Oakham soke

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1935

Page

4

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Oakham soke', A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2 (1935), pp. 4. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66193 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE SOKE OF OAKHAM

containing the parishes of Oakham; Belton; Braunston; Brooke; Clipsham; Egleton; Langham; Wardley

Until the 15th century Oakham Soke was included in Martinsley Hundred. From an early date, however, it had its separate jurisdiction, which arose no doubt on account of its connexion with the Saxon royal house, as dower land of Saxon queens down to Edith, queen of Edward the Confessor. In 1428 the two hundreds were called the Hundred of Oakham with Martinsley, but by 1684 the Soke had been separated from Martinsley Hundred. The descent of the Soke has been traced under Oakham Barony (q.v.), and Mr. Wilfred Henry Finch is now owner. The court of the Soke was apparently held at the Castle.



<--Previous:
The county of Rutland
Next:-->
Parishes:
Oakham