Euston Grove

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

J. R. Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1949

Supporting documents

Page

118

Citation Show another format:

'Euston Grove', Survey of London: volume 21: The parish of St Pancras part 3: Tottenham Court Road & neighbourhood (1949), pp. 118. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65191 Date accessed: 19 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LXXVI—EUSTON GROVE

The four houses on the east side of Euston Grove are of four storeys, the two middle ones slightly recessed from those at the end. The latter have rounded external angles also slightly recessed from the face. The ground floor is of stucco and grooved joints, and has semicircular arched doors and rectangular sash windows. The upper floors were originally in brick but the northern house has now been rendered throughout. The first-floor windows are rectangular with wide architraves with the exception of Nos. 2 and 3, which have three-light windows, the centre one arched and an outer arch aligning with the side lights is carried over the whole with fluted ornament between the two arches in the Adam manner. The second and third floors have rectangular windows following the width of those below and the two floors are separated by a plain pilaster band, which is moulded in the case of No. 4 (Plate 68).

Inhabitants

No. 1.1844–1847, Rev. Francis Martin.
No. 2.1845–1853, John Cooper. Perhaps the actor who had a great vogue in London between 1820 and 1858. He appeared chiefly in Shakespearean parts at Drury Lane and Covent Garden. 1858–1874, Robert Edmond Grant (1793–1874), comparative anatomist. He was a friend of Charles Darwin and professor of zoology at University College to which he left his collections and library.


<--Previous:
Euston Square
Next:-->
Euston Crescent