Parishes
Eastry

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1800

Pages

98-121

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Eastry', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 10 (1800), pp. 98-121. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63616 Date accessed: 20 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EASTRY,

THE next parish north-eastward from Knolton is Eastry. At the time of taking the survey of Domesday, it was of such considerable account, that it not only gave name, as it does at present, to the hundred, but to the greatest part of the lath in which it stands, now called the lath of St. Augustine. There are two boroughs in this parish, viz. the borough of Hardenden, which is within the upper half hundred of Downhamford, and comprehends the districts of Hardenden, Selson and Skrinkling, and the borough of Eastry, the borsholder of which is chosen at Eastry-court, and comprehends all the rest of the parish, excepting so much of it as lies within that part of the borough of Felderland, which is within this parish.

THE PARISH OF EASTRY, a healthy and not unpleasant situation, is about two miles and an half from north to south, but it is much narrower the other way, at the broadest extent of which it is not more than a mile and an half. The village of Eastry is situated on a pleasing eminence, almost in the centre of the parish, exhiblting a picturesque appearance from many points of view. The principal street in it is called Eastrystreet; from it branch off Mill street, Church-street and Brook-street. In Mill street is a spacious handsome edisice lately erected there, as a house of industry, for the poor of the several united parishes of Eastry, Norborne, Betshanger, Tilmanstone, Waldershare, Coldred, Lydden, Shebbertswell, Swynfield, Wootton, Denton, Chillenden and Knolton. In Churchstreet, on the east side, stands the church, with the court-lodge and parsonage adjoining the church-yard; in this street is likewise the vicarage. In Brook-street, is a neat modern house, the residence of Wm. Boteler, esq. and another belonging to Mr. Thomas Rammell, who resides in it. Mention will be found hereafter, under the description of the borough of Hernden, in this parish, of the descent and arms of the Botelers resident there for many generations. Thomas Boteler, who died possessed of that estate in 1651, left three sons, the youngest of whom, Richard, was of Brook-street, and died in 1682; whose great-grandson, W. Boteler, esq. is now of Brook-street; a gentleman to whom the editor is much indebted for his communications and assistance, towards the description of this hundred, and its adjoining neighbourhood. He has been twice married; first to Sarah, daughter and coheir of Thomas Fuller, esq. of Statenborough, by whom he has one son, William Fuller, now a fellow of St. Peter's college, Cambridge: secondly, to Mary, eldest daughter of John Harvey, esq. of Sandwich and Hernden, late captain of the royal navy, by whom he has five sons and three daughters. He bears for his arms, Argent, on three escutcheons, sable, three covered cups, or; which coat was granted to his ancestor, Richard Boteler, esq. of Hernden, by Cooke, clar. in 1589. Mr. Boteler, of Eastry, is the last surviving male of the family, both of Hernden and Brook-street. Eastry-street, comprizing the neighbourhood of the above mentioned branches, may be said to contain about sixty-four houses.

At the south-east boundary of this parish lies the hamlet of Updown, adjoining to Ham and Betshanger, in the former of which parishes some account of it has been already given. At the southern bounds, adjoining to Tilmanstone, lies the hamlet of Westone, formerly called Wendestone. On the western side lies the borough of Hernden, which although in this parish, is yet within the hundred of Downhamford and manor of Adisham; in the southern part of it is Shrinkling, or Shingleton, as it is now called, and the hamlet of Hernden. At the northern part of this borough lie the hamlets and estates of Selson, Wells, and Gore. Towards the northern boundary of the parish, in the road to Sandwich, is the hamlet of Statenborough, and at a small distance from it is that part of the borough of Felderland, or Fenderland, as it is usually called, within this parish, in which, adjoining the road which branches off to Word, is a small seat, now the property and residence of Mrs. Dare, widow of Wm. Dare, esq. who resides in it. (fn. 1)

Round the village the lands are for a little distance, and on towards Statenborough, inclosed with hedges and trees, but the rest of the parish is in general an open uninclosed country of arable land, like the neighbouring ones before described; the soil of it towards the north is most fertile, in the other parts it is rather thin, being much inclined to chalk, except in the bottoms, where it is much of a stiff clay, for this parish is a continued inequality of hill and dale; notwithstanding the above, there is a great deal of good fertile land in the parish, which meets on an average rent at fifteen shillings an acre. There is no wood in it. The parish contains about two thousand six hundred and fifty acres; the yearly rents of it are assessed to the poor at 2679l.

At the south end of the village is a large pond, called Butsole; and adjoining to it on the east side, a field, belonging to Brook-street estate, called the Butts; from whence it is conjectured that Butts were formerly erected in it, for the practice of archery among the inhabitants.

A fair is held here for cattle, pedlary, and toys, on October the 2d, (formerly on St. Matthew's day, September the 21st) yearly.

IN 1792, MR. BOTELER, of Brook-street, discovered, on digging a cellar in the garden of a cottage, situated eastward of the highway leading from Eastrycross to Butsole, an antient burying ground, used as such in the latter time of the Roman empire in Britain, most probably by the inhabitants of this parish, and the places contiguous to it. He caused several graves to be opened, and found with the skeletons, fibulæ, beads, knives,umbones of shields, &c. and in one a glass vessel. From other skeletons, which have been dug up in the gardens nearer the cross, it is imagined, that they extended on the same side the road up to the cross, the ground of which is now pretty much covered with houses; the heaps of earth, or barrows, which formerly remained over them, have long since been levelled, by the great length of time and the labour of the husbandman; the graves were very thick, in rows parallel to each other, in a direction from east to west.

St. Ivo's well, mentioned by Nierembergius, in Historia de Miraculis Natureæ, lib. ii. cap. 33; which I noticed in my folio edition as not being able to find any tradition of in this parish, I have since found was at a place that formerly went by the name of Estre, and afterwards by that of Plassiz, near St. Ives, in Huntingdonshire. See Gales Scriptores, xv. vol. i. p.p. 271, 512.

This place gave birth to Henry de Eastry, who was first a monk, and then prior of Christ-church, in Canterbury; who, for his learning as well as his worthy acts, became an ornament, not only to the society he presided over, but to his country in general. He continued prior thirty-seven years, and died, far advanced in life, in 1222.

THIS PLACE, in the time of the Saxons, appears to have been part of the royal domains, accordingly Simon of Durham, monk and precentor of that church, in his history, stiles it villa regalis, quæ vulgari dicitur Easterige pronuncione, (the royal ville, or manor, which in the vulgar pronunciation was called Easterige), which shews the antient pre-eminence and rank of this place, for these villæ regales, or regiæ, as Bede calls them, of the Saxons, were usually placed upon or near the spot, where in former ages the Roman stations had been before; and its giving name both to the lath and hundred in which it is situated corroborates the superior consequence it was then held in. Egbert, king of Kent, was in possession of it about the year 670, at which time his two cousins, Ethelred and Ethelbright, sons of his father's elder brother Ermenfrid, who had been entrusted to his care by their uncle, the father of Egbert, were, as writers say, murdered in his palace here by his order, at the persuasion of one Thunnor, a slattering courtier, lest they should disturb him in the possession of the crown. After which Thunnor buried them in the king's hall here, under the cloth of estate, from whence, as antient tradition reports, their bodies were afterwards removed to a small chapel belonging to the palace, and buried there under the altar at the east end of it, and afterwards again with much pomp to the church of Ramsey abbey. To expiate the king's guilt, according to the custom of those times, he gave to Domneva, called also Ermenburga, their sister, a sufficient quantity of land in the isle of Thanet, on which she might found a monastery.

How long it continued among the royal domains, I have not found; but before the termination of the Saxon heptarchy, THE MANOR OF EASTRY was become part of the possessions of the see of Canterbury, and it remained so till the year 811, when archbishop Wilfred exchanged it with his convent of Christchurch for their manor of Bourne, since from the archbishop's possession of it called Bishopsbourne. After which, in the year 979 king Ægelred, usually called Ethelred, increased the church's estates here, by giving to it the lands of his inheritance in Estrea, (fn. 2) free from all secular service and siscal tribute, except the repelling of invasions and the repairing of bridges and castles, usually stiled the trinoda necessitas; (fn. 3) and in the possession of the prior and convent bove-mentioned, this manor continued at the taking of the survey of Domesday, being entered in it under the general title of Terra Monachorum Archiepi; that is, the land of the monks of the archbishop, as follows:

In the lath of Estrei in Estrei hundred, the archbishop himself holds Estrei. It was taxed at Seven sulings. The arable land is . . . . In demesne there are three carucates and seventy two villeins, with twenty-two borderers, having twenty-four carucates. There is one mill and a half of thirty shillings, and three salt pits of four shillings, and eighteen acres of meadow. Wood for the pannage of ten hogs.

After which, this manor continued in the possession of the priory, and in the 10th year of king Edward II. the prior obtained a grant of free-warren in all his demesne lands in it, among others; about which time it was valued at 65l. 3s. after which king Henry VI. in his 28th year, confirmed the above liberty, and granted to it a market, to be held at Eastry weekly on a Tuesday, and a fair yearly, on the day of St. Matthew the Apostle and Evangelist; in which state it continued till the dissolution of the priory in the 31st year of king Henry VIII. when it came in to the king's hands, where it did not remain long, for he settled it, among other premises, in the 33d year of his reign, on his new created dean and chapter of Canterbury, part of whose possessions it continues at this time. A court leet and court baron is held for this manor.

The manerial rights, profits of courts, royalties, &c. the dean and chapter retain in their own hands; but the demesne lands of the manor, with the courtlodge, which is a large antient mansion, situated adjoining to the church-yard, have been from time to time demised on a benesicial lease. The house is large, partly antient and partly modern, having at different times undergone great alterations. In the south wall are the letters T. A. N. in flint, in large capitals, being the initials of Thomas and Anne Nevinson. Mr. Isaac Bargrave, father of the present lessee, new fronted the house, and the latter in 1786 put the whole in complete repair, in doing which, he pulled down a considerable part of the antient building, consisting of stone walls of great strength and thickness, bringing to view some gothic arched door ways of stone, which proved the house to have been of such construction formerly, and to have been a very antient building. The chapel, mentioned before, is at the east end of the house. The east window, consisting of three compartments, is still visible, though the spaces are filled up, it having for many years been converted into a kitchen, and before the last alteration by Mr. Bargrave the whole of it was entire.

At this mansion, then in the hands of the prior and convent of Christ-church, archbishop Thomas Becket, after his stight from Northampton in the year 1164, concealed himself for eight days, and then, on Nov. 10, embarked at Sandwich for France. (fn. 4)

The present lessee is Isaac Bargrave, esq. who resides at the court-lodge, whose ancestors have been lessees of this estate for many years past.

THE NEVINSONS, as lessees, resided at the courtlodge of Eastry for many years. They were originally of Brigend, in Wetherell, in Cumberland. They bore for their arms, Argent, a chevron, between three eagles displayed, azure. Many of them lie buried in Eastry church. (fn. 5)

THE FAMILY of Bargrave, alias Bargar, was originally of Bridge, and afterwards of the adjoining parish of Patrixbourne; where John Bargrave, eldest son of Robert, built the seat of Bifrons, and resided at it, of whom notice has already been taken in vol. ix. of this history, p. 280. Isaac Bargrave, the sixth son of Robert above-mentioned, and younger brother of John, who built Bifrons, was ancestor of the Bargraves, of Eastry; he was S. T. P. and dean of Canterbury, a man of strict honour and high principles of loyalty, for which he suffered the most cruel treatment. He died in 1642, having married in 1618 Elizabeth, daughter of John Dering, esq. of Egerton, by Elizabeth, sister of Edward lord Wotton, the son of John Dering, esq. of Surrenden, by Margaret Brent. Their descendant, Isaac Bargrave, esq. now living, was an eminent solicitor in London, from which he has retired for some years, and now resides at Eastry-court, of which he is the present lessee. He married Sarah, eldest daughter of George Lynch, M. D. of Canterbury, who died at Herne in 1787, S.P. They bear for their arms, Or, on a pale gules, a sword, the blade argent, pomelled, or, on a chief vert three bezants.

SHRINKLING, alias SHINGLETON, the former of which is its original name, though now quite lost, is a small manor at the south-west boundary of this pa Kent, anno 1619. rish, adjoining to Nonington. It is within the borough of Heronden, or Hardonden, as it is now called, and as such, is within the upper half hundred of Downhamford. This manor had antiently owners of the same name; one of whom, Sir William de Scrinkling, held it in king Edward I.'s reign, and was succeeded by Sir Walter de Scrinkling his son, who held it by knight's service of Hamo de Crevequer, (fn. 6) and in this name it continued in the 20th year of king Edward III.

Soon after which it appears to have been alienated to William Langley, of Knolton, from which name it passed in like manner as Knolton to the Peytons and the Narboroughs, and thence by marriage to Sir Thomas D'Aeth, whose grandson Sir Narborough D'Aeth, bart. now of Knolton, is at present entitled to it.

There was a chapel belonging to this manor, the ruins of which are still visible in the wood near it, which was esteemed as a chapel of ease to the mother church of Eastry, and was appropriated with it by archbishop Richard, Becket's immediate successor, to the almory of the priory of Christ-church; but the chapel itself seems to have become desolate many years before the dissolution of the priory, most probably soon after the family of Shrinkling became extinct; the Langleys, who resided at the adjoining manor of Knolton, having no occasion for the use of it. The chapel stood in Shingleton wood, near the south east corner; the foundations of it have been traced, though level with the surface, and not easily discovered. There is now on this estate only one house, built within memory, before which there was only a solitary barn, and no remains of the antient mansion of it.

HERONDEN, alias HARDENDEN, now usually called HERONDEN, is a district in this parish, situated about a mile northward from Shingleton, within the borough of its own name, the whole of which is within the upper half hundred of Downhamford. It was once esteemed as a manor, though it has not had even the name of one for many years past, the manor of Adisham claiming over it. The mansion of it was antiently the residence of a family of the same name, who bore for their arms, Argent, a heron with one talon erect, gaping for breath, sable. These arms are on a shield, which is far from modern, in Maidstone church, being quarterly, Heronden as above, with sable, three escallop shells, two and one, argent; and in a window of Lincoln's Inn chapel is a coat of arms of a modern date, being that of Anthony Heronden, esq. Argent, a heron, azure, between three escallops, sable. One of this family of Heronden lies buried in this church, and in the time of Robert Glover, Somerset herald, his portrait and coat of arms, in brass, were remaining on his tombstone. The coat of arms is still extant in very old rolls and registers in the Heralds office, where the family is stiled Heronden, of Heronden, in Eastry; nor is the name less antient, as appears by deeds which commence from the reign of Henry III. which relate to this estate and name; but after this family had remained possessed of this estate for so many years it at last descended down in king Richard II.'s reign, to Sir William Heronden, from whom it passed most probably either by gift or sale, to one of the family of Boteler, or Butler, then resident in this neighbourhood, descended from those of this name, formerly seated at Butler's sleet, in Ash, whose ancestor Thomas Pincerna, or le Boteler, held that manor in king John's reign, whence his successors assumed the name of Butler, alias Boteler, or as they were frequently written Botiller, and bore for their arms, One or more covered cups, differently placed and blazoned. In this family the estate descended to John Boteler, who lived in the time of king Henry VI. and resided at Sandwich, of which town he was several times mayor, and one of the burgesses in two parliaments of that reign; he lies buried in St. Peter's church there. His son Richard, who was also of Sandwich, had a grant of arms in 1470, anno 11th Edward IV. by Thomas Holme, norroy, viz. Gyronny of six, argent and sable, a covered cup, or, between three talbots heads, erased and counterchanged of the field, collared, gules, garnished of the third. His great-grandson Henry Boteler rebuilt the mansion of Heronden, to which he removed in 1572, being the last of his family who resided at Sandwich. He had the above grant of arms confirmed to him, and died in 1580, being buried in Eastry church. Richard Boteler, of Heronden, his eldest son by his first wife, resided at this seat, and in 1589 obtained a grant from Robert Cook, clarencieux, of a new coat of arms, viz. Argent, on three escutcheons, sable, three convered cups, or. Ten years after which, intending as it should seem, to shew himself a descendant of the family of this name, seated at Graveney, but then extinct, he obtained in 1599 a grant of their arms from William Dethic, garter, and William Camden, clarencieux, to him and his brother William, viz. Quarterly, first and fourth, sable, three covered cups, or, within a bordure, argent; second and third, Argent, a fess, chequy, argent and gules, in chief three cross-croslets of the last, as appears (continues the grant) on a gravestone in Graveney church. He died in 1600, and was buried in Eastry church, leaving issue among other children Jonathan and Thomas. (fn. 7) Jonathan Boteler, the eldest son, of Hernden, died unmarried possessed of it in 1626, upon which it came to his next surviving brother Thomas Boteler, of Rowling, who upon that removed to Hernden, and soon afterwards alienated that part of it, since called THE MIDDLE FARM, to Mr. Henry Pannell, from whom soon afterwards, but how I know not, it came into the family of Reynolds; from which name it was about fifty years since alienated to John Dekewer, esq. of Hackney, who dying in 1762, devised it to his nephew John Dekewer, esq. of Hackney, the present possessor of it.

ANOTHER PART of this estate of Hernden, since known by the name of THE LOWER FARM, was afterwards sold by Thomas Boteler above-mentioned to Capell, from whom it passed into the family of Johnson, in which it continued till Mr. Edward Johnson alienated it to Daniel Kelly, gent. of the Upper Farm, in Heronden, who by his will in 1724 devised it to his second son Richard Kelly, since whose death it has come to his two sons Richard and William Kelly, who are the present possessors of it.

THE REMAINING PART of the Hernden of esate, on which The mansion of it was situated, since known by the name of HERNDEN, alias THE UPPER FARM, remained in the possession of Thomas Boteler above mentioned, at the time of his death in the year 1650, and was directed by his will to be sold for the benefit of his surviving wise and children, and accordingly in 1657 it was conveyed by them to John Kelly, yeoman, of Ash, whose grandson William Kelly, of Hernden, who bore for his arms, Argent, two lions rampant, combatant, gules, holding in their paws a castle in chief, vert, in 1766 pulled down the antient mansion of Hernden, and built the present handsome house on the scite of it, and in 1784 alienated it to John Harvey, esq. of Sandwich, then a captain of the royal navy, who occasionally resided at it; he died at Portsmouth on June 30, 1794, in consequence of the wounds he received in the glorious naval engagement with the French fleet, on the first of that month preceding; by his will he devised this estate to his wife Judith for life, remainder to his eldest son Henry Wife Harvey, esq. which latter now resides here. Capt. Harvey above-mentioned, (whose meritorious services to his country ought not to be passed by unnoticed) was born at Elmington, in the neighbouring parish of Eythorne, in 1740; his singular courage and attention to his duty marked his conduct throughout life, and never shone more conspicuous than in the memorable engagement of June I, above-mentioned, in which being commander of the Brunswick, of 74 guns, he as second to the commander in chief, gallantly supported him in the arduous enterprize of breaking the French line, and notwithstanding the enemy by the closeness of their position endeavoured to deseat the attempt, he intrepidly persevered, grappling with Le Vengeur, a ship evidently of superior force to his own, and bore her away from the line, never quitting her till she struck, which was but a short time before she went to the bottom. During this terible conslict, which lasted upwards of two hours and an half, in a situation almost unprecedented betwixt two ships of such force, he reduced to a wreck L'Achille, a seventy-four gun ship, which was come down to the assistance of Le Vengeur, by totally dismasting her; which individual conduct may truly be admitted to have contributed very materially to that victory, upon which the fate of his country in a great measure depended, and will ever render his memory dear to it. His remains were interred in a vault in Eastry church, on July 5, having been attended to the gates of Portsmouth by earl Howe and the principal officers of the fleet with much solemnity; (fn. 8) most of the principal inhabitants of the neighbouring town of Sandwich, in which he had for some time resided, and had served the office of mayor of it in 1774, appeared in mourning on the day of his interment, as a mark of their respect for his memory.

A seal gold ring, weighing nineteen penny weights, with this motto, Do not, for to repent, and the antient coat of arms granted, as before described, in king Henry IV.'s time to Richard Boteler, engraved on it, was found in the grounds in Hernden bottom, a few years since, and is now in the possession of William Boteler, esq. of Eastry.

STATENBOROUGH, written in the survey of Domesday, Estenburge, and in other antient records, Stepenberga, and long since Statenborough, is a seat on the northern consines of this parish, which was at the time of taking the above survey in the Conqueror's reign, part of the possessions of the see of Canterbury, being held of the archbishop by knight's service, under which title it is thus entered in it:

William Folet holds Estenberge of the archbishop, and it was taxed at half a suling, and there he has twelve villeins with one carucate and an half.

After which the record continues, that it was, with Buckland and Finglesham, valued in the time of king Edward the Consessor at forty shillings; when the archbishop received them, ten shillings, now thirty shillings.

How this estate passed afterwards I have not found, till about the beginning of king Henry III's reign, when it was become the estate of a family which took its surname from it, as appears by a dateless deed among the archives of St. Bartholomew's hospital, in Sandwich, in which lands are given to it, abutting to those of the heirs of Simon de Statenberg, at Statenberg; (fn. 9) when it passed from this name does not appear, but at the latter end of king Richard II.'s reign, I find a deed, which mentions William Cooke, of Stapynberge, and part of this estate is at this day called Cooksborough; but in the middle of king Henry V.'s reign, it was in the possession of a family called Atte Hall, who were succeeded in it by Wm. Bryan, gent. of Canterbury. How long it continued in this name I have not found; but in the second year of king Richard III anno 1484, it was become the property of John Kennett, gent. of Canterbury, whose son Thomas Kennet, clerk, of that place, in 1534, conveyed his interest in it to Christopher Hales, esq. the king's attorney-general, afterwards knighted, whose daughter and coheir Margaret carried it in marriage to Ralph Dodmore, gent. of Lincoln's Inn, and they jointly in 1757 alienated it to Saphire Paramor, yeoman, of Eastry, being descended of a family of good estimation in this part of Kent, having spread themselves into the different parishes of Ash, St. Nicholas, Monkton, and Minster, in the Isle o Thanet, Fordwich, and here at Eastry, all now extinct, of all of which there are pedigrees in the Heraldic Visitaticn of this county, anno 1619. They bore for their arms, Azure, a fess embattled, between three estoils of six points, or. He died in 1591. After which it continued in the same name and family down to John Paramor, esq. of Statenborough, who died s.p. in 1750; after which it descended by his will, on the death of Mrs Paramor, his widow, to his three nieces and coheirs; that is, one moiety to Jane, wife of John Hawker, gent. of Sandwich, only daughter of John Hayward, gent. of Sandwich, by Jane, his sister then deceased; the other undivided moiety to Jane, wife of W. Boys, esq. then of Sandwich, and Sarah, afterwards the wise of William Boteler, esq of Eastry, the two surviving daughters and coheirs of his other sister Mary, wise of Thomas Fuller, esq. of Sandwich, before-mentioned.

On a division of their estates in 1761, this estate was allotted to these two surviving daughters and co heirs last-mentioned; and on a future subdivision between them in 1774, this of Statenborough, with Gore, in this parish likewise, formed a part of that share, which was allotted to Jane, since deceased, whose husband William Boys, esq. late of Sandwich, is the present possessor of it. Mr. Boys is descended from the eminent family of this name, spread over the several parts of East Kent, but whose principal seat was at Fredville, in Nonington. William Boys, esq. was of Fredville, in king Henry VIII.'s reign, whose fourth son, by Mary, sister and heir of Sir Edward Ringeley, was of Bekesborne, and left among other children, Edward, ancestor of the Boys's, of Betshanger; and John, who was the second son, of Challock, from whom descended in the fisth descent, William Boys, esq. of Deal, who was a commodore in the royal navy, and afterwards lieutenant-governor of Greenwich hospital, whose eldest son was William Boys, esq. above-mentioned, the present possessor of Statenborough, author of the Collections for Sandwich as above-mentioned, and F. S. A. a gentleman well known in the Republic of Letters, to whom the Editor of this History acknowledges his obligations for his continued assistance in it. He was an eminent surgeon of that town, from whence he removed to Walmer, where he now resides. He married first Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Wise, merchant, of Sandwich, by whom he had one son William-Henry Boys, gent. lieutenant and adjutant of the Portsmouth division of marines, who married Elizabeth, daughter of John Harvey, esq. of Sandwich and Hernden, late captain of the royal navy; and one daughter Elizabeth, married to John Rolfe, gent. of New Romney, lately deceased; he married secondly Jane, daughter of Thomas Fuller, esq. of Statenborough, and coheir of her uncle John Paramor, esq. of that place, by whom he had nine children, of whom eight are surviving, viz. Thomas, of Sandwich, a lieutenant in the royal navy, who married Catherine Impett, of Ashford; John-Paramor, gent. of Sandwich; Jane; Mary Fuller; Edward, surgeon, of Sandwich; Henry; Robert-Pearson, and George. He bears for his arms, Or, a griffin segreant, sable, within a bordure, gules; being the coat armour of the principal branch of this family, of Fredville.

The manors of North and South Court, and of Dane-court, in Tilmanstone, claim over this hamlet of Statenborough.

Charities

THOMAS ELWARE, of this parish, by his will in 1499, gave to Roger Frynne, his executor, his tenement in Selveston, in this parish, with its lands and appurtenances, upon condition that he and his heirs should pay yearly to the churchwardens, to the reparation of the church yearly, iijs. iiijd.

CHRISTIAN GODDARD, of this parish, widow, gave by will in 1574, a tenement and garden in Eastry, over against the vicarage-house, for the use of the poor for ever, now of the annual value of 2l. 10s. and a tenement and garden in Eastry to the clerk, to instruct in learning, one of the poorest man's children, being a boy, of this parish, from time to time, both which are vested in the churchwardens.

THOMAS APPLETON, yeoman, of Eastry, by his will in 1593, gave to the relief of the poor 5l. to be paid to the churchwardens yearly, and to be distributed by them fourteen days before Christmas day, to be paid out of lands called Hardiles, in Woodnesborough.

KATHERINE BOTELER, widow, of Eastry, by her will in 1617, gave to the churchwardens 30s. to remain in a stock for the use of the parish; and to the poor people there the like sum.

RICHARD THOMPSON, by will in 1673, ordered that twentyfour poor people should receive at Christmas, Easter, and Whitsuntide, a twopenny loaf; secured on a house and garden in Eastry, the annual produce of which is 12s.

ANNE FREIND, spinster, of Eastry, by will in 1715, gave to the poor 5l. and to the overseers of the poor and their successors, three acres and one rood of arable land, at or near a place called Dedmans gapp, in Eastry, holden of the dean and chapter of Canterbury; the overseers to renew the lease from time to time; in trust, that the yearly rents and profits should be equally distributed on Christmas day yearly, in the chancel of the church, among such industrious poor as should not receive alms; such letting of the land and distribution to be at the discretion of the heirs of Charles Bargrave, if living in Eastry; and for want of that, to the discretion of the overseers and their successors.

The poor constantly relieved are about thirty, casually seventy-five.

THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of Sandwich.

The church, which is exempted from the archdeacon, is dedicated to St. Mary; it is a large handsome building, consisting of a nave and two side isles, a chancel at the east end, remarkably long, and a square tower, which is very large, at the west end, in which are five very unmusical bells. The church is well kept and neatly paved, and exhibits a noble appearance, to which the many handsome monuments in it contribute much. The arch over the west door is circular, but no other parts of the church has any shew of great antiquity. In the chancel are monuments for the Paramors and the Fullers, of Statenborough, arms of the latter, Argent, three bars, and a canton, gules. A monument for several of the Bargrave family. An elegant pyramidial one, on which is a bust and emblematical sculpture for John Broadley, gent. many years surgeon at Dover, obt. 1784. Several gravestones, with brasses, for the Nevinsons. A gravestone for Joshua Paramour, gent. buried 1650. Underneath this chancel are two vaults, for the families of Paramour and Bargrave. In the nave, a monument for Anne, daughter of Solomon Harvey, gent. of this parish, ob. 1751; arms, Argent, on a chevron, between three lions gambs, sable, armed gules, three crescents, or; another for William Dare, esq. late of Fenderland, in this parish, obt. 1770; arms, Gules, a chevron vaire, between three crescents, argent, impaling argent, on a cross, sable, four lions passant, quardant of the field, for Read.—Against the wall an inscription in Latin, for the Drue Astley Cressemer, A. M. forty-eight years vicar of this parish, obt. 1746; he presented the communion plate to this church and Worth, and left a sum of money to be laid out in ornamenting this church, at which time the antient stalls, which were in the chancel, were taken away, and the chancel was ceiled, and the church otherwise beautified; arms, Argent, on a bend engrailed, sable, three cross-croslets, fitchee, or. A monument for several of the Botelers, of this parish; arms, Boteler, argent, on three escutcheons, sable, three covered cups, or, impaling Morrice. Against a pillar, a tablet and inscription, shewing that in a vault lieth Catherine, wife of John Springett, citizen and apothecary of London. He died in 1770; arms, Springett, per fess, argent and gules, a fess wavy, between three crescents, counterchanged, impaling Harvey. On the opposite pillar another, for the Rev. Richard Harvey, fourteen years vicar of this parish, obt. 1772. A monument for Richard Kelly, of Eastry, obt. 1768; arms, Two lions rampant, supporting a castle. Against the wall, an elegant sculptured monument, in alto relievo, for Sarah, wise of William Boteler, a daughter of Thomas Fuller, esq. late of Statenborough, obt. 1777, æt. 29; she died in childbed, leaving one son, William Fuller Boteler; arms at bottom, Boteler, as above, an escutcheon of pretence, Fuller, quartering Paramor. An elegant pyramidal marble and tablet for Robert Bargrave, of this parish, obt. 1779, for Elizabeth his wife, daughter of Sir Francis Leigh, of Hawley; and for Robert Bargrave, their only son, proctor in Doctors Commons, obt. 1774, whose sole surviving daughter Rebecca married James Wyborne, of Sholdon; arms, Bargrave, with a mullet, impaling Leigh. In the cross isle, near the chancel called the Boteler's isle, are several memorials for the Botelers. Adjoining to these, are three other gravestones, all of which have been inlaid, but the brasses are gone; they were for the same family, and on one of them was lately remaining the antient arms of Boteler, Girony of six pieces, &c. impaling ermine of three spots. Under the church are vaults, for the families of Springett, Harvey, Dare, and Bargrave. In the church-yard, on the north side of the church, are several altar tombs for the Paramors; and on the south side are several others for the Harveys, of this parish, and for Fawlkner, Rammell, and Fuller. There are also vaults for the families of Fuller, Rammell, and Petman.

There were formerly painted in the windows of this church, these arms, Girony of six, sable and argent, a covered cup, or, between three talbots heads, erased and counter changed of the field, collared, gules; for Boteler, of Heronden, impaling Boteler, of Graveny, Sable, three covered cups, or, within a bordure, argent; Boteler, of Heronden, as above, quartering three spots, ermine; the coat of Theobald, with quarterings. Several of the Frynnes, or as they were afterwards called, Friends, who lived at Waltham in this parish in king Henry VII.'s reign, lie buried in this church.

In the will of William Andrewe, of this parish, anno 1507, mention is made of our Ladie chapel, in the church-yard of the church of Estrie.

The eighteen stalls which were till lately in the chancel of the church, were for the use of the monks of the priory of Christ church, owners both of the manor and appropriation, when they came to pass any time at this place, as they frequently did, as well for a country retirement as to manage their concerns here; and for any other ecclesiastics, who might be present at divine service here, all such, in those times, sitting in the chancels of churches distinct from the laity.

The church of Eastry, with the chapels of Skrinkling and Worth annexed, was antiently appendant to the manor of Eastry, and was appropriated by archbishop Richard (successor to archbishop Becket) in the reign of king Henry II. to the almonry of the priory of Christ-church, but it did not continue long so, for archbishop Baldwin, (archbishop Richard's immediate successor), having quarrelled with the monks, on account of his intended college at Hackington, took this appropriation from them, and thus it remained as a rectory, at the archbishop's disposal, till the 39th year of king Edward III.'s reign, (fn. 10) when archbishop Simon Islip, with the king's licence, restored, united and annexed it again to the priory; but it appears, that in return for this grant, the archbishop had made over to him, by way of exchange, the advowsons of the churches of St. Dunstan, St. Pancrase, and All Saints in Bread-street, in London, all three belonging to the priory. After which, that is anno 8 Richard II. 1384, this church was valued among the revenues of the almonry of Christ-church, at the yearly value of 53l. 6s. 8d. and it continued afterwards in the same state in the possession of the monks, who managed it for the use of the almonry, during which time prior William Sellyng, who came to that office in Edward IV.'s reign, among other improvements on several estates belonging to his church, built a new dormitory at this parsonage for the monks resorting hither.

On the dissolution of the priory of Christ-church, in the 31st year of king Henry VIII.'s reign, this appropriation, with the advowson of the vicarage of the church of Eastry, was surrendered into the king's hands, where it staid but a small time, for he granted it in his 33d year, by his dotation charter, to his new founded dean and chapter of Canterbury, who are the present owners of this appropriation; but the advowson of the vicarage, notwithstanding it was granted with the appropriation, to the dean and chapter as above-mentioned, appears not long afterwards to have become parcel of the possessions of the see of Canterbury, where it continues at this time, his grace the archbishop being the present patron of it.

This parsonage is entitled to the great tithes of this parish and of Worth; there belong to it of glebe land in Eastry, Tilmanstone, and Worth, in all sixtynine acres.

THERE IS A SMALL MANOR belonging to it, called THE MANOR OF THE AMBRY, OR ALMONRY OF CHRIST-CHURCH, the quit-rents of which are very inconsiderable.

The parsonage-house is large and antient; in the old parlour window is a shield of arms, being those of Partheriche, impaling quarterly Line and Hamerton. The parsonage is of the annual rent of about 700l. The countess dowager of Guildford became entitled to the lease of this parsonage, by the will of her husband the earl of Guildford, and since her death the interest of it is become vested in her younger children.

As to the origin of a vicarage in this church, though there was one endowed in it by archbishop Peckham, in the 20th year of king Edward I. anno 1291, whilst this church continued in the archbishop's hands, yet I do not find that there was a vicar instituted in it, but that it remained as a rectory, till near three years after it had been restored to the priory of Christchurch, when, in the 42d year of king Edward III. a vicar was instituted in it, between whom and the prior and chapter of Canterbury, there was a composition concerning his portion, which he should have as an endowment of this vicarage; which composition was confirmed by archbishop Simon Langham that year; and next year there was an agreement entered into between the eleemosinary of Christ-church and the vicar, concerning the manse of this vicarage.

The vicarage of Eastry, with the chapel of Worth annexed, is valued in the king's books at 19l. 12s. 1d. and the yearly tenths at 1l. 19s. 2½d. In 1588 it was valued at sixty pounds. Communicants three hundred and thirty-five. In 1640 here were the like number of communicants, and it was valued at one hundred pounds.

The antient pension of 5l. 6s. 8d. formerly paid by the priory, is still paid to the vicar by the dean and chapter, and also an augmentation of 14l. 13s. 4d. yearly, by the lessee of the parsonage, by a convenant in his lease.

The vicarage-house is built close to the farm-yard of the parsonage; the land allotted to it is very trifling, not even sufficient for a tolerable garden; the foundations of the house are antient, and probably part of the original building when the vicarage was endowed in 1367.

There were two awards made in 1549 and 1550, on a controversy between the vicar of Eastry and the mayor, &c. of Sandwich, whether the scite of St. Bartholomew's hospital, near Sandwich, within that port and liberty, was subject to the payment of tithes to the vicar, as being within his parish. Both awards adjudged the legality of a payment, as due to the vicar; but the former award adjudged that the scite of the hospital was not, and the latter, that it was within the bounds of this parish. (fn. 12)

Church of Eastry.

PATRONSVICARS.
Or by whom presented,
The Archbishop.John Whiston, 1671, obt. 1694.
The King, sede vac.Thomas Sherlock, A. M. inducted Feb. 1695, obt. June 1698.
The Archbishop.Drue Astley Cressener, A. M. 1698, obt. Sept. 27, 1746. (fn. 13)
Culpeper Savage, A. M. Jan. 1747, obt. 1753. (fn. 14)
Samuel Herring, 1753, resigned 1757. (fn. 15)
Richard Harvey, A. B. July, 1757, obt. March 6, 1772. (fn. 16)
Richard Harvey, A. M. March 27, 1772, the present vicar. (fn. 17)

Footnotes

1 See more of this borough and seat under Word, in which the principal part of this borough is situated.
2 See Decem. Scriptores, col. 2221.
3 This charter was engraved by Dr. Rawlinson in 1754, from a copy of it in Saxon and Latin, in a very antient MSS. of the Gospels, in the library of St. John's college, in Oxford.
4 See Lord Littleton's History of king Henry II.
5 There is a pedigree of this family in the Heraldic Vistn. of
6 Chartularie of Knolton manor, and book of knight's fees in the Exchequer.
7 There is a pedigree of Butler, alias Boteler, of Heronden, in the Heraldic Visitation of Kent, anno 1619.
8 See an account of the descent of Capt. Harvey, his marriage and issue, before, under Barson; and of his preserments in the navy, in Gen. Mag. p. 673, and p. 954, for 1794.
9 Boys's Coll. for Sandwich, pt. 1, appendix, p. 25.
10 During the time of this rectory continuing in the archbishop's disposal, there were several compositions for tithes, entered into by the rectors, viz. anno 1229. Ledger book of Dover priory, f. 164.b MSS. Lambeth, anno 1291, Chartul. Ecclæ Christi. Cant. cart. 174, anno 1346, Reg. Berthona, p. 3, 1, f. 42, to f. 79. MSS. Cantuar. anno 1302. Chartula Eccla Christi Cant. cart. 183, anno 1356. Carta Antiq. E. 129, Archiv. Cantuar. anno 1439, 18 Henry VI. Cartæ Antig. E. 133. Archiev. Cantuar. See Ducarel's Repert. p. 39.
11 Regist. Langham, f. 129. MSS. Lambeth. Regist. Berthona, ps. 1. f. 39.a and Chartæ Antiquæ E. 56. MSS. Cantuar.
12 See Boys's Sandwich, p. 59 et seq.
13 He was a good benefactor to this church, in which he lies buried.
14 He was before vicar of Sutton Valence, which he resigned on being collated to this vicarage, which he held by dispensation, with the vicarage of Stone, in Oxney.
15 He exchanged this vicarage with his successor, for other preserments.
16 He lies buried in this church.
17 He was like wise vicar of St. Laurence in Thanet, which he resigned in 1793. He is also one of the six preachers of Canterbury cathedral.