is probable they
were possessors of this manor, thought the private deeds
belonging to it are of no longer date that the reign of
Henry V. in the 3d year of which John Forstal passed
this manor away by deed to Stokys, vulgarly called
Stokes, in whose descendants it continued many years,
until it was at length sold to Avery Randolph, who had
an estate likewise about Burham, near Maidstone; (fn. 1) and
from whose son Edward, about the beginning of queen
Elizabeth's reign, it went by sale to Sir John Taylor,
who, in the 25th year of queen Elizabeth, passed it
away to John Taylor, esq. of Wilsborough, whose ancestors had resided at Homestal, in this parish, as early
as the reign of Henry III. from whom descended those
of this name of Romney, Wilshorough, Maidstone,
and other places in this county, and those of Ireland
likewise. They bore for their arms, Argent, on a chief,
sable, two boars heads, couped of the first. (fn. 2) From John
Taylor above-mentioned, this manor came down to
Sir Thomas Taylor, bart. of Maidstone, so created in
1665, whose only son of the same name died under age,
on which his trustees, under his will, sold it to John
Cooke, esq. of Swists, in Cranbrooke, who by will devised this manor, with the rest of his estate in Shadoxhurst, to be sold for the benefit of his younger children,
in pursuance of which it was sold to Sir Charles Molloy, of Greenwich, who had married Ellen his eldest
daughter. He died possessed of it in 1760, s. p. and
devised it by will to Charles, the second son of George
Cooke, esq. of Lincolns-inn-fields, who has since, pursuant to his uncle's will, taken on him the name of
Molloy, and is the present possessor of it.
CRIOLS-COURT, now usually called Crayals, is an
estate in this parish, which was once the patrimony of
the eminent family of Criol, and was one of the several
seates of theirs in this county, which took their name
from them. Bertram de Criol died possessed of it in
the 23d year of king Edward I. and his son John dying
in the 34th year of that reign s. p. left Joane his sister
his next heir, then married to Sir Richard de Rokesle.
His eldest daughter and coheir Agnes, married Thomas de Poynings, and by it entitled that family to this
among the great inheritance which devolved to her in
right of her mother; and in their descendants this
estate continued down to Sir Edward Poynings, a man
much in favour with king Henry VII. and VIII. under
both of whom he enjoyed many important offices of
trust and honor. Though he left several natural children, yet it being found by the inquisition taken after
his death in the 14th year of the letter reign, that he
died not only without legitimate issue, but without any
collateral kindred, who could make claim to his estates;
this, among others of them, escheated to the crown, (fn. 3)
whence it was granted by Henry VIII. to Mr. William Taylor, gent. of Shadoxhurst, after whose death,
anno 16 of that reign, without male issue, it came at
length by entail to John Taylor, of Winchelsea, who
left an only surviving daughter and heir Anne, who
marrying Mr. William Whitfield, gent. of Patrixborne, entitled him to this estate of Criols-court; from
whom it was, about the beginning of king Charles I.'s
reign, alienated to More, and thence not many years
afterwards to Thomas Taylor, esq. owner of the manor
of Shadoxhurst, as before-mentioned, and afterwards in
1664, created a baronet. Since which it has descended, in the like series of ownership with that manor, to Charles Cooke Molloy, esq. the present proprietor of them.
MINCHEN-COURT, vulgarly so called, but in old
records written Minikens-court, is an estate here, which
was formerly part of the possessions of St. James's, af
terwards called St. Jacob's hospital, in Thanington, almost adjoining to the suburbs of Canterbury, founded
before the reign of king John, for leprous women, of
which one Firmin, if not the founder, was at least a
considerable benefactor to it, at whose request, in the
beginning of that reign, this hospital, and its possessions,
with the consent of archbishop Hubert, were taken
under the custody and protection of the prior and convent of Christ-church, in Canterbury. (fn. 4) This hospital
was not dissolved till the 5th year of king Edward VI.
notwithstanding which, this estate of Minchen court
had been long before that alienated from it, and in the
very beginning of Henry VIII.'s reign was become
vested in the crown; for that king in his 2d year
granted it to Robert Tatteshall, esq. to hold of his manor of East Greenwich by fealty only; and from him
immediately afterwards it came by purchase to Sir Edward Wotton, whose grandson Thomas, lord Wotton,
dying in the 6th year of king Charles I. his four daughters became his coheirs; of whom Catherine, the eldest, carried this estate in marriage to Henry, lord
Stanhope, son and heir of Philip, lord Chesterfield; (fn. 5)
upon whose death she became again possessed of it,
and quickly after transferred it by sale to Mr. Thomas
Harfleet, of Canterbury. How it passed afterwards, I
cannot find; but in the year 1703, by the foreclosure
of a mortgage, it came into the possession of Mr. John
Courthope, whose descendant Alexander Courthope,
esq. of Horsemonden, dying unmarried in 1779, by
will gave this among the rest of his estates in this
county to his nephew John Cole, esq. of that parish,
the present owner of it.
CLAYPITS is a manor situated in the eastern part of
this parish, near Bromley-green, which was formerly
in the possession of the family of Hall, of Kennington.
Sir Wm. Hall, of that place, died possessed of it in the
reign of king James I. and was succeeded in it by his
eldest son Nevil Hall, esq. who owned it at the restoration of king Charles II. After which it passed by sale
into the family of Twysden, of East Peckham, baronets, one of whom alienated it not many years ago to
Mr. John Horne, who by will devised it to his wife
Mrs. Catherine Horne, of New Romney, for life. It
was afterwards, in 1787, sold to William Deedes, esq.
of St. Stephen's, whose eldest son of the same name,
at Hythe, is the present possessor of it, together with
the adjoining manor of Bishopswood.
ROBERT FARLEY gave to the poor of this parish, by will in
1590, 10s. yearly for ever, out of a piece of land here, called
MICHAEL POONETT, by will in 1604, gave a piece of land,
called Bishopscroft, to the poor for ever, now of the annual produce of 30s.
The poor constantly relieved are about fifteen, casually ten.
SHADOXHURST is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry
The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and St.
Paul, is a very small mean building, consisting of one
isle and one chancel. At the west end is a wooden
building, with a small turret, in which hang three bells.
The whole seems in a ruinous state.
In the north windows of the isle are some remains
of good painted glass; in one of them are two figures
crowned, in one copartment, and in the other a priest
kneeling, offering a cup to another figure, who is fitting and crowned. In the other window is the Virgin
Mary, and an angel with ave Maria. And there are
some little remains of painted glass in the east window
of the chancel.
Sir Charles Molloy, captain of the Royal Caroline
yacht, lies buried under a tomb in this church yard;
but there is a superb and elegant monument of white
marble, with his bust, and the figure of a boy weeping
over it, and different emblems of war round him,
erected to his memory, against the north wall of the
chancel. In the church, on each side of the chancel,
are hung up his banners, sword, helmet with his crest,
&c. He bore for his arms, Argent, a lion, rampant,
between three trefoils slipt, sable. In the chancel is a
memorial for John Sewell, rector, anno 1591.
This church is a rectory, and has been long part of
the possessions of the crown, and remains so at this
time, the king being the present patron of it.
It is now a discharged living, of the clear yearly value of thirty-eight pounds, the yearly tenths of which
are 15s. 3½d. In 1578 here were communicants seventy-nine. In 1640 there were sixty, and the yearly
value of it was seventy pounds.
There was an old writing, with several of the parishioners hands, by which they acknowledged eightpence in the noble due to the rector of Shadoxhurst,
for all acre wood; and Sir Roger Twisden, in his treatise concerning the Weald, says, it is to be observed
that the usual paying of tithe-wood in any parish, or
in many, does not make it due, if it can be shewed
that the parishes paying stand in the Weald. And further says, that he himself has known the rector of Shadoxhurst to claim tithe wood in some cases, and quotes
the above writing in confirmation of it. But there has
not been, for a long time, any tithe paid for wood in
This rectory was augmented in 1767 by the governors of queen Anne's bounty, with two hundred
pounds, in consequence of an addition of the like
sum from Mrs. Ursula Taylor's legacy, paid to them
by Sir Philip Boteler, bart. with which sums were
purchased lands in Shadoxhurst of sixteen pounds
The glebe land consists of three small woods, containing together about nine acres.
Church of Shadoxhurst.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Crown.||William Baldwin, S. T. P. July
20, 1617, obt. 1626.|
|William Stone, May 20, 1626,
|Charles Hutchenson, A. M. Sept.
20, 1631, resigned 1631. (fn. 6) |
|William Langley, A. M. July
30, 1636, resigned 1639. (fn. 7) |
|Nicholas Gent, Feb. 15, 1639. (fn. 8) |
|Timothy Wilson, A. M. Aug. 18,
1676. (fn. 9) |
|Isaac Satur, A. B. Nov. 24,
1690, resigned 1717.|
|John Lamb, April 1, 1717, ob.
Dec. 1733. (fn. 10) |
|Henry Bagnal, jun. A. M. 1734,
obt. 1761. (fn. 11) |
|Blemell Pollard, Aug. 4, 1761,
|Robert Polhill, July 13, 1764,
the present rector. (fn. 12) |