Registers, vols VI and VII (1653-1710)
Vol. VI.—A folio volume of blank leaves with the exception of six
about the middle of the volume which contain the proceedings of the
year 1653–4, very badly written. It would seem likely that the earlier
portion was left for the transcription of the minutes of probably some
ten years preceding, which in the troubles of the Civil War had never
been duly entered, or had been lost; while some portion of later
years was no doubt contained in the pages now wanting at the beginning
of the next volume.
1653[–4], March 7.—The boundaries between the ground of the
rectory of St. Peter at Arches and a piece of ground of Mr. Reyner's
freehold next adjoining, as set forth by the jurors of a court-leet, are
entered at the desire of Mr. Reyner, "preacher of the Gospell in this
—, —. John Bull the elder, William Deeping, Simon Browne, and
Thomas Compton are admitted to be the city's waits or musicians.
Inserted at the beginning of this volume is a certificate which belongs
to the next, of the production of that volume in a law suit at Lincoln in
1833, signed by Stacey Grimaldi, the genealogist, and others.
Vol. VII.—A folio volume of about 355 leaves at present, but wanting
54 at the beginning according to an old foliation, which is continued in
a modern pagination after fol. 63. It contains the Acts from Jan. 26,
1655/6, to June 3, 1710.
The first entry is a copy of Sir William Ellis's "charitable disposition"
for four poor widows in Lincoln.
1655–6, Feb. 2.—Agreed that a new common seal be provided, to be
eugraven in the same form to make the like impression to the old seal,
and that the inscription in the outermost circle be "The comon seale of
the city of Lincolne." f. 55b.
—, March 8.—Whereas it is found necessary as well for upholding
the Lord's day and week-day lecture at the parish church of Peter at
Arches as also for the encouragement and assistance of Mr. Edward
Reyner and Mr. George Scottericke, lecturers at the cathedral, to provide
another minister to assist them, agreed that 20l. per an. for five years be
allowed to a minister of the Gospel, to be recommended by Mr. Reyner
and Mr. Scottericke, to assist them in preaching at the cathedral and
said parish church. f. 55b.
1655–6, July 7.—Major Gen. Edward Whalley and Major Gen.
James Berry admitted to the franchises of the city. f. 57b.
—, Sept. 10.—The lease of Hemswell parsonage to be renewed to
Anne, widow of Henry Scupholme, for 25 years at a rent of 30l., she
paying 40l. arrears and a fine of 90l. f. 58.
—, Oct. 6.—The inventory of plate comprises one ewer, Mr.
Dennys' two bowls, one tun, one salt, one tankard, one goblet of the old
fashion, three beer bowls, one case of knives; "all the other plate wanting,
as hath been five last years, besides the case of knives lost, only eight
now delivered." f. 59b.
1656–7, Feb. 28.—Agreed that the leads of the roof of Peter at Arches
be repaired from the east to the furthest end of the common council
loft, so as the heads of the mayor, aldermen, and common council be
kept dry, and that a window-light be put forth against the loft; provided
that this be not drawn into a precedent nor disengage the parishioners
from repairing the church. f. 60b.
—, July 25.—Nathaniel Tuke, clerk, to have 5l. yearly for his pains
in preaching at Hemswell. f. 62b.
1657–8, Jan. 7.—In reply to a letter from the parishioners of Belton
for nomination of a vicar and augmentation of his stipend, the former is
promised and the latter refused, the present proportion being equal in
value to what it was when the impropriation was granted. p. 67.
—, Aug. 14.—Mr. Edmund Laurence presented to the vicarage of
Hanslope. p. 70.
[Four leaves of a register of admissions of freemen from July 1658
to June 1659 here lie loose in the volume.]
—, Dec. 22.—Mr. John Baldwin admitted vicar of Belton, with
the same allowance that his father had; and if the corporation are
satisfied of the good affections of the parishioners towards him and of
his abilities for the ministry, then to have an augmentation of 10l.; but
this not to be a precedent. p. 77.
1659, Apr. 5.—The chancel of Belton and the Free School-house of
the city repaired. pp. 77, 78.
—, June 14.—The forty-seven pounds returned this summer from
the county of Sussex of money collected by the briefs in that county
towards the relief of this city in the time of its visitation by the pestilence
to be made up to 50l. and put forth upon interest to be employed in the
relief of the city poor. p. 79.
1660, Apr. 28.—The mayor to lay out the moneys of the Marshalsea
to mariners and maimed soldiers. p. 85.
—, June 19.—The fee farm rent of this city (of 81l. per an.) to
be re-granted and presented to the King, and Robert Marshall, esq.,
counsel to the city, to draw up an address to his majesty for that end.
p. 86. Order about the presentation of the address, June 26. p. 87.
—, June 2.—Oswald Rhumney, clerk, presented to the vicarage of
Hemswell, p. 86. And again as "Osney Rumney" on March 2,
1660/1. p. 98. Thirty shillings given to "Oswold Rumney" towards his
charges for institution Aug. 5, 1661. p. 102.
1660, June 2.—Six shillings and eightpence to be paid monthly to
aldress Bartholmew, widow, she being very poor and about eighty years
of age. Ibid.
—, Sept. 26.—The yearly stipend of 40l. to be paid to Mr. Edward
Reyner and Mr. Abdy, ministers and lecturers of this city. p. 89.
—, Oct. 11.—An address to the Lord Lieutenant of the county,
with a list of the soldiers to be arrayed, and the number of the common
arms of the city, to be presented at Sleaford on Oct. 19. p. 93.
—, Nov. 28.—Letter from the King, of Nov. 15, for the displacing
of intruded aldermen and restoration of those displaced "in these late ill
times." Thereupon Mr. John Oliver is displaced and Mr. William
Bishop restored, and Mr. Richard Wetherall is restored on March 2
following to his place of coroner. pp. 97, 98.
The King's letter again considered on June 15 and 26, 1661, and
Alexander Newcome and William Dawson displaced, and Edward Blawe
restored and Richard Wetherall elected, as aldermen. pp. 100, 101.
1661, Aug. 5.—Whereas a petition was preferred to the King by
some few citizens against the mayor and some of the aldermen, suggesting their embezzling the money of the city and other pretended miscarriages, which business was heard before the Privy Council, and they
were all dismissed from any further attendance at the Board about it,
now for the further satisfaction of all persons concerned in the said
money it is agreed that diligent enquiry shall be made for the finding
out of all stocks and sums of money misemployed and for the recovery
and right employing of the same. p. 102.
—, —. Agreed that the two maces shall be altered, and that the
King's arms, crown and cross shall be set upon the great mace, and
that the small mace shall have the King's arms engraven upon it. Ibid.
1662, Aug. 23—Sept. 23.—Orders and Warrants of the King's commissioners for putting in execution the Act of Parliament for the well
governing of corporations, displacing and restoring numerous members
and officers of the corporation. pp. 111–13. William Dawson, displaced
in 1661, is restored.
—, Sept. 20.—Whereas we are informed from the Dean and Chapter that they having their library called Great St. Mary's formerly in
the unhappy war plundered, some books of which library is conceived
by them to be in our custody, it is therefore agreed that they shall have
a view of what books we have in the school library, and such of them as
they shall sufficiently make appear did belong to their library to be
forthwith restored unto them. p. 116.
—, Oct. 14.—Mr. Justice Terrill's proposition for an augmentation
to the vicar of Hanslope refused. p. 120.
—, Oct. 23.—Warrants for displacing and appointing several
members of the corporation. pp. 123–4.
1663, Apr. 21.—In consequence of an Act of Parliament now being
in debate in the House of Commons touching augmentations of livings
in corporations, which will be the ruin of Lincoln if timely provision be
not made for uniting of parishes in the city, four of the ablest, ancient
est and discreetest parishioners of each parish are to be summoned to
appear before the mayor and aldermen to give an account what every
parish may afford towards the maintenance of a minister, and how many
parishes are fit to be united. p. 126.
1663, Sept. 14.—For prevention of abuses heretofore committed upon
election days by foreign poor people, proclamation to be made that no
poor people whatsoever shall come to the houses of the mayor elect and
sheriffs elect, upon pain of punishment by the law; and the mayor and
sheriffs elect shall send contributions as they shall think fit to the several
parishes to-morrow in bread, to be disposed of to such poor only as
shall keep at home in obedience to this law. p. 129.
—, Nov. 19.—Thomas Dawson, who was displaced as alderman by
the commissioners' warrant of Oct. 23, 1662, appeared at the Council
and refused to absent himself, alleging that the warrant was illegal.
1664, Jan. 9.—A confirmation of the charters to be applied for, in
consequence of a writ of Quo warranto having been issued. p. 135.
1668, Aug. 12.—Whereas the inhabitants of the town of Wragby are
now about procuring a grant from his Majesty for several fairs which
may prove very prejudicial to this city, and whereas a writ of Ad quod
dampnum is to be executed to-morrow at Wragby, the Recorder and
some of the aldermen, &c., are desired to go over to make appear to the
sheriff and jurors what damage it may be to this city, and to take with
them the charter of Hen. IV. in which several fairs are granted to the
city, and also certain "Suggestions" [or Reasons] engrossed on parchment. p. 175. The Suggestions are given at p. 180.
—, Nov. 7.—The Recorder thanked for his care and pains in the
business at Wragby, and to have 20s.; the town-clerk to have 10s.
—, —. The charter of K. Henry IV. was this day delivered
into the iron trunk, and the charter of Hen. VIII. Ibid.
—, —. Whereas the Bishop of Lincoln was formerly moved
concerning the Free School, but no visitation is yet made thereof,
agreed that there shall be further address made to the said Bishop and
to the Dean and Chapter to desire their care and pains in visiting and
making inspection into the School. Ibid.
1669, May 22.—Whereas by the multiplicity of halfpennies and
farthings of many several stamps uttered, paid out, and spread abroad
by several particular tradesmen and private persons within this city (for
private profit and gain), the citizens and inhabitants . . . are at
much loss and trouble by their receiving halfpence and farthings of so
many several stamps that they cannot without much trouble distinguish
the owners . . . nor sort them in such manner as to send them to
the owners to change, and after all that pains and trouble many times
cannot have them changed without much repining of such persons as
put the same forth, and sometimes the owners do absolutely refuse to
change the same, and some persons that have put forth such farthings
are since dead or removed far from this city, that those which have
taken such farthings and halfpence cannot have the same changed but
are at a clear loss therein: now, for the prevention of the like for the
future, and for the profit and advantage of the poor of this city, and for
fit and convenient change, it is ordered and agreed upon that one stamp
for the stamping of one fair and large halfpenny of good yellow brass to
be made and stamped at the public charge of this city, with the city arms
on one side thereof, and these words on the other side thereof Lincoln
Citty halfepenny Changed by the Maior, shall be forthwith provided
and gotten, and so many halfpennies stamped therewith as twenty
pounds will purchase; . . . . [and the sheriffs] as soon as they
can get them from London to pay them to the Mayor to be by him forthwith dispersed; and the common cryer shall the next market-day after
the receipt . . . proclaim this act, and decry all other halfpennies
and farthings from passing within this city; and the mayor . . .
shall at all times hereafter readily and freely change the said halfpennies
and give silver for them to the full value which they pass for so oft as
they shall be brought to him by any person or persons; and . . .
shall every six months give account of the stock and profit of the said
halfpennies; and the said mayor and aldermen to distribute all such
profit amongst the most needful poor so oft and in such manner as they
shall think fit; and that no more halfpennies shall at any time hereafter
be stamped or provided for the use of this city without the consent of
the common council. p. 183.
1669, May 22 —Order for observing the King's birthday by attendance at service at the Cathedral and by a dinner, with a fine of 2/6 on
every person neglecting. p. 184.
—, —. The proposals made by several persons to be the city's
brickmaker. p. 185. John Widnall elected for life, who offered a fine
of 35l. and undertook to enlarge the size of brick and tile, over two
others who offered fines of 30l., and one who offered 20l.
—, July 5.—Twenty pounds' worth more of the city's halfpennies
ordered to be procured and stamped. p. 187.
—, July 24.—Five pounds' worth of farthings of yellow brass to be
procured, and stamped with the city arms on one side, and these words
on the other side Lincolne Citty farthing. p. 188.
—, —. Whereas divers persons of honour and quality out of their
kindness and respects to this city and for the benefit and advantage of
the citizens and inhabitants thereof, have a desire that one or more
horse-races may be set up annually for ever upon the heath in the
parishes of Harmston and Colby, under such articles as shall be
thought fit by the trustees, viz. Lady Dorothy Stanhope, the Earl of
Lindsey, Henry Earl of Ogle, John Earl of Exeter, George Visc.
Castleton, Bennett Lord Sherrard, John Lord Roos, Sir John Monson,
the elder, bart., and Sir Robert Carr, bart., and that lands may be purchased and settled on them and their heirs; and that in case a constant
rent of 24l. per an. or more be raised, that then one third part may be
employed for a lesser plate to be run for by hunting horses, and the
other two parts be for the providing a greater plate, not to be run for
the same day, and that no horse above six years old be admitted to run
for either; and they are desirous to know what money will be given by
this city; it is agreed that 20l. be for this end advanced. p. 189.
—, Nov. 20.—The charters of Henry II., Richard I., John,
Henry III., Edward I. and Edward II., which were lately delivered
out to Mr. South, town clerk, for defence of a suit brought by one
Gilliat against the late sheriffs, were now delivered back and laid into
the chest. p. 195.
—, —. Notice to be again given by the cryer that no halfpennies
or farthings are to be taken but those stamped by the city. p. 196.
—, —. Fifteen pounds' worth more of halfpennies and five
pounds' worth of farthings to be procured. Ibid.
1670, June 15.—Ten pounds' worth more of brass halfpennies to be
procured. p. 200.
—, Oct. 20.—William Farmer, of Thavies Inn, Holborn, to be
employed as solicitor to attend Parliament touching an Act for making
navigable several rivers leading to this city. p. 210.
1671, March 16.—The schoolmaster and usher of this city to have
each of them 20s. towards their charges of their scholars' last acts.
—, Oct. 1.—In the inventory are entered these books: Pulton's
Statutes at large, Scobell's Acts, Acts relating to Justices of the Peace,
and five new statute books all bound together in one in a parchment
cover. p. 217.
[From 4 Oct. 1671 onwards to Nov. 11, 1672, constant entries occur
relative to the work with regard to the navigation of the rivers.]
1673, June 25.—20l. per an. to be paid to Walter Broomesgrove,
clerk, who is likely to come to be parson of St. Peter at Arches, for
preaching a sermon every Sunday in the afternoon and Michaelmas day
in the forenoon. p. 235.
1675, Oct. 4.—In the inventory is entered, one piece of old gold
given to the corporation by Mr. Michael Hollingworth. p. 263.
1676, Apr. 29.—Ordered that the halfpence and farthings belonging
to the city shall be sold by the mayor to such person or persons as will
give the most for them. p. 270.
—, May 25.—This Common Council being (by many testimonials
of unquestionable credit) assured of the sad condition of Isa a Caldeon,
a priest, and his sons, it is ordered that the mayor shall give 20s.
towards the relief of him and his sons. p. 271.
—, Oct. 2.—In the inventory occur for the first time the "Ensigns
of authority," viz., three swords, one large mace, one little mace, one
cap of maintenance, one tipstaff, one walking staff with a seal upon it.
1678, Jan. 21.—An addition of 4l. per an. granted to the vicarage of
Hanslope, on the presentation of Mr. William Ward as vicar. p. 291.
—, May 14.—An additional 4l. granted to him. p. 294.
—, Sept. 30.—In the inventory are now entered, one lesser silver
tankard, one silver salt, and one dozen silver spoons, which tankard salt
and spoons were bought by way of exchange for the great ewer with
some addition of money. p. 304.
1679, Feb. 4.—On reading of a petition from all or most of the
inhabitants of Belton, of the vacancy of their vicarage, wherein they do
utterly disclaim, deny and detest of having any liberty to make choice of
another vicar and all right of presentation to the same vicarage, it is
now ordered that another person shall be elected in the room of the late
vicar Mr. Hugh Shaw, deceased. John Upsall is elected by 26 voices
over 5 given for John Reyner (fn. 1) and one for Stephen Willoughby. p. 308.
—, May 29.—Ordered that the mayor shall pay to Joseph archbishop of Samos the sum of 5l. towards the building of a Greek church
in London. p. 309.
person so offending; in default of payment, to be levied by distress.
1679, June 7.—The sword-bearer to take special notice of every
alderman and common councilman coming to St. Peter's Church on
Sunday afternoons without their gowns, and to demand xiid. of every
—, June 21.—The customs, statutes, and ordinances of the Company of Tailors, formerly granted to them, to be renewed, with such
alterations and additions as shall be agreed on. p. 313.
—, July 26.—A silver tankard bequeathed by Henry Morley,
senior alderman, deceased, is received from his executrix. p. 314.
—, Dec. 6.—The ordinances of the Company of Tailors sealed,
which were confirmed on Sept. 25. pp. 321–7.
The ordinances, which are 18 in number, are said to be for "the
continuance, sustentation, maintenance and relief of the occupation,
mistery, craft and company of taylours," the ordinances heretofore
granted having been discontinued and not observed, to the great decay
and hurt of the city. The subjects of the ordinances are as follows:—
1. Yearly election of a master, two wardens and a dean.
2. No tailor to set up or do any work before agreement with the
master and the mayor; foreign tailors to pay 40s. to the master, etc.
3. Forfeit of 2l. 6s. 8d. for "upsetts" before agreement.
4. Every foreign tailor to pay 3l. 6s. 8d. for his "upsett."
5. No foreign tailor to work at all in any private house, and no
tailor of the company without it be for one day to do his customer a
6. No person to set any on work except he be a master-man.
7. Two persons to be elected to be searchers of defaults in any
manner of garment, on complaint thereof.
8. No person to shape or cut against the wool, or set any inconvenient piece in the outside of any garment unless for want of cloth or
that the owner will have it so, nor set any cloth of the right side, nor
shape any motley or damask against the leaves or branches.
9. Payments to the dean and clerk at first entry and yearly, and where
and when the four morn-speech days shall be kept, with forfeits for nonattendance.
10. Every journeyman working 16 days to pay 4d., and if he continue a year to pay 12d. yearly.
11. Forfeitures for refusing to hold office, &c.
12. Lands may be bought for the company, and goods and legacies
13. Every brother to be a franchest man.
14. Concerning evil words and misbehaviour in the master's presence,
to be punished by forfeiture or imprisonment. Tailors not to take more
for making a pair of plain hose of an apprentice or servant than 4d.,
and for making a coat with sleeves than 9d., for every doublet 1s. 4d.,
and every coat without sleeves 7d.
15. None to buy any cloth, &c., or trimming for any garment to sell
the same again, or to buy or sell any linings, or to make for sale any
16. Concerning the burying of poor brethren, and allowances while
17. The master to have power to commit brethren to ward who do
not pay forfeitures.
18. Concerning determination of ambiguities or doubts in these
1680, March 27.—Richard Sharpe to have a lease of a messuage with
a close or orchard in St. Mary's parish on giving bond of 50l. that he
will not bury any person, nor suffer any person to be buried, in the
ground belonging to the said house. p. 328.
1681, Aug. 25.—The town-clerk ordered to attend at St. Peter's
church every Sunday afternoon in his gown, on pain of 12d. for every
default. p. 46.
—, Oct. 3.—In the inventory the seals are described thus, at greater
length than before: One statute box with the greater part of the statute
seal in it, two other silver seals, one old silver cognizance, and one
piece of silver which came off a sword panel. Also, one dozen of large
white-hafted case knives, all in a case together with a cover. p. 351.
—, Dec. 14.—Upon the reading of a letter from Sir Thomas
Meres at London about several French Protestants coming to inhabit
in this city, and for a stock and convenient lodgings to be provided for
them at the city's charge, it is ordered that the mayor do forthwith
send a letter to Sir Thomas Meres, that there is not any convenient
houses or places in this city for them to come to dwell here, and that
the city is not in a condition to raise a stock for them, and also that it
is the opinion of this common council that it will be no advantage to
this city but a prejudice to them and all others. p. 353.
1682, Oct. 2.—In the inventory, two dozen large pewter trencher
plates given by Mr. Garnon, alderman, and two dozen and a half
pewter trencher plates given by the present mayor, Charles Allanson,
all having the city's arms thereupon. p. 361.
1683, July 18.—Address of congratulation to the King on the
discovery of the conspiracy for the assassination of himself and his
brother [the Rye House plot]. p. 369.
—, Oct. 1.—In the inventory, four pewter ten-pound dishes given
by ald. Coxall, and six dozen pewter trencher plates bought by Mr.
Loddington for 40s., in lieu of a collation on his election as alderman.
(p. 367.) The city weights are also entered. p. 373.
1684, Jan. 4.—William Hooton gives one dozen and a half mazarine
pewter plates in lieu of 20s. for a collation on his election as an
alderman. pp. 374, 375.
—, June 4.—Agreement with Joseph Newton of Leicester about
the Jersey school. p. 380.
—, —. Saxilby bridge to be repaired, part of which has fallen.
—, July 10.—With an unanimous consent it is agreed that the
charter granted by King Charles I. shall be surrendered to his present
Majesty. p. 381.
— Sept. 4.—Letters read about the surrender of the charter, from the
Mayor to Lord Chief Justice Jeffreys at York, dated July 11, and from
Jeffreys in reply, dated July 14. The mayor thanks him in the name
of the city for the honour of his late visit, informs him of the agreement
for the surrender, and desires instructions by the bearers to whom and
in what manner those employed herein shall make application when at
London or at Court. Jeffreys returns thanks for the late kind and noble
reception of him and his brother [-judge], and for their truly loyal vote;
has given the King by this post a full account of their loyal and prudent
behaviour; will not forget his promise of making their way easy, and
freeing them from as much expense in money and time as he can. As
the King is suddenly designed for Winchester and from thence to New
Market, thinks it advisable that they await his further directions on his
return from circuit. pp. 383–4.
1684, Oct. 6.—In the inventory there are further gifts of pewter plates,
four large iron spits, racks, iron range and stamp. p. 386.
—, Oct. 18.—Form of surrender of that part of the charter touching
the election of any persons into any city offices, "considering how much
it imports the government of this kingdom to have men of known
loyalty and approved integrity to bear offices of magistracy and places of
trust"; desiring a re-grant of all privileges in such manner and form as
his Majesty shall judge most conducing to the good government of the
city, and with such reservations, restrictions, and qualifications, as he
shall appoint. p. 388.
Memorandum that on Nov. 2, being Sunday, 1684, the surrender and
charter of Charles I. were presented to the King by a deputation of
four persons (introduced by Jeffreys), together with a petition for a new
charter "and several other things," and that the King received them
very kindly, and promised a new charter, &c. p. 389.
1685, Jan. 1.—Reception of the new charter. This morning, about
8 o'cl., Mr. Mayor and the aldermen in their scarlet gowns, the sheriffs,
common council men, and chamberlains, all in their gowns, attended with
the company of trained bands and several gentlemen, and inhabitants to
a considerable number, walked from Mr. Mayor's house to Barr gates
and so against St. Katherine's, and upon the green there Mr. Mayor
received the new charter from Sir Thomas Hussey, bart., who had it
sent to him by the Earl of Lindsey, the city's new Recorder. So soon
as Mr. Mayor received the charter and the key of the box where the
same was, he opened the box, and took the charter out, and he, the
aldermen, sheriffs, common councilmen, chamberlains, and most of the
gentlemen and company there, kissed the seal, and after loudly shouted
God save the King. Then Mr. Mayor delivered the charter to the
Town Clerk, who was present in his gown, and ordered him to carry it
open before him to the Guildhall. Thereupon Mr. Mayor with Sir
Thomas Hussey and several other gentlemen, the aldermen, and all the
rest of the body and company, walked up the city to the Guildhall, the
trained bands going before to make way; the street was filled with
people, the city's waits playing before Mr. Mayor, and the bells ringing.
In this manner they came to the Guildhall, where the charter was
openly read by the Town Clerk, and the hall was crowded with people.
Then Mr. Mayor was sworn mayor and justice of peace, which being
done they came out of the Guildhall, and so went to the great conduit,
which ran claret wine, and there drank the King's and Duke of York's
health. After that, the gentlemen and company went along with Mr.
Mayor to his house to a great dinner. After dinner, in their way Mr.
Mayor and the company drank the King's and Duke of York's health at
the lesser conduit, which ran likewise claret wine, &c. The bells rang
all the day, and music played, drums beating, &c., and the night concluded with bonefires and ringing of bells clear through the city. p. 390.
Memorandum: The Bishop of Lincoln gave 20l., and Sir Thomas
Hussey, Sir Henry Monson, Sir Thomas Meres, knt., and Henry Stone
esq., each 10l., towards the charges of renewing the charter. Ibid.
—, Feb. 9.—This day in the afternoon, not long after the post came
in, his Majesty King James II. was proclaimed King in these several
places, viz., upon the green in St. Botolph's parish, upon the hill against
St. Mary's church, at the Stone-bow, at Bail-gates, in the Minster Yard,
and in Newport, by the Mayor and aldermen in their scarlet gowns, the
Town-clerk, sheriffs, common-council men, and chamberlains, in their
gowns, all on horseback, the Dean and Chapter being present, and
several gentlemen citizens and inhabitants attending all on horseback,
attended with a great number of citizens, inhabitants and others on foot,
according to the order of Council. [This order then follows, with a
copy of the King's proclamation as printed.] After his Majesty was
proclaimed as aforesaid, the Mayor, aldermen, &c. went to the Guildhall, where a banqueting was provided at the city's charge, and then
they went to some bonefires, and drank the King's, Queen's, and royal
family's healths, and the night concluded with bonefires, drums beating,
ringing of bells; &c. pp. 393–4.
1685, Feb. 28.—An address sent to the King on his accession,
subscribed by the Mayor, corporation, citizens, and inhabitants, to the
number of five hundred and more. p. 395.
—, July 21.—Whereas for these several years now last past it hath
been a custom in this city for the mayor elect and the two sheriffs
elect severally to make and give a treat or banqueting on every Holy
Rood day, being Sept. 14, presently after they were elected, and the
said treat or banquetting not only being a great trouble and charge,
and several abuses and misdemeanours committed on that day by the
freemen and inhabitants and the great number of foreigners which
constantly resort to the said treat, to the great disturbance of the
King's peace and abuse of the said treat; and for that the said treat
or banquetting upon serious consideration is looked upon to be a thing
altogether unnecessary and useless; therefore it is hereby ordered that
the said treat . . . . shall for the future be clearly laid aside and
none made. And the city being much in debt for money borrowed for
the Foss dyke and for renewing the charter, 13l. 13s. 4d. shall yearly
be deducted from the Mayor's allowance of 90l., and 26l. 6s. 8d. from
the sheriffs' allowance of 46l. p. 398.
—. Mr. Henry Stone, of Skellingthorpe, gave one new velvet hat
of maintenance, made in London, which cost near 20l. p. 399.
1686, March 6.—Order against the opening of any shop or the using
of any trade by foreigners not free of the city. p. 408.
—, Oct. 4.—In the inventory, nine pewter dishes bought by
Mr. Coxall, late mayor, of Mr. Freeston's executors, with his coat of
arms and the city's set thereon. p. 416.
1687, Aug. 3.—Belton chancel to be viewed and repaired. p. 422.
And the parsonage house, July 5, 1688. p. 436.
A new sun-dial to be set up over the Guildhall. p. 422.
—, Oct. 3.—In the inventory of plate a large gold ring appears for
the first time. p. 426.
—, Dec. 31.—Abraham Morrice, mercer, brought the following
letter from the King to the mayor and corporation for making him a
freeman without taking any oaths. "James R. Trusty and wellbeloved we greet you well. Whereas we have received a good character
of the loyalty of our well-beloved subject Abraham Morrice, mercer,
we have thought fit hereby to require you to make him a freeman of
that our city of Lincoln, with all the rights and privileges thereunto
belonging, without administering unto him any oath or oaths whatsoever, with which we are graciously pleased to dispense in his behalf.
And for so doing this shall be your warrant. . . . At our Court at
Whitehall, Dec. 5." After reading of the said letter it was ordered
and agreed that the said Abr. Morrice be made a freeman . . . in
pursuance of his Majesty's letter. pp. 429–30.
1688, May 26.—The usual stipend of 20l. granted to Mr. Christopher
Colson lately elected usher of the Free School. p. 434.
—, Oct. 1.—In the inventory the new hat of maintenance given by
Mr. Stone is the only one mentioned. p. 440.
1689, Feb. 16.—This day in the afternoon, presently after the post
came in and persons had notice given, their majesties King William
and Queen Mary were proclaimed [in the same places and with the
same formalities as James II. Copies of the letter from the Council,
and of the two proclamations for the proclaiming and for all persons
to continue in their offices, follow.] After their majesties were proclaimed the said Mr. Mayor, etc. went to the Guildhall, where wine ale
and biscuit were provided at the city's charge to drink their majesties'
health, and in the evening they all went to several bonefires, and there
drank their majesties' and the royal family's healths, and the night
concluded with bonefires, drums beating, bells ringing, music playing
and several other expressions of joy. pp. 443–4.
—, March.—The order of Dec. 31 last for making Abr. Morrice
a freeman ordered to be void and of none effect, his late Majesty having
by his Declaration dissolved and made his letter void. p. 445.
1690, July 10.—120l. given by Henry Stone, of Skellingthorpe,
esq., the interest to be laid out for the use of the poor yearly in
coals, corn, or any other things as the Corporation may think fit.
—, Aug. 13.—John Osbaldeston, M.A., student of Ch. Ch., Oxford, who has come to be rector of St. Peter at Arches, to have the
usual yearly stipend of 20l. for preaching a sermon every Sunday in
the afternoon and every Michaelmas day in the forenoon. Ibid.
1691, Feb. 28.—The inner chamber adjoining the Guildhall to be
handsomely ceiled with Norway oak for 40l. p. 467.
—, Dec. 5.—The usual stipend to be paid to Mr. Thomas Muston
who succeeds Mr. Osbaldeston, who is dead, at St. Peter's. p. 475.
1692, Apr. 2.—Christopher Hillyard elected vicar of Hemswell, in
the room of Mr. Gibson, deceased. p. 476. But on Aug. 4, 1693,
the vicarage being declared vacant by reason he had left the same and
had taken no care to serve it for several months past, and the
parishioners being very anxious to have a curate, John Towne is
elected to be vicar by 19 voices over 4 for Anthony Smith. p. 491.
1693, June 21.—Gervase Turner elected curate of Belton, in the
room of Mr. Upsall, deceased, by 19 voices over 8 given for John
Sykes, and 2 for Fulljam Blackman. p. 489.
1695, Jan. 23.—An address of condolence ordered to be presented to
the King on the death of Queen Mary. p. 504.
—, Oct. 28.—This morning so soon as the post came in from Grantham Mr. Major and the aldermen received an account that his Majesty
King William was on his journey from London, and intended to be in
this city to-morrow night, and so pass clear through it to his lodgings
at Lieut.-Col. Pownall's house in the Minster Yard, late the house
where Bishop Fuller lived. Presently after, Mr. Major sent to the
aldermen to meet him at the Guildhall to consult what was the best to
be done, and accordingly they met together, and went clear down the
street as far as the Little Goat Bridges, and as they went along they
ordered all the parishes to get carts and labourers to cleanse the streets,
and carry the dirt and rubbish away from thence. Which was done
accordingly that day and the next day before the King came, as well
as possibly could be done upon such a short warning. All the cross
rails down the street were ordered to be taken up, and all stones, wood
and other obstructions lying and being in the highway were removed.
In the afternoon Mr. Major ordered his officers to give notice and
warning to Mr. Recorder, all the aldermen, sheriffs, common council
men, and chamberlains, the steward and town clerk, all to provide
horses, and to meet the next day at the Guildhall in their gowns at
three o'cl. in the afternoon.
1695, Oct. 29.—This day about three o'cl. in the afternoon Mr. Major
and the aldermen [etc.] . . . all in their gowns, attended with the
Major's officers in their gowns, all met at the Guildhall, and when all
were ready they went into the High Street against the said hall, and
there mounted on horseback, the city's waits, Newark waits, trumpets
hantboys and drums being all ready, they rode down the street, two and
two together, as far as the Great Barr gate, the music playing, trumpets
sounding and drums beating before them, attended with a great number
of gentlemen, citizens, and others, all on horseback. When they came
there, and waited an hour or two, the sheriffs with their officers on
horseback rid up Cross a Cliff, and about the midway to Reddhall they
there waited for his Majesty's coming with torches, links and flamboys;
and about 7 o'cl. at night the King in his coach with some of his lords,
attended with his guards, came there, and the sheriffs on their knees
offered their white staves to his Majesty, but he did not take them.
Then the sheriffs got upon their horses, and rode bare before the King's
coach (the guards being on both sides them and the coach) till they
came to the Great Barr Gate, where Mr. Major, the Recorder, aldermen and company staid. When the King's coach was just through the
gate Mr. Major on his knees offered to give his Majesty the great sword
which belongs to the city, but the King did not take it. Then Mr.
Recorder being just by Mr. Major and near the King's coach, he on his
knees made a speech to his Majesty, congratulating his Majesty's safe
coming to this city, and how joyful the city in general were to see his
Majesty, with a great many expressions of loyalty and duty. Mr.
Recorder having ended his speech, Mr. Major and he got upon their
horses (the rest of the aldermen and a great company of the body of the
city, with a great many gentlemen and others, all on horseback), and so
Mr. Major bore the sword before the King's coach, with the hat of
maintenance on his head, clear through the city to the King's lodgings
in the Minster yard, to Lieut.-Col. Pownall's house, as before. The
aldermen went just before Mr. Major, and the other company before
them all, on horseback, in ranks, the music, trumpets, and drums before,
playing, sounding, and drums beating, clear up the street without intermission. The streets were full of flamboys, torches, links and candles,
and crowded with vast numbers of people, and great shoutings and loud
acclamations of the people; all the houses, shops and other places were
all illuminated with lights and candles, the bells all ringing. When the
King came to his lodgings, Mr. Major and the aldermen went in before
his Majesty, attended by the gentlemen and others. The King when
he was got into the house went up "staiths" into a chamber, and staid
there a little while. After, the King came down again, and then Mr.
Major, the Recorder, aldermen, steward, town clerk and sheriffs, all on
their knees, kissed his Majesty's hand, and were afterwards entertained
at a banquet with wine of all sorts and sweetmeats in great quantities,
all at the King's charge.
The next morning between 7 and 8 o'cl., Mr. Major and the aldermen
in their scarlet gowns, the town clerk, sheriffs and common council men,
waited upon his Majesty to the Minster to hear prayers. And after the
prayers were ended, his Majesty took coach and went immediately to
the Duke of Newcastle's house, to Welbeck in Nottinghamshire, attended
by the high sheriff of Lincolnshire and a great many gentlemen and
others, all on horseback. pp. 513–14.
1695, Dec. 16.—His Majesty having been graciously pleased, when
he was lately here, to grant, upon the request of the mayor and aldermen, a new fair to be kept yearly at such a time as the city should think
convenient, enquiry to be made of some knowing persons when is the
properest time in the year for the same, and a letter then to be sent to
the city's parliament men to make application for the grant. p. 515.
—, —. John Morris elected to the curacy of Belton, void by
the death of Mr. Turner. p. 516.
1696, Apr. 30.—Three hundred and odd pounds in clipped money to
be sent up to London to be exchanged for new milled money of gold.
—, Aug. 22.—Order whe the new fair is to be kept and what
tolls to be taken. p. 519.
1697, Feb. 8.—Order about a return to a Mandamus from the King's
Bench to admit Abraham Morrice, mercer, as a freeman, he having
served seven years as an apprentice in the city. p. 527.
—, Dec. 8.—A house assigned for a house of correction. p. 538.
1698.—From this year the inventories cease to be registered, their
contents being said to be delivered to the mayor "as by a note." p.
[1702.—There is no entry of the proclamation of Q. Anne.]
1704, Aug. 8.—Order about a suit to be tried at the next assizes on a
dispute with the dean and chapter about the liberties and privileges of
the city, which the dean and chapter call in question and disown.
—, Sept. 23.—An address of congratulation to the Queen ordered,
on the victory gained by the duke of Marlborough. p. 602.
1706, May 21.—An entertainment to be provided at the city's charge
for the Bishop of Lincoln. p. 617.
1707, Apr. 3.—Proposed that 10l. be paid towards the relief of the
poor episcopal clergy in Scotland. p. 628. [This is not again mentioned, and therefore probably was not confirmed at the next meeting
of the common council.]
—, —. Ordered that the Queen be addressed to congratulate
her upon account of the Union. Ibid.
—, Sept. 27 and Oct. 22.—Ordered that St. Hugh's fair be removed,
for all goods and merchandise, from the Friars to the High Street,
between the High bridge and Down Town lock. pp. 634, 636.
—, Nov. 13.—The chancel of Belton church to be viewed and
repaired. p. 637.
—, Dec.—The mayor to pay 10l. forthwith towards the loss by fire
at Grantham. Ibid.
1708, June 12.—10l. to be given to the parish of St. Peter in Eastgate towards repairing "Greeseing" stairs, they putting the same in
sufficient repair and maintaining them so. p. 639.
—, Aug. 28.—An address to the Queen upon the late victory sealed
and sent up. p. 640.