The Roman Catholic Church of St. Andrew was
built in 1853 through the efforts of the Revd.
Bernard Shanley near the junction of Union Road
and Hills Road. It was intended to meet the needs
of the Irish workmen who had recently come to
Barnwell. It was designed by A. W. Pugin, and
Wiseman preached at the consecration. In 1890 the
church of Our Lady and the English Martyrs was
built a short distance away at the junction of Lensfield Road and Hills Road, and the site of St.
Andrew's was used for the extension of the Roman
Catholic school in Union Road. (fn. 36) The site of the
new church was given by the Duke of Norfolk, (fn. 37) and
the church was built at the expense of Mrs. Y. M. L.
Lyne-Stephens, who also left £5,000 for its maintenance. (fn. 38) The church is widely known for its ring of
eight bells with a ninth for tune-playing. There is also
a church dedicated to St. Lawrence in High Street,
Chesterton. St. Edmund's House, founded under a
trust deed of 1898, was established on a site given by
the Duke of Norfolk as a hostel for future priests
attending the University.
Although the religious tests were removed in the
mid-19th century, Roman Catholics had been debarred in 1867 by their own ecclesiastical authorities
from attending Oxford and Cambridge. The necessary permission was not granted until 1895. In 1899
the Cambridge University Catholic Association
rented rooms in Green Street for the use of a chaplain to Roman Catholic undergraduates. Several
houses were leased for the university chaplaincy
until the 'Black Swan' public house in Guildhall
Street, with the billiard rooms and dance hall adjoining it, was purchased as a permanent centre in
1924. These buildings were adapted and renamed
'Fisher House', and the chapel, which had originally
been a billiard room, was opened on 4 May 1925,
the feast of Blessed John Fisher. Part of the buildings
continued to be let out until in 1951 they were
converted into a library and club-room, the
former club-room being fitted out as an additional
chapel. (fn. 39)
|| Kelly's Dir. Cambs. (1933); see below, p. 144.
|| Atkinson, Cambridge Described, 177–8.
|| Char. Com. files.
|| Camb. Univ. Catholic Assoc., Ann. Rep. 1924–5;
H. O. Evennett, 'The Cambridge Prelude to 1895', Dublin
Review, Apr. 1946, and 'Catholics and the Universities', in
The English Catholics, 1850–1950, ed. Bishop G. A. Beck.
Both Monsignor A. N. Gilbey and Mr. Evennett have
given valuable help in compiling this paragraph.