[f. 84] In the parish of Paternoster Chirch
434. Grant of William the Chamberlain (Camerarius) to Ralph le Justice of
42s. p.a. of quit rent as dowry (in librum maritagium) on the occasion of the
marriage of Denise his daughter, from several tenements on condition that
if he did not have legitimate heirs then the prior and convent of Holy
Trinity should receive the 42s. as appears in Charter Seventeen (fn. 1) of several
435. Note: that Ralph le Justice confirmed to Richard prior and convent
6s. 8d. p.a. from the house of Peter de Trie because he did not have legitimate heirs, as appears in Charter Eighteen (fn. 2) of several parishes.
436. [List of those paying rent]: Peter de Trie; Jeremiah de Trie; Robert de
Suthfolk, 4 Ed. I who granted the tenement to Walter de Forda [See also
after 437] as appears by the following charter.
437. [1275–6] Grant by Robert de Suthfolk, citizen of London, to Walter de
Forda, citizen, and Christine his wife of all the tenement which he had of the
lease of Jeremiah de Trie in a lane called les Arches in the parish of St.
Michael de Paternosterchirch; abutments, the wall of the seld called
Wynchestreselde on the east and the said lane on the west and the tenement
of the grantor on the south and that of Reginald de Samewelle on the north
and containing in breadth along the lane 19¾ ells and in the middle 17½ ells
2 ins. and in length on the north 13 ells and on the south 153/8 ells; all
conveyed except a room on the outside (camera forinseca) with a solar built
over it between the wall of the grantor's tenement and the house of Walter;
to Walter and his wife and to whomsoever they wish to sell, bequeath,
mortgage; rent to the grantor and his heirs 1 silver penny on 24 June and to
the chief lords of the fee service viz. to Holy Trinity ½ mark, to St. Mary's
Suthwerk 4s., to St. Bartholomew de Smethfeld, 3s. 4d., to the nuns of
Kelebourne 3s. 4d. and to lady Joan de Sancto Benedicto, a nun of Kelebourne 2s.; gersuma £20; [f. 84v] sealed; witnesses, Gregory de Rokesle,
mayor and alderman of this ward, (fn. 3) John Horn, Ralph Blund, sheriffs.
C.A.D., iv, A 7823.
436 contd. Richard de Wihal, 1 Ed. II; John de Fridaiestrete, 5 Ed. II;
Henry le Palmer, 19 Ed. II [See also after 438] as appears by the following
438. Common plea held in the Husting, Mon. 15 Nov. 1339.
Henry le Palmer summoned to reply to the prior of Holy Trinity that he
should do right service for his free tenement which he holds of him; the
prior says that Henry holds a messuage of him at a rent of 6s. 8d. p.a. of
which rent Roger Poley, later prior, was seised and that the rent was £4 in
arrears on the day of the suing out of the writ, 12 Mar. 1338; he seeks the
messuage as gavelet and Henry came and recognised that he held of the
prior and his church and acknowledged the arrears; the prior recovers the
messuage for a year and a day unless in the meantime Henry satisfies him
as to the arrears; Henry in mercy and he came into full court and paid the
436 contd. Matthew Palmer, 30 Ed. III; Roger Torold, 36 Ed. III; Robert
Fanner, 48 Ed. III; Agnes atte Hale, 8 Ric. II; William Norton, 8 Hy. IV
and 7 Hy. V and the tenement is situated on the east side of Bowelane.
439. Note: William the Chamberlain (Camerarius) gave to Holy Trinity 8s.
p.a. of quit rent from the house of Nicholas Dokett in the parish as appears
in Charter Seventeen (fn. 4) of several parishes.
440. [List of those paying quit rent]: Nicholas Dokett; Reyner de Bungey;
Hugh de Donyngton; [f. 85] Walter Waldesshef, 1 Ed. II and 6 Ed. III;
Richard Lac(er), 30 Ed. III, who had two daughters Alice and Katherine,
Alice was married to Robert Mar[n]i and Katherine to John atte Pole,
between whom all the possessions of their deceased father were divided and
then there was assigned to Katherine the whole tenement and she paid 8s.
p.a. [See also after 441] as appears by the following indenture.
441. [French] Indenture made at London, Sat. 18 Oct. 1365, between
Robert Marny, kt., and Alice his wife, daughter and one of the heirs of
Richard Lacer senior, her father, late citizen, and sister and heir of Richard
Lacer junior, Robert de Bourton, formerly guardian of the chantry of the
church of Leyre Marny, John Mareys of Salcote Virly, chaplain, and Philip
atte Brygge of the one part and Katherine, who was the wife of John atte
Pole of Shordich, the other daughter and heir of Richard Lacer senior and
sister and heir of Richard Lacer junior, of the other part, witnesseth that,
since Katherine sued out a writ in the Husting against Robert and Alice to
secure a sharing out of all the tenements held by the late Richard and his
father upon the which writ it was awarded that the partition should take
place according to the laws and usages of the City, on the day abovewritten there being assembled Adam de Bury, mayor, William de Halden,
recorder, John de Brikelesworth and Thomas de Irland, sheriffs, Thomas
Spigurnel and John de Romeseye etc. an agreement was made between
Robert and Alice and Robert de Bourton, John Marreys and Philip who
claimed an estate in the aforesaid tenements which should have belonged to
Alice of her purparty by enfeoffment made to them by Alice before her marriage and Katherine in the following manner: declaration that Robert, John
and Philip have for their purparty all the tenements between the church of
St. Michael Paternosterchirch and Bowelane on the south side and the tenement held by Domengo de Espayne on the north and between the highway
called le Reole on the west and Walbrok and a long stable of Domengo's
tenement on the east together with the stone walls etc. belonging to the
tenement and with access to light for the four windows in the said tenements on the north side, one window in the wall of the room, another in the
wall of the solar at the end of the said room, one in the wall of the kitchen
and the fourth in the stone wall of a cellar, in length and breadth as they are
at present, with the gutters and other water courses descending from the
same tenements already built or to be built in the future and that Katherine
has for her purparty all the tenements held by Domengo with the stable and
one solar over it extending to the north 13½ ells in length and in breadth on
the west 7¼ ells and on the east 71/8 ells which tenements extend [f. 85v] along
Walbrok and adjoin the tenements of Nicholas Bremble on the east and
along the king's highway called la Roial on the west and between the aforementioned tenements assigned to the other purparty on the south and the
tenement of Nicholas Bremble on the north with the gutters and water
courses descending from the roof of the said solar on the south side towards
the said stable; and it was agreed between the two parties that respecting
the payment of 11 marks devised in the testament (fn. 5) of Walter Waldeschef
the purparty of the first party should be charged at 7 marks a year and the
purparty of Katherine at 4 marks a year plus 29s. to the prior and convent
of Seinte Maire Overee de Suthwerk and 8s. to Cristeschirche; also agreed
that each of the parties shall pay these rents according to their portion and
acquit the other of that portion of the rent assessed on their purparty and if
any part of the rent be levied on the wrong purparty then either party shall
have the right within a fortnight to distrain on the purparty of the other and
take a sum equivalent to the sum that has been unjustly levied by the other
party, if other charges are determined in the future, they shall be equally
apportioned; each party shall hold themselves and their heirs and assigns
to perform these covenants; sealed by the parties.
C.A.D., ii, A 2387.
440 contd. Katherine Pole, 3 Ric. II as appears by Acquittance Five (fn. 6) of
several parishes; Drugo Barentyne, 8 Hy. IV; Richard Broun, baker, 9 Hy.
IV who granted the tenement to the church of St. Michael and the tenement
is situated on the east side of le Roial between the church of St. Michael
recently (de novo) founded on the south and the tenement of Richard
Whytyngton on the north.
442. [f. 86] [1218–19] Grant of Agnes daughter of Robert the Chamberlain
to William her brother of 6s. 8d. p.a. of quit rent from land and a house;
abutments, the land that was of Nicholas Duket on the south and land that
was of Peter the clerk on the north; gersuma 4 marks; witnesses, Serlo the
Mercer, mayor, John Viell, Joce, sheriffs, Thomas de Haverhill, Martin son
of Alic', aldermen, Constantine son of Alulf.
443. [1218–19] Quitclaim of Robert de Bedford and Alexander his brother,
sons of Agnes, to their uncle of property mentioned in 442; William Chamberlain gave ½ mark to each of them; witnesses, Serlo le Mercer, John Viell,
Joce, T. de Haverhill, Constantine son of Alulf, Arnulf his brother.
444. Note: William the Chamberlain granted to Ralph le Justice 6s. 8d. p.a.
of quit rent as dowry on the occasion of the marriage of Denise his daughter
on condition that if he did not have legitimate heirs then the prior and
convent of Holy Trinity should receive the 6s. 8d. as appears in Charter
Seventeen of several parishes. [See 434].
445. Note: Ralph le Justice confirmed to the prior and convent 6s. 8d. of
quit rent from the house of the countess of Oxford and because his wife and
son were dead, the house had all, as appears in Charter Eighteen (fn. 7) of several
446. [List of those paying quit rent]: Countess of Oxford; Peter de Gysors
who granted the tenement to Richard de Wylehale [See also after 447] as
appears by the following charter.
447. [1266–8] Grant of Peter de Gysorco, citizen, to Richard de Wylehale
as dowry on the occasion of his marriage with Joan the grantor's daughter
of all that tenement in the parish of St. Michael; abutments, the grantor's
tenement formerly held by Nicholas Duket on the south and his other
tenement formerly held by Alan le Weyder on the north and above the highway on the west and Walbroke on the east; and 20s. of quit rent from the
houses [f. 86v] which were once of William de Staundon in the parish of St.
Michael Candelwystrate; 7s. of quit rent from land and houses once of the
late Robert de Lenn in the parish of St. Andrew Estchep; all the grantor's
houses with a garden and quay and meadow in Southwark and the marshes;
2 acres of meadow which lies in le Hale in the town of Stanes between the
meadow of John de Laston and that of John the Reeve of Laleham; to hold
to Richard and Joan and their heirs born of Joan; annual rents, to the
king's socage 4d., to St. Bartholomew's hospital 20s., to Holy Trinity
6s. 8d., to the earl of Oxford 6d. or a pair of gilt spurs at Easter, for the
said 20s. and for an old quit rent, to the nuns of Clerkenwell 8s., to the heir
of John Norman 6d., for the 7s. of annual quit rent to the chief lord of
the fee 1d. in the middle of Quadragesima, for the houses and garden in the
town of Suthwerch and for the 2 acres in Stanes, to the chief lords of the
fee, 2 clove-gillyflowers on 25 Mar.; sealed; witnesses, John Adrian, Luke
de Batancort, sheriffs, John de Gisors, alderman of this ward, Reginald de
Suffouk, Philip le Tailour, Henry le Waleis.
Margin: Hec Carta sigillatur cum cera viridi in pressa signo cuiusdam capitis
habita in custodia executorum Ricardi Whytyndon.
446 contd. Richard Wyrehall who bequeathed the tenement to his son
Richard as appears in his will (fn. 8) enrolled 14 Oct. 1331; John Talbot, 13 Ed.
III; John Stodey, 30 Ed. III; Nicholas Brembyl, 42 Ed. III and 8 Ric. II;
Richard Whytendon, throughout Hy. IV and Hy. V.
448. Total of this parish 21s. 4d. and it is tithed at this in the king's exemplification.