IS the next parish eastward, being spelt in antient
records Leddene. Part of it lies in the hundred of
Bewsborough and lath of St. Augustine, and the rest
of it, in which is the church and village, in the hundied of Folkestone and lath of Shipway.
THE PARISH lies in an unpleasant dreary country,
having the look of poverty throughout it, the soil of
it is in general very chalky, and equally poor. The
village is situated in the valley, on each side of the
high road leading from Canterbury to Dover, a little
way beyond the 67th mile-stone from London, having the church and court-lodge at a small distance on
the north side of it. The hills rise very high and
bold on every side, and toward the north are open and
uninclosed. It extends towards the north but a little
way; but towards the south it reaches more than a
mile from the village beyond Swanton-house, a large
antient stone building, towards Swingfield and Alkham. In this part there are several woods, most of
which belonged to lord Bolingbroke, and were sold by
him to the Rev. Edward Timewell Brydges, of Wotton, the present possessor of them. There is no fair
THE LORDSHIP OF THE BARONY of Folkestone
claims paramount over that part of this parish which
is in that hundred, subordinate to which is THE MANOR OF LIDDON, the court-lodge of which is situated
near the church. It belonged formerly to the abbey
of West Langdon, and on the dissolution of it came
to the crown, whence it was granted, anno 29 king
Henry VIII. to the archbishop, together with the
rectory of the church to which it was appurtenant,
in the description of which hereafter a more parti
cular account will be given of it. It still remains part
of the possessions of his grace the archbishop.
THE MANOR OF COCKLESCOMBE, which lies in
the hundred of Bewsborough, was antiently held of
the castle of Dover by knight's service, being part of
those lands which made up the barony of Maminot,
afterwards, from its succeeding owners, called the barony of Saye. In the reign of Edward I. Ralph de
Cestreton appears to have held it, and was succeeded
in it by Stephen de Bocton; soon after which it was
become part of the possessions of the hospital of the
knights of St. John of Jerusalem, and this manor
continued in their possession till their general dissolution in the 32d year of king Henry VIII. when it was
suppressed by an act then specially passed for the purpose, and their lands and revenues were given by it to
the king, who in the next year sold it to Edward
Monins, esq. of Waldershare, who, anno 2 and 3
Edward VI. procured his lands to be disgavelled, and
died anno 6 Edward VI. whose descendant Sir William Monins, of Waldershare, was created a baronet
in 1611. His son Sir Edward Monins, bart. died possessed of this manor in 1663, leaving Elizabeth his
widow, surviving, who held it in jointure at her death
in 1703; upon which it devolved to the heirs and
trustees of Susan, his eldest daughter and coheir, late
wife of the hon. Peregrine Bertie, and they, in the
reign of William and Mary, joined in the sale of it to
Sir Henry Furnese, bart. of Waldershare, whose grandson Sir Henry Furnese, bart. dying in 1735 under
age and unmarried, this manor, among his other
estates, became vested in his three sisters, and coheirs
of their father, in equal shares in coparcenary; after
which, anno 9 George II. on a writ of partition, this
manor was allotted, among others, to Anne the eldest
daughter, wife of John, viscount St. John, whose son
Frederick, became viscount Bolingbroke, and his son
George, viscount Bolingbroke, sold it to Mr. Baldock,
of Canterbury, who in 1791 again sold it to Mr. Peter Harnett, the occupier, who is the present possessor of it. A court baron is held for this manor.
SWANTON is a manor in the south-west part of this
parish, within the hundred of Folkestone, and adjoining to Swingfield, in which part of it lies. At the
time of taking the survey of Domesday, this manor,
or at least the principal part of it, was in the possession
of the bishop of Baieux, under the general title of
whose lands it is thus entered in it:
Ralph de Curbespine holds of the bishop Svanetone.
It was taxed at two sulings. The arable land is . . . . .
In demesne there is one carucate, and two borderers with
half a carucate.
Of this land Robert de Barbes holds one suling, and
has there three villeins with half a carucate, and one
Hugo holds one suling, and has there one carucate in demesne and one borderer. In the time of king Edward the
Gonfessor it was worth ten pounds, when he received it
thirty shillings, now forty shillings, and yet it pays four
pounds. Coloen held it of king Edward.
That part of it mentioned above to have belonged
to one Hugo, seems to have been in the possession of
Hugo de Montfort; for under the general title of
his possessions in the same record I find the following
The same Hugo de Montfort has . . . . . half a suling
Suanetone. The arable land is one carucate. Norman
held it of king Edward, and it was taxed at as much.
There are four villeins having one carucate. There is
wood for the pannage of five bogs. In the time of king
Edward the Confessor it was worth twenty-five shillings,
and afterwards fifteen shillings, now thirty shillings.
This manor afterwards came into the possession of
owners who took their name from it; for William de
Swanetone held it by knight's service in the reign of
king Henry III. by a female heir of which family it
went in marriage to Lutteridge, whose daughter and
heir marrying John Greenford, entitled him to this
manor, on whose death anno II Edward IV. Alice,
one of his daughters and coheirs, carried it in marriage to Robert Monins, of Waldershare, whose son
John Monins resided at Swanton. The arms of Swanton were, Argent, a fess, gules, between three chessrooks, sable; of Lutteridge, Argent, a bend between six
martlets, sable; and of Greenford, Gules, a chevron
ermine, between three squirrels, seiant, or. John Monins, of Swanton above-mentioned, left two sons;
from Edward, the eldest, descended Sir William Monins, created a baronet; and from John, the youngest,
lieutenant of Dover castle, descended John Monins,
esq. now of Canterbury. In the descendants of John
Monins, this manor continued down to Sir Edward
Monins, bart, of Waldershare, who died possessed of
it in 1663. Since which it has passed, in like manner
with his other estates here, as has been already mentioned before, in the description of the manor of
Cocklescombe, to George, lord viscount Bolingbroke,
who sold it to Messrs. Nutt and Walker, and they, in
1792, again conveyed it to Samuel Egerton Brydges,
esq. of Denton, the present owner of it.
Swanton manor, with that of Perryn, in this parish,
the situation of which is now unknown, are held of
the manor of Folkestone by knight's service.
The master and fellows of Emanuel college are possessed of lands in this parish and Ewell, which were
given by Walter Richards in 1627, towards the maintenance of two exhibitions, to be chosen out of the
sizers and subsizers of that college, and the produce
of them is now applied to that purpose.
THOMAS FISHER, of St. James's, Dover, by will in 1593,
devised to the poor people of Liddon 6s. 8d. to be paid yearly at
the feast of St. Thomas the Apostle; and if not paid within 14
days, then the churchwardens should distrain for 13s. 4d. the
money to be distributed at their discretion to the poor.
The poor constantly relieved are about nine, casually the same.
LIDDON is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, consists of only one isle and one chancel, having a square
tower at the west end, in which is one bell. The
church is unceiled, except one half of the chancel.
In the south wall is an arch, ornamented, with a hollow underneath, most probably for a tomb once at
the base of it. There is nothing further worth mention in it.
William de Auberville, senior, on his foundation
of the priory of West Langdon, in 1192, gave to it
this church of St. Mary of Ledene, in pure and perpetual alms, which was confirmed by Simon de Albrincis, (fn. 1) and by Sir Simon de Cryoll, great-grandson
of the former. After which, archbishop Walter
granted licence for the canons of the priory to serve in
it themselves, which prevented a vicarage being endowed in it; and the prior and canons thenceforward
appropriated the whole profits of this church to themselves. In which state it continued till the dissolution
of the priory, which happened anno 27 Henry VIII.
when it was suppressed, as not having annual revenues
of the amount of the clear value of two hundred
pounds, and was given, with all its lands and possessions, to the king, who in his 29th year, granted it,
among other possessions of the priory, in exchange to
the archbishop. In which state it continues at this
time, his grace the archbishop being now entitled to
the rectory of this church, with the manor of Liddon
appurtenant to it.
In the deed of exchange above-mentioned, anno 29
Henry VIII. of the grant of the scite of the abovementioned priory, and its possessions, to the archbishop,
they are made subject to the payment of 3l. 11s. 8d.
to the curate of Liddon; by which it should seem
that the cure of it was then esteemed a curacy. However, in the valuation in the king's books it is mentioned as a vicarage, of the yearly value of 6l. 6s. 2d.
It is now a discharged living, of the yearly certified
value of thirty-two pounds. In 1588 it was valued
at only ten pounds, communicants fifty-two. In 1640
here were the same number of communicants.
Archbishop Juxon, anno 15 Charles II. augmented
this vicarage eighteen pounds per annum, to be paid
by the lessee of the parsonage; and archbishop Tenison, by will in 1714, left to the augmentation of it
two hundred pounds, to which was added two hundred pounds more by the governors of queen Anne's
Church of Liddon.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Archbishop.||Edward Parke, A.B. ob. 1637. (fn. 2) .|
|Robert Pownall, A. M. inducted
Sept. 9, 1637.|
|William Russell, in 1662. (fn. 3) |
|John Harman Swinkell, March 8,
1669, obt. 1673.|
|Andrew Pearne, A. B. Dec. 22,
1672, obt. 1675.|
|Thomas Griffin, clerk, August 6,
1675, obt. 1704.|
|Since which this vicarage has been held IN SEQUESTRATION,
|Edward Hobbes, 1762.|
|Alexander James, in 1762,
Thomas Freeman, M. A. 1775. (fn. 4) |