Windmill Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

J. R. Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1949

Supporting documents

Page

27

Citation Show another format:

'Windmill Street', Survey of London: volume 21: The parish of St Pancras part 3: Tottenham Court Road & neighbourhood (1949), pp. 27. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65156 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XLI—WINDMILL STREET

This street which was commenced in 1723 took its name from the mill shown in the manorial map in St. Pancras, Part II. In Rocque's Map of London (1746) can be seen the first building of the Middlesex County Hospital (1745–6) which stood on the south side of the street until it was moved to its present site at the corner of Cleveland Street and Mortimer Street. St. Pancras Female Charity School was established at No. 12 (south side), where Nicholas Marcey was rated for the school in 1770. It was removed to its present site in Hampstead Road in 1790.

John Goodge granted building leases of land on the south side in 1723–4 but building does not appear to have been completed until 1762. (ref. 33) The ratebooks show that nearly all the houses on both the north and south sides of the street were occupied by the year 1770. The area north of Windmill Street, between Charlotte Street on the west and Whitfield (then, John) Street on the east, and reaching north to within a little of the site of Colville Court was sold by William Franks to Henry Bingley in 1773. (ref. 34) Excluded from the sale were the brewery in John Street (shown on Tompson's map), two houses in Windmill Street at the corner of Whitfield Street (Nos. 32 and 33), "lately built by William Weston," and other parcels which were no doubt already occupied by dwellings.

Nothing of particular interest survives to-day of the 18th-century houses.

Inhabitants

No. 12.1770, Nicholas Marcey (French Charity School).
No. 13.1804–1808, Rev. John Martin (1741–1820), Baptist minister. From Kimbolton (Hants) and Sheepshead (Leics) he was appointed to Grafton Street Chapel. A new meeting house was built for him in Keppel Street (Bedford Square) in 1795. There was a large secession from him in consequence of his defence of the Test Corporation Acts. He resigned in 1814. Author of a number of pamphlets.
No. 17.1818, William Jupp, probably William Jupp, the younger, (d. 1839), architect, son of William Jupp, architect, who designed the entrance hall to the Carpenters' Company, and nephew of Richard Jupp, architect to the East India Company. He was surveyor to the Skinners, Merchant Taylors, Ironmongers and Apothecaries Companies.
No. 36.1779, Henry Morland, probably Henry Robert Morland (1730?–1797) portrait painter, son of George Henry Morland, painter and father of George Morland the well known landscape painter. He exhibited at the Society of Artists, the Free Society and the Royal Academy. He died in Stephen Street, Rathbone Place. His wife Maria Morland was also an artist and exhibitor at the Royal Academy (1785–1786); 1780–1804, Edward Edwards.(1738–1806), painter. Associate of the Royal Academy (1773) and professor of perspective there (1788). He was proficient in etching and also wall decoration. He was employed by John Boydell, the Society of Antiquaries and Horace Walpole. He was buried in St. Pancras Churchyard.

References

33. M.L.R. 1723/2/365; 1724/6/401; 402, etc.; 1762/1/101, 102, etc.
34. Ibid., 1773/2/432.


<--Previous:
Charlotte Street
Next:-->
Charlotte Place