Harlow lies 37 km. north-east of London, on
the south bank of the river Stort, which forms the
border of Essex with Hertfordshire. (fn. 1) The ancient
parish, which included a small town, comprised
4,015 a. (1,625 ha.). (fn. 2) It was bounded north by
Sheering, east by Matching, High Laver, and
Magdalen Laver, south by North Weald Bassett,
and west by Latton. A detached part of the
parish, containing 7½ a. (3 ha.), lay in Latton, to
which it had been transferred by 1897. (fn. 3) In 1947
Harlow was designated as the site of a new
town. (fn. 4) In 1949 the southern spur of Harlow
parish was transferred to North Weald Bassett,
and most of Latton parish was added to Harlow. (fn. 5)
In 1955 a new parish and urban district of Harlow
was formed from parts of Harlow, Netteswell,
Epping Upland, Great Parndon, and Roydon. (fn. 6)
The remainder of Harlow was divided between
Sheering, Matching, and North Weald Bassett. (fn. 7)
The main article, below, deals with the ancient
parish up to 1947, and with its manors, places of
worship, older buildings, and charities up to
1978. That is followed by an account of Harlow
town since 1947.
||O.S. Map 6, Essex, XLI, L (1881 edn.); O.S. Map
1/25,000, TL 40, 41, 50, 51 (1958 edn.). This article was
completed in 1978.
||O.S. Map 6, Essex, XLI (1881 edn.); ibid. 1/2,500,
Essex, XLI. 6 (1897 edn.). For its possible origin see below,
||Co. of Essex (Alteration of Rural Parishes) Conf. Order,
no. 2, 1949.
||Essex Conf. Order, 1955; Census, 1961.
||Essex Conf. Order, 1955.