Editorial note

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Mary D. Lobel (editor)

Year published

1964

Supporting documents

Page

15

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Editorial note', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 8: Lewknor and Pyrton hundreds (1964), pp. XV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63809 Date accessed: 23 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

EDITORIAL NOTE

This volume, the seventh to appear in the Oxfordshire set of the Victoria Histories, is a further outcome of the partnership between the Oxfordshire Victoria County History Committee and the University of London. The local committee, under the chairmanship of Sir Charles Ponsonby, has been responsible for the preparation of the text, and the University of London for the final editing and publication. To the local committee, whose members are named below, the thanks of the University are due for their valuable subsidies. Gratitude must also be expressed to many private subscribers whose names are also printed here.

Work on this volume has been going on since 1950; it was finally written and edited between April 1959 and March 1961. Much is owed to the kindness of the governing bodies of several Oxford Colleges, in particular All Souls and Magdalen, of whose records extensive use has been made, the incumbents of the Oxfordshire parishes included in this volume, the Librarian and staff of the Bodleian Library, the Oxfordshire County Archivist and his assistant, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, the Archivist of the Lincolnshire Record Office, and the Dean and Chapter of Windsor and their archivist. In addition, many private owners, notably Major the Hon. S. Stonor (who gave every facility), likewise allowed the use of documents in their care or lent them to the local committee. Footnotes throughout the volume testify to their considerateness.

Particular mention must also be made of the services of Dr. W. O. Hassall who prepared preliminary drafts of eleven parish histories and made available lecture notes and other material. Valuable help was given by Mr. H. M. Colvin in architectural matters, and by Mr. P. S. Spokes on heraldry and photography. In the collection of material much public-spirited help was given by Mrs. H. M. Colvin, Miss Sheila Green, Miss Kathleen Moore, Miss Katharine Price, Miss Ethel Savill, Miss Mary Savill, Mrs. Arthur Selwyn, and especially by Miss Frances Riddell Blount and Mrs. Mary Heron.