|No. 2.||1770–1773, The Swedish Ambassador. (He is not named and the rates are charged to
William Franks.) 1776–1779, Sir Peter Dennis, Bt. 1783–1781, Mrs. Dennis.|
|No. 3.||1818–1822, Dr. M. Fitzgerald.|
|No. 4.||1846–1854, 1871, William Harding, surgeon.|
|No. 5.||1770–1788, William Franks. He took a prominent part in developing Percy Street,
Rathbone Street and Charlotte Street. He died 1790 and the inscriptions on his
memorial tablet and floorslab in St. John's, Kentish Town are given in St. Pancras,
Pt. 2, pp. 146–7. His wife Mary, who is also commemorated, lived here till her death in
1805. Their son, William (d. 1797), was also buried at St. John's. See 1a Fitzroy
|No. 6.||1781–1788, Dr. William Osborne. 1804–1824, Alexander Peter Buchan, son of Dr.
William Buchan, (1729–1805), physician to the Foundling Hospital (Ackworth,
Yorks) and author of a popular work entitled Advice to Mothers.|
|No. 8.||1794–1798, Samuel Cotes (1734–1818), miniature painter, third son of Robert Cotes,
Mayor of Galway, who practised as an apothecary in London. Samuel's brother was
Francis Cotes, R.A. who taught him painting. Samuel was a Fellow of the Incorporated
Society of Artists and also exhibited at the Royal Academy. He had previously lived at
No. 25 Percy Street. He retired to Paradise Row, Chelsea, where he died. 1825–1828
Edward Hodges Bailey (1788–1867), sculptor, R.A. (1821). See also No. 10.|
|No. 9.||1794, Sartorius. This may be one of the family of painters who were well known for
their pictures of animals and sporting subjects.|
|No. 10.||1817–1826, Peter de Wint (1784–1849) landscape painter. Apprenticed to John
Raphael Smith and in 1809 entered the Schools of the Royal Academy. He lived from
1802 to 1827 with his friend William Hilton, R.A. whose sister Harriett he married
in 1810. He moved from 10 Percy Street in 1827 to 40 Upper Gower Street (now
No. 113) where he died in 1849. Mrs. de Wint remained there from 1850 to 1867.
1830–1846, Edward Hodges Bailey, R.A., sculptor, see also No. 8.|
|No. 12.||1832–1846, Henry Pierce Bone (1779–1855), painter, son of Henry Bone, R.A.
enamel painter to George II, George IV and William IV. He began as a painter in
oils but in 1833 took up his father's art and became enamel painter to Queen Adelaide
and Queen Victoria. He lived subsequently at No. 22 Percy Street where he died.
1852–1854, Albert (Richard) Smith, author and lecturer.|
|No. 14.||1770–1779, Dr. James Walker. 1794, Mordecai Lopes, father of Sir Manasseh Lopes
(see Fitzroy Square).|
|No. 16.||1804–1808, Robert Abraham, probably the architect (1773–1850). His work included
Arundel Castle, Synagogue near the Haymarket, Westminster Bridewell, etc. He was
the son of a builder and had a wide connection among Roman Catholics.|
|No. 17.||1823–1826, John Wade, grandson of Field-Marshal George Wade. His mother Helen,
widow of the Field Marshal's natural son John, died here, 24th September, 1823, in
her 93rd year.|
|No. 19.||1776–1781, James Bailey. May have been the engraver. 1794–1812, Samuel
Harrison (1760–1812), vocalist. As a boy he sang as soprano at the Ancient Concerts
and later as principal tenor (1785–1791). "He became the most finished singer of his
age." He died at his house in Percy Street. His wife was Miss Cantelo, a soprano,
who sang at the Ancient Concerts and the Three Choirs Festival. She died in 1831.|
|No. 20.||1838–1854, Henry Tamworth Wells, presumably the merchant of that name who
married Charlotte Henman and whose son was Henry Tamworth Wells, R.A. (1828–1903). He was preceded at No. 20 by Edward Wells, saddler, 1802–1835, and was
followed by other members of this firm of saddlers, who also carried on business in
Tottenham Court Road.|
|No. 22.||1828–1846, Robert Lindley, violoncellist, (1776–1855). He was preceded at No. 22 by
Hannah Lindley, 1808–1830. 1848–1854, Henry Pierce Bone, for whom see No. 12
Percy Street (above).|
|No. 23.||1794–1804, Sarah Rose, On the authority of Hayley, Mr. Beresford Chancellor gives
this house as the residence of Samuel Rose, the friend of William Cowper, the poet.
His wife was Sarah, elder daughter of Dr. William Farr, a fellow student of Goldsmith.
They were married in Bath in 1790. Samuel Rose (1767–1804) died according to
D. N. B., at his residence in Chancery Lane and was buried in St. Andrew's, Holborn.
It is not obvious why his wife's name should appear in the rate-books, unless the house
was taken by her, owing perhaps to his absence on circuit. He was called to the bar
from Lincoln's Inn in 1796 and was later appointed Counsel to the Duke of Kent.
1812–1826, John Adolphus (1765–1845), barrister and historical writer. Published
Biographical Memories of the French Revolution, (1799), etc. He defended Thistlewood
and the Cato Street conspirators.|
|No. 25.||1770–1788, Samuel Cotes. See No. 8 Percy Street (above).|
|No. 27.||1776–1779, Colonel James Rainsford. 1781, Colonel, and in 1788 General Lascelles.|
|1794–1796, Stephen Storace, see No. 23 Howland Street.|
|No. 29.||1840–1846, George [Frederick] Kiallmark. See No. 1 Fitzroy Street.|
|No. 30.||1776–1783, Lady Elizabeth Grant. 1788, Rev. Dr. Price. 1871–1872, Henry Tidey
(1814–1872), water colour painter, younger brother of Alfred Tidey, miniature painter.
Commenced as a portrait painter but had great success with historical and poetical
subjects after the manner of Watteau. He died at his house in Percy Street.|
|No. 33.||1794–1798, Governor William Brown. 1804, Colonel Delavel. 1824–1841, Charles
|No. 34.||1781–1804, Lady Gosling. 1821–1826, Jacob George Strutt, painter and etcher.
Exhibited at the Royal Academy and British Institution between 1819 and 1858.
Known chiefly for his etchings of trees. From 1831–1851 was abroad and returned to
England in the latter year.|
|No. 36.||1776, Sir Charles Price (1732–1788) succeeded his father in 1772 as second baronet
and on the former's resignation in 1753 to the Speakership of the House of Assembly of
Jamaica. He returned to England in 1775 for four years and then went back to Jamaica
and died there. 1815–1822, George Francis Joseph (1764–1846), portrait and subject
painter. Constant exhibitor at the Royal Academy from 1788 and also at the British
Institution. He was elected associate R.A. in 1813. He retired in 1836 and from that
year lived in Cambridge where he died. He was cousin of Samuel Joseph (see No. 90
|No. 37.||1838–1840, Henry Duesbury, architect.|