ST. CATHARINE'S COLLEGE
Foundation and Early History.
St. Catharine's College. Gules a Catherine wheel or. [Recorded by the heralds, 1684]
Catharine's College (fn. 1) was founded by Robert Woodlark (or Wodelarke), Provost of King's College, on
St. Catharine's day, 25 November 1473. Until 1860 it was
known as Catharine Hall. The
site was the north-west of the
present court, and the front faced
Milne Street, now Queens' Lane.
The whole of the island site
formed by Queens' Lane, Silver
Street, Trumpington Street, and
King's Lane with the exception
of a short strip north of the Bull
Hotel has been acquired by the
College in small lots at various
The old buildings were enlarged by additions in 1517, 1610,
1611, 1622, and 1630. The last,
Bull or Walnut-tree Court, is the only part of the additions still surviving; of red brick relieved by stonework
it fixed the style adopted in the great rebuilding
scheme of the 17th century, in fact that of all later
developments. Poorly constructed, probably of wood
and stone, the original buildings soon fell into decay,
and, the cost of repair being heavy, in 1673 they
were, with the exception of Bull Court, pulled down
and gradually replaced by the modern court, the last
addition being the chapel in 1704.
The large benefaction of Mrs. Ramsden resulted
in the building, some 50 years later, of a and b
staircases, and in the laying out of the forecourt,
which was planted with elms, and now became the
front of the College instead of Queens' Lane. Mrs.
Ramsden wished the Trumpington Street front to
be the site of her new buildings, and such a plan
was in the air 70 years earlier, as may be seen from
Loggan's print of 1688. Rejected for financial
reasons, the scheme was revived in 1913, only to be
abandoned on artistic grounds. The Master's Lodge
was built in 1875, while the years 1930 and 1935 saw
the erection of Hobson's Building and Johns Building. Woodlark Building, a block corresponding to
Hobson's Building, was erected in 1951 on the site
of the old porter's lodge, making the College archi-
tecturally complete. Several houses in Trumpington
Street, and the old Bull Hotel, are now also part of
the College precincts.
The founder himself drew up statutes for the
government of his College, and in the still-existing
list of his possessions, drawn up in his own handwriting and known as the Black Memorial, he gives
some of his ideals for the new foundation, and a few
of the difficulties in the way of their realization. A
small society of priests, whose duties were to pray
for their founder, and to complete their education
by a study of theology and philosophy, medicine and
law being expressly excluded, was the original form
of what is now a great teaching institution. Undergraduates were not contemplated either by Woodlark or by his immediate successors. His College
was for seniors, and the few juniors admitted on
sufferance, probably not more than four at first,
performed menial duties in return for their privilege.
When paid servants took their place cannot be
exactly determined. There was a student cook and a
student butler in 1558, but they had been replaced
by servants 100 years later; the books of account
show student porters as late as 1743. The first record
of a paid servant is in a deed of 1517, appointing a
Pre-Reformation bequests were numerous, and all
were subject to the condition that religious offices
were to be performed by the College for the donor
or his relatives and friends. They were intended for
the improvement of the College or for the foundation of fellowships; only two, that establishing the
Bible-clerkship in 1506 and that setting up the office
of butler in 1514, contemplate anything similar to
a modern exhibition.
Woodlark's ideal lasted for some 60 or 70 years.
It certainly proved a success, for in that period three
fellows of St. Catharine's were elected to Masterships of Cambridge colleges, Edmund Natures
(Clare 1514), William Capon (Jesus 1516), and
Robert Swinburn (Pembroke 1534). A deed dated
1537 shows the liberal and enlightened policy pursued by the College during this period. In it Edward
Moore, fellow of the College, was granted leave of
absence for three or four years, with all his emoluments, in order to study abroad. This is a very early,
possibly the first, instance of a travelling studentship.
With the Reformation
monastic ideals became unpopular, and financial
difficulties led the College to increase its income by
becoming a teaching body. An interesting document,
the original of which must have been drawn up
about 1550, outlines the studies and discipline of
junior students for four years of residence, the
officer in charge being called praelector. Numbers
now began to increase. The list in the University
Registry gives 18 as the membership of the College
in 1558. In 1564 there were 21 members, in 1573, 32,
in 1621, 56, and in 1641, 102. Scholarships, not
fellowships, were now founded by benefactors; the
first was given in 1587, to be followed by others at
various dates between 1610 and 1743. Fellowships
were founded in 1473, 1478, 1503, 1506, and 1515,
after which there were none founded except byefellowships until 1919. These two lists bear eloquent
testimony to the change from Woodlark's ideal of a
learned and religious society to the modern ideal of
a body of young students served and educated by a
few teaching fellows.
New statutes were imposed in 1549, but the
constant interference of the Crown in University
matters seems to have affected St. Catharine's very
little, although the commission of Queen Elizabeth I,
1559, probably removed Dr. Cosyn from the Mastership, and on 28 March 1577 a letter of the same
Sovereign appointed Edmund Hownde as Master.
Within, the College was stirring to new life. The
records show a praiseworthy effort to improve the
corporate finances and their administration, and, as
has been said, numbers were steadily rising in the
second half of the 16th century. On the other hand,
there are signs that the spirit of contentiousness,
always the evil genius of St. Catharine's, was already
becoming a serious hindrance to development.
From 1580 to 1582 the Master was engaged in a
struggle with John Furmary, who, he said, had forfeited his fellowship by absence from College and by
acceptance of ecclesiastical preferment inconsistent
with the statutes. Ten years later another quarrel
occurred with four fellows, apparently in connexion
with the Master's expulsion of Robert Cansfield,
another fellow, for a similar reason. Then in March
1598 the fellows quarrelled over the election of a new
Master, and the dispute was not settled until Queen
Elizabeth I appointed John Overall.
Such were the birth-pangs which preceded a very
happy time in the history of the College. But before
this happiness could fully mature, another quarrel
occurred. At this period the business affairs of St.
Catharine's were partly in the hands of the Master,
who apparently was not subject to audit. Between
1610 and 1623 fresh benefactions were received and
new buildings were being erected. The Master held
the strings, and the holder of the office in 1623, John
Hills, was unbusiness-like, unpopular, and untruthful. The fellows, probably under the able guidance
of Thomas Buck, the steward (i.e. bursar), revolted.
The dispute was finally settled in the University
Court, the Master being forced to pay back all
College money in his possession, and to place in the
treasury an inventory of all College property kept in
the Master's Lodge.
The Great Rebuilding.
Hills died in 1626,
and for 60 years the College enjoyed a spell of great
prosperity, broken only by the ejection of the whole
society in 1650 for refusing to take the 'Engagement'
to support the House of Commons without King and
House of Lords. A succession of able Masters,
Sibbes, Brownrigg, Spurstow, Lightfoot, Eachard,
Dawes, and a really remarkable body of hard-working fellows, carried the College to a height of success
never attained again until recent years. The College
books show that nearly all of the fellows undertook
tutorial duties, while several incidents are recorded
tending to show the loyalty and good feeling that
animated the society. This excellent spirit expressed
itself in a determination to rebuild the College, a
work begun in 1673 and completed in 1704 when
the chapel was consecrated. The most active worker
in this project was John Eachard, Master 1675–97.
The archives of St. Catharine's supply full information about the methods used to raise the
money for this rebuilding. No real estate was sold,
but much College plate was, and fetched a mere
trifle. Subscriptions, loans, and especially borrowings
on annuities, were the chief means employed. The
last might have caused considerable embarrassment
had not many of the annuitants after a time given
release. Eachard's ways were perhaps risky, but he
was a tremendous worker and succeeded in his
efforts to rebuild the College.
The Great Decline.
The 18th century was
for St. Catharine's a period of steady decline both in
prestige and in numbers. The number of freshmen,
which had been usually between 20 and 30 during
the 17th century, only once, in 1772, was above 9
from 1733 to 1807, and this exception is due to the
magnificent benefaction of Mrs. Ramsden, who by
her will, dated 3 November 1743, founded 6 fellowships and 10 scholarships, and erected 12 new sets of
chambers to house the new-comers.
Had it not been for this gift St. Catharine's, a
small and poor foundation, would never have survived the continuous fall in values since the foundation; even with it so good a judge as G. F. Browne,
Bishop of Bristol, thought in 1900 that amalgamation
with another college would have been wise. But in
spite of its munificence the gift proved for a time
a failure, because of the precise but short-sighted
Rules and Orders that Mrs. Ramsden insisted on
drawing up for her new foundation. The result was,
in very truth, a house divided against itself. The
new régime, which came into effect with the election
of six Skerne fellows, as Mrs. Ramsden wished her
foundation to be called, on 10 November 1772,
resulted in a bipartite society of six foundation
fellows, with full powers of government, combined
with six bye-fellows in receipt of a fixed stipend but
with no powers in the management of affairs. The
financial side of the matter may be best judged by
considering the fact that in 1773 a Skerne fellow
received annually, under Mrs. Ramsden's Rules and
Orders, £52, while a foundation fellow received his
statutory stipend of £5 13s. 4d. along with a dividend
of a residue of college moneys when all statutory
demands had been met. So, as against the Skerne
fellow's £52, a foundation fellow received, as stipend
and dividend, £75 16s. 3d. in 1773, £51 13s. 2d. in
1778, and £66 8s. 7d. in 1791. Later on some addition
to the Skerne fellows' income was made from the
surplus of the Ramsden income. It is obvious that
there was here the material of much misunderstanding, which resulted in many disputes and
quarrels from 1777 to 1854, ending only with the
amalgamation of these foundations under the statutes
of 1860. These quarrels were rendered more harmful to the two foundations by the long feud, beginning in 1790, between two sections of the foundation
fellows. This feud began with the dispute about the
election of a successor to Philip Gardner in 1790 and
did not end until 1809.
Then occurred a revival of the
College under the guidance of Procter and Philpott
(1799–1861), when annual entries rose from none in
1800, 1801, and 1802, to 33 in 1828, with an average
of about 20 from 1800 to 1850.
In 1861, however, there took place the greatest
disaster in the history of the College, from which
it did not recover until after the First World War.
The elevation of Philpott to the see of Worcester
created a vacancy in the Mastership. There were
five voters, two of whom, Charles Kirkby Robinson
and Francis James Jameson, were candidates. Jameson and another voted for Robinson, two for
Jameson, but Robinson, following an old tradition
of the College, voted for himself, and so secured the
election. Unfortunately there was some misunderstanding, the nature of which is still a mystery, and
Jameson considered himself aggrieved. Instead of
exercising his right of appealing to the Visitor, he
began, or allowed his friends to begin, an agitation
among members of the University. This he did in
spite of the oath he had taken at his election to a
fellowship not to divulge secrets which if made
public might be to the detriment of the society. It is
surprising that the University took part in a domestic
dispute with which it had no concern, but interfere
it did, condemned Robinson, and 'sent him to
Coventry'. A pamphlet war ensued lasting for several
years, and the College rapidly declined in popularity
and efficiency because of the inferiority complex
created by the treatment it underwent. The disaster
was all the worse because of the length of Robinson's
term of office. He continued as Master until his
death in 1909, and the condition of St. Catharine's
during the later years of this long Mastership was
deplorable. The efforts of the tutors between 1892
and 1895, while resulting in the acquisition of a
playing-field and in the restoration of the chapel,
were powerless to remove the aversion everywhere
shown to the College, and at length they gave way
to apathy and inefficiency. The undergraduates
shared the general odium, and not unnaturally came
to be drawn in great part from an inferior stratum
and to fall in number. In spite of this, many if not
most of them struggled hard to uphold the honour
of their College, and it may be said with truth that
they were not altogether unsuccessful. Several of
those still alive are gratefully conscious of the beneficial effect upon their characters of this struggle
Dr. Johns, who succeeded to the Mastership in
1909, resolutely took in hand the work of uprooting
the old and planting the new, but the difficulty of
the task, and the disappointments caused by the
First World War, proved too severe a strain, and he
died, worn out by his efforts, in 1920. He was a
pioneer to whom the present St. Catharine's owes
its very existence. Johns was followed by Bishop
Drury, an old man, but with such a spiritual character that the 'Robinson complex' became a thing of
the past. During the Mastership of Drury the Act of
Parliament of 1714, whereby a canonry at Norwich
Cathedral had been attached to the office, was discussed by the society, which finally secured another
Act dissociating the two appointments. Accordingly
in 1927 was elected the first lay Master, F. M. Rushmore, who as post-war tutor had been responsible
for the rebirth of the College in 1919.
In recent years accommodation for undergraduates
has been increased by the addition of Hobson Building in 1930, Johns Building in 1935, and Woodlark
Building in 1951. Baths and similar conveniences
have been liberally supplied wherever possible; a
senior combination room, on the site of the old
choir room, has made it possible to turn the old
combination room into a gallery-annex to the hall.
It is difficult to describe the transformation that
has come over St. Catharine's since 1918. Numbers
have multiplied fourfold. The number of fellows has
more than doubled. Success in honours examinations
has increased and is increasing, while the triumphs
in sport, especially Rugby football, have been phenomenal. In 1937 the captains of University Rugby,
of Association football, and of cricket were St.
The founder's statutes were replaced
by the Edwardian statutes of 1549. Woodlark decreed that his fellows were to be clergy, and to
confine their studies to divinity. They lost their fellowships if they entered a religious order, or if they came
into possession of property yielding 10 marks a year.
Rules were given for the regulation of the fellows'
studies, but none for those of undergraduates,
although some fellow commoners were allowed. The
annual stipend of the Master was £5, of a fellow £4.
The Edwardian statutes increased these stipends
to £6 and £5 respectively, with 8d. a week for a
Master's servant. Of the fellows, now six in number,
two at least must be priests, and one a deacon. The
president, the only officer other than the Master
to be mentioned in the founder's statutes, was to
receive 6s. 8d. as his annual stipend. A senescallus seu
receptor was now appointed, with an annual stipend
of 40s., to prepare an annual audit on St. Catharine's
day. These statutes omit everything peculiar to the
Church of Rome.
There was no alteration in these statutes until 1860,
when a new code amalgamated the original foundation and that of Mrs. Ramsden, abolished bye-fellowships, legalized a dividend of £300 a year, and raised
the number of fellows to a possible nine. No restrictions were imposed upon fellows' studies. In 1882
new statutes were imposed whereby the statutory
number of fellows was reduced to six and the dividend to £250. The tutorial side of College work was
recognized. One fellowship was to be professorial,
and any fellow could declare to the Master in writing
his wish to become a supernumerary. Permission for
the first time was given to elect to honorary fellowships.
St. Catharine's in 1921 put itself under new
statutes at its own request. These among other
changes set up a pension scheme, gave greater freedom in the granting and renewal of fellowships, and
permitted election to supernumerary fellowships.
In 1926, when new statutes came into force for all
colleges, slight alterations made in the statutes of
1921 were all that was necessary to bring them into
line with those of the rest of the University. The
dividend was raised to £300. The present statutes
were granted in 1953.
The washing and repair of the main
court carried out in 1951–2 enabled visitors to form
an estimate of the skill, one might say genius, of
the 17th-century builders. What may be called
the pattern of all subsequent developments was the
staircase in Walnut-tree Court, erected about 1630.
Its characteristic 'notes' are red brick with stonework, three stories and dormers, but with no eaves.
The woodwork is very good, particularly the newel
posts and the carved dark oak over the fireplace in
the south room on the first floor. This block cannot
be seen from the main court, being screened by the
north side, which contains the buttery, hall, library,
The appearance of the main court, which is built
on three sides only, is very impressive. The features
of its pattern are reproduced, but improved, or rather
ennobled. The three sides are higher than Walnuttree Court, particularly on the north and south; the
shape of the windows is varied; there are eaves, and
the archway leading into Queens' Lane, which was
the entry to the College down to the middle of the
18th century, is a gap in a beautiful stone section
stretching from the ground to the roof. This section
is divided into two parts, each of which is flanked by
two pillars. The dates of the building are: hall 1675,
old lodge, c and d about 1679, chapel 1704, a and b
1757. These form an harmonious whole with subtle
differences that enable the expert to tell the order in
which they were built. In 1869 an oriel window was
added to the south-east end of the hall, and the
windows of this part of the court were taken out and
replaced by others with Gothic tracery.
The fourth side of the court is open to the north
end of Trumpington Street, separated from it by a
low wall with railings, which were restored in 1952
along with the handsome gate in the centre. The
forecourt, which used to be planted with elms, is
flanked by two blocks of very recent date, 1930 and
1951; Mr. G. L. Kennedy was the architect. In 1935
Johns Building, running south from b, was erected
under the direction of Mr. H. L. Mullett. James
Essex carried out the additions made in 1757, but
the genius responsible for the features of the main
court was Robert Grumbold, who was a masterbuilder working under Wren when the latter was
engaged in Cambridge. The beauty of Grumbold's
design is obvious at a glance, but it is only after a
close study of details that a true appreciation is
Included within the College precincts are the
former Bull Hotel and also certain houses in Trumpington Street.
The chapel walls and roof were completed
by 1676, but want of funds prevented the furnishing
of the interior until 1704. It is a good example of
Queen Anne architecture, designed by Robert Grumbold, though the Controller of the King's Works,
William Talman, was consulted. The only specially
remarkable features, however, are the fine oak
panelling by John Austin with the carvings by
Francis Woodward of the same date, and the organ,
a splendid instrument, originally by Messrs. Norman
and Beard, installed when the chapel furnishings
were partly renewed in 1894, but rebuilt by Messrs.
Harrison and Harrison in 1936. There are three
stained-glass windows of recent date in the chapel
and one in the ante-chapel. Buried in the chapel are
two Masters, and John Addenbrooke, the founder
of the hospital. The original chapel was in the
centre of the lawn, and the present one is on the site
of the stables of Hobson, the carrier, after whom the
north flanking block is named.
Down to 1945 there was little in the
library, which extends over the hall, except a few
early printed books (fn. 2) and the standard works which
were likely to interest the clerics who formed the
majority of the fellows before 1860. But after the
Second World War the librarian removed the useless
lumber, using the space thus left to house the old
junior library. So today the library is definitely one
for undergraduate use, and the war memorial took
the form of suitable furniture to adapt this part of
the old library to its new use. The greatest of the old
benefactors was Thomas Sherlock, who gave £600
for the renovation of the library in 1756, and increased this sum by £21 9s. 1d. in 1760. He left his
books to the College, with land sufficient to pay £20
a year to the librarian scholar and £4 a year for his
rooms. It must have been in connexion with this gift
that James Essex was employed by the College at
great expense to lay out the library in its present
Perhaps the most interesting thing in the library
is the cabinet of drugs presented to the College
by John Addenbrooke. It contains some geological
specimens and a fine collection of materia medica.
With the exception of Vigani's chest of about the
same period which is in Queens' College, this is the
only one of its kind in Cambridge.
The rectory of Coton was a gift to
the College from the founder. Ridgewell vicarage
(Essex) was bought in 1542 and augmented in 1816.
The rectories of Gimingham and Trunch (Norf.)
were given to the College by John Duke, of Kelsale
(Suff.) in 1592. The only other living in the possession of the College is that of Little Shelford, which
was bought in 1879 out of money left in 1842 by
Charles William Burrell.
There are many among the
alumni of St. Catharine's who have given distinguished service to church and state. John Bradford, who by special grace of the Senate was granted
the degree of M.A. after one year's residence, being
in fact in all but name an advanced student, was
burnt at Smithfield on 1 July 1555 for his views on the
Lord's Supper. James Shirley (1596–1666) was a
dramatist of some note, popular in his own day, but
best known for his magnificent poem 'Death the
Leveller'. John Ray (1627–1705) became a fellow
of Trinity, serving that college as Greek lecturer,
mathematical lecturer, humanity reader, praelector,
junior dean, and steward. He made a name for himself as a botanist, his botanical research being so
outstanding that a Ray Society was established in
1844. John Strype (1643–1737) was a diligent collector of historical material, dealing with the Tudor
period, which is now in the British Museum. Lord
Cutts was a lieutenant of Marlborough, who earned
the nickname of 'the salamander' for his reckless
bravery at the battle of Namur. A versatile man, he
represented Cambridgeshire in five successive Parliaments, and Newport (I.W.) from 1702 to his
death. He also wrote what has been described as 'not
ungrateful verse' and Richard Steele was his private
secretary. John Addenbrooke, the founder of the
Cambridge hospital, was bursar in 1709 and graduated Doctor of Physic in the academic year 1710–11,
in spite of the existing statutes, which limited the
studies of fellows to 'theology, philosophy and the
other arts'. He was probably the first fellow of
the College to study medicine for a degree. Edward
Capell (1713–81) was a devoted student of Shakespeare, who published besides Notes and Various
Readings to Shakespeare (1779) a ten-volume edition
of the dramas in 1768. Henry Philpott, senior
wrangler in 1829, was Master from 1845 to 1861,
when he became Bishop of Worcester. In some ways
he was the greatest man educated at St. Catharine's;
very businesslike and efficient he ruled the College
wisely, and as Vice-Chancellor did much to reorganize the management of the University at a time
when the scope of its teaching was rapidly being
George Forrest Browne (1833–1930) carried on the
organizing work that Philpott began. He was secretary to the Local Examinations Syndicate from 1870
to 1892, editor of the University Reporter for 21
years, served for a long time on the Council of the
Senate and as secretary to the University Commission of 1877–81. He also did good work on
various boards and syndicates. In 1887 he was
elected to the Disney Professorship of Art and
Archaeology. In 1895 he became Bishop of Stepney
and in 1897 Bishop of Bristol. A prolific author in
many fields he published in 1902 a very readable
history of St. Catharine's. This is a remarkable
record, and in 1930 a very old member of the College,
in reply to a request for a subscription, wrote: 'For
the sake of gentleman Browne, the best proctor ever
known in 1870, as all undergrads admitted, because
he always caught his man fair and square and treated
him properly afterwards, I am sending you £1. He
became a bishop later, but even that could not
Norman Moore was a distingished physician who
worked for many years at St. Bartholomew's Hospital. From 1918 he was President of the Royal
College of Physicians, and represented it on the
General Medical Council. In 1914 he delivered the
Rede Lecture, and was created a baronet in 1919.
He was also a scholar and author, writing no fewer
than 468 lives for the Dictionary of National Biography. John Neville Figgis, scholar and theologian,
did much valuable work in English and Church
history, and was sub-editor of Lord Acton's Cambridge Modern History. He was never a fellow of St.
Catharine's, but in 1909 was elected to an honorary
fellowship. His most interesting work to the ordinary
reader is The Gospel and Human Needs (1909), his
Hulsean Lectures. George Gordon Coulton was perhaps the finest historian of his generation. He wrote
many works on medieval times, especially on church
history. He also distinguished himself as a teacher
and a lecturer. He died in 1947, at the age of 88.
John Withers, a King's man who founded a celebrated firm of London solicitors, was elected a fellow
in 1920 because of his services to the College in
business matters. In 1926 he became a University
burgess, and in 1929 was knighted. He died in 1939
after being for many years a great friend and helper
to both King's and St. Catharine's.
St. Catharine's has a small collection
exceptionally rich in good portraits of the latter part
of the 17th and the earlier 18th centuries, to a few
of which particular interest attaches. (fn. 3) The earliest
portrait is perhaps a 16th- or early 17th-century
picture on a wooden panel of John Gostlin, Regius
Professor of Physic and Master of Caius, who left by
will in 1626 the Black Bull Inn, later the Bull Hotel.
The portrait of the founder was painted by a Mr.
Freeman in 1772 for 12 guineas; the costume is later
than that of Woodlark's period. Of the other portraits the most interesting are: Henry Burrough by
T. Gainsborough, Richard Farmer, attributed to
Romney, Lord Cutts, attributed to Kneller, and a
portrait of a boy, probably Charles II, by an unknown artist. The portraits of recent Masters are all
good likenesses and artistic paintings, but perhaps
the finest picture belonging to St. Catharine's today
is a group of Flemish artists in a picture gallery. It
was painted by Gonzales Cocx (1618–84).
At the time of the 17th-century rebuilding
St. Catharine's sold much of its plate, presumably the
finest pieces, to ease the strain on its finances. During the 18th and early 19th centuries the rest was
melted down or exchanged for new pieces which were
more serviceable or valuable. The result is that no
piece is earlier than 1700, but there are 30 pieces the
dates of which extend from 1702 to 1760. The plate
sold before 1700 must have been valuable, or at least
interesting, if we may judge from the extant inventories. Plate then consisted almost entirely of
gifts from fellow commoners and friends, and continued to be such down to quite recent times. Some
of the plate was lent to the Master and fellows for
their private use, in particular beakers or 'cans', as
they are usually called, handleless pots containing
about a pint.
Of the 30 pieces mentioned above the following
deserve special attention: Rosewater ewer and bowl,
33 oz. and 17 in. in diameter and 66 oz., maker
Wm. Fadery, London, 1703. These, according to the
College Order Book, 26 September 1704, were in
exchange for the tankards of Sir John Rouse, Sir
Charles Caesar and Mr. Kemp. ('Mr.' in the College
records means fellow commoner.) Tankard with lid,
30 oz., maker Jos. Barbitt, London, 1702. Rosewater
bowl, 16¾ in. in diameter, 54 oz., maker Anthony
Nelme, London, 1709. Two sauce boats, each 30 oz.,
maker's name illegible, London, 1744. Two small
candlesticks, each 22½ oz., and snuffer tray, 7 oz.,
maker Jas. Gould, London, 1732.
Arms and Seal.
York Herald in 1934 informed
the bursar that the correct arms are, Gules, a
Catharine wheel Or. There are eight spokes on the
wheel with eight knives on the rim as continuations
of the spokes. In the records of the College of Arms
the number of spokes and knives varies, but York
Herald's opinion agrees with the arms as given in
John Ivory's Foundation of the University of Cambridge (1672) and with the stone carving over the
Queens' Lane archway.
The College seal, of silver and slightly defaced, is
probably the one used by the founder. It represents
St. Catharine kneeling, with the wheel on her back.
The legend probably is: sigillvm collegii sive
avle scte katerine virginis de Cātebrigia.
Masters of St. Catharine's College
Robert Woodlark (or Wodelarke): 1473.
Richard Roche: 1475.
John Tapton: 1480.
John Wardall: 1487.
Richard Balderston: 1506.
Thomas Green: 1507.
Reginald Baindrigge: 1529.
Edwin Sandys: 1547.
Edmund Cosyn: 1554.
John May: 1559.
Edmund Hownde: 1577.
John Overall: 1598.
John Hills: 1607.
Richard Sibbes: 1626.
Ralph Brownrigg: 1635.
William Spurstow: 1645.
John Lightfoot: 1650.
John Eachard: 1675.
Sir William Dawes, Bart.: 1697.
Thomas Sherlock: 1714.
Thomas Crosse: 1719.
Edward Hubbard: 1736.
Kenrick Prescot: 1741.
Lowther Yates: 1779.
Joseph Procter: 1799.
Henry Philpott: 1845.
Charles Kirkby Robinson: 1861.
Claude Hermann Walter Johns: 1909.
Thomas Wortley Drury: 1920.
Frederick Margetson Rushmore: 1927.
Henry John Chayter: 1933.
Donald Portway: 1946.
Edwin Ernest Rich: 1 July 1957.