WRITTEN in the survey of Domesday, Cilledene,
lies the next parish westward from Knolton, taking its
name from its cold and low situation. The manors of
Knolton and Woodnesborough claim over part of
this parish, as does the manor of Adisham over another
part of it. A borsholder is appointed for this parish
by the justices, at their petty sessions for this division of
the lath of St. Augustine.
THE PARISH of Chillenden lies dry and healthy, but
it is not very pleasantly situated, though surrounded
by other parishes which are remarkably so; it is very
small, containing only one hundred and sixty acres, and
the whole rents in it amount to little more than 250l.
per annum. There are three farms in it, one belonging to Mr. Hammond, and the other two to Sir Brook
Bridges, bart. It lies low in a bottom, the high road
from Canterbury to Deal leads through the village
called Chillenden-street, which consists of twenty two
houses; on the south side stands the church. The soil
is chalky and poor, and the lands, which are arable, are
open and uninclosed. A fair is held here on WhitMonday, for pedlary, &c.
THIS PLACE, at the time of taking the survey of
Domesday, was part of the possessions of Odo, bishop
of Baieux, under the general title of whose lands it is
entered in it as follows:
Osbern (son of Letard) holds of the bishop Cilledene.
It was taxed at one suling and one yoke and ten acres.
The arable land is . . . . In demesne there is nothing
now, but nine villeins have there two carucates and an
half. In the time of king Edward the Consessor it was
worth sixty shillings, and afterwards thirty shillings, now
forty shillings. Godwin held it of king Edward, and
five other Thanes. Thomas Osbern put three of their
lands into one manor.
Four years after the taking of this survey, this estate,
on the bishop's disgrace and the consiscation of his
estates, came into the hands of the crown.
After which it came into the possession of a family,
who took their surname from it, and there is mention
made in deeds, which are as antient as the reign of king
Henry III. of John de Chillenden, Edward and William de Chillenden, who had an interest in this place;
after this name was become extinct here, the Bakers,
of Caldham, in Capel, near Folkestone, possessed it,
in whom this manor continued till king Henry VI.'s
reign, when it passed by sale to Hunt, whose descendants remained entitled to it for two or three descents,
when one of them alienated it to Gason, of Apulton, in
Ickham. (fn. 1) They bore for their arms, Azure, a fess cotized, ermine, between three goats heads, couped, argent;
which coat was granted anno 39 king Henry VIII. (fn. 1)
in which name it continued for some time, and till it
was at length sold to Hammond, of St. Alban's, in
Nonington, in whose descendants it has continued down
to William Hammond, esq. of St. Alban's, who is the
present owner of this manor.
This estate pays a quit rent to Adisham manor, of
which it is held. It has no manerial rights, and it is
much doubted, if it had ever any claim, beyond the reputation of a manor.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about sixteen, casually six.
THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, seems
antient, it is a mean building, very small, having a
square tower at the west end, in which there is only
one bell. It consists of a body, and one chancel. In
the windows are remains of very handsome painted
glass. There is a handsome zig-zag moulding, and
circular arch over the north door. There is likewise
a circular arch, but plainer than the other, over the
south door. It has nothing further worth mention
This church was part of the possessions of the priory
of Ledes, being given to it by William de Northwic,
about the latter end of king Henry II.'s reign; (fn. 2) but
the prior and convent never obtained the appropriation
of it, but contented themselves with a pension of eight
shillings yearly from it; in which state it continued
till the dissolution of the priory in the 31st year of king
Henry VIII's reign, when the advowson, together
with the above pension, came with the rest of the possession of the priory, into the hands of the crown, in
which the patronage of this church continues at this
time. But the annual pension of eight shillings was
soon afterwards settled by the king in his 33d year,
among other premises, on his new-founded dean and
chapter of Rochester, part of whose possessions it still
This rectory is valued in the king's books at five
pounds. It is now a discharged living, and is of about
the clear yearly value of twenty six pounds. In 1588
it was valued at forty pounds, communicants seventyseven. In 1640 it was valued at the same, communicants seventy.
There are three acres of glebe. The present incumbent has built a tolerable good parsonage-house on
the scite of the antient one. There is no land within
this parish exempt from the payment of tithe.
Church of Chillenden.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Queen.||John Culling, obt. 1710.|
|Thomas Bagnell, clerk, May 5,
1710. resigned 1725. (fn. 3) |
|Robert Skyring, A. M. 1721. (fn. 4) |
|Josiah Pomfret, A. M. Dec. 23,
1725, obt. Oct. 1775. (fn. 5) |
|Robert Pitman, Jan. 8, 1776,
the present rector. (fn. 6) |