SOUTHWARK BRIDGE AND NOS. 1–15 SOUTHWARK BRIDGE ROAD—ANCHOR TERRACE
In 1811 a company was formed and empowered by Act of Parliament
to erect "a Bridge over the River Thames from or near the Three Cranes
… in the City of London, to the opposite Bank … in the Parish of
Saint Saviour." (ref. 193) Southwark Bridge was built in 1814–19 by Sir John Rennie
and is generally regarded as having been unsurpassed as an example of the
use of cast iron in bridge building. The bridge was freed from toll in 1864.
In 1868 it was purchased by the City of London Corporation who had
hitherto rented it. The building of the present bridge was begun in 1912
but, owing to the war, it was not opened to traffic until 6th June, 1921. The
architects were Sir Ernest George and Alfred Bowman Yeates.
The 1811 Act provided for the formation of a southern approach
road to Southwark Bridge not less than 60 feet in width from Horse Shoe
Alley to Blackman Street to be joined to the bridge by the formation of an
arch over Bankside. Anchor Terrace (Nos. 1–15 Southwark Bridge Road,
formerly Nos. 1–8) on the east side of the street was built in 1834 by Barclay,
Perkins & Co., who had been among the more active promoters of the
Southwark Bridge Scheme.
Anchor Terrace, Southwark Bridge Road. Fanlight
Anchor Terrace is a formal group of brick houses with the ground
floor in stucco. The centre portion and the two end houses are of four storeys
surmounted by a cornice and panelled parapet. They project slightly from
the rest, which is of three storeys. A stone band beneath the second floor
windows is carried through to form a string course and above the second floor
is a moulded cornice. There is a balcony at first floor level with stone balustrading to the centre and end portions and iron balusters to the linking
portions. In the centre is a projecting entrance porch. The ground storey
has moulded round-arched openings with ornamental fanlights to the doors.
No. 9 (formerly No. 5) is shown in the directories as in the occupation of Barclay & Co.,
from 1841 to 1843 and No. 7 (formerly No. 4) as occupied by Barclay, Perkins & Co., in 1844–48,
Arthur Barclay in 1858–70, Charles Arthur Barclay in 1871–73 and Robert Barclay in 1874–89.
The terrace is still in the ownership of Barclay, Perkins and Company.
||Private Act, 51 Geo. III, c. 166.