Parishes
Patrixborne

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1800

Pages

277-286

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Patrixborne', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 277-286. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63564 Date accessed: 23 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

PATRIXBORNE

IS situated the next parish southward from Bekesborne last-described. It is called in Domesday, Borne, which name it took from the bourn or stream which runs through it; and it was afterwards called Patrixborne, to distinguish it from the neighbouring parishes of Borne, situated on the same stream. There are two boroughs in this parish, viz. of Marten, alias Cheney, and of Patrixborne.

The PARISH is pleasantly situated in a fine healthy country; the bourn or stream of the Little Stour runs through this parish, close to it in the valley is the village, with the church, court-lodge, and vicarage near together, the latter a neat genteel habitation; opposite to them is a house called Heart-hall, formerly belonging to the family of Sabine, or Savin, but now to Mr. Taylor, of Bifrons. The upper, or north part of the village, is in the parish of Bekesborne, in which is a house, formerly the residence of the Coppins, now the property of Mr. Milles, of Nackington; and further on, one formerly owned by the Pordages, and afterwards by Mr. Litheridge. Eastward this parish extends up the hill, over the high downs, to within one field of Ileden, and from the village southward, across the Dover road, to a wild hilly country, as far as Whitehill wood, part of which is within this parish. It is well cloathed with trees along the valley, where the soil is fertile, especially towards Hoath, for both hops and corn, but the hill parts round the outskirts, are in general poor chalky land, covered with stones. There is no fair.

AT THE TIME of taking the survey of Domesday, in the year 1084, this parish was chiefly owned by Odo, bishop of Baieux, under the general title of whose lands it is thus described in that survey;

In Brige hundred, Richard, son of William, holds of the bishop, Borne. It was taxed at six sulings. The arable land is eight carucates. In demesne there are three carucates, and forty-four villeins, with three borderers having ten carucates. There is a church, and one servant, and four mills of sixteen shillings and eight pence. A fishery of six-pence. Pasiure, of which the foreign tenants have plougbed six acres of land. Wood for the pannage of four hogs. In the time of king Edward the Confessor it was worth eighteen pounds, when be received it ten pounds, now nineteen pounds.

Four years after the taking of this survey, the bishop was disgraced, and this manor, among the rest of his possessions, escheated to the crown. After which it appears to have been divided into moieties, one of which, called afterwards THE MANOR OF PARTIXBORNE MERTON, was held by Margerie de Bornes, who carried it in marriage to John de Pratellis, or De Pratis, as he was sometimes written, a Norman, who soon after the year 1200, gave it to his new-erected priory of Beaulieu, or De Bello loco, in Normandy, to which it afterwards became an alien cell. (fn. 1) In which state this manor continued till the 11th year of king Henry IV. when it was, with the king's licence, alienated to the priory of the same order of Augustine canons of Merton, in Surry, whence it acquired the name of Patrixborne Merton; and with this priory it remained till the suppression of it by the act of the 31st of king Henry VIII. when this manor coming into the hands of the crown, was granted that year, together with the rectory and advowson of the vicarage of Patrixborne, and all liberties, free-warren, &c. to Sir Thomas Cheney, to hold to him and his heirs male in capite, as of the castle of Rochester. After which, king Edward VI. by new letters patent, in his 4th year, regranted the whole of them, to hold to him and his heirs for ever. He was succeeded in it by his only son Henry Cheney, esq. afterwards lord Cheney; (fn. 2) and he soon afterwards alienated it to Sir Thomas Herbert, who in the 21st year of that reign sold it to Thomas Smith, who passed it away before the end of the same reign to William Partherich, and his grandson Sir Edward Partherich, of Bridge, alienated it in 1638 to Mr. afterwards Sir Arnold Braems, of that parish, the heirs of whose son Walter Braems, sold it in 1704 to John Taylor, esq. of Bifrons, in this parish, in whose descendants it continued down to Edward Taylor, esq.' the present possessor of this manor, with the rectory and advowson of the church of Patrixborne.

The OTHER MOIETY of the manor of Patrixborne, called afterwards THE MANOR OF PATRIXBORNE CHENEY, after the bishop's disgrace, came into the possession of the family of Say, in which it continued till Sir William de Say, in Henry III.'s reign, gave it to Sir Alexander de Cheney. He afterwards resided here, whence it gained the name of Patrixborne Cheney; but his son William having married Margaret, daughter and heir of Sir Robert de Shurland, of Shurland, in Shepey, removed afterwards thither. After which it remained in his descendants down to Sir T. Cheney, K. G. of Shurland, who having obtained from Henry VIII. in his 31st year, a grant of the other moiety of the manor of Patrixborne, as above-mentioned, became possessed of the whole of this manor, which, notwithstanding, continued as two separate manors, in both which he was succeeded by his son Henry Cheney, (afterwards created lord Cheney, of Tuddington) who in the beginning of that reign alienated them to Sir Thomas Herbert. Since which they both remained in the same succession of ownership, as has already been mentioned before, in the description of the manor of Patrixborne Merton, down to Edward Taylor, esq. the present possessor of both these manors; which appear now to be united, as one court only is held for both of them, stiled, the court leet and court baron of the manors of Patrixborne Merton and Cheney.

BIFRONS is a seat in this parish, situated at a small distance westward from the church, which was originally built by Mr. John Bargar, or Bargrave, whose ancestors were originally of the adjcining parish of Bridge. Robert Bargrave, of Bridge, died in 1600, leaving a numerous issue; of whom John, the eldest son, was the builder of Bifrons, and Isaac, the sixth, was dean of Canterbury, and ancestor of Isaac Bargrave, esq. of Eastry, where further mention will be made of him. They bore for their arms, Argent, on a pale, gules, a sword with the point upwards, the pomel, or, on a chief, azure, three bezants. His grandson John Bargrave, esq. sold it in 1662 to Sir Arthur Slingsby, knight and baronet, descended of a younger branch of the Slingsbys, of Scriven, in Yorkshire, and created a baronet at Brussells in 1657; his arms were, Gules, a chevron, between two leopards faces, in chief, and a bugle born, in base, argent. His son and heir Sir Charles Slingsby, bart. in 1677, alienated it to Mr. Thomas Baker, merchant, of London, (fn. 3) on whose death it came to Mr. William Whotton, gent. of London, and he in 1680 passed it away to Thomas Adrian, esq. who kept his shrievalty here in 1690. He alienated it in 1694 to John Taylor, esq. the son of Nathaniel Taylor, barrister at law, descended of a family at Wlitchurch, in Salop, whose arms were, Gules, three roses, argent, a chief chequy, argent and sable. He died in 1729, leaving four sons and four daughters. Of the former, Brook, the eldest, was LL.D. and F. R. S. a learned and ingenious gentleman, who, among other treatises, wrote one on perspective. He died in 1731, leaving an only daughter Elizabeth, married to Sir William Young, bart. Herbert, in holy orders, of whom hereafter; Charles, a merchant at Moscow; and Bridges. Of the daughters, Mary died unmarried, at Bridge-place, in 1771, and Olive married John Bowtell, D. D. vicar of Patrixborne. The eldest son Dr. Brook Taylor succeeded his father in this seat, but dying without male issue in 1731, his next brother the Rev. Herbert Taylor became possessed of it, and resided here. He died in 1763, leaving by Mary, one of the daughters of Edward Wake, clerk, prebendary of Canterbury, and first-cousin to the archbishop, two sons, Herbert and Edward, the eldest of whom succeeded him in this seat, with his other estates in this county, but dying unmarried in 1767, his brother, the Rev. Edward Taylor, succeeded him in it, and afterwards rebuilt, nearly on the old scite, this seat of Bifrons, so called from its double front, and the builder of it, in commendation of his wife, placed this motto on the fore front: Diruta ædificat uxor bona, ædificata diruit mala. It was a handsome spacious house, the front of which had a very grand and venerable appearance. He died in 1798, leaving by Margaret his wife, daughter of Thomas Turner Payler, esq. of Ileden, who died at Brussells in 1780, four sons and three daughters, of whom Edward, the eldest, is a captain in the Romney fencible dragoons; Herbert is a captain likewise in the army, private secretary, and aid de camp to the duke of York; Brook is private secretary to the secretary of state for foreign affairs; and Bridges, the youngest, is a lieutenant in the navy. Of the daughters, the eldest, Mary Elizabeth married Edward-Wilbraham Bootle, esq. M. P. Charlotte married the Rev. Mr. Northey, and Margaret. Edward Taylor, esq. the esdest son, succeeded on his father's death to this seat, and continues owner of it.

HODE, now usually called Hothe, and Hothe-house, in this parish, was antiently part of the possessions of the family of Isaac, who bore for their arms, Sable, a bend, in the sinister point, a leopard's head, or; one of whom, John Isaac, held it in the 20th year of king Edward III. His descendant Edward Isaac had his lands disgavelled by the act of 31 Henry VIII. and his descendant of the same name, at length leaving only three daughters his coheirs, this estate went in marriage by Jane, his only daughter by his first wife, first to Martin Sidley, esq. of Great Chart, and secondly to Sir Henry Palmer, of Howlets, who by his will in 1611, gave it to his son in-law Sir Isaac Sidley, bart. and he conveyed his right in it to his brother-inlaw Sir Henry Palmer, from whose descendant it went by sale to Merriweather, and Edward Merriweather, about the year 1680, alienated it to Thomas Adrian, gent. who conveyed it, with Bifrons and other estates in this parish, in 1694, to John Taylor, esq. in whose descendants it has, in like manner, continued down to Edward Taylor, esq. the present possessor of it.

RENVILLE is a manor, in this parish, which formerly belonged to owners of the name of Crippen, one of whom, Thomas Crippen, died possessed of it in the beginning of king James I.'s reign, leaving an only daughter and heir Joane, who carried it in marriage to Robert Naylor, gent. whose arms were,Argent, on a bend, sable, three covered cups of the field, their rims, or. His son John, about the year 1638, sold it to William Kingley, S. T. P. archdeacon of Canterbury, who left a numerous issue, of whom George, the eldest son, succeeded to this estate, whose only son William died in 1701, leaving William, of whom mention will be made hereafter; and Anthony, who was ancestor of Thomas Pincke Kingsley, gent. now of London. From William Kingsley, esq. the eldest son, this estate came down at length to his grandson lieutenant general William Kingsley, who resided at Maidstone, where he died in 1769 unmarried, and bequeathed this manor by will to his first-cousin Mr. Charles Kingsley, of London, for his life, (fn. 4) on whose death in 1785, it came by the entail of the above will to his second son Mr. Thomas Pincke Kingsley, now of London, who is the present possessor of it.

HIGHAM is another manor, for it was formerly so accounted, though it has long since lost the reputation of having been one, situated at the boundary of this parish, upon the high grounds, at a small distance from the northern side of Barham-downs. It was antiently owned by a family of the same name, one of whom, Nicholas, son of William de Higham, by a deed of the 13th year of king Edward III. to which his seal is appendant, viz. a lion passant regardant, between six crosses formee, fitchee, appears to have held it at that time, together with the manor of Northington, in the hundred of Downhamford, not far distant. Not long after which it passed into the name of Bourne, and afterwards of Haut, of the adjoining parish of Bishopsborne, in which it remained till at length Elizabeth, daughter and coheir of Sir William Haut, of Bishopsborne, carried it in marriage to Thomas Colepeper, esq. of Bedgbury, and he, in the 34th year of king Henry VIII. alienated it to Sir Anthony Aucher, in whose descendants it continued down to Sir Hewit Aucher, bart. who dying in 1726, s. p. by his will gave it to his sister Elizabeth, who entitled her husband John Corbet, LL. D. of Salop, to the possession of it. He left five daughters his coheirs, viz. Katherine, married to Stephen Beckingham; Elizabeth to Thomas Denward; Frances, to Sir William Hardres, bart. Antonina, to Ignatius Geohagan; and Hannah, to William Hougham, who became on his death jointly entitled to it. After which, Ignatius Geohagan, esq. before-mentioned, about the year 1768, built the present seat, called HIGHAM PLACE, and resided in it for some time, and then alienated his fifth part of it, as did the heirs of Katherine, Elizabeth, and Hannah, who were before deceased, their respective fifth parts, about 1781, to James Hallet, esq. who now resides in it, and has since purchased the remaining fifth part of the heirs of Frances, widow of Sir William Hardres, bart. who died in 1783. (fn. 5)

Charities.

SIR HENRY PALMER, of Bekesborne, by will in 1611, gave the sum of 10s. to be yearly paid out of his manor of Well-court, towards the relief of the poor of this parish, and he left the like som towards the relief of the poor of several of the neighbouring parishes, none of which has ever been paid to them.

The poor constantly maintained are about eight, casually 12.

THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of Bridge.

The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, consists of one middle and two smaller side isles, a high and a south chancel, having a spire steeple on the south side, in which there is only one bell. This church is but small. It seems very antient. The pillars in it are very large and clumsy, and the arches circular. In the middle isle are several memorials of the Dennes, of this parish. The south chancel, formerly called the Isaac, but now the Bifrons chancel, as belonging to that seat, is covered with pews. In it are monuments for the Taylors, of Bifrons. At the entrance a memorial for John Bargrave, builder of Bifrons. In the north isle, in a window, are the arms of Fogge. Under the steeple, on the south side, is a fine arched doorway, circular, ornamented with much carvework and emblematical figures of Saxon architecture, much like that at Barfriston, (of which a plate is given in Grose's Antiquities, vol. i. præf. p. 66); and a smaller one on the south side of the high chancel, of a similar sort, over which is a small stone figure, having on its head, seemingly, a crown, and head-dress on each side hanging down, with its hands listed up as if having had something between them, perhaps for the virgin and child; but it is so corroded by time, that what it was meant for, can only be guessed at. At the east end of the chancel is a small circular window, of different compartments, like that at Bartriston. In the west part of the church-yard, are tombs for James De Roussell, esq. a truly good and worthy man, obt. 1775, and Elizabeth his wife; and for John Bowtell, D. D. vicar of Patrixborne, and Olive his wife; and one for Mrs. Mary Taylor, who died in 1771.

The church of Patrixborne, with the chapel of Bridge annexed, was given and appropriated to the priory of Merton, in Surry, as early as the year 1258, anno 43 Henry III. on condition that three canons should reside, for the performance of all parochial duties; and if the profits increased, more should be sent for that purpose. (fn. 6) In which state this church continued till the dissolution of the priory, by the act of the 31st year of king Henry VIII. when it came, together with the manor of Patrixborne Merton, belonging to the priory, into the king's hands, who granted both that year to Sir Thomas Cheney. Since which they have passed, in the same tract of ownership as has been already related before, in the description of that manor, down to Edward Taylor, esq. the present owner of the appropriation and advowson of the vicarage of this church, with the chapel of Bridge annexed.

It is, with the chapel of Bridge, valued in the king's books at 5l. 7s. 3½d. and the yearly tenths at 10s. 8¾d. In 1578 here were thirty-nine communicants. In 1640 it was valued at fixty pounds, communicants fifty.

Church of Patrixborne with the Chapel of Bridgeannexed.

PATRONS,VICARS.
Or by whom presented.
James Coleby, May 8, 1644.
John Fige, A. B. obt. 1667. (fn. 7)
John Mackallam, A. M. Nov. 20, 1667, obt. January 27, 1698. (fn. 8)
Margaret Braems, widow . . . .John Bowtell, S. T. P. February 20, 1697, obt. January 5, 1753. (fn. 9)
Mary Taylor hac vice..Herbert Taylor, A. M. February 3, 1753, obt. September 29, 1763. (fn. 10)
Herbert Taylor, esq . . . .Edward Taylor, A. M. Nov. 16, 1763, obt. Dec. 1798. (fn. 11)
Edward Taylor, esq . . . .William Take, May, 1799, present vicar.

Footnotes

1 Prynne, p. 707. See some account of the state of these alien cells before, under that of Folkestone, vol. vii. p. 179.
2 Rot. Esch. anno 3 Elizabeth, pt. 3. See more of the Cheneys, vol. vi. of this history, p. 247.
3 There is a pedigree of Baker, of Patrixborne, descended originally from Cranbrooke, in the Heralds office, book marked D. f. 31a. See Vistn. co. Worcester, anno 1683, p. 103.
4 See vol. vii. of this history, p. 551.
5 See more of them under Stelling, vol. viii. p. 93, and Bishopsborne hereafter.
6 Ord. & approp. eccles. anno 1528. Reg. Arundel, ps. I, f. 15, Tan. Mon p. 219. Inquisitio de fructibus eccles. Sine datu. Reg. Prior de Merton, f. 213. Bibl. Cott. Cleopatra, Cvii, 20.
7 Buried in Bridge church.
8 Buried in the chancel of this church.
9 Likewise rector of Staplehurst, and lies buried with his wife Olive under a tomb in Patrixborne churchyard.
10 And by dispensation rector of Honton.
11 And rector of Rucking by dispensation.