Is the next parish south-eastward from West Langdon, being written in Domesday, Gociston, and in other
records both Gounceston and Gusseton. There is a borsholder for the borough of Guston, chosen at the court
leet of Dover priory, which court claims paramount
over that district. The manor of Ripple claims likewise over part of this parish, as does the manor of East
THIS SMALL PARISH is unfrequented, and but little
known. It lies, as well as those last-described, among
the continued high hills and deep valleys which extend
over the whole of this country, which is alike, much
of it downy, very open and uninclosed, and the land
very chalky and poor, great part of it being covered
with furze and heath. The village, with the church, is
situated in the northern part of it. There is nothing
worth further notice in it.
THE MANOR OF GUSTON formerly belonged to the
abbot and convent of St. Augustine, who held it as a
prebend in the church of St. Martin, in Dover; but it
does not seem to have been given to them till after the
taking of the survey of Domesday, in 1080; for it is
thus entered in that record, under the general title of
the possessions of the canons of St. Martin:
In Gocistone, Ulric holds one yoke, and there he has
two villeins, and one borderer, with one carucate. To
this land there belong twenty five acres of land in Corneli hundred, and there are five borderers with half a
carucate. In the whole it is worth twenty shillings. In
the time of king Edward the Consessor ten shillings. Elric
held it as a prebend.
It was not long after this, that this prebend was
given to St. Augustine's monastery, and in 1179,
anno 24 Henry II. the abbot procured a bull from
the pope to confirm it to them, and his successors afterwards obtained several others from the future popes,
for the like purpose. (fn. 1)
In the 7th year of king Edward II. anno 1313, in
the iter of H. de Stanton and his sociates, justices
itinerant, the abbot, upon a quo warranto, claimed
and was allowed certain liberties in this manor of
Goncistone, among others, and view of frank-pledge
and weif within it, as having been granted by several
of the king's predecessors, and confirmed by him in
his 6th year, the same having been allowed in the
last iter of J. de. Berewick, all which was afterwards
confirmed by king Edward III. by inspeximus, in his
36th year, and by king Henry VI. afterwards. In
king Richard II.'s reign the measurement of the abbot's lands at Gonstone, was one hundred and nine
acres of pasture.
In which state this manor continued, with THE
MANOR OF FRITH, now usually called the Fright,
from its heathy situation in the part of this parish,
adjoining to Buckland and Charlton, which was likewise part of the antient possessions of the same canons
of St. Martin's, till the final dissolution of that priory
in the 27th year of king Henry VIII. when this manor or prebend of Guston, and that of Frith, came into
the hands of the crown, whence they were granted by
the king in his 29th year, with the scite of the priory
and other possessions late belonging to it, in exchange
to the archbishop, in which situation these manors
still continue, his grace the archbishop being at this
time entitled to the inheritance of them.
There are no courts held for these manors, nor have
they any manerial rights, the manor of Dover priory
claiming such rights over them. The right hon. the
earl of Guildford is the present lessee of these manors,
and the parsonage of Guston.
THERE WAS GIVEN, by a person unknown, to the use of
the poor of this parish, half an acre of land, of the annual value
of three shillings
The poor constantly relieved are about eight, casually four.
GUSTON is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is exempted from the archdeacon, is dedicated to St. Martin, and consists of only
one isle and a chancel, having neither tower nor steeple,
nor any monument or thing worth notice in it.
This church was part of the antient possessions of
the priory of St. Martin, to which it was appropriated
by archbishop Edmund in 1239, anno 24 Henry III.
with a reserve of eight marcs to the vicar for his portion, which was confirmed by the pope. On the dissolution of the priory in the 27th year of Henry VIII.
the appropriation of this church, with the advowson
of the vicarage, came into the king's hands, and was
granted as above-mentioned, with the other possessions
of the priory, in the 29th year of that reign, to the
archbishop, in exchange, subject to the payment of
four pounds yearly to the vicar; since which they
have remained parcel of the possessions of the see of
Canterbury, his grace the archbishop being at this
time possessed of them. The earl of Guildford is the
present lessee of this parsonage.
In the 8th year of king Richard II. anno 1384, the
vicarage, on account of the smallness of it was not
taxed to the tenth. In 1588 here were thirty-eight
communicants. In 1640 here were thirty-nine.
It has long since been esteemed as a chapel. The
archbishop nominates a perpetual curate to it, and
pays the antient pension of four pounds yearly to the
curate, who is entitled to the small tithes of the
Archbishop Juxon augmented this curacy, anno
13 Charles II. with ten pounds per annum to be paid
out of the great tithes, and the same was confirmed
anno 27 of that regin.
It was lately returned to be of the yearly value of
fourteen pounds, since which it has been augmented
by the governors of queen Anne's bounty, in conjunction with the adjoining parish of West Langdon,
of which an account has been given before in the description of that vicarage.
Church of Guston.
|Or by whom presentea.|
|Archbishop of Canterbury.||Isaac Lovel, A. B. 1672, obt,
1729. (fn. 2) |
|William Wood, A. M. ob. Feb.
|William Newton, obt. May,
1744. (fn. 3) |
|John Queteville, A. M. 1772,
obt. 1788. (fn. 4) |
|Thomas Delanoy, A. M. 1788,
the present curate.|