XXXII—THE ROYAL CHAPEL OF ST. KATHARINE
Plan showing the positions of monuments in St. Katharine's Chapel
The Hospital of St. Katharine by the Tower was founded by Queen
Matilda, wife of Stephen, about 1148, and was re-endowed and enlarged by
Queen Eleanor, widow of Henry III, in 1273. Under the patronage of the
Queens of England it grew to be a large and important corporation which
survived the changes in the reigns of Henry VIII, who had founded a guild of
St. Barbara there, and Edward VI. Its charter was revised in 1566 and in
1698 new rules for its management were made. The precinct was a large
one, eleven acres in extent, and included an important collection of buildings,
the chief of which was the Hospital Church. In 1825 the whole area was
sold to a company who constructed St. Katherine's Dock. The hospital was
then rebuilt in Regent's Park, from the designs of Ambrose Poynter, to whose
energies we owe the safety and preservation of so many of the fittings and
monuments from the old church (Plates 55 and 56). The Master's Lodge is
now the West End Hospital for Nervous Diseases. In 1914 the Hospital
was reorganised. It is now represented by the Royal College of S. Katharine
in Poplar and this chapel.
St. Katherine's Hospital
Fittings. Among the medieval fittings preserved from the old church are
a number of the fine 14th-century stalls which used to back on to the chancel
screen and return each side on the chancel walls. They are now grouped, four
on either side of the Sanctuary, and two sets of three flanking the west door
beneath the organ gallery. They have elaborate canopies with ogee crocketed
gables within which are pierced cinqfoil arches. Those at the west end retain
their richly carved misericorde seats, and there are seven similar seats in the
Chapter Room. The subjects of the carving are as follows: (west end of
chapel), hawk striking a duck, flanked by leaves; elephant and castle between
beasts with men's heads; lion subduing dragon between reptiles; wyvern
between leaves; bearded head turning left between winged man-headed
monsters; woman riding on a man-headed beast between grotesques; (chapter room), bearded head between leaves; mask and foliage between leaves;
pelican in her piety between swans; winged devil above two women's busts
flanked on one side by demon with a parchment deed and on the other by an
armed centaur; angel with bagpipes between lion's faces; bearded head
between roses; foliage. The elbows of the stall divisions are vigorously carved
with beasts, mitred heads, foliage, etc., and those in the chapter room include
the two elbows between adjacent angle stalls carved respectively with the
heads of a king and queen, with elaborate crowns. The stall fronts have
blind tracery with twin cinqfoil arches below a quatrefoil, and grotesque
figures carved in the spandrels above. See Plates 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77.
Set in the modern fronts of the choir stalls are eight richly carved
early renaissance panels, with busts within a circular plate with foliage rims,
and raised carving filling the space above and below, the whole in an enriched
and moulded rectangular frame. Three similar panels are set in the altar.
The hexagonal pulpit, the gift of Sir Julius Caesar, Master of the Hospital
(1596–1636), is a most interesting example of contemporary woodcarving.
On each face is a semi-circular headed panel carved in relief with fanciful
buildings in perspective, contained within an arch on pilasters formed of a
band of strapwork. These arches are again contained within pilasters at the
angles of the pulpit, carved with flowing ornament and having Ionic capitals.
The spandrels have winged angel heads. Above is a bold quadrant-shaped
cornice traversed in front by two carved and pierced scroll brackets with
eagle-heads supporting the book rest. Below is a panelled pedestal, each side
having four triangular raised panels, between carved brackets beneath the
pilasters above, and on a band between the upper and lower stages is the
quotation from Nehemiah (viii, 4): Ezra The Scribe Stood Vpon A Pvlpit
Of Wood Which He Had Made For The Preachin. The base is modern (Plates
85 and 86).
There are several other pieces of carved woodwork, the original use of
which is not known: a carved group, in the round, of five angels (Plate 79)
playing musical instruments, late 15th- or early 16th-century; four small
figures in the round (Faith, Hope, Charity, and a man with a scroll), fixed on
the stalls (Plate 78); a spiral column (Plate 80) with vine enrichment and a
drum carved with foliage and figures of St. Blaise and St. Katharine (17thcentury); three elaborate panels (Plate 82) of foliage surrounding figures of
children, now fixed to the organ gallery (late 17th-century); in the chapter
room a cupboard (Plate 74) made up of raised panels and long pendants of fruit
and foliage and a cartouche with a shield of arms; a series of richly carved
chairs of the time of Charles II, comprising one arm chair, two with high
backs and four with dwarf backs (Plate 81). The font is a composition of old
carved woodwork (Plate 80).
The communion plate includes two cups of 1652 and two patens and
a salver (1707) given by Louis de Duras, Earl of Feversham (1677–1709),
who was appointed master of the Hospital in 1698. A fine 15th-century
bronze hexagonal hanging lamp (Plate 79) (probably from the Holland
Chantry), to which has been added 17th-century branches for candles, is fixed
to the organ-case.
On the east wall.
1. LT.-GEN. SIR HERBERT TAYLOR, 1839
2. CHARLOTTE MARY LOUISA TAYLOR, 1845
On the south wall at the east end above Montagu.
3. CAROLINE LILIAN MARY OAKLEY, 1889
4. HON. GEORGE MONTAGU, 1681
At the east end on the south wall in the Sanctuary. A large monument comprising an inscription tablet in a moulded frame with indented head
flanked by a pair of Corinthian columns and a full entablature, the architrave mouldings of which stop against the back of the moulded frame. The
cornice carries a curved pediment broken to receive a cartouche of arms.
Quarterly: 1 and 4, Argent a fesse indented of three points gules in a border
sable; 2 and 3, Or an eagle vert, and crest. The columns are supported upon
a slight moulded shelf, beneath which is a plain oblong tablet with a shaped
and enriched bracket at either end. The whole resting on a moulded plinth
and a plain block of black marble with moulded base of white marble.
The tablet and frame are of white marble, the column, frieze and tympanum
are of black (Plates 57 and 58).
The arms occur again on a cartouche upon the panelling on the
north wall of the chapel.
Honorabilis Georgius Montacutius
Henrici MancestriÆ Comitis ex antiquis Salifburiæ
Antiqua morum gravitate, et Candore, jisq animi dotibus quæ
Virum vere nobilem deceant, Ornatisimus. Qui etiam adolesscens
In maximo totius Angliæ Concessu acerrimi in rebus agendis
Iudicji, illibatæq erga Regem fidei, clara dedit indicia, Neq
Honores ambiebat, aut Publica munera, Tranquillitati serviens,
Eoq magis ut Amicorum inserviret commodis quorum Negotia
Pari semper fide procurabat ac sua, Unum solummodo munus Libenter
Suscepit Hujus scilicet Hospitji Præfectinam in eo nempe.
Benefaciendi sibi locum datum existimans Hic enim Templum vetustate
Et squalore obrutum (immenso pœne sumptu) ab interitu ruinisq
Vindicavit: neq hic metam posuit Majora tamen meditantem
Et tam pio opere occupatum, ad præmium Benefactorum
Uxorem duxit Elizabetham Antonii Irbi
Equitis Filiam, quorum sælices nuptias, numerosa
Quinq enim filjis et quatuor filiabus moriturus
objit 19 Iulji, 1681
Aetatis suæ 59 (fn. *)
5. James St. John Blunt, 1889
A modern brass on the pier adjoining No. 4.
6. Arthur Lewis Babington Peile, 1911
7. Severne Andrew Ashhurst Majendie, 1927
6 and 7 are two small modern brasses on the back of the stalls.
8. Elizabeth Grigg, 1760
A tablet of white marble with moulded capping and base (three feet
three inches in width and two feet four inches deep) and an inscription in
capital letters surmounted by the figure of a cherub seated upon a rock,
weeping, extinguishing the torch of life, against a background of black
marble. Beneath the base two shell ornaments each eleven inches by eight
inches in depth as corbels. No arms. The monument is signed on the base,
Nollekens Ft. The pyramidal background, nearly four feet six inches in
height, the large shell supports and a certain academic coldness, make this
a typical example of the sculptor's minor work. It is not noted in J. T.
Smith's list of his monuments (Plate 61).
Near This Place Lies Interred The Remains Of
Mrs Elizabeth Grigg, Formerly Of This Parish:
Who Died The 16TH. Of September 1760:
And Of Her Two Daughters,
Anne Winne, Widow, Who Died 27, Dec, 1786, Aged 66 Years.
And Mary Grigg, Spinster,
Who Died The 16TH. Of January 1792, Aged 65 Years:
In Conformity To Whose Last Will
This Monument Is Erected.
After Giving Divers Legacies, She Bequeathed
The Residue Of Her Personal Estate, To Be Applied
For The Benefit Of Poor Women, In The Same Manner
As They Are Provided For By The Trinity House.
9. ANDREW COLTEE DUCAREL, 1785
An oval tablet of white marble (two feet six inches in length and two
feet in width), with a moulded border and a small moulded corbel. Above
the inscription is a shield of arms, Argent three lozenges gules; the crest is a
cock gules (Plate 59).
To the Memory
of ANDREW COLTEE DUCAREL
LL.D. Commiffary of ST. CATHARINES
and of the Diocefs of CANTERBURY
who died May the 29th: 1785 Aged 72
SARAH DUCAREL, Relict of
the above DR. DUCAREL,
who died Octr. 6th. 1791,
Aged 95 Years.
The famous Antiquary and author of the standard history of S.
Katharine's Hospital, published 1782.
10. MRS PEARCE, 1777
A curtain tablet two feet seven inches deep and two feet four inches
in width held by a cherub whose head and shoulders alone are shown, all in
white statuary marble. A very late survival of a rare 17th-century type executed by a good hand. On a shield below are arms Vert a bend cottised or [with
a ring sable on the bend]. This would be the coat of arms of Pearce of Parsons
Green in Fulham co. Middx. This coat impales a quartered coat which is
unusual as the Mrs. Pearce commemorated was a spinster. The impaled
shield seems to be a quartered coat of ?Peart (Plate 62). Motto Ad Mortem
Here is interr'd MRS Pearce Daughter of Lieut. Genl. Pearce
she died May 24th., 1777 aged 84.
Who was for more than thirty Years
A much respected Member of this Collegiate Church
And, besides other Charitable Benefactions,
Presented in her Life Time,
A handsome Service of Plate
For the Use of the Communion Table.
The Chapter, as a genuine Testimony of her great Merit
erected this Monument
To preserve the Memory of this excellent Woman;
Whose Charity and Universal Benevolence
Demanded the Love of all who knew her;
Whose Virtue, Piety, and most accomplished Understanding
Made her an Ornament to the human Nature.
11. LUCY NORTHEY, 1874
12. WILLIAM CUTTINGE, 1590
A brass (said to be gilded copper) four feet six inches by two feet four
inches over all having the kneeling effigies of a man and a woman at a prayerdesk. This is set on a Purbeck marble tablet with a semi-circular arch of
guilloche ornament in relief supported by two semi-hexagonal pillars with
caps and bases. There are shields of arms of the City of London and of the
Merchant Taylors' Company in the spandrils of the arch and above it are
a dentilled cornice and pediment. In the tympanum is a shield of these
arms: Argent a saltire raguly voided gules in a border sable charged with ten
roundels argent. The crest is a hart's head gules with a small inscription on
either side of it. A shaped apron consisting of a roundel has a bracket on
either side (Plate 63).
In the tympanum:
on the left—
This Was Done
Att YE Charge
Of WM Berblok
on the right—
One Of His
Between the figures on a piece of drapery hanging on the side of the
prayer-desk an inscription,
ye 4th Daye of
Ætatis SuÆ L
and between the heads of the kneeling figures are these arms: Sable a cheveron
between three roundels argent each charged with a martlet sable with three
voided lozenges sable on the cheveron.
Beneath the kneeling figures is the inscription—
Here Dead In Part Whoes Best Part Never Dieth
A Benefactor William Cuttinge Lyeth
Not Deade If Good Deedes Covld Keepe Men Alive
Nor all Dead Since Good Deedes Doe Men Revive
Gonvile And Kaies His Good Deedes Maie Record
And will No Dovbte Him Praise Therefore Afford
Saincte Katrins Eke Neer London Can It Tell
Goldsmythes And Marchant Taylers Knowe It Well
Two Covntry Townes His Civill Bovnty Blest
East Derham And Nortonfitzwarren West
More Did He Then This Table Can Vnfold
The Worlde His Fame This Earth His Earth Doe Hold
13. WILLIAM WATERSON, 1710
EDMUND WATERSON, 1713
An inscription in gilt lettering on a black marble tablet five feet deep
and two feet three inches in width with a moulded border, cornice and a
swag of drapery also in white marble drawn aside to reveal the lettering. On
a shaped apron a shield of arms Sable a fesse between three rings or impaling
Argent a cheveron between three boars sable (Plate 63).
In steadfast hopes of a joyful Resurrection.
Near this place ly's interred the body of
William Waterson Esqr. Surveyer of
the ports of England and Wales (except
London) & Depty. Collr. inwards of ye Port of
London: who departed this life Ianuary
ye 6th, 1710 in the 74 year of his Age
He executed these, as well as several
other important Trusts with great fide
lity; from the Year 1660 when he first en
ter'd upon publick Buissness he did ever
reconcile ye faithfull difcharge of his duty
to ye Crown: with just regard to ye Subjects
ease and conveniency: and has left an ever
lasting Character for his Integrity Industry
In his private Relations he was a most dutyfull Son loveing
and tender Husband & Parent most affectionate Brother:
generous Freind: & greatly charitable to all.
Here also lies inter'd his only Son Edmund Waterson
Esq who departed this life the 16th. of Ianuary Anno Domi.
1713 Æta. 42. Whose . . . y Learning and other Great Ac
quirements have left a lasting memorial of Him
He was a Good Christian a true Patriot a Faithfull
Freind & an accomplish'd gentleman, His Kindness to his
Relations & his Love to mankind were above Comparison
Quis Desiderio [sit pudor et] modus Tam chari capitis ?
On the north wall near the gallery at the west end.
14. EMILY ELIZABETH WYNYARD, 1832
15. MARIANNE ELIZABETH GREEN, 1924
A small modern brass on the panelling.
On the pier between the 2nd and 3rd recesses on the north wall.
16. FREDERIC BECKER, 1663
An inscription in Latin in gilt lettering on an oblong tablet of black
marble, four feet six inches deep and two feet six inches wide, within a white
marble moulded frame. Above it a cartouche of arms, Argent a cheveron
azure with five molets thereon between two trefoils in chief and a chaplet in
base vert for Becker, impaling Or three trees on a mount vert and a chief azure
with one molet or therein for Vernatty (Plate 60).
Hoc tumulo conditur corpus
frederici Becker, Hollandia oriundi
generosi Vir prœstanti virtute
et eximia probitate clarus
negotiorum causàe patria in
Angliam nauigans prospero cursu
Grauesand superata, interiora
Tamisis penetrauerat, inopinato
casu, juxta diluculum e naui
prolapsus, trepidantibus omnibus.
et ad opem imploranti ferendam
armamenta expedientibus veste
madente, & Labore natandi confectus
Cui charæ quondam conjugis soror
Adriana Vernatty Filiberti
Vernatty Militis, & Baronetti filia
Monumentũ posteris symbolum
Charitatis Extremae erga dilectum
affimem extorrem hoc insigne
hœredum sumptibus instituit
Obijt Maij die 30 Ætatis Anno 40
17. REV. R. W. BAXTER, 1850
18. SIR HENRY OAKLEY, 1912
A small modern brass on the panelling.
19. REV. GEORGE BAXTER, 1801
JANE BAXTER, 1769
An inscription tablet of white marble upon a shaped background of
black marble, two feet ten inches in width and two feet five inches in depth
at the centre, bearing a plain shield of arms (upon which there are three bats)
above the inscription (Plate 59). A similar coat appears on No. 17.
This Tribute of Filial Reverence is Placed
Sacred to the dear Memory of
the Revd. George Baxter M.A.
who was for many Years
a Diligent Minister of this Precinct
and a Valuable Member of this Ecclesiastical Society.
But with me it is a small thing that I should be judged of you
or of Mans judgement — He that judgeth me is the Lord
Who both will bring to Light the hidden Things of Darkness,
and will make manifest the Counsels of the Hearts,
and then shall every Man have Praise of God.
He died 19th. December 1801 Aged 80.
to the Memory of Jane Baxter,
the greatly & deservedly beloved Wife of the above
who died 10th. February 1769. Aged 32
Blessed are They whose Hope is in the Lord their God
20. REV. SAMUEL PRICE DAVIES, 1855
21. JOANNA RAMPAYNE, 1694
A small raised oval inscription tablet of white marble with a moulded
edge, two feet four inches deep and two feet in width, enriched and surmounted by a cartouche of arms bordered with flowers in relief and a shell
ornament below. The arms shown are Gules a lion ermine impaling Gules
a chief argent with six roses countercoloured for Caesar (Plate 64).
Joanna ye wife to John Rampayne
Gent. & Daughter to Robert Cæsar
Esqt. she Dyd in Childbed
December ye 15 1694
Pasenger stay this richest Grave
A small Delay may justly Crave
Virtue adorned with Wit & Beauty
Religious Love Conjugall Duty
In this small Cabinet lys Enshrind
While Glory guilds her purer Mind
both her Parents near her ly:
& bear her Reliques Company
Kind Death which used srend to pte
Joyn'd these who Liveing had one heart
Renown'd Sr Julius Cæsar lent
Unto them all Noble Descent:
Dying she did a Son bequeath
Inn whom she lives in Spite of death
thus when ye old Phœnix Sweetly dyes
She new does from her Ashes Ries.
Her Husbands love this Monument rears
Her Sister writes these lines with Tears
Dna Anna Poyntz scripsit
22. ANN POYNTZ, 1729
A plain oblong inscription tablet four feet six inches in depth and
two feet six inches in width, of white marble between a pair of fluted pilasters
of the Roman Doric Order with entablature complete, the cornice surmounted
by a shield of arms, Barry of eight or and gules, for Poyntz, impaling Cæsar
as in the preceding monument. Beneath a slightly projecting shelf a pair of
simply moulded corbels (Plate 64).
Near her Sister Mrs Johanna Rampayne
lyeth the Lady Ann Widow of SR. John Poyntz
of Iron Acton in Gloucestershire
who dyed June the 23, 1729
Her great Grandfather was Sr Charles Cæsar
of Bennington Place in Hertfordshire Knt.
Master of the Rolls to King Charles the first. Whose
Father Sr. Julius Cæsar was Master of Requests
& Judge of the Admiralty to Queen Elizabeth
Chancellor and Under Treasurer of the Exchequer
and Master likewise of the Rolls, & One of the
Privy Council to King James & King Charles
the first: Of which Ancestors She was truly worthy
The Table next adjoyning shews
How much her Sisters Death she mournd
And this how faithfully her love
Is by that Sisters Son return'd.
On the back of the stalls on the north wall, three small modern brasses.
23. HORATIA CHARLOTTE FRANCES STOPFORD, 1920
24. GEORGE BRETT PRIEST, 1906
25. JOHN HULBERT GLOVER, 1912
26. JOHN HOLAND, K.G. DUKE OF EXETER, 1447
ANNE (STAFFORD) his first wife
ANNE (MONTAGU) his third wife
An elaborate canopied altar tomb of stone with three alabaster
effigies. The recumbent figures are original, with repairs, but the tomb and
canopy have been reconstructed. Some of the original work has been replaced
by facsimiles and some omitted. In the original chapel the tomb occupied an
opening in the north wall in the second bay from the east, its principal face
being towards the chancel and the northern front towards a chantry chapel
built outside the main fabric. West of the tomb was a doorway into the
chapel over which were niches similar to those over the tomb and both
doors and tomb were contained within traceried upright borders with a
succession of quatrefoil panels. The tomb had twelve niches for weepers on
the south front below the recumbent effigies. The tomb itself has now a
plain front with a modern inscription upon it (given below). The moulding
is enriched with a series of carved male heads showing a variety of headdresses. The effigy of John Holand is in civil costume with a long cloak and
coronet, at his head is a crowned helm, at his feet a lion. His two wives
both wear horned head-dresses and coronets, their head-cushions being
supported by angels and their feet in one case by a hound and in the other
by a pair of small dogs.
The canopy is carried on lateral walls, that to the west pierced by
an arch. The front of the canopy has a four-centred arch with small shoulders
and the main curves almost straight. It is elaborately cusped in the form of a
trefoil, the centre lobe being cinqfoil with trefoil sub-cusping, the side ones
trefoil, sub-cusped like the centre.
In the main spandrels above the arch are angels blowing trumpets
and in the lesser spandrels beneath are angels with censers, foliage and doves.
The two points of the major cusps terminate in figures of angels carrying
shields bearing the arms of Stafford and of Montagu quartering Monthermer.
The lesser points terminate alternately in leaf-ornaments and heads. The
arched opening of the canopy stands between a framework, the principal
members of which are continuous moulded angle shafts, marked by an intermediate boss of foliage at the springing and a deep hollow filled with carving, flanked by a buttress with crocketed finials. To the east the carvings in
the hollow moulding are of foliage, swans, birds, monkeys, foxes, etc., while
upon the opposite side appear a stag-hunt, hare-coursing and four groups of
foxes and geese, the latter including a scene of a fox hanging a goose. Over
the arch is a cornice containing six figures of crouching angels between which
project centrally and over the responds shields (three in number) and crested
helms bearing the arms of Holand—England in a border argent—with a
leopard crowned upon a hat of estate upon each helm.
The upper part of the monument above the main cornice is entirely
covered with a series of niches, the front having six each side of a large
central niche (fn. *) the canopy of which rises above the top cornice. In each is a
pedestal for a statue and a boveare crocketed canopies, some of which are
broken away. On the west side are six similar niches.
The back of the canopy to the tomb (now close to the wall) has an
arch in every respect similar to that at the front, and the soffit between is
panelled with two rows of sub-cusped quatrefoils, their foliated points
enclosing leaf-ornaments, and octofoils between. On the west face of the
eastern return of the canopy are three niches with panelled and foliated bases
and vaulted canopies of tabernacle work. Above them is a boldly curved and
coloured achievement of arms similar to those on the front cornice and on
either side of the helm is a shield of arms, France and England quarterly
with a label and Holand impaling Stafford. These appear to be of original
workmanship (Plates 65 to 68.
The inscription on the monument runs—
This monument was erected in the collegiate church of St
Katharine near the Tower to the memory of John Holland Duke
of Exeter: Earl of Huntingdon & Ivry=Lord of Sparr=Admiral
of England Ireland and Aquitaine = Knight of the most noble
Order of the Garter and Constable of the Tower = he died the V
of August MCCCCLVII + Also to the memory of his two wives =
viz=Anne daughter of Edmund Earl of Stafford by whom he had
issue Henry Holland the last Duke of Exeter of that surname who
married Anne sister of King Edward the fourth and died without
issue = Anne daughter of John Montacute Earl of Salisbury by
whom he had issue his only daughter Anne mother to Roland
Nevil third Earl of Westmoreland.
Their remains having been carefully removed from the original
place of interment were deposited in this chapel as are those of
the other persons whose monuments and gravestones were transferred to it from the Collegiate Church of St Katharine aforesaid.
An inscription brass adjoining the Holand monument to the east
records how in the Year of Jubilee, 1935, Queen Mary, Patron of the Royal
Hospital of St. Katharine, restored this monument. This restoration (see
Frontispiece and Plate 65) consisted in replacing the missing canopies to the
niches and a number of minor repairs. (fn. *)
27. GEORGE MONTAGU, 1681
Before the Montagu monument a black stone with a very fine achievement of arms carved in relief and occupying nearly half the surface of the
Honorabilis Georgius Montagu
Hic situs est
Sepultus Iulij 23 AD 1681
28. Nearly entirely hidden by the south block of stalls—only half the
achievement of arms being visible.
29. Mrs Christian Gapper
In a space between the choir stalls, on the south side—a black slab
with an achievement of arms rather worn in parts, showing a saltire and a
chief charged with three lions (like the arms of Cupper of Somerset, no doubt
intended) for Gapper impaling [Ermine] on a cheveron between two couplecloses
[sable] three scallops [argent] for Brownell. A diamond of stone let in below
the arms conceals a small portion of the inscription. A few words are hidden
by the stalls.
Here lies [the] Body of
MRS. CHRI[STIAN] GAPPER
who departed this [li]fe April 23D
Aged 23 Years.
Also the Body of
Captn. JOHN BROWNELL (Father [of]
the above MRS. GAPPER) who died
the 19th. of June, 1767 Aged 73 Yea [rs]
Likewise MRS. MORRIS SETTON BROWN[ELL]
who died March 8th. 1786
Aged 77 Years
Also MRSLUCY HUET, late wife o[f]
Doctr HUET of GOWER STREET
Daughter of the above Captn. JOHN BROW[NELL]
who died the 1st. of Feby. 1807 Aged 61 Y[ears]
30. CHARLOTTA PATTERSON, 1741
EDWARD PATTERSON, 1750
A black stone with achievement of arms and a Latin inscription in
slightly sloping italic. The first part of it is defaced and partly hidden by stalls
but enough is visible to record that Charlotte, wife of Edward Patterson,
died 28th November, 1741. The remainder of the inscription reads—
Juxta Charlottam Sua [m d]ilectam depositum est,
quicquid mortale fuit Edw Ardi Patterson, hujus Collegii
Senioris Fratris. Dotes animi quas natura ei non parca manu
dedit, studio ac litteris in Acadēmia Edinburgensi non
minus diligenter quam feliciter coluit. Mariti, Patris, Civis,
ac Pastoris officia fideliter executus est, Morum suavitas dum
vixit, amicis gratissimum, ac jam post mortem memoriam ejus
caram reddidit Objit XI Kal. Maji ann. Dom. MDCCL Aetatis suœ XLIV.
The arms are [Argent] three pelicans [gules] on a chief embattled [azure]
three molets [argent] for Patterson of Bannockburn impaling, a fesse [ ]
between three leopards' heads [ ].
The crest is a dexter hand holding a feather.
31. JOHN HICKOX, 1706
On the north side of the space between the choir-stalls, a black stone
with large incised achievement of arms—some words obliterated by the stalls.
. . . Lyeth the Body of JOHN HICKOX (fn. *)
. . . Citizen of LONDON who departed
. . . Life the 27th: day of NOVEMBER 1706:
. . . d 41 years who Married ELIZABth;
. . .d: daughter of SR: WM: HOLFORD
. . . ELHAM in the County of LEICESTER
. . . om he left three daughters ANN
. . . LIZABETH and BRIDGETT.
. . . net tam Domo quam Funebri (Sine pompâ) Solamen
Omnibus Amicus Inimicus Nulli Ingenuis;
. . . gerus parenti Conjux fidelis; Sobolique vero
. . . is amore mortuus, ab. Bonorum Amorem
Laudemq meruit et invenit.
The arms shewn are, [Argent] a cross [azure] charged with five fleurs
de lis [or] with a lion [gules] in the quarter, which are those of Hitchcock of
Preshute, co. Wilts., impaling [Argent] a greyhound passant [sable] and a chief
[azure] with three fleurs de lis [or] therein, for Holford of Wistow.
32. THOMAS LEY
WILLIAM B. LEY, 1712
MARY DUMMER, 171.
A white stone very much worn and partly illegible. An achievement
of arms very much worn in which traces of the armorials of Dummer of
Swaythling and Ley of Kenn are barely visible.
. . . . . . . . . Of MR. THO
. . . . . . . . . . SS. and
Mary . . . . Grandson of Captn.
M . . . . . . . . . . DUMMER
. . . . . . . . . . . . . the 27th
the 31.st. . . . . . . S
lyeth interr'd the Body of
WILLIAM B. LEY Grandson of ye above
Capt the ss and MARY LEY
who departed this life the d of July
1712 Aged . . Years and . . men the
. . . . . . . . such is the Kingdom
Also here lieth the Body of M . . MARY
DUMMER wife of Capt. DUMMER who
was interred under the next Grave
stone She departed this life the
. . of March 171. in the . . Year
The remainder nearly worn away, but the missing portions in this
inscription and in Nos. 31 and 34 can be seen in Ducarel's History.
33. MRS SUSANNA DVDSON, 1690
The lower portion of a white stone.
Here lyeth interred ye Body
of MRS: Svsanna former Wife
of MR: Emmanvel Dvdson of
this Precinct who departed
this life ye 25th: of IULY 1690
aged 27 years
34. In the vestibule just in front of the south door—much defaced with a
coat of arms of which the arms are worn away, but sufficient left to identify
the name DUDSON.