This volume of the Victoria History of Essex is the seventh to be published under
the co-operative system described in the editorial note to volume IV. Essex County
Council, and the councils of the London Boroughs of Barking, Havering, Newham,
Redbridge, and Waltham Forest have continued and have substantially increased
their grants. The Essex Victoria County History Committee, formed mainly of
representatives of the Local Authorities, has continued to survey the progress of
the work under the chairmanship of Sir William Addison. Mr. William H. Liddell
has continued as Honorary Secretary, Mr. Geoffrey J. Clements as Honorary
Treasurer, and Mr. Kenneth H. Sleat as Honorary Assistant Secretary. The
University of London expresses its thanks to them, to the other officers and
members of the committee, and to the participating Local Authorities for their
generous grants. During the preparation of the present volume assistant editorships
were held by Miss Vanessa A. Harding (1977–9) and by Mrs. Beryl A. Board and
Mrs. Norma Knight (both from 1979). Mrs. Wendy Stubbings, editorial assistant
(1977–81) was succeeded by Mrs. Shirley Durgan, who was promoted research
officer in 1982. At an earlier stage of the volume some editorial assistance was given
by Mr. J. Howson.
The structure and aims of the Victoria History as a whole are outlined in the
General Introduction to the History (1970). As in volumes IV-VII the brief
descriptions of the earlier parochial registers of each parish, commonly included
in the topographical volumes of the History, have not been considered necessary,
because of the publication by the County Council of Essex Parish Records,
1240–1894 (1950; revised edn. 1966).
The compilers have again received help from many persons, whose kindness is
acknowledged in the footnotes of the volume and in the lists of plates and of maps.
Especial thanks are due to Mr. J. McCann, Mr. K. G. Farries, and Mr. J. R.
Hayston for providing information or commenting on drafts, and to Thurrock
Historical Society for providing a set of Panorama. Much assistance has also
been received from Brentwood District Council, the Charity Commission, the
Church Commissioners, Epping Forest District Council (Housing and Planning
departments), Essex County Council (Education, Highways, and Planning departments), Grays Central Library, the Greater London Record Office, Harlow
Development Corporation, Harlow District Council, Harlow Museum, and
Thurrock Museum. As with previous volumes valuable services of many kinds
have been rendered by the Essex Record Office. The Department of the Environment has continued to allow the use of its unpublished lists of buildings of
architectural or historical interest.