The borough of Northampton
Charities

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1930

Pages

62-67

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The borough of Northampton: Charities', A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 3 (1930), pp. 62-67. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66259 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES.

Cleveland Henry James Butterfield, by a declaration of trust dated 12 April 1923, gave £100, the interest to be applied in granting a prize to the most deserving mother during the year. The endowment, known as the Catherine Anne Butterfield Memorial Charity, now consists of £124 8s. 1d. 3½ per cent. Conversion Stock with the Official Trustees producing £4 7s. 2d., which is distributed by the Town Clerk and four other trustees appointed under the provisions of the declaration of trust.

Mrs. Mary Clark, by her will proved 9 March 1907, gave £200, the income to be distributed among the poor members and attendants at the Doddridge Congregational Chapel. The money was invested in £300 15s. Consols and is with the Official Trustees producing £7 10s. 4d. yearly which is distributed by the deacons amongst the poor members of the congregation.

Emma Pressland, by her will proved at Northampton 24 Feb. 1911, gave £100 to the trustees of the Doddridge Congregational Chapel, to apply the income for providing coal for the poor members of the chapel. The money was invested on mortgage producing approximately £7 annually.

William Jeffery, by his will proved 14 March 1896, gave £200, the income to be distributed among the poor members of the Doddridge Congregational Chapel. The endowment of the charity now consists of £211 13s. 10d. 5 per cent. War Stock 1929–47 with the Official Trustees; the dividends amounting to £10 11s. 8d. yearly are distributed by the trustees among the poor members of the chapel.

Mary Jeffery, by her will proved at Northampton on the 4 March 1864 bequeathed £150, the interest to be equally divided between the Coal Club, Sunday School and Bible Mission in connexion with the Doddridge Congregational Chapel. The endowment of the charity now consists of £284 Northampton Gas Light Company Consolidated Stock; the dividends are distributed annually.

Rebecca Clifford, by her will dated 19 Jan. 1719, gave a yearly payment of £10 issuing out of premises No. 24, in the Drapery, Northampton, for the wives or widows of poor members of the Corporation of Northampton. This charge was redeemed in 1915 and the endowment now consists of £333 6s. 8d. India 3 per cent. stock with the Official Trustees producing £10 annually. The charity is administered by five trustees appointed under the provisions of the scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated 8 May 1903.

The same donor, by her will dated as above, gave a yearly payment of £10 charged upon her messuage and liquorice ground in Northampton, to be distributed annually to the poor of Northampton. This charge was redeemed in 1901 and the endowment of the charity now consists of £400 Consols with the Official Trustees producing £10 annually. The charity is administered by five trustees appointed under the provisions of the scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 14 March 1902.

John Shortgrave, by his will dated 27 November 1775, gave a sum of £350, the income thereon to be applied in the purchase of clothing for poor men of Northampton. The endowment now consists of £428 10s. 3d. Consols with the Official Trustees producing annually £10 14s., which are applied in accordance with the trusts by the Vicar of All Saints' and three others as trustees.

Susannah Elizabeth Jones, by her will proved at Northampton on 13 Feb. 1909, gave to the Mayor of Northampton for the time being, £1,100 for the benefit of poor widows and spinsters. The endowment now consists of £1,310 14s. 8d. Consols with the Official Trustees producing £32 15s. 4d. annually.

Jonathan Warner, by will dated 17 July 1725, gave £60, the income to be applied in providing coats for four poor men of Northampton. To this sum a further £65 16s. 10d. was added by Christopher Smyth in order that better coats might be provided. The endowment now consists of £200 Consols with the Official Trustees producing £5 annually which is expended by four trustees.

Georgiana Sophia Worley, by her will proved 18 May 1907, gave to her trustees the residue of her estate (after payment of debts, legacies, etc.) to be sold, the proceeds to be invested and the interest thereon to be expended in providing pensions for poor widows. The endowment of the charity now consists of sums of £93 9s. 6d. Consols, £1,316 5s. 5d. Cape of Good Hope 3½ per cent. stock, £1,300 Natal 3½ per cent. stock, £1,800 London Midland and Scottish Railway 4 per cent. preference stock, and £1,032 London Midland and Scottish Railway 4 per cent. preference stock, with the Official Trustees, producing approximately £207 annually. The charity is administered by the Vicar and Churchwardens.

George Coles, by an indenture dated 1 Sept. 1640, conveyed to trustees properties situate at Northampton, the rents and profits to be distributed among the poor. The charity is now administered by trustees appointed by a scheme established by the Charity Commissioners dated 11 July 1919. The endowment consists of messuages known as Nos. 37 and 39, Gold Street, Northampton; £4,714 15s. 10d. Consols, and £524 17s. 7d. 5 per cent. War Stock 1929–47, with the Official Trustees, the whole producing approximately £436 per annum.

Julia Ellen Rice, by her will dated 25 Nov. 1922, gave a sum of £400 as a fund for providing pensions for two poor old persons in Northampton. The endowment now consists of £400 5 per cent. War Stock 1929–47, with the Official Trustees, producing £20 annually. The charity is administered by the trustees of George Coles' Charity.

John Friend, by his will dated 29 Jan. 1683, gave to trustees his messuage called the Black Boy and 2 acres of garden ground, the rent to be appropriated to such charitable purposes as the trustees and the Mayor and Justices of Northampton should think fit, The properties were sold, and the endowment now consists of £3,811 2s. 4d. Consols, £4,387 6s. 1d. Consols, £250 13s. 9d. 3½ per cent. War Stock, £400 5 per cent. War Stock 1929–47, held by the Official Trustees and producing £233 14s. 6d. annually. The charity is now administered by trustees appointed by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 2 May 1922.

Henry Green, by his will proved at Northampton on 26 Oct. 1922, gave to the trustees of Kettering Road Free Church, Northampton, £100, the income thereof to be applied by the trustees to such purposes in connection with the church as they think fit. The endowment of the charity consists of £180 1s. 3 per cent. stock, standing in the names of T. T. West, B. Nelson and John Sale, producing £5 8s. annually.

The Royal Victoria Dispensary, to which charity the Charitable Trusts Acts 1853 to 1914 were extended by an order of the Charity Commissioners of 21 June 1921, is now regulated by a scheme of the Commissioners dated 9 Feb. 1923. The endowment consists of £1,367 7s. 3d. 3½ per cent. Conversion Stock, £250 India 3½ per cent. stock, and £623 14s. 9d. Natal 3½ per cent. Inscribed Stock, with the Official Trustees, producing £78 11s. 4d. annually, which is administered by the members for the time being of the Board of Management of the Northampton General Hospital as trustees towards providing convalescent treatment for patients or ex-patients.

By a declaration of trust dated 6 Mar. 1920 Sir Henry Edward Randall gave £5,000, the interest to be applied in granting annuities of £25 per annum to poor widows or spinsters of not less than 55 years of age. The endowment now consists of £5,949 5s. 11d. 4½ per cent. Conversion Stock with the Official Trustees, producing £267 14s. 4d. yearly. This is distributed by the trustees appointed under the provisions of the declaration.

The endowment of the charity of Jane Porter consists of £96 19s. 2d. India 3½ per cent. stock with the Official Trustees and is administered by trustees appointed by deed. The income, amounting to £3 8s. annually, is distributed to poor members of the congregation of the Protestant Dissenting Chapel, in accordance with the provisions of the deed dated 16 July 1901. The origin of the charity is unknown.

The endowment of the charity of Mary Holmes and the charity for the Minister consists of £305 14s. 3d. Consols with the Official Trustees, producing £7 12s. 10d. yearly, which is paid to the minister of the Protestant Dissenting Chapel by the trustees appointed by deed. The origin of the charities is unknown.

John Driden, by his will dated 2 Jan. 1707, among other bequests, gave £1 per annum for a sermon to be preached one day at Christmas in remembrance of the donor of the charity.

Daniel Herbert, by his will dated 9 Nov. 1696, gave £10 per annum, charged upon his farm at Burton Latimer, for the purpose of apprenticing poor boys resident in the borough. By an order of the Charity Commissioners dated 6 July 1906 it was determined that the sums of £400 and £40 Consols with the Official Trustees should be set aside to form the endowments of the above mentioned charities. The income, amounting to £10 and £1 respectively, is applied by the trustees.

The Almshouse adjoining St. Thomas's Hospital was erected by Sir John Langham about the year 1682. By an indenture dated 14 June 1797 £300 stock was given by Juliana Lady Langham for the benefit of the two women inmates. The endowment of the charity now consists of £923 3s. 3d. Consols with the Official Trustees, producing £23 1s. 4d. annually, which is distributed to the two almswomen. By an order of the Charity Commissioners dated in 1870, the Vicar and Churchwardens of All Saints' were appointed trustees ex officio of the charity.

St. John's Hospital, formerly regulated by a scheme of the High Court of Chancery of 15 June 1875, is now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 5 Dec. 1913. The endowment of the hospital consists of considerable properties in Northampton and various sums of stock held by the Official Trustees in trust for the charity, as set out in the schedule of the scheme of 1913. In accordance with the provisions of the scheme, the income is applied in the payment of the stipends of the Master and of the out-pensioners of the charity, and in supporting and maintaining the hospital and the inmates therein. The trustees consist of 14 persons, among whom the Master and the Mayor for the time being of Northampton are included ex officio. The hospital has now been moved to Weston Favell and the building in Bridge Street sold.

William Rae, by his will proved in the Principal Registry 13 Aug. 1906, gave £500 to the Weston Favell Convalescent Home connected with the St. John's Hospital, the income to be devoted to the purchase of newspapers, periodicals and books for the use of the patients. The endowment now consists of £497 9s. 3d. New South Wales 3½ per cent. Inscribed Stock and £104 14s. 8d. 3½ per cent. Conversion Stock with the Official Trustees, producing £21 1s. 6d. yearly, which is applied by the trustees of St. John's Hospital. The same donor by his will gave £5,000 and the residue of his estate to the Northampton Town and County Nursing Institution, to be invested and the income devoted to the services of the Queen's District Nurses in Northampton. The endowment now consists of various sums of stocks invested in private names, producing in 1925 approximately £640, which is applied by the trustees of the Queen Victoria Nursing Institution.

The endowment of the Margaret Spencer Home of Rest consists of £20,000 5 per cent. War Stock 1929–47 held by the Official Trustees, and forming part of the endowments of the Northamptonshire Regimental Prisoners of War Fund, as provided by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 26 Nov. 1920. The income, amounting to £1,000 yearly, is paid by the trustees to the Board of Management of the Northampton General Hospital towards the maintenance of the Home.

The following charities are applied to the General Hospital:—

The Rev. John Henry Smith, by his will proved at Northampton 29 Feb. 1884, gave to the Governors of the General Hospital £100 for investment. The endowment now consists of £99 2s. 8d. Consols with the Official Trustees, producing £2 9s. 4d. yearly.

William Dash, by his will proved at Northampton 12 April 1883, gave £100 to be invested for the general purposes of the hospital.

George Charles Benn, by his will proved in the Principal Registry 14 Nov. 1895, gave his farm and lands situate at Bozeat to the Governors for the benefit of the hospital. The property was sold in 1896 and the net proceeds, amounting approximately to £1,287, invested.

The John Putley Bequest, founded by will proved at Taunton 17 June 1899, bequeathed to the treasurer of the hospital £100 for investment.

Mrs. Margaret Webster, by will dated 11 Oct. 1759, bequeathed £130 to be applied to the payment of a chaplain to the hospital to the extent of £30 a year for 4 years, and gave certain directions for the performance of the duties of the chaplain.

Sir Edmund Isham, Bart., by a codicil to his will dated 3 Jan. 1865, bequeathed £1,000 stock, the income to be applied to the support of the chaplain.

Sarah Edwards, by will proved in the Principal Registry 11 Mar. 1919, bequethed the sum of £1,000 to the treasurer of the hospital for the endowment in perpetuity of a bed to be named the 'Sarah Edwards" bed.

Louisa Mary Lady Knightley of Fawsley, by will proved in the Principal Registry 3 Feb. 1914, bequeathed to the treasurer a sum of £1,000, the interest to be applied for the endowment of a bed to be called 'The Rainald Knightley' bed.

Thomas Faucott Sanders, by will proved in the Principal Registry 3 June 1921, bequeathed the residue of his estate for the general purposes of the hospital.

Francis Clarke, by will proved at Northampton 27 July 1910, gave a third of the residue of his estate to be disposed of and the proceeds invested for the same purpose. The endowment now consists of a sum of £1,866 17s. 4d. Consols, standing in private names.

Mary Augusta Scott, by will proved in the Principal Registry 15 Mar. 1913, bequeathed £1,000 to the treasurer for endowing a bed in memory of her parents, William and Sophia Scott.

Edwin Ellard, founded by will proved in the Principal Registry 17 Mar. 1925, whereby he devised certain real estate in the County of Northampton, subject to a life interest to his widow, upon trust for the hospital. The widow of the testator is still living.

The following charities comprise the Municipal (Church) Charities, and are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 15 Aug. 1899:—

St. Thomas's Hospital is supposed to have been founded and endowed by the citizens and burgesses of Northampton about the year 1450 for the benefit of the poor of the town, and was dedicated to the memory of St. Thomas of Canterbury. By the original foundation twelve poor people were maintained in the hospital upon a small weekly allowance besides clothing and fuel, arising from bequests made by Edward Elmar, Agnes Hopkins, Thomas Hopkins, John Bryan, Thomas Craswell and others. In 1654 and 1680 John Langham and Richard Massingberg made further bequests, and in 1683 James Bales devised considerable estates for the use and yearly relief of the poor people of the hospital, the rents of which were first received in 1748. In 1833 the present hospital was erected. The income of the charity is derived from various properties in Northampton (the donors of which are in most cases unknown) and considerable sums of stock held by the Official Trustees. In 1925 the income was approximately £3,000. The number of pensioners has varied from time to time, and in 1925 amounted to 9 in-pensioners and 141 out-pensioners.

Sophia Danner, by will proved at Peterborough 15 July 1925, gave £250 for the benefit of St. Thomas's Hospital. The endowment now consists of £255 2s. 11d. Funding Stock 1960–90 with the Official Trustees, producing £10 4s. 1d. yearly.

William Parbery Hannen, by will proved at Northampton 3 Feb. 1921, gave to the trustees £25, the interest to be applied in providing warm garments for the oldest widow of St. Giles Street Almshouses. This sum is now represented by £34 11s. 6d. Local Loans 3 per cent. stock with the Official Trustees, producing £1 0s. 8d. yearly.

James Henry Clifden Crockett in 1924 gave £1,000, the interest to be used for the benefit of in and out pensioners of St. Thomas's Hospital. This sum was invested in £1,134 12s. 4d. 4 per cent. Funding Stock 1960–90 with the Official Trustees, producing £45 7s. 8d. annually.

The endowment of Wades' Charity, the origin of which is unknown, consists of a payment of £2 out of the revenues of the town council, whereof £1 is paid to the minister of All Saints' for a charity sermon, 13s. 4d. to the churchwardens for distribution in bread to the poor, 3s. 4d. to the clerk, and 3s. 4d. to the sexton.

Robert Ives, by will dated 16 Sept. 1703, bequeathed £100 to the corporation upon trust to purchase freehold land, the rents of which to be applied as follows:—20s. yearly to the minister of All Saints' to preach a sermon in the church on New Year's Day, and the residue to be applied by the mayor and minister of All Saints' for clothing poor old men and women. The endowment now consists of a rent charge of £5 issuing out of Mill Holme Meadow.

The charities are administered by a body of trustees consisting of 6 representative trustees and 14 co-optative trustees.

The following charities comprise the Municipal (General) Charities, and are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 30 July 1915:—

John Ball bequeathed to the corporation £50, and directed that the interest be applied in clothing six poor widows of the parish of All Saints on St. Thomas's Day. The endowment now consists of £50, invested on mortgage, the interest of £2 being distributed in money to six poor widows.

The Bugbrooke Charity, formerly the Corporation Charity School and the Earl of Northampton's Gift, was founded by indentures dated 1 and 2 Jan, 1755, whereby the estate at Bugbrooke was conveyed to the mayor, bailiffs and burgesses upon trust that they should apply two-thirds of the rents and profits to poor freemen of Northampton. The endowment of the charity now consists of a yearly sum of £100, payable out of income of land at Bugbrooke containing about 67 acres, also land and cottages at Bugbrooke containing about 12 acres, which is applied in clothing and donations to 15 poor freemen.

Thomas Crasswell in 1606 bequeathed to the corporation £50, the interest to be given yearly towards the preferment of a poor maid of Northampton in marriage.

The endowment now consists of £50 invested on mortgage, producing £2 annually, which is paid to the mayor, and distributed as above.

Matthew Sillesby by will dated 18 April 1662 gave to the mayor, bailiffs and burgesses a messuage, tenement, garden, and a close of ground all in Northampton, the rents and profits to be distributed between two poor widows or widowers of Northampton, more especially of the parish of All Saints. The endowment now consists of £1,994 15s. 1d. Consols with the Official Trustees—£333 6s. 8d. Consols in the High Court of Justice, producing £58 4s. annually, which is distributed to three poor widows in annuities, together with residence at 35, Horsemarket.

Richard White, by will dated 1 June 1691, gave to the mayor, bailiffs and burgesses two closes of land at Duston, also garden ground at St. Peter and All Saints, the rents and profits to be distributed between two poor widows, one of whom to be of the parish of St. Peter. The land has since been sold, and the endowment now consists of £1,313 10s. 2d. Consols with the Official Trustees, £2,178 13s. 4d. Consols with the High Court of Justice and £150 National War Bonds (1927), the whole producing £94 16s. annually, which is distributed in annuities to poor widows.

Sir Thomas White, by an indenture dated 26 July 1552, conveyed certain estates in Coventry and the County of Warwick to the mayor, bailiffs, and commonalty the rents and profits of the estates to be lent out in free loan to young men of Northampton. The rents are received from the Coventry trustees every 5 years, and lent out to young men of Northampton in sums of £100 each for 9 years without interest. In 1922 the sum of £3,152 15s. was received from the Coventry Corporation, and the total amount of the loans outstanding on 31 December 1925 was £42,900. These charities are administered by 10 representative trustees and 11 co-optative trustees.

Ann Camp, by her will proved at Northampton 19 April 1899, directed that the whole of her real estate should be sold and the proceeds after payment of certain expenses and debts, invested, the income to be applied in granting pensions to poor widows or spinsters possessing the qualifications mentioned in the will. The endowment of the charity now consists of £3,300 invested on mortgage, £5,155 3s. 6d. 5 per cent. War Stock, and £5,333 3s. Corporation Redeemable Stock. The income is distributed in annuities of £20 per annum to poor widows and spinsters. The trustees of the charity are the trustees for the time being of the Municipal General Charities.

The endowment of the charity of Samuel Wollaston consists of a rent charge of £2 10s. a year issuing out of premises in Royal Terrace, Northampton, for the benefit of the poor of Northampton. The income is administered by the minister of All Saints' and the mayor of the borough.

The charity of George Phillips, founded by will proved at Northampton on 21 December 1899, is now regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 23 March 1910. The income of the charity is applied by the trustees for the benefit of indigent blind persons belonging to the town and county of Northampton.

The Northamptonshire and Peterborough Prison Charities, consisting of the charities of Rebecca Hussey, Margaret Countess of Lucan, and John Hall, are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 1 Nov. 1889. The endowment consists of £1,714 13s. 9d. Consols and £150 National War Bonds 1928, with the Official Trustees, producing £50 7s. 4d. annually, which is applied for the benefit of discharged prisoners, preference being given for the County of Northampton and the Liberty of Peterborough. The trustees of the charities are the Visiting Committee of H.M. Prison of Northampton.

Whiston's Gift is a lost charity. No account can be given of a payment of £4 a year in respect of this gift, mentioned in Gilbert's Returns. It has not been received for many years, nor is it known from whom it was received.

Parish of All Saints.—William Parbery Hannen, by will proved at Northampton 3 Feb. 1921, bequeathed to his trustees properties known as Nos. 144 and 146, High Road, and No. 1A, Villiers Road, Willesden Green, London, the income thereof to be distributed among the aged poor of the parishes of All Saints and St. Katherine. The properties were sold in 1921 and the proceeds invested in £869 5s. 4d. 5 per cent. War Stock 1929–47, in the name of the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds. By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 2 Jan. 1923 the sum of stock was apportioned between the two parishes, each receiving £434 12s. 8d. 5 per cent. War Stock, 1929–47. The income, amounting to £21 14s. 8d. yearly in dividends in each case, is applied by the churchwardens of the respective parishes. The same donor also gave the sum of £28 to the churchwardens of All Saints' to provide the choir boys with a new shilling each on Christmas Day.

Edward Whitton, in or before 1774, bequeathed a legacy consisting of £100 4 per cent. Annuities, the income to be applied in providing bread for poor persons of the parishes of All Saints, St. Giles, St. Peter and St. Sepulchre. The endowment now consists of £100 Consols, with the Official Trustees, producing £2 10s. yearly, each parish receiving 12s. 6d. a year. By an order of the Charity Commissioners, dated 1 August 1905 the incumbents' churchwardens of each parish were appointed trustees for the administration of the charity.

William Stratford, by will dated 16 July 1753, gave £500, the income to be applied for the benefit of poor housekeepers and other poor. This sum was expended in the purchase of an estate at Helmdon, which was sold in 1920, and the proceeds invested in £3,113 8s. 5d. Local Loans 3 per cent. Stock, in the name of the Official Trustees. The income amounts to £93 8s. annually.

Francis Clarke, by will proved at Northampton 27 July 1910, gave to the vicar and churchwardens of All Saints' £500 London and North Eastern Railway 4 per cent. Guaranteed Stock, and £250 London and North Eastern Railway 4 per cent. Guaranteed Stock, the interest to be distributed among the sick and aged poor of the parish. The stock has been transferred into the name of the Official Trustees, and the dividends, amounting to £30 annually, are distributed by the vicar and churchwardens.

Mrs. Dorcas Sargeant, as appears by an entry in the vestry book of the parish of All Saints, gave the rents of a small plot of ground in Cow Lane, Northampton, for the clothing of two poor widows. The land was sold in 1877, and the endowmwent now consists of £627 12s. 5d. Consols, with the Official Trustees, producing £15 13s. 8d yearly in dividends, which are applied by the vicar and churchwardens. In the year ending 31 March 1926, 16 widows received clothing.

The Beckett and Sargeant Sermon Charity was founded by Dorothy Beckett and Anne Sargeant, by deed dated 20 Sept. 1735. The deed (among other things) directed the trustees to pay the yearly sum of £1 to the vicar of All Saints' to preach a sermon yearly on the Feast of St. Andrew in All Saints' Church, for which purpose £40 Consols with the Official Trustees has been set aside.

James Bracegirdle, by will dated 24 March 1633, gave an annual rent charge of £2 issuing out of land at Bugbrooke to be distributed among the poor of All Saints and St. Sepulchre.

Each parish receives 16s. annually for distribution, 8s. being deducted from the charge in respect of land tax. The vicar and churchwardens of All Saints' and St. Sepulchre's are the Trustees.

Under the charity of Sir Edward Nicholls, founded by will dated 12 August 1708, the vicar of All Saints' receives from the trustees £30 per annum for the augmentation of the vicarage.

Parish of St. Andrew.—The charity of Miss C. E. Hyndman was founded by deeds dated in 1836 and 1842 which provided that the interest on £272 3 per cent. Annuities should be applied towards the cost of the repair of St. Andrew's Church. The endowment now consists of £272 Consols with the Official Trustees producing £6 16s. annually. The charity is administered by the churchwardens of St. Andrew's.

Parish of St. Giles.—The Feoffment Estates comprises the following:—The charity of Edward Watson founded by deed dated 2 Edward VI, 1548, which provided that the income of the charity should be applied for the benefit of the poor of the parish. The endowment consists of property known as 'The Chequers' Inn, 4 cottages and 6 closes of land at Rothersthorpe containing about 45 acres. The charity of George Coldwell, founded by deed dated 22 Mar. 1553, which provided that the income of the charity should be applied for the use and relief of the poor and for other pious and charitable uses within the parish of St. Giles. The endowment consists of two shops and houses known as Nos. 40 and 40a, Abington Street, together with the rent of £1 per annum received from the 'Vine' Inn. The charity of Thomas Stone was founded by deed dated 31 Eliz., 1589. The endowment consists of 5 houses known as Nos. 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28, Wood Street. The trusts of the charity were similar to those of George Coldwell's charity.

Owen Dodden, by will dated 26 July 1615, gave £100, the income to be given to the poor of the parish of St. Giles. The money was invested in the purchase of a dwelling house known as No. 64a, Abingdon Street, Northampton. The house was sold in 1913 and the proceeds invested in £533 4s. 8d. Consols in the name of the Official Trustees.

Nicholas Rothwell in 1658 gave the sum of £100 to the Mayor of Northampton, the interest to be distributed among the poor of the parish of St. Giles and for placing out poor boy apprentices. The money was invested in the purchase of land at Duston containing about 32 acres.

By a deed dated 6 Apr. 1802 the several properties comprised in the before-mentioned charities were conveyed to 15 trustees or feoffees. Under the trusts of this deed the income of the Feoffment Estates is to be applied as follows:—To the vicar of St. Giles the annual sum of £15; to the clerk and sexton the annual sums of £2 and £2 3s. 4d. respectively; to apply the residue for the benefit of the poor of the parish and for such other pious and charitable uses within the parish as the trustees should think proper. The gross income of the charities in the year ending 1925 was about £620. It was distributed in accordance with the directions contained in the deed, the trustees giving a donation of £50 to the funds of the General Hospital and sums of £15 each to the funds of St. Giles', St. Edmund's, St. Michael's and St. Gabriel's Sunday Schools.

The charities are administered by 15 trustees appointed under the provisions of the deed of 6 Apr. 1802. When their number is reduced to 7 or less new trustees are appointed by the surviving trustees.

Arthur Goodday, by will dated 13 Jan. 1692, gave a close of garden ground at Northampton and a rentcharge of £5 per annum issuing out of No. 2, Ambush Street, Northampton. The garden ground was sold in 1859, and the endowment now consists of £1,841 4s. 2d. Consols with the Official Trustees producing £46 0s. 4d. annually, and the rentcharge of £5. Under the directions contained in the will the rentcharge is paid to the vicar of St. Giles and the remainder of the funds distributed to the poor of the parish in clothing and bread. The charity is administered by the trustees of the Feoffment Estates.

William Brooks Gates, by will proved in the Principal Registry 16 May 1876, gave £200 upon trust, the income to be given towards defraying the expenses of the parish church of St. Giles and schools. The endowment of the charity for the church now consists of £106 4s. 10d. Consols with the Official Trustees producing £2 13s. annually, which is applied by the vicars and churchwardens as above.

The Northamptonshire Orphanage for Girls stands in St. Giles' Street. It originated in the Northamptonshire Servants Training Institution which was founded at Wootton in 1858, removed to St. James' Street, Northampton, in 1861, and to the Horse Market in 1867. In 1868 it was merged into the Northamptonshire Orphanage for Girls, then in process of formation, and in 1870 moved to the premises in St. Giles Street which it now occupies—291 girls have been trained at the home. (fn. 1)

William Stratford, by will dated 16 July 1753, gave a sum of £500, which was laid out in the purchase of an estate at Denton in 1755. The estate was sold and the proceeds invested in £794 13s. 7d. Victoria Government 3 per cent. Consolidated Inscribed Stock in the name of the Official Trustees, and forms the present endowment of the charity. The income, amounting to £27 16s. 2d. annually, is distributed to the poor of the parishes of St. Giles, St. Peter and St. Sepulchre. Each parish receives about £9 5s. yearly, which is distributed by the minister and churchwardens of each respective parish.

The charity of Miss C. E. Hyndman was founded by deeds dated in 1836 and 1842, which provided that the interest on £224 13s. 3d. Consols should be applied towards defraying expenses in connexion with the repair of St. Katherine's Church. This amount is now with the Official Trustees, and produces £5 12s. 4d. yearly, which is applied by the churchwardens towards church expenses.

The Rev. Robert William Stoddart, by will proved 16 Aug. 1898, gave to the rector and churchwardens of St. Peter's £100 for investment, the income to be distributed among the poor of the parish. The endowment now consists of £92 9s. 8d. Consols with the Official Trustees, producing £2 6s. annually.

The origin of the Church Estate Charity is unknown. By an indenture dated 20 Dec. 18 James I (1620) properties in Northampton were conveyed to the churchwardens, the rents to be applied towards the repair and expenses of the church. The properties were sold in 1911 and the proceeds invested in £1,156 1s. 8d. India 3½ per cent. stock in the name of the Official Trustees. The interest amounts to £40 9s. 4d. yearly.

Nicholas Rothwell, who died in 1658, gave by his will £100, the income to be applied towards the relief of the poor of the parish of St. Sepulchre. This sum was invested in the purchase of a close of land at Northampton which was sold in 1875 and the proceeds invested in £1,168 13s. 3d. Consols with the Official Trustees, the present endowment of the charity. The charity is regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 8 Mar. 1918, and the income, amounting to £29 4s. 4d. annually, is applied by the trustees (of whom the churchwarden of St. Sepulchre is a trustee ex officio) for the benefit of the poor.

Footnotes

1 Inf. from Miss L. H. Wake, late Hon. Sec.