CHAPTER 4: THE CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE THE MARTYR
The first church of St. George's, Southwark, was probably built at
the beginning of the 12th century. There is no mention of it in Domesday
Book, but in 1122 it was presented to the Abbey of Bermondsey by Thomas
of Ardern and his son. (ref. 100)
Little is known about the mediaeval church except that it was rebuilt
at the end of the 14th century. (ref. 101) Two stones which may have come from this
second building have been bedded into the inside wall of the 18th century
tower at the level of the clock. The inscriptions, which are rudely carved,
appear to be by the same hand. The larger (fn. a) , reads—
d[ominu]s de Hasting
me fieri fecit
anno dni mil
XXX – VIII
(Edward, Lord of Hastings caused me to be made A.D. 1438)
Hec requies mea
in s[aeculu]m s[aecu]li hic ha
bitabo q[ua]m elegi eā
which may be paraphrased in the words of Romeo—
Will I set up my everlasting rest" (ref. 102)
Sir Edward Hastings, de jure Lord Hastings, was imprisoned in the
Marshalsea in 1417 for refusing to pay the costs of his unsuccessful claim
against Reynold, Lord Grey of Ruthin to bear the undifferenced arms of
Hastings. (ref. 103) In several pitiful letters Sir Edward bewailed his sufferings (ref. 104) —he was bound in fetters of iron; he had a "langweryn" sickness and was
never likely to be hale again. After 18 years of imprisonment, he suggested
that the quarrel should be resolved by his son John marrying Sir Reynold's
daughter, but the effort at conciliation failed and Sir Edward died early in
1438. It is possible that the two inscribed stones formed part of a chantry
in the church of which Sir Edward had paid the cost.
In the 15th century Letters of Indulgence were granted from Rome
to persons helping the guild or fraternity of St. George in Southwark. (ref. 81) This
guild, founded for the maintenance of one priest, was still in existence at the
Reformation, when it was stated to be worth £6 2 s. 8d. a year. (fn. b) (ref. 105)
St. George's Rectory was surrendered to Henry VIII with the other
possessions of Bermondsey Abbey and has remained in the gift of the Crown
ever since. (fn. a)
No accounts or minutes have survived for the period before 1619,
by which time the building was in a poor state. In 1629, according to an
inscription formerly in a window in the north aisle, the "Church, Steeple
and Gallery, was repayred and new pewed, and beautified, and the South He
inlarged by the Parishioners… and other good Benefactors"—the latter
including most of the greater City livery companies. (ref. 108) At this time a portion
of the churchyard was taken to enlarge the south aisle, and in part of the
extra space a pew was provided with "two long Seats, one for the Men, the
other for the Women Almsfolk of St. Peter's Hospital or Alms house at
Newington." (ref. 20) The church was repaved and the windows repaired in 1652,
and in 1715–16 it was "new pewed and beautified." Aubrey described it in
1719 as "large and spacious," with pillars, arches and windows of "modern
Gothick." (ref. 108)
By 1732 the building was in such a ruinous condition that it was
"dangerous for the Inhabitants of the Parish to attend the Worship of God
therein," (ref. 109) and as a result of a petition of the churchwardens a grant of
£6,000 from the funds of the Commissioners for the Building of Fifty New
Churches was authorized by Act of Parliament (ref. 109) for the rebuilding of St.
George's "with Brick." The new church was designed by John Price. (fn. b)
The foundation stone was laid on St. George's Day, 1734, and the main
part of the structure was completed by 1735. (fn. c) The grant from the Commissioners proved inadequate to cover the cost of furnishing the church, and
in 1735 a rate of 1s. in the pound was levied to set up the old organ, to
provide a clock, font, etc. (ref. 96) The church was opened in 1736, when numbered
pew seats were allotted to 404 parishioners (ref. 96) and their families. The new
building was smaller than the old, with the result that the churchwardens
became embroiled with the Fishmongers' Company who claimed the right
to have pews for their almspeople in the same place as before, though this
was manifestly impossible since the site was now outside the church wall.
In 1749 the living of St. George's was worth only about £70 a year
and was dependant on tithes and Easter offerings. The parish therefore
applied for and obtained an Act of Parliamen (ref. 111) authorizing a rate to raise
£125 a year for the better maintenance of the rector. There was no parsonage
house and the increase in his income proved inadequate for the Rev. Leonard
Howard, the then rector, who was frequently confined in the King's Bench
for debt. It was not, however, until 1807, during the rectorate of the Rev.
John Brand, that a further Act (ref. 112) was obtained increasing the amount which
might be raised by rate to £400 a year with an additional £80 a year until a
parsonage house should be built.
In 1791 it was reported to the vestry that the steps in front of the
church were badly decayed and that "it would be very Convenient as well
as Ornamental if the Corners were taken off and the Steps & railings made
Circular." (ref. 96) This alteration was carried out, thus in part remedying the
fault noted by Ralph in his Critical Review that the church projected "very
aukwardly into the street." (ref. 113) Fifteen years later the Rector's warden, James
Hedger, asked S. P. Cockerell, the architect, to make a survey of the church.
Cockerell advised a "substantial repair" since much of the exterior was
decayed. (ref. 114) Work to the value of £9,000 was carried out at this time. The
ceiling was repainted by J. F. Rijaud and the paintings at the east end of the
church were restored.
St. George's Church, plans. Measured drawings by F. A. Evans
In 1899 the crypt was cleared and 1,484 coffins were removed and
re-interred in Brookwood Cemetery where the site is marked by an obelisk,
a replica of the obelisk formerly in St. George's Circus and now standing in
the Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park (Plate 42b).
The vibration caused by the City and South London Underground
Railway (now the City line section of the Northern Line), opened in 1890,
and the increased traffic of the streets on either side of the church gradually
damaged the structure. (ref. 115) In 1930 some repairs were made to the tower,
spire and crypt under the supervision of Philip Johnston, (ref. 115) but funds were
not available for the thorough overhaul of the building which was needed.
In 1938 Frederick Etchells reported that the south wall had bulged and
cracked, that almost all the supporting pillars of the west, north and south
galleries were out of upright, and the main beams had pulled away from the
walls and that, though the main roof was of excellent material and construction, it would be necessary to provide a continuous tie to the easternmost
truss and make good the timbers in the south-west corner where wet had
penetrated. He found that the walls rested on old piles set to a considerable
depth in made ground and that immediately below the floor were "masses
of skulls and bones thrown together at the time of the rebuilding." The
death watch beetle had also attacked the pews.
The foundations of the south wall were strengthened in 1938 and
perhaps saved the building from collapse during the war when the damage
from enemy action was considerable. A thorough restoration was carried out
under the direction of Thomas F. Ford in 1951–52, and the church was
rededicated by the Bishop of Southwark on 16th October, 1952. The
opportunity was taken to make some alterations and improvements in the
building. The sanctuary was enlarged by moving forward the altar rails, the
font was raised, a new east window replaced the shattered old one and the
ceiling and coats of arms were repainted in colour.
St. George's is built of red brick with Portland stone dressings. Its
west tower is faced wholly in stone. The main roof is covered with copper in
replacement of the former slated roof, only the roof over the sanctuary being
The church has galleries on three sides fronted with plain oak
panelling. The supports to the galleries are also faced with oak panels, and
the carved consoles at their heads are of the same material. Under the
galleries the plaster ceiling is recessed with simple coved mouldings to admit
more light through the lower windows.
The ceiling in carton pierre above the nave, which replaced the old
plaster ceiling in 1897 (Plates 18 and 19), was designed by Basil Champneys, (ref. 116)
though it has the appearance of being coeval with the building. It shows
winged cherubs in bold and richly modelled relief breaking through a clouded
sky. Shining through the clouds are rays which emanate from the glory
beyond. The cherubs hold ribbons bearing texts from the Te Deum and the
Benedicite. At the recent restoration the ceiling was delicately coloured in
gold, and pastel shades of blue, pink, and green.
The frieze has the same plain cream finish as the rest of the interior
wall surfaces except for the picking out in colour of the shields bearing the
arms of the Skinners', Drapers', Fishmongers' and Grocers' Companies
(who contributed towards the rebuilding) on the north and south walls, and
the City of London and the parish device on the east wall. The inscriptions
"Holy Holy Holy" to the ribbons of the swags beneath the cherubs' heads
are in gold.
St. George's Church, architectural details. Measured drawings by F. A. Evans
There are only two stained glass windows in the church, that of three
panels to the east window of the sanctuary and the centre window on the
south side under the gallery.
The east window, which replaces one destroyed by enemy action in
1942, shows in the centre panel Our Lord ascending in glory. Rays surround
Him and He is attended by two angels carrying a cloth of gold. There is a
cross beneath His feet and above is a hand representing God and a dove
symbolic of the Holy Spirit descending to earth. Beneath are saints grouped
in an arc, each carrying a pilgrim's shell, and at the centre is a pelican in piety.
In the left and right panels are St. George and St. Michael, and at the bottom
the arms of the Fishmongers' Company, the borough of Southwark, the see
of Canterbury, and the City of London. Also there is a tiny kneeling figure of
Little Dorrit carrying a poke bonnet. The predominant colours of the glass,
which was designed by Miss Marion Grant, are yellow, red, blue, and emerald
The centre window under the south gallery (the inner window of the
double glazing) is in rich colour and depicts St. George slaying the dragon.
It is the only window in the church to have survived the recent war, and in
1950 it was re-set in antique glass. The window, which was brought from
the chapel of the Hanwell Residential School in 1933, commemorates those,
born in Southwark and the City of London and educated at Hanwell, who
fell in the Great War.
"Little Dorrit's" vestry, at the west end of the south aisle, has wood
panelling in two heights, and there are cupboards similarly panelled on each
side of the doorway leading to the aisle. The vestry has a heavy plaster
cornice to the ceiling and contains a plain narrow oak table which is nearly
10 feet long and dates from the 18th century.
The coat of arms and supporters now erected in front of the organ
are those of James I and Charles I (Plate 20b). No record has been found of
the exact date when they were carved but they were probably first put up in
1628–30 when the church was extensively altered. (fn. a) They are in elm, painted
and gilded. There are several entries in the 17th and 18th century accounts
for cleaning or repainting these arms. <It has since come to light that the coat of arms were brought here from the Church of St Michael, Wood Street, demolished c.1897, along with a reredos, later removed to St Mark's Church, Kennington. See also Survey of London, vol.XXVI, The Parish of St. Mary Lambeth, part 2, Southern Area, under St Mark's Church.>
No details of the making of the pulpit (Plate 20a) have been found
though there is little doubt that it is contemporary with the building. In the
early years of the 19th century it stood in the centre of the middle aisle with
the lectern and clerk's desk in front of it. (ref. 114)
The font from the old church was for many years submitted to the
ignominy of being used for the beating of oakum in the parish workhouse. (ref. 117)
The existing font is contemporary with the building. It is made of greyveined marble and has all its surfaces tooled vertically. It was moved and
raised on a step during the recent restoration when more space was made
for the baptistery by the removal of two rows of pews. The font has an
octagonal pedestal and base, the pedestal having attached shafts at each angle.
The bowl is circular and is scalloped inside and out.
In 1735 £50 was paid to a Mr. Jordan for setting up the old organ in
the new church. In 1807 Thomas Fruin of York Row, Lambeth, was
appointed "to repair and improve" the organ, the compass "being three Notes
less in All than common" and the case "very Old Fashioned and heavey." (ref. 114)
He set it up in its present plain panelled case.
A full description of the very interesting plate belonging to St.
George's (Plate 71a) was printed in the Surrey Archaeological Collections
for 1900. (ref. 3) The plate consists of—
Two silver cups of 1559 and 1640, respectively; both have a London
hall-mark; the second has the bowl inscribed "Thomas Dudson one of the
Parishoners of the Parish of St. Georg in Southwarke gaue this Cupp and
Cover to the Church of the same Parish for ever to remayne. Anno D[omi]ni
1640." The cover is lost.
Three silver patens. (1) Has the London hall-marks of 1696 though
the foot is inscribed—
W E. R. W
The inscription was probably copied from an earlier paten. (2) Has the
London hall-mark of 1711 and is inscribed "Ex Dono J C Ecclesiae Sancti
Georgij Martyris in Burgo de Southwark 1711." (3) Has the London hallmarks of 1716 and is inscribed "Pietatis Ergo Hanc patinam Eucharisticam
Ecclesiae & Parochiae Sti Georgii Mertyrii Dedit et dedicavit Sarah Moore
Two silver flagons. (1) Has the London hall-marks of 1696 and is
inscribed "The gift of A.G.A. to ye Parish Church of St. Georges, Southwark
1696." (2) Is similar but lacks the date.
A silver alms basin with the London hall-marks of 1696 and the
inscription "The Gift of Lawrenc James Septm 1627. Gilbert Keffer,
Robert Green, William Addams, Church Wardens. T.D. 1640." The
inscription is reproduced from an earlier plate.
Two silver plates each with the London hall-marks of 1743 and in
the centre a coat of arms and the inscription "The Gift of Mrs. Ann Walmesly,
Widow, Deceas'd, to the Parish of St. George the Martyr in Southwark."
On the reverse side is "Thos Dawson, Jacb Forster, Jno Chandler, Church
Silver spoon-strainer with the London hall-marks of 1824 and the
maker's initials, W.E. It is inscribed "Saint George Southwark, 1825."
There are two beadles' staves with globular silver heads. One is
dated 1800 and the other is inscribed—
"This was Purchasd. by
Constables of St. George ye Martyr 1732
For ye Use of ye said Parish for ever.
Will. Spicer, Beadle."
The clock with four dials in the steeple, painted "in as good and
handsome a manner as the Clock at Greenwich Church" was made by
George Clarke of Whitechapel for £90 in 1738. (ref. 114)
In 1738 the churchwardens agreed with the "Proprietor of the
Thames Water at Dockhead" to pay twenty shillings a year for a supply of
water to the church from the main. A lead cistern to contain 5½ barrels of
water was placed "within the North West Door under where the Bucketts
now hang." (ref. 114) The cistern (now converted into a collection box) still remains
in the church porch.
John Williams of Aldersgate Street was employed in 1735 to repair
the 8 bells from the old church and rehang them on a new frame. There is
extant a letter from a parishioner written in 1805 complaining of having
"his ears Saluted with the Clanking of St. Georges Candlesticks" and asking
for the 2 treble bells and the great bell to be recast to improve the peal. (ref. 114)
In the sanctuary there are two wooden chairs which have cabriole
legs with claw and ball feet. They date from about 1700.
The Monuments.—St. George's was the nearest church to the prisons
in Borough High Street and many of those who died in prison were buried
there. Bishop Bonner is said to be of their number. (ref. 118)
It is recorded that John Rushworth, author of Historical Collections
relating to Proceedings in Parliament, who at the end of a long life was imprisoned in the King's Bench for debt, was buried behind the pulpit in 1690,
and that the remains of Edward Cocker, arithmetician and writing master,
who died in 1675, were deposited in the passage at the west end of the
church. (ref. 118)
If any monuments of mediaeval date survived the Reformation they
were probably destroyed during the large-scale alterations to the fabric in
1628–30. John Aubrey, writing towards the end of the 17th century,
transcribed a number of inscriptions, the earliest, dated 1588, in rhyming
doggerel being in praise of James Savadge who left £5 to the parish poor. (ref. 108)
Only two pre-eighteenth century memorials now remain. These are
on brass plates to the north and south of the sanctuary and are inscribed—
(1) Svb Hoc Lapide Inhvmatvr Corpvs Ioh'is Iones Qvi Migravit
Evita Qvinto Die Febrvarij Anno D'ni 1600.
Hic Genitor Sitvs Es Consvmpto Corpore Letho At CCe;lis Pvro
mente manente deo.
(2) Here lyeth the body of Etheldred Reynell, davghter &
sole heyre to SR Edward Pecoke of Finchley KT wife to SR George
Reynell KT Marshall of yE king Bench by whom she had Issve 3 Son[n]es
& 3 Davghters, She Dyed YE X1TH Day Of September 1618. In The 34TH
Yeare Of Her Age.
Modest, Hvmble, Godly, Wyse,
Pittye Ever In Her Eyes,
Patience Ever In Her Breste,
Great In Good, In Evell Leaste
Lovinge wife, a mother deare
Svch she was who nowe lyes heere
The other tablets and memorials in the church, which are of stone,
are as follows—
In the Sanctuary—
Rev. Wheatley Heald, d. 1735 (lecturer in 1732), his wife Anna,
d. 1785, also their son, Rev. Wheatley Heald, d. 1786, and his wife
Alice, d. 1807.
East end behind the Lady Chapel—
1. John Theakston, d. 1815, William Theakston, d. 1827 and
2. William Kirkham, d. 1830.
East end, north side of the Sanctuary—
1. George Ware, d. 1829, and his wife, Sarah, d. 1834.
2. Daniel Taylor, d. 1827.
South side (under gallery)—
1. Edward Palmer, d. 1862, and Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1848, and
2. William Joseph Williams, d. 1832, and Mary, his wife, d. 1861,
and four children.
3. William Willmott, d. 1846, his first wife Martha, d. 1809,
his second wife Henrietta, d. 1832, and four children of whom Emily Mary
Ann, d. 1923, aged 106.
4. Matthew Wallis, d. 1788.
5. Mrs. Hannah Dakin, d. 1809.
6. A marble tablet from which the inscription has been removed.
The coat of arms—a chevron between 3 mullets pierced—indicates that it
was erected to John Davis of St. John's Street, Clerkenwell, d. 1793. (fn. a)
7. Sarah Ann, wife of James Lapworth of West Square, d. 1846.
8. Thomas Griffith, d. 1812, and his wife Elizabeth, d. 1840.
9. William Cody, d. 1795, and his mother, Mrs. Eleanor Hill, d.
1795. (fn. a)
10. Mrs. Mary Griffith, d. 1793, and Mrs. Louisa Griffith, d. 1796.
West side (under gallery)—
1. Richard Cody, d. 1782.
2. Tablet giving details of the restoration of the church.
3. John Griffith, d. 1779, and his wife Ann, d. 1792, also their son
John, d. 1810, and his wife Nancy, d. 1826.
4. Richard Easterby, d. 1781, and his wife Mary, d. 1788.
1. Alfred Staines Pigeon, d. 1867, and his wife, Mary Ann Sophia,
2. Robert Thomas Searles "of the Terrace, Old Kent Road," d.
1863. "Faithful in friendship, Fervent in business, Honourable in all
things." Erected by his friend, John E. W. Rolls (see p. 122).
3. Henry Pigeon, magistrate and deputy lieutenant of Surrey,
d. 1822, his wife, Susan, d. 1820, and a number of their descendants.
4. Henry Pigeon, d. 1783, and his wife, Mary, d. 1779, four
grandchildren, and Mary Newberry, d. 1817.
5. Thomas Burbidge, d. 1818, and his wife, Nancy, d. 1821, and
6. William Toulmin, magistrate and deputy lieutenant of Surrey,
d. 1826, and his wife, Ellen, d. 1835.
1. Jessie Hogbin, d. 1923.
2. Anthony Hall, d. 1799. (fn. b)
3. Edward Jefferson Whittaker of Blackman Street, d. 1839.
4. Ann Beal, d. 1849.
5. Alexander Millar, 18 years vestry clerk, d. 1897, and Jane, his
wife, d. 1894.
6. Richard Hust, parish clerk upwards of 58 years, d. 1835, and
Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1823.
7. George William Coleman Cross, upwards of 20 years parish clerk,
d. 1884, and his daughter, Esther Coleman Cross, 31 years parish clerk,
8. William Neville, churchwarden, d. 1910 (brass).
9. Thomas Webb of Nelson Place, Old Kent Road, d. 1817, and
Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1835.
10. Joseph Meymott, d. 1819.
11. Joseph Armstrong, linen draper, d. 1800, and Mary his wife,
12. Robert McGhie, late proprietor of the Retreat, Hampstead,
and Coxheath Plantations in Jamaica, d. 1815.
1. Mary, 3rd daughter of Charles Allen and Elizabeth Young and
wife of Thomas Neale Rippingall, d. 1852.
2. Robert Hill, d. 1808, and Ann, his wife, d. 1805, and descendants.
3. William Davidson, d. 1803, and Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1798,
and three sons. (fn. a)
4. Sarah Ellen, d. 1843, Henry Loud, d. 1847, and Ellen Jane, d.
1853, children of Charles Allen and Elizabeth Young. (In vault of Florance
5. Charles Allen Young, d. 1855, and Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1871,
and Charles Florance Young, their 2nd son, d. 1890.
6. Florance Young, magistrate of Surrey, d. 1835.
7. Sarah, wife of Florance Young, d. 1832, and their son, George,
d. 1833. (fn. b)
8. Florance Thomas Young, eldest son of Florance and Sarah
Young, d. 1855.
Many of the tablets bordered funereally in black before the restoration
of the church are now framed in white.
1. Samuel Brightred, armourer and brazier, of London, d. 1719,
and his wife Alice, d. 17 . . (between the Sanctuary and Lady Chapel).
2. John Edwards, d. 17 . ., and his wife Anne, d. 1732 (south
3. Thomas Dawson, d. 1771, and his wife Sarah, d. 1783 (south
4. Mary Waters, d. 1727, and William Oldham, d. 1757, and others
5. Matthew Marchant, d. 1722, and Catherine, his wife, d. 1738.
6. William Wood, d. 17. .; Jane Wood, d. 17. .; Mary Wood,
d. 1778 (north aisle).
There are a number of other slabs so worn that the inscriptions are
illegible. The slabs are set in a floor formed wholly of flagstones.
List of benefactors to the parochial and ragged schools, 1719–1871.
List of benefactors to the parish charities, 1584–1893.
List of Rectors—
|1307||William de Alyngio.|
|1315||Alard de Alyngio.|
|1317/18||William de Halybourn.|
|c. 1352||Orardus de Pratellis.|
|c. 1369||Thomas Motyng.|
|Before 1451||Robert Amyas (d. 1451).|
|1452||Roger Potter alias Redonall.|
|c. 1510||Peter Carmelianus, Latin secretary
and chaplain to Henry VII and luteplayer to Henry VIII. At different
times prebendary of York, St. Paul's,
London, and St. Stephen's. Westminster. (ref. 25) |
|1561||Thomas Harlowe alias Byerde.|
|1615||Edmund Gunter, mathematician, Gresham professor of astronomy, 1619–26;
introduced "Gunter's Chain" and
"Gunter's Line." (ref. 25) |
|1668||Hezekiah Burton, who was afterwards
rector of Barnes, Surrey. His sermons
were published posthumously. (ref. 25) |
|1715||Nathaniel Hough, lecturer of Kensington. (ref. 108) |
|1737||John Cooksey; also rector of St.
Antholin, London. (ref. 118) |
|1749||Leonard Howard, chaplain to Augusta,
Princess Dowager of Wales, lecturer of
St. Magnus, London Bridge, and St.
Margaret, Fish Street. (ref. 25) He was
buried beneath the altar.|
|1768||John Lewes, Archdeacon, Chaplain to
Lord Onslow. (ref. 118) |
|1768||Joseph Pote; also rector of Milton near
Gravesend. (ref. 118) |
|1797||John Brand; he published pamphlets
on politics and political economy.|
|1892||Thory Gage Gardiner.|
|1897||William James Sommerville.|
|1918||Henry Mayne Young.|
|1933||Ernest Charles Cook.|
|1942||John Baker Gale.|
|1947||Cyril E. V. Bowkett.|
The Churchyard.—There can have been little room for burials in the
churchyard prior to 1800, for it was quite small and in the 18th century
contained the fire engine shed, cage and watch house. Earlier still the
stocks and whipping post seem to have been situated there. (ref. 15)
In 1806 when S. P. Cockerell made his survey of the church it was
stated that the vaults under the church and churchyard were nearly full
and quite disproportionate to a parish of 22,000 where the yearly death
rate exceeded 1,100. (ref. 114) Nothing was done for ten years, but in 1816 the
population in the words of the Act being "much increased" and "still increasing" parliamentary authority was obtained for the enlargement of
the churchyard. (ref. 120) Premises in several small courts north of the church,
New Alley, Shaw's Court, Bangor Court, and Willmott's Buildings,
including the Girls' Charity School and the watch house, were purchased
and demolished, and an exchange was made with the Surveyor-General
of H.M. Works, of ground previously included within the Marshalsea,
for ground cleared for the churchyard, so that the wall dividing the two
could be straightened. (ref. 114)
A tablet dating from the time of this extension is standing in the east
part of the churchyard. It reads—
"This Wall was built at the Expence of the
Parifhoners of St. George, Southwark,
in the Year of our Lord, 1817.
|William Gibbs Church-Wardens."|
There are many 18th and 19th century gravestones along the north
wall of the church and in St. George's Gardens, but most of their inscriptions
are now illegible.
In 1882 the churchyard, having ceased to be used for burials, was
laid out as a public garden. Part of the south side was shorn off in 1902–04 for
the widening of Long Lane. (fn. a) A record of the inscriptions on monuments and
coffin plates disturbed at this time has been preserved in the Council's
library; they date from the period 1760 to 1851. Some Roman, Mediaeval
and Tudor pottery fragments were also discovered during the excavation for
this alteration. A drinking fountain, the gift of J. A. Pash and William Bear
in 1859, stands near the gateway.