THE next parish south-eastward from Stourmouth
is Elmstone, called in Domesday, Ælvetone, and in
other antient records, Elmerstone. There is only one
borough in this parish, viz. Elmstone borough, the
borsholder of which is chosen at the court leet of the
manor of Preston yearly.
THE PARISH of Elmstone is very small, it is a retired unfrequented place, having no village, and only
six houses and an half in the parish, which happens
from one of the houses standing over the stream, one
half of which is in this parish, and the other half in
Preston, the Stream, which rises in a pond there, separating the two parishes, and running thence near
most of those houses, of which the parsonage is one,
towards the river Stour north-eastward. The courtlodge stands near the south side of the parish, having
round it a moat, which is supplied by a spring rising
just above it, the water from which runs from hence
towards the river. At a small distance from hence is
the church, on the rise of a hill, round which the land
is very heathy and common-like. The parish of Wingham comes up within one field of the church. The
whole is uneven ground, the inclosures small, and most
of the land very poor. There is no fair held here.
THE MANOR OF ELMSTONE was part of the antient possessions of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, of whom it was held by one Ansfrid. Accordingly it is thus entered in the book of Domesday,
under the general title of their lands:
Anssrid holds of the abbot, AElig;veltone. It was taxed
at half a suling and half a yoke. The arable land is
. . . . . . In demesne there is one carucate, and three villeins, with three oxen in one team. In this manor Ansfrid
holds half a suling, of the demesne of the monks, and pays
from thence to St. Augustine one hundred pence per annum.
Godessa held it in see simple, and gave from thence to
St. Augustine twenty-five pence in alms every year. In
the time of king Edward the Confessor it was worth forty
shillings, and afterwards ten shillings, now sixty shillings.
After which, it appears to have been held by the
eminent family of Leyborne, one of whom Roger de
Leyborne held it of the abbot, in the 53d year of king
Henry III. And in his descendants it continued till
Juliana, daughter of Thomas de Leyborne, stiled from
the greatness of her possessions, the Infanta of Kent,
died possessed of it anno 41 Edward III. when it escheated to the crown for want of heirs, there being
found none who could make claim, to her estates, either by direct or even collateral alliance. (fn. 1) After which
king Richard II. in his 11th and 22d years, settled it
on the priory of Canons, alias Chiltern Langley, in
Hertfordshire, where it remained till the dissolution
of that house, anno 30 Henry VIII. when it came
into the king's hands, who the next year granted it,
with the scite of the priory, and other lands and estates
belonging to it, to Richard, suffragan bishop of Dover, to hold for his life, or until he should be promoted to some ecclesiastical benefice of the yearly
value of one hundred pounds, which happened before
the 36th year of that reign; for the year before that,
the king granted to Walter Hendley, esq. his attorney
general, his manor and advowson of Elmerstone,
alias Elmstone, with the woods and underwoods, late
parcel of the above priory, or of the monastery of
Dartford, or of one of them, to hold in capite by
knight's service, being then of the value of fifteen
pounds per annum. He was afterwards knighted, and
died in the 6th year of king Edward VI. leaving his
three daughters his coheirs, who next year joined in
the sale of it to Simon Lynch, gent. of Grove, in
Staple, who sold this manor, with the advowson of
the church appendant to it, in the beginning of queen
Elizabeth's reign, to Mr. William Gibbs, descended
from a family who were of the rank of gentility in Devonshire, and settled at Folkestone about Henry VII.'s
reign, and bore for their arms, Argent, three pole-axes,
sable; the patent of which was confirmed by Robert
Cooke, clarencieux. (fn. 2) His descendant of the same
name, alienated it at the latter end of king Charles I.'s
reign, to Robert Jaques, alderman of London, who
kept his shrievalty here in 1669, and was afterwards
of Luton, in Bedfordshire, and died possessed of it in
1671, leaving two daughters his coheirs, the eldest of
whom, Joane, married Henry Partridge, esq. of Berkshire, and Rebecca, the youngest, John Whitfield,
gent. of Canterbury, who shared his estate here between them, and on the division of it, the latter had
part of the demesne lands of the manor in this parish,
and other farms and lands in the adjoining parishes;
but the manor of Elmstone itself, with the appendant
advowson, was allotted to the former, in whose descendants it continued down to Henry Partridge, esq.
recorder of Lyn Regis, in Norsolk, who died in 1793,
on which it came to his son, who is the present owner
of it. A court baron is held for this manor.
There are no parocbial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about seven, casually four.
THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church is a small building, consisting of a body,
a very small north isle, and a chancel, having a square
tower, embattled at the north-west corner, in which
there are three bells. In the chancel is a handsome
monument, with a marble bust at top, for Robert
Jaques, esq. formerly an alderman and sheriff of
London, and afterwards of Luton, in Bedfordshire,
who died in 1671; his arms were, argent on a
sess sable, three escallops, or. A monument for Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Hutchesson, rector, obt.
1768. In the south isle is a monument for Henry
Whitfield, second surviving son of John Whitfield,
esq. of Canterbury, who lived at Preston, obt. 1774.
In the church-yard are several tombs for the Gibs's,
of this parish and Preston.
There is given towards the repair of the church, a
house near it, of the yearly value of three pounds, and
a house lately burnt down, and two acres of Land,
rented at fifty shilling.
This church is a rectory, the advowson of which
has always been appendant to the manor of Elmstone,
and as such is now of the patronage of Mr. Partridge,
as has been already mentioned before. It is valued
in the king's books at 6l. 7s. 8½d. and the yearly
tenths at 12s. 9¼d. In 1588 it was valued at 401.
communicants thirty eight. In 1640 it was valued at
80l. communicants forty. It is now of the clear yearly
certified value of 69l. 2s. 2d.
There are five acres of glebe land; at the valuation
in king Henry the VIIIth.'s reign there were eight.
Church Of Elmstone.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Gervas Lynch, in 1554.|
|William Gybbes, gent.||George Joye, Dec. 14, 1580,
obt. 1601. (fn. 3) |
|Petlye Wyborne, A. M. April
|Alexander Bradlye, obt. 1691.|
|Henry Partridge, esq.||Owen Evens, A. M. March 23,
1691, obt. 13, 1743. (fn. 4) |
|The King, by lapse.||David Turner, A. M. April 20,
1745, obt. 1765.|
|Henry Partridge, esq.||Thomas Hutchesson, A. M. Nov.
7, 1605, obt. 1789. (fn. 5) |
|Robert Stedman, LL. B. 1789,
obt. 1792. (fn. 6) |
|John Gregory, A. M. 1791, the