SO called in regard to the adjoining parish of West
Langdon, and from the two words, langeand dune,
signifying the long down or hill, this parish being frequently
written in antient records, Langedune. There
are two boroughs in this parish, East Langdon and
Martin. A borsholder is chosen for the first at the
court held for the manor of East Langdon; and one
for the latter, at the court for the manor of Norborne.
The soil and appearance of the country in this parish,
is much the same as in the adjoining ones of West
Langdon and Guston, described in the former part of
The village of East Langdon, containing about fifteen houses, lies at the southern part of the parish, having the church and court-lodge on the opposite side of
it. The hamlet of Martin, of Merton, as it has been
sometimes spelt, contains fifteen houses. There is a
fair held in this parish on Old May-day, for toys and
THE MANOR OF LANGDON was part of the
antient possessions of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, from whom it was wrested by some of the
powerful men in very early times, as appears by the
chronicle of it; but it the year 1110, anno 11 king
Henry I. Hugo, abbot of the monastery, recovered in
the king's court, the lands of Langedon, among others,
against Manasses Arsic, who had then unjustly the possession of them. (fn. 1) After which, the abbot, with the
consent of the convent, assigned this manor, among
others, to the cloathing of the monks there.
In the year 1313, being the 7th year of king Edward II.'s reign, in the iter of H. de Stanton and his
sociates, justices itinerant, the abbot, upon a quo warranto, claimed and was allowed in this manor, among
other liberties, view of frank pledge, in like manner as
has been already mentioned in the description of the
other manors belonging to the monastery. (fn. 2) And the liberty
of the view of frank-pledge was in particular
further confirmed by that king in his 10th year, as all
of them were afterwards by king Edward III. in his
36th year, by his charter of inspeximus, among the rest
of the possessions and liberties of the abbey, and king
Henry VI. likewise confirmed the same. In king Richard II.'s reign, the measurement of their lands in
this parish was, of arable, 164 acres and half a rood, and
of pasture 120 acres and an half.
In which situation this manor continued till its final
dissolution, in the 30th year of king Henry VIII. when
it was with all its revenues surrendered into the king's
hands, who soon after granted this manor to archbishop
Cranmer, who, in the 34th year of the same reign, reconveyed it back again to the king, in exchange, for
other premises, who granted the see of it, together with
the advowson of the parsonage of Langdon, the tithes
arising from the hamlet of Marton, and the pastures of
Guston, inter alia, to John Master, gent. to hold in capite by knight's service.
He resided afterwards at East Langdon court, where
he died in 1588, anno 31 Elizabeth, bearing for his
arms, Azure, a fess embattled, between there griffins
heads, erases, or. His eldest son, James Master, gent.
of East Langdon, rebuilt the mansion of Langdoncourt; which with other premises, granted as abovementioned, continued down in his descendants to James
Master, esq. of East Langdon, with several other farms
and lands in this parish, purchased by him and his father, Richard Master, all which he alienated to Matthew Aylmer, esq. who again sold them to Sir Henry
Furnese, bart. afterwards of Waldershare, who died
possessed of this manor, with the premises above-mentioned, in 1712. (fn. 3) After which, his grand-daughter Catherine,
in 1736, carried this estate in marriage, first
to Lewis, earl of Rockingham, and secondly, to Francis, earl of Guildford, by neither of whom she had any
issue, and dying in 1766, gave this estate, among the
rest of her property, to her surviving husband, who
died possessed of it in 1790, and his grandson the present right hon. George Augustus, earl of Guildford, is
at this time the owner of it.
A court leet and court baron is held for this manor,
Only part of the mansion of Langdon court is now
standing, the rest having been some time since pulled
down. It is at present occupied as a farm-house.
THE MANOR OF PISING, together with the lands
called Pinham, are situated in the northern part of this
parish, and in that of Guston. At the time of taking
the survey of Domesday, in the 15th year of the Conqueror's reign, both these estates were in the possession
of the bishop of Baieux, under the general title of
whose lands they are thus entered in it:
In Beusberg hundred. The same Osbern (paisforer)
holds of the bishop twelve acres of land, which are worth,
per annum, four shillings. Hugo de Porth holds of the
bishop, Pesinges and Piham; they were taxed at two
sulings. The arable lands is …… In demesne there
are two carucates and an half, and six villeins, with fourteen borderers, having one carucate. In the time of king
Edward the Confessor, they were worth one hundred shillings, and afterwards nothing; now six pounds. Lesstan, and Leuuin, and Eluret, and Sired, and two others,
held them in the time of king Edward the Confessor, and
could go with their lands wherever they would.
Upon the hishop's disgrace four years after, the king
seized on all his possessions, and Hugo de Port, who
before held this manor and estate of the bishop, became
immediate tenant to the king for it, as his supreme
lord, who assigned these lands, among others, to Hugh
de Port, for his assistance under John de Fienes for the
defence of Dover castle. These lands, which together
made up the barony of Port, were held of the king in
capite, by barony; the tenant of them being bound by
the tenure to maintain a certain number of soldiers
there, from time to time, for the defence of that fortress.
Of Hugh de Port, and his heirs, the St. Johns, these
estates, above described in Domesday, were again afterwards held by Robert de Champania, or Champaine,
son of Sir Robert de Champania, of Norton, in king
Henry III.'s reign, by knight's service, and of him
they were again held as two separate manors, each called
by the name of Pising, by a family who took their name
from their residence here, and bore for their arms, Perpale, azure and argent, a cross moline, gules; the last of
whom, Sir Philip de Pising, dying in that reign, leaving two daughters his coheirs, it caused this division of
them by Joane one of the coheirs.
ONE OF THESE MANORS went in marriage to Greyland St. Leger, who held it in like manner as abovementioned, and he sold it in 1227, anno 12 Henry III.
by the description of his capital estate of Pysing, and
the thired part of the corn at Pynham, and the donation
and advowson of all the tithes of Pysing, to Bertram
de Criol, then constable of Dover castle, who gave the
same soon afterwards to the abbot and convent of St.
THE OTHER of these manors was carried in marriage
by Diamonda, the other daughter and coheir of Sir
Philip de Pising, to John de Bikenore, whence it acquired the name of Pysing Bikenore; but he, in the
year 1243, anno 28 Henry III. enfeoffed the abbot and
convent of St. Radigund in this estate. In which state
both these manors continued till the final dissolution of
the monastery, in the 27th year of king Henry VIII.
who granted them with the scite and other possessions of
it to archbishop Cranmer, in exchange, (fn. 4) who soon afterwards reconveyed them to the crown; but in the
act for this purpose, among other exceptions, was that
of the manor of Pysing, in Beusfield, Guston, and
Langdon, by which it seems that the two manors before mentioned were then esteemed, from the unity of
possession, but as one, which, as such, afterwards continued parcel of the possessions of the see of Canterbury,
as it does at this time, his grace the archbishop being
now entitled to the inheritance of it.
The earl of Guildford is the present lessee of this
manor, on a beneficial lease. There is no court held
THERE WAS A PORTION OF TYTHES in Pysing, belonging to the chamberlain of St. Augustine's monastery, and was assigned to the cloathing of the monks
THE HAMLET OF MARTON lies in the northeren part
of this parish. In this hamlet, a branch of the family
of Marsh resided for many generations, till they, about
the middle of the last century, removed to Dover.
Philipott certainly never saw this place to give it the
name of Marshton, (though it is so written in more
places than one in the parish-register, through ignorance) from its low and marshy situation; for on the
contrary, it is high land, and appears to have been
spelt in antient deeds and records, both Merton and
The family of Marsh above-mentioned, in king
Henry V.'s time, wrote themselves Atte-Mersh, they
bore for their arms, Quarterly, gules, and argent, in the
first quarter, a horses head, couped at the neck, gules;
and from these were descended those of Brandred and
Nethersole, as already mentioned in former parts of
this history. Their seat and estate here now belongs
to Mr. James Jekin, of Oxney. The house, when
Mr. Jekin bought it, was in part only, standing;
built of stone and brick, and of no very great antiquity. He has pulled the whole of it down, and has
built a large one on the scite of it, for his own residence.
THERE IS a Portion of Tithes arising from this hamlet,
which antiently belonged to the monastery of St. Augustine. This portion, which consisted of the whose
tithes of corn within this ville, coming into the possession of the family of Master, with the manor of East
Langdon, after the dissolution of the monastery, passed
in like manner afterwards into the family of Furnese;
and on the partition of their estates, in the 9th year of
king George II. was allotted, among other premises,
to Edward Dering, esq. afterwards Sir Edward Dering, bart. in right of his wife Selina, one of the three
daughters and coheirs of Sir Robert Furnese, bart. and
he a few years ago alienated it to Mr. John Jeken, of
Oxney, and his son Mr. James Jeken above-mentioned,
is the present owner of it.
JAMES MASTER, of East, Langdon, by will in 1631, gave
to the church wardens and overseers, 10l. as a stock for the poor,
to be bestowed upon wool and hemp, to set them to work towards their maintenance, they to receive such benefit as should
arise from the working of it; and as he had repaired the house
belonging to the clerk, that it might be a help for some poor
body, being unprovided of an house, and not able to hire one,
his will therefore was, and he thought it very reasonable, in
respect of the charge he had bestowed, that it should be for
such person to dwell in rent free, and so from time to time, as
it should become void; and when the house should want reparations, that he that dwelt in his manision-house of East Langdon should sufficiently repair it at all times.
The poor constantly relieved are about eight, casually three.
A WORKHOUSE was erected in Martin-street about
1790, in which are kept the poor of the several parishes of East Langdon, St. Margaret's at Cliffe, comprehending Oxney, united to it sometime since in respect to the poor rates, Guston, West Langdon, Little
Mongeham, Great Mongeham, Sutton, Ripple, and
Westcliffe. A manufactory of spinning and weaving
linen, sacking, sheeting, &c. is carried on in it. The
number of poor between forty and fifty. This house is
visited by proper persons deputed from each parish,
and under good regulations, so that it appears comfortable and clean, and the people content; which is
here noticed as a laudable undertaking, worthy of being adopted in other places; for it is not often the
case in parish work-houses, which are usually kept in a
state of misery purposely, both from parsimony and to
terrisy the poor objects, who are threatened with consinement in them.
THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Augustine, is
small and mean, consisting of a nave, a samll isle on the
south side only, and a chancel; a wooden tower at the
west end, with a spire much out of the perpendicualr, in
which are four bells, none of which are antient. There
are no marks of antiquity in it, nor any remains of
painted glass. In it there is a memorial for Thomas
Paramor, gent. rector; arms at top, Paramor (of the
Stantenborough branch). For John Rattray, rector,
obt. Nov. 1, 1772. A brass plate was lately to the
memory of one of the Master family, now lost. In this
church lie intereed many of this family of Langdoncourt, and of Marsh, of Marton; all whose memorials
are now gone; but in the chancel is a monument remaining for Thomas Marsh, gent. of Marton, obit.
1634. In this church there is a most curious antient
pulpit-cloth, of crimson velvet, richly embroidered
with the words, Jesu. Maria, plentifully worked on it,
and two large female figures in gold embroidery, kneeling before two altars, with a book on each, with a scroll
issuing out of their mouths, and underneath this imperfect inscription, Orate po. ana Jobs …… od ..…
Most probably meant for the donor.
This church was always appurtenant to the manor of
East Langdon, and as such, the present patron of it is
the right hon. the earl of Guildford.
There was an agreement made in 1696, between
the rector of this parish and the vicar of Norborne,
concerning the annual payment of four shillings to the
said vicar, and confirmed by the abbot and convent of
St. Augustine, in which mention is made, that the parishioners of the church of East Langdon were bound
towards the repair of that of Norborne.
It is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 7l. but
is now a discharged living, estimated at about the
yearly value of 46l. having three acres of glebe belonging to it. In 1588 here were seventy-two-communicants. In 1674 there were the like number of
communicants; and it was valued at 80l.
The demesne lands of the manor of East Langdon,
about eighty acres, are exempt from the payment of
great tithes, as are those of the ville or hamlet of Martin, in this parish, being the larger moiety of it; but
the rector is entitled to the small tithes arising from the
whole of the lands withing this parish.
The church of West Langdon being in ruins, the
inhabitants of that parishl resort to this church for the
benefit of divine service; and all christenings, burials,
&c. are persormed here.
Curch of East Langdon.
|Or by whom presented.|
|James Master, esq.||John Dauling, A. M. July 15,
1674. resigned 1679. (fn. 5) |
|Thomas Paramore, gent. A. M.
July 9, 1679, obt. May 3,
1701. (fn. 6) |
|Matthew Aylmer, esq.||John Reamsey, A. M. June 25,
1701, obt. Aug. 18, 1714. (fn. 7) |
|Sir Robert Furnese, bart.||William Stockwood, S. T. P.
February 19, 1724, resigned
|Lewis, earl of Rockingham.||John Arnald, clerk, May 26,
1738. (fn. 8) |
|Trustees of Catherine, countess of
Guildford.||John Rattray, A. M. Feb 10,
1763, obt. Nov. 1, 1772. (fn. 9) |
|Francis, earl of Guildford.||John Queteville, A. B. Nov.
28, 1772, obt. January 13,
|Thomas Delanoy, A. M. 1788,
the present rector. (fn. 10) |