Brasses and Monuments in st. Helen's Church, Bishopsgate.
1. (fn. 1) A brass of a merchant and his wife, date about 1400, names unknown. See
"Fairholt," p. 183. (Lost.)
2. Brass of Joana, daughter of Henry Seamer, wife of Richard, son and heir of
Lord Poynings. The account of this brass given in " Stowe's Survey," adds,
" Died a virgin in 1420." This figure is now lost, but an impression of it
taken by the late Mr. E. R. Mores when it was preserved in the Church
chest, represents her habited in a mantle, surcoat, and kirtle with mitten
sleeves, and on her breast a large " I. H. U. Mercy," her headdress of the veil
kind with the bosses of reticulated hair above the ears. Mr. Mores has
written under it "Obiit Virgo, 1420." See "Gough's Sepulchral Monuments,"
vol. ii., p. 55.
3. Monument to Alderman Sir John Crosby and Anne, his wife, 1475–6.
4. Brass to memory of Thomas Williams, gentlemen, and Margaret his wife. The
former died January 16th, 1495. The date of wife's death not inserted.
5. Brass, very elaborate, of a Lady Abbess of the period of Henry VII., the
costume that of the aged ladies of that day, who not unfrequently ended their
days in a nunnery as Lady Abbesses or even as mere sisters, to the no small
emolument of the Church.See "Fairholt," p. 238.
6. Monuments to Sir William Pickering—Father and Son, 1542–47.
7. Brass to memory of John Leenthorp [or Leventhorpe], Esq., one of the four
Keepers of the Chamber to Henry VII.: died August 16th, 1510.
8. Brass to memory of Mr. Robert Rochester, Sergeant of the Pantry to Henry VIII.,
who died May 1st, 1514.
9. Thomas Benolte, sometime Windsor Herald to Henry VIII., otherwise Clarenceux King of Arms, died May 8th, 1533. Figure in Herald's Tabard, bearing arms of England and France quartered, on each side two female figures;
that of later date in more elaborate costume than the former (lost, but stone
remaining). (fn. 2)
10. Monument to Sir Andrew Judd, Lord Mayor, Citizen and Skinner, 1551. (fn. 3)
11. Monument to William Bond, Alderman, Sheriff of London, 1576.
12. Monument to Sir Thomas Gresham, Citizen and Mercer, 1579, and William
his Son, 1560.
13. Monument to Sir John Spencer, 1609. This monument before the restoration
of the Church in 1865 stood on the west side of the Lady Chapel.
14. John Robinson, Alderman and Merchant Taylor, Merchant of the Staple, 1599. (fn. 4)
15. William Kerwin, Freemason, 1594.
18. Sir Julius Aldermair (alias Cæsar), Knight, Doctor of Laws, Judge of the Court
of Admiralty, 1636 (see p. 672).
19. Monument to Martin Bond, Captain of the City Train Bands. Commanded in
the camp at Tilbury in 1588. Died 1634, aged 85.
20. Monument to Francis Bancroft, an Officer of the Corporation of London, 1727.
From St. Martin's.
22. The Otewich effigies. Removed from the Church of St. Martin Outwich in 1874.
23. Richard Staper, Alderman, 1608. Removed from the Church of St. Martin
Outwich in 1874 (see p. 19).
24. Hugh Pemberton, Merchant Taylor and Alderman, 1500. Also Katherine, his
wife. This monument was removed from the Church of St. Martin Outwich
25. William Bernard, 1746. Removed to this position in 1874 from the north wall
of a Vestry which formerly stood on the site of the Lady Chapel, which
Vestry was removed in 1874.
26. A Brass of John Breieux, Rector, 1459.
27. A Brass of Nicholas Wotton, Rector, 1483. An Honorary
Member of the Merchant Taylors' Company. [See
Appendix G (2).] on one Stone.