Survey of London: volume 19: The parish of St Pancras part 2: Old St Pancras and Kentish Town
Percy Lovell and William McB. Marcham (editors)
Description of platesList of illustrations
'Cambridge Terrace', Survey of London: volume 19: The parish of St Pancras part 2: Old St Pancras and Kentish Town (1938), pp. 122. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64874 Date accessed: 20 September 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
To the south of Chester Terrace comes Cambridge Terrace separated
as usual by a roadway giving access to the street behind and to Albany
Street as well. The terrace was named after the Ducal Viceroy of Hanover,
and only two blocks belong to the earlier period, being much simpler in
style than the grandiose conceptions of the two northern terraces. The name
of the original building lessee was Richard Mott whom we find in a similar
capacity at Gloucester Gate. The terrace consists of blocks of four storeys
in height, with the end and central houses emphasised by being slightly
advanced from the main fronts (Plate 102); also their entrance porches still
more advanced with coupled rusticated Doric columns. There is the usual
garden in front of the terrace.
The two early blocks are not referred to in 1827, but in 1829 there
are seven residents.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd