Preface

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Percy Lovell and William McB. Marcham (editors)

Year published

1938

Supporting documents

Page

19

Citation Show another format:

'Preface', Survey of London: volume 19: The parish of St Pancras part 2: Old St Pancras and Kentish Town (1938), pp. XIX. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64858 Date accessed: 23 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

PREFACE

The second part of the Parish of St. Pancras brings the Survey southward as far as Regent's Park. It includes a summary of the history of the prebendal manors, amongst which the area of the parish is divided, and it has not a little information concerning the buildings that bordered the old highways before the sweeping changes of the last century. In presenting the picture of earlier days the authors have been much assisted by the admirable panoramic drawings and notes of Mr. J. F. King, the use of which has been most kindly permitted by the St. Pancras Borough Authorities. In the neighbourhood of Regent's Park are not only the notable terraces planned by John Nash and his contemporaries, but also the Chapel of St. Katharine's Hospital, which preserves its architectural and monumental treasures, brought from its original site (now S. Katharine's Docks) near the Tower of London. The Old Church and its memorials are also included within this volume.

Mr. Marcham and Mr. Lovell are again primarily responsible for the heavy work entailed in dealing with this closely inhabited area, but they have had the assistance of the active Committee in many ways. They are also indebted to the St. Pancras Borough Council for permission to reproduce material from the Heal Collection as well as the panorama referred to above; the Governors of St. Bartholomew's Hospital for access to their records and the use of the map of their Estate near the Old Church, which has been reproduced; to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for permission to publish extracts from the Court Rolls of the Manor of Cantelowes; to Lord Southampton for access to his records of the Manor of Tottenhall; to the Bedford Estate, the Commissioners of Crown Lands, Mrs. Arundell Esdaile, and many others who have generously assisted the work of the Committee. Photographs taken by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments are published with the sanction of His Majesty's Stationery Office.

Walter H. Godfrey