Outlying villages
Introduction

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

K. J. Allison (editor)

Year published

1969

Supporting documents

Page

459

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Outlying villages: Introduction', A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 1: The City of Kingston upon Hull (1969), pp. 459. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66792 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

OUTLYING VILLAGES

The parishes of Drypool, Marfleet, and Sculcoates, and most of Sutton parish, have been absorbed within the borough of Hull in the 19th and 20th centuries. Much of their area has been built over, and socially and economically they have long been inseparable from the city. Sutton alone retained a recognizable village centre in the 1960s, but on the south and east the advancing suburbs had already reached it. Certain aspects of the history of these four parishes are touched upon in this volume in the general account of 'Modern Hull', and their churches, nonconformity, schools, and charities are described in other articles. Such articles as those dealing with docks and public services also necessarily comprehend these parishes.

The four villages were, nevertheless, distinct communities, of a largely rural character, until their absorption in the borough—Drypool and Sculcoates in 1837, Marfleet in 1882, and Sutton in 1929. Some account must therefore be given of their earlier history, especially of their topography, land ownership, agricultural history, and, where possible, local government.