Charlotte Place

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

J. R. Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1949

Supporting documents

Page

28

Citation Show another format:

'Charlotte Place', Survey of London: volume 21: The parish of St Pancras part 3: Tottenham Court Road & neighbourhood (1949), pp. 28. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65157 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

XLII—CHARLOTTE PLACE

(Formerly Little Charlotte Street)

Charlotte Place, or, as it was then, Little Charlotte Street, is shown on Tallis's view of Goodge Street as guarded by a row of posts. It is a paved court connecting Goodge Street with Rathbone Street (at the corner of what was Bennett Street) and seems originally to have been designed as two rows of 3 storey houses. Several of these have been rebuilt and are now 4 storeys in height and have shops below. The numbering is consecutive, beginning from the north, next the corner house in Goodge Street on the west side. There are seven houses on this side, No. 7 adjoining the Duke of York public house in Rathbone Street. The numbers then return along the east side (10–15). There is nothing of particular interest to note in the buildings.

From the leases in the Middlesex Land Register, it appears that William Franks was concerned in this building scheme and that a number of the houses were erected by Thomas Holmes, bricklayer, and others by Thomas Green, joiner. The period of erection covered the autumn of 1766 and the following year. (ref. 35)

References

35. Ibid., 1766/7/110, 111; 1767/4/190–2, etc.


<--Previous:
Windmill Street
Next:-->
Colville Place