OR Parva Mongeham, as it is sometimes written;
in Domesday, Mundingeham, has the above addition,
to distinguish it from the adjoining parish of Great
Mongeham, last described.
A borsholder is chosen at the court of Norborne
manor alternately every year, for the borough of Little
Mongeham, including East Studdal, and for the borough of Ashley, in the parish of Norborne.
THIS PARISH contains about sixteen houses within
it, and about 1000 acres of land. It reaches a long
way southward till it joins Waldershare parish, comprehending all East Studdal, the estates in which be
long to Mr. Barrett, of Lee, and the heirs of Mr. Michael Russell, of Dover, as far as the road leading
from Betshanger to Maidensole, which is likewise in
this parish. It is rather more hilly, and the soild more
inclined to chalk, than Great Mongeham, last-described, and the fields are more open and uninclosed.
There is not any fair.
THE MANOR OF LITTLE MONGEHAM was given
by Aldric, son of Widred, king of Kent, with the
consent of archbishop Bregwyn, in the Ist year of his
reign, anno 760, by the description of six plough
lands in the southern part of the antient ville of
Mundlingham, which land was called Parva Mungeham, to Lambert, or Jambert as he is called by some,
then abbot of St. Augustine's Monastery, for the use
of his convent. (fn. 1)
In the survey of Domesday, the abbot's possessions
here are thus entered, under the general title of the
land of the church of St. Augustine:
The abbot himself holds Mundingeham. It was taxed
at two sulings and an half. The arable land is five carucates. In this manor, the land which the monks hold,
was never taxed. And Wadard held there land, which
in the time of king Edward the Confessor was always
taxed; and at that time it was a manor jointly together.
Now the monks have in demesne four carucates and
twenty borderers, with one carucate, and one mill of sixteen shillings, and wood for the pannage of four hogs.
There is a church. In the time of king Edward the Confessor, it was worth twenty-two pounds, and afterwards
ten pounds. The part of the abbot twenty six pounds.
Wadard has in demesne there one carucate and eight
villeins, having four carucates. It is and was worth
It pays no service from thence, except thirty shillings
per annum to the abbot.
In the year 1313, being the 7th year of king Edward II. in the iter of H. de Stanton and his sociates,
justices itinerants, the abbot upon a quo warranto,
claimed and was allowed sundry liberties therein mentioned in this manor, among others, in like manner
as has been already mentioned before, in the description of the other manors belonging to this monastery,
in the former parts of this History. (fn. 2)
Salamon de Ripple, a monk of this monastery,
being about the 10th year of king Edward III. appointed by the abbot keeper of several of their manors, made many improvements in them, particularly
at Lityl Mungam, where he built much.
After this, the manor of Little Mongeham continued part of the possessions of this monastery till its
final dissolution in the 30th year of Henry VIII. when
it was, with all its revenues, surrendered into the king's
hands, by whom this manor was afterwards, with the
advowson of the church, granted to the archbishop,
and his successors, part of whose possessions it continues at this time. The lease of this estate, the advowson being reserved to the archbishop, has been
for many years held by the possessors of Knolton manor, the present lessee being Sir Narborough D'Aeth,
bart. now of Knolton.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about four, casually two.
THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESTASTICAL
JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry
of Sandwich. (fn. 3)
The church has been ruinated for many years, but
the foundations are remaining in a little pasture-close,
near the farm-house of Little Mongeham manor.
It is a rectory, which has ever been appurtenant to
the manor, and as such belonged to the abbot and
convent of St. Augustine, after the dissolution of
which, the manor, with the advowson appurtenant,
was granted to Sir John Baker, who reconveyed the
advowson itself back again to the crown, whence it
was granted, among other premises, by Edward VI.
in his 1st year, to archbishop Cranmer, since which it
has continued parcel of the possessions of the see of
Canterbury, his grace the archbishop being the present patron of it.
The rectory is valued in the king's books at 5l. 15s.
In 1640 it was valued at 50l. It is now a discharged
living, and is of the clear yearly value of 90l. out of
which, however, the incumbent pays five guineas
yearly to the curate of Sutton, for officiating in that
church, for the inhabitantants of this parish. There
are seven acres and an half of glebe land.
Mr. Bacon, in his Liber Regis, gives the clear yearly
value of many of the livings throughout England,
taken from such information as he had received, and
that mostly from the several incumbents of them;
but this value can by no means be relied on, as may
be seen in relation to many of them in this county;
and as an instance, this rectory of Little Mongeham
is set down by him at the clear yearly value of thirtyfive pounds only.
The parsonage, or grange of Asheley, in the parish
of Norborne, has twelve acres of glebe belonging to
it in this parish, and it receives the great tithes of
Maidensole-farm, and of about two hundred acres
more within the bounds of this parish.
Forty acres of land belonging to the almonry, or
parsonage of Norborne, belonging to the archbishop,
Sir Narborough D'Aeth, bart. lessee, lies in this parish, and claimed an exemption of tithes, but on a
suit lately instituted between White, vicar of Little
Mongeham, versus D'Aeth, the vicar recovered his
right to the tithe of this land, which has been paid
Church of Little Mongeham.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Archbishop.||David Wilkins, S. T. P. resig.
1719. (fn. 4) |
|Balthazzar Regis, S. T. P. Dec.
12, 1719, obt. January 5,
1757. (fn. 5) |
|Francis Walwyn, S. T. P. 1757,
obt. May 19, 1770 (fn. 6) |
|Henry Shove, A. M. 1770, resig.
1772. (fn. 7) |
|John White, A. M. Nov. 3,
1772, obt. 1789. (fn. 8) |
|John Lloyd, A. M. 1789, resig.
|Grissith Grissith, M. A. Nov.
1792, ob. 1796. (fn. 9) |
|Thomas Pearce, D. D. 1796, the
present rector. (fn. 10) |