Temp. Edw. II. ?—Regulations made by the City of Lincoln for the
wool trade. Very clearly written on a parchment to which the seal of
the city was once attached, but of which seal only long green silk cords
with tassels now remain as the tokens.
"[P] urueu est, ordinéé (fn. 1) et establi par le Commun Cunsail de la Cite
de Nicole pur lenprument nostre seigniour le Rey de Engleterre de sa
custume de leynes et pur le profit de meismes la Cite, ke les leynes de
Lyndeseye, de Kesteuen et du Clay soient ensemblemys ensem vendues.
Et les leynes de autre paiis oueokes les leynes auandites ne soient
medleez en nule maniere. Mes soient celes laynes vendues chescun par
sey, ke point en ad pur tele que ele est. Et ky le face et soit atteynt,
les Baylifs de la Cite prendrunt a chescun sack xx sol., la moyte a la
féérme le Rey, et lautre moyte a les Cytezeines pur les fraunchises
mayntenyr. Uncor est ordinéé des meismes ceous qe nul face trier ne
ne horsprendre la bone leyne de la meene. Mes ausi come il la chat en
le paiis, issi la mustre as marchaunds, et ensi soit vendue en cuche et en
sack sur meismes la payne auandite. Uncor est ordinéé qe nul mar-
chaund de la Cite de laynes de Lindeseye, de Ketsteuen (sic) et du Clay
ne face mettre par luy ne par nul autre en cuche ne en sack coth ne
garth ne vylain tuysun sur la payne auandite. Ne ke nul de la Cyte
ne autre vende layne a forain marchand, si noun par la trone le Roy.
Et ky le fet et soit atteynt, le Baylif prendre a chescune pierre douz
deners en la furme auandite. Des forayns marchaunds venaunz en la
Cyte, est ordinéé ke par la ou il achat laynes et enport la clef de la
meisone ou la layne gist cum custume est des marchaunds, ke cele
leyne soit la sowe cum son propre chatel sanz cuntredit del vendur ou
del achatur. Et si nul destaunz ou conteck soit entre eous aul packer
de la layne, soient les choses adrescez et les defautes amendez, si poynt en
a, par la vewe de prohdesomes [prudhommes] ke a ceo sunt assignez
ordine et iurez par la Communaute. De ceous ke achatent peaus de
berbiz de la feste seinte Margarete [20 July] desques a la seint Michel,
purveu est et ordinee as tiele leyne desor enauaunt soit vendue cum
auncienement fust; ceo est a sauoyr cum leyne qe est apeléé Crakepullynge et Cobbyngwolle. Et ke nul de la Cyte tele layne oueock
layne cullie de la seint Michel en auaunt ne face mettre ne medler en
tuyson, en cuche ne en sack. Et ky le fet et soit atteynt, a la primere fiey
la layne serra foringéé a la furme le Rey et a les Cytezeyns par ouwel
porciun. Et al autre fiez, la layne serra ars a ses custages deuaunt sa
meisone, cum chose atteynte de fausine. Purveu est ensement ke nul
de la Cyte mustre ne vende laynes en les seysons del an a nul forayn
marchaund, gesques ataunt ke les Cytezeyns éént ordinéé et purueu
ke bon est a fere endroit de lur marchandises pur le pru le. Rey et la
Cyte, ceo est a sauoir ke le iour des Innocens serra lassembléé afere la
purueyaunce pur la marchaundie del hyuer, et la iour de seint Austyn
[26 May] pur la esteé. Et si nul se absent et ne vient mye al assembléé
a les iouz auant nomez, soit amercie a demymark cum est auandit, et sa le
meyns la chose qe serra ordineé serra estable ausi bien pur les absenz
cum pur les presenz. Et si nule face mustrer ou vendre encuntre la
furme auandite, le Baylif prendra a chescon sack xx sol. cum est auantdit. Des abbrokeurs est purueu et ordinee ke ceus ke sunt de la Cyte
soient jurez en tiele furme ke il serrunt feaus et liaus au Rey et a la
Cyte, et ke il liaument celerunt le conseil et les priuetez de la Cyte, et
nul marchaund forayn pur marchander hors de la Cyte ameurount, et
ke nul abbrokeur achate nule manere de merz de nul forain marchand,
fors al oes les Cytezens de la Cyte, sauue les choses tuicchaunz la
feerme le Roy, et qe la ou il trouent leynes en cuche ou hors de cuche
suspecinuse, encontre la furme auandite, facent a sauoir au Gardayn ou
au Mair ou as Baylifs. Et purueu est ke tuz ces poinz auandiz soient
leuz et puppliez apertement dous fiez par an, ceo est asauoir le iour des
Innocenz et de seint Austyn, ke nul de la Cyte les articles auant
nomeez purra desdire."
1455, 34 Hen. VI., 10 Sept.—A very long indenture of an agreement
between the Abbot and convent of St. Mary at York and the Mayor
and citizens of Lincoln, respecting lands claimed by the former as
belonging to their cell of B. Mary Magd. Lands conveyed to the
city (minutely described with their boundaries) are called Bagerholmwong, Seynthughcroft, Styntes, le Hempgarth, with all the lands, tenements, marshes, &c. extending from the south east corner of Calcroft to
the south east corner of Berige close, and at le Blakedike, with rights
of way, power to fell trees, enclose, wall, &c. Lands conveyed to the
abbey are a meadow on the east side of Blakedike, a marsh and lands
on the east side of Lincoln, and a lane and land below the walls on the
site of the cell on the south side; paying for the lane 3s. 4d. annually.
Among the boundaries mentioned are, Blakedikestone; the water of
Wythom; Oldebagerholmegate; Grenepasture; Inland; Gretewelle; a
stone cross near Gretewellegate called Stubcros; Seyntjohneswong; a
stone newly fixed called le Monks' stone; a windmill called Wayermylne; a stone wall called Chiviot wall; Snyke- (and Sneke-) dyke
wall; the land of the Master of the Hospital of H. Innocents; Sparowe
lane; Fynkelstrete; a stone wall lately belonging to the friars lately
called Sekfreris [i.e. Fratres de Sacco] called le Stamp; a causeway
called Stampcause; a stone in Bagerholmwonge called Butstone. Blanks
are left for some measurements of land which have not been filled in.
The seal of the abbey is lost.
1536, 20 May.—Bond from "Tomas" earl of Rutland in 2000l.
that he will abide by the arbitrament of Sir Thomas Audeley, knt.
Lord Chancellor, and master Thomas Cromwell, Chief Secretary to the
King, concerning the rent of 100l. which he claims from the city.
1554, 17 March.—Indenture of sale by John Broxolme, esq., of the
Inner Temple, London, to the Mayor and Commonalty of Lincoln for
the sum of 81l. of his moiety of a rent of 4l. 13s. 4d. from the lands and
tenements of the late gild of St. Anne, which was granted to him and
Thomas Burton, esq. by Sir John Thynne, knt., and Thomas Throgmorton, esq., who had it by grant from K. Edw. VI. dated 19 May,
1558, 4 July.—Release from Henry, earl of Rutland, to the Mayor,
&c. of Lincoln, for the sum of 400 marks, and in exchange for the
rectory and parsonage of Surflet with the advowson, of the annual rent
of 100l. payable to him from the city.
1569–1577, 11–19 Eliz.—A parcel of eighteen deeds relating to the
conveyance of property from Thomas Grantham to the city of Lincoln.
1574, 10 Dec.—Indenture of agreement between Robert Mounson,
one of the Justices of the Common Pleas, and the Mayor and Commonalty of Lincoln, whereby the former—in consideration of the grant to
him of the parsonage of Hanslope, Bucks, for divers years, and in
order that the latter may ever hereafter the more quietly have and
enjoy a conduit or watercourse lately in question, and also for the
desire that the said Robert Mounson hath towards the maintenance of
a free grammar school in perpetuity, if the said mayor, etc., shall so
think it good, as they do well and charitably intend it hereafter if they
may,—covenants to convey to feoffees the site and precinct of the Grey
Friars in Lincoln, with all the houses, etc., to the same belonging;
reserving the use to himself for his life or for twenty years.
1575, 23 Oct.—Deed of sale by Stephen Trymylby, esq., and Katherine his wife to William Goodknappe, Martin Mason, John Wylson,
Edmund Knyght, and Thomas Hanson, of all the cottages lands and
tenements lately belonging to the gild of St. Mary in Wigford.
1576, 18 Jan.—Conveyance of the same by the said William Goodknappe, etc. to the Mayor, etc. and commonalty of Lincoln.
1585, 22 Sept.—Indenture of articles of agreement, by arbitration,
between the Mayor and citizens of Lincoln and Robert Smith of the
Black Monks near the city, respecting a watercourse and conduit passing through the grounds of the said Robert Smith to the city, and the
conduit-pipes, with various lands called the Monks' Leas, the Green
Pasture, &c., belonging to the late cell of the Black Monks, parcel of
the possessions of the dissolved monastery of St. Mary at York.
Signed and sealed by Edward earl of Rutland as umpire and judge as
well as by the parties.
1592.—Fragment, consisting of eight small quarto leaves, of a book
of orders made in 1591 and 1592 respecting a knitting school established by the city, as follows:—
1591, 11 June.—Alderman Morley appointed overseer.
— 8 Oct.—Seven persons who had been appointed to confer
with John Cheseman, the Knitter, draw up certain rules, which
are confirmed. Cheseman, in consideration of 6l. being given him
to discharge his debts, undertakes to set on work in his science
all such as are willing to come to him or are sent by the aldermen,
and to hide nothing from them that belongeth to the knowledge
of the said science. A competent number of discreet women or
men to be found for the purpose of learning. Forty stone of wool
to be provided; Cheseman weekly to take two stone, paying for
the previous week's supply. As many wheels as are needful to
be provided. Scholars offending by absence or otherwise to be
punished as the offence requireth, at the discretion of such as
shall be appointed. Four aldermen to be overseers. Cheseman's
stipend to continue according to the agreement made at his first
coming to the city.
1592, 28 July.—Forty stone of wool to be provided.
— 4 Aug.—Articles of agreement made at the Knitters' house
in St. Saviourgate between John Cheseman and Francis Newby.
1. The said Newby and Jane his wife shall daily repair to Cheseman's house to learn his trade of knitting, spinning, dressing of
wool, and keeping his mill, until well instructed, and shall not absent
themseves without leave. 2. Cheseman to instruct them after the
best manner he can. 3. The said Francis and Jane to have the
oversight and teaching of thirty scholars for this first year, to see
that they do make their work, and work according to their pattern.
4. Cheseman to pay the said Francis and Jane for the first year
40s. 5. The said Francis to have twopence paid him by Cheseman
for every pair of stockings made by the said scholars; and for every
pair which the said Jane or any servant that she shall hire shall
work, being well fashioned, as much as Cheseman doth give to any
other. 6. The said Francis and Jane shall have the benefit and
commodity of amending and footing all stockings which shall be
brought unto them to be amended or footed.
— The same day it is agreed to pay the Knitter 16s. 8d. for
ten wheels which he hath provided, and which he is to maintain;
and the overseers arrange to visit by turns, two every three weeks.
Temp. Eliz.—Inventory of furniture in Metcalf's house called the
"Sarzin's Head," assigned over to Stephen Mason as security for a
debt due to Mr. Robert Chapman of Hull and Mr. Thomas Enderbie.
There are fifteen rooms, with a gallery, and outhouses.
— — Petition to Sir Peter Warburton, knt., and Sir Thomas
Foster, knt., justices of assize in the county of Lincoln, from the
bakers serving the prisoners with bread in the gaol of Lincoln, craving
order to be taken for their payment or else to be released from baking.
The allowance is 40l. a year, at one penny a day for each prisoner, but
the deliverance comes to 60l., the town of Louth refuses to pay
any thing, the petitioners are put to great charge in gathering it in the
parts of Lindsey, and one Mr. Rossiter who hath a great town in his
possession refuseth to give any allowance.
[The two preceding papers were taken out of a roll of paper enveloping the seal of one of the royal charters.]
|1588–1591,||Rolls of recognizances of debts, in accordance with the
stat. De mercatoribus, from 30 to 33 Eliz. and from
7 Jas. I. to 5 Chas. I. One fragment of a roll of 1693 is included.|
1632, 2 May.—Deed of gift by Sir William Ellis, knt., of an annuity
of 10l. 8s. from lands in Swinthorp in the parish of Snelland; for the
payment of twelve pence weekly to four poor widows, one to be the
widow of a vicar or singing-man of the cathedral, and the others
widows of freemen, who frequent divine service and sermons on the
sabbath days, and can distinctly say without book in the English
tongue the Lord's Prayer, the articles of the Belief and the Ten Commandments; no one of them to be a brewer of ale or beer to sell, or au
alehouse keeper, or a tippler of beer, or to usually beg, or to keep in
her house any servant, child, or other person that shall usually go on
Cent. xvii.—"A booke of the precinctes and privileges to his
Majesties castle and baile of Lincolne." Nine leaves, containing translations of an inquisition made 36 Edw. III. (1362); a plea in the time
of Rich. II. (year omitted) on the part of John of Gaunt v. the Mayor,
bailiffs, &c.; a writ from Edw. III. for exemption of all the lands and
men of Henry [Plantagenet] earl of Lancaster from tolls, etc.; with
the bounds and privileges of the bailey.
1684–1718.—A parcel of documents relating to the Jersey School for
the employment of the poor in knitting and spinning, as follows:—
1684, 4 Sept.—Agreement with Joseph Newton to come to
Lincoln to be the master, at a yearly salary of 30l. for the first
three years and 20l. afterwards, with house rent-free, and 100l.
1687, 1 May.—Agreement with John Ashley at 20l. a year.
1688, 6 July.—Copy of the will of Henry Stone, esq., of Skellingthorpe, bequeathing 700l.
1705, 12 Nov.—Agreement with Joseph Doughty to come to
Lincoln, at a salary of 35l. a year.
1718, 26 June.—Agreement with John Hooton at a salary of
[1704.]—Copy of the case of the Dean and Chapter against the
city, with regard to arrests within the Close and the licensing of alehouses; and of the opinion of counsel thereon.
1714–1737.—A folio volume contains the accounts of the Foss-dyke
tolls. This is interesting as affording evidence of the amount of trade
by water during this period; a large proportion being for coals and ale
from the Trent. The volume forms part of a parcel of documents relating to the Foss-dyke, of which the earliest are, an agreement for a
table of tolls in pursuance of an Act of Parliament for improving the
navigation between Boston and the river Trent, dated 10 Oct. 1671;
and an agreement with Samuel Fortrey, esq. of St. Martin's in the
Fields, Middlesex, "a person well versed and expert in affairs of that
nature," that he and his heirs shall have one third part of the profits of
the tolls in return for his assistance in carrying out the improvements,
and the maintenance of a bridge in the town of Saxilby, and his bearing one third part of charges and losses, dated 24 Apr. 1672.
1736, 4 Feb.—License from Richard [Smalbroke] bishop of Lincoln
for the taking in of a small part of the churchyard of St. Peter at
Arches, "wherein no corpse hath been known to be interred," for the
enlargement of the new intended market-house, paying an annual quitrent of 2s. to the parish; with a ground-plan, and a letter from the
bishop to the mayor.
1736, 29 Dec.—Agreement by Daniel Coppin of Boston to make a
complete set of chimes for eight bells, with twenty hammers for two
tunes, to be set up in the steeple of St. Peter's church at the expense
of the Corporation, for 80l. (Enclosed with the preceding license.)
[c. 1740.]—Case of the city with regard to the claim of persons residing within the Close to the freedom of the city; with questions for
[c. 1740.]—Draft of a similar case of the city with regard to persons
within the bailiwick of the castle; by Wm. Gylby, of Grays' Inn,
[Recorder of the city].
1785.—A very excellent abstract of the royal charters with notes,
and a list of all the existing books of record and papers, was drawn up
by Samuel Lyon, Town-clerk, in 1785. This exists in his original
MS., and also in a very neatly written transcript. The original,
together with the account of the charities described in the following
article, was presented to the Corporation by Mr. Lyon in 1797, with a
letter dated at Canwick on Oct. 23, which is entered at p. 863 of vol.
VIII. of the Registers. Mr. Lyon had resigned his office in 1790, and
thanks were given him on Sept. 14 in that year for his indefatigable
attention to the duties of his office which he had long held with honour
to himself and satisfaction to the Corporation; and one hundred
guineas were voted for presenting him with a gold cup, but this he
declined as being already sufficiently gratified.
1786.—"A particular account of all the charitys and charity estates
in which the Corporation of Lincoln, or any members thereof in their
corporate capacitys, have any interest or concern; with the annual
income arising from each, and the present mode of distributing the
same; as also, with a schedule annexed of all the wills, deeds, and
writings in the possession of the Corporation relating thereto; made
out from original records or other evidences, in the month of August,
1786, by Sam. Lyon, Town-Clerk of the city of Lincoln."
This very carefully drawn-up account occupies 51 pages in a folio
book; it specifies where the several records are to be found, and subjoins to a list of the documents relating to Christ's Hospital in Lincoln
this note, "All the above particulars under this title were delivered to
Mr. Bell in order to be deposited in the Hospital chest in the Hospital
house, in which there are already some other writings."
1798.—"A particular survey book of the old inclosures and field
lands in the parish of Belton in the county of Lincoln." A quarto
volume containing minute particulars of every portion of land in the
parish arranged under the owners' names alphabetically. This is an
interesting local record, and gives all the old field-names. It was prepared by a surveyor named Teale, in accordance with an order of
Common Council of Feb. 14, 1798. There are, of course, many
documents, such as leases and conveyances, relating to this parish
among the records, as also with regard to the other parishes of which
the Corporation possesses the advowsons.