The hundred of Bircholt Barony
Introduction

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1799

Page

10

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Bircholt Barony: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (1799), pp. 10. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63451 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF BIRCHOLT BARONY

LIES the next northward from that last-described, being stiled in antient records the neutral hundred of Bircholt Barony, from its having been exempt from the jurisdiction of any lath whatever; and it had the addition of barson, as well to distinguish it from the last-described hundred, within the archbishop's franchise, as from its having been part of the lands which were held by barony of Dover castle, and made up the barony called the Constabularie, in the tenure of the constable of it. The name of it is variously spelt in Domesday, as Berisolt, Berisout, Belice, Briseode, and Bilissold.

THIS HUNDRED CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE PARISHES OF
1. BIRCHOLT, and part of
2. BRABORNE, and
3. HASTINGLEIGH,

And the churches of those parishes. One constable has jurisdistion over it.



<--Previous:
Parishes:
Smeeth