The corporation of Lincoln
Registers, vol. VIII (1710-1800)

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Historical Manuscripts Commission

Year published

1895

Supporting documents

Pages

115-120

Citation Show another format:

'The corporation of Lincoln: Registers, vol. VIII (1710-1800)', The Manuscripts of Lincoln, Bury St. Edmunds etc.: Fourteenth report, Appendix; part VIII (1895), pp. 115-120. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=67058 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Registers, vol. VIII (1710-1800)

1710, June 30.—Ordered that an address be presented to the Queen to congratulate her upon the success of her arms, and to stand by her and the Established Church, and the Protestant succession as established by Act of Parliament. p. 660.

At the end of this volume, reversed, are the original signatures, on fifteen leaves, to the oaths of allegiance and supremacy, and renouncing the Solemn League and Covenant, of all the persons admitted to office in the corporation, from March 25, 1663, to Sept. 14, 1709.

Vol. VIII.—A folio volume of 908 pages, extending from June 17, 1710, to 14 Sept. 1800.

1710[–11], March 8.—Every justice, alderman, and common councilman to attend the mayor, in their gowns, to church, on all Sundays, etc., under penalty of a fine of 12d., to be levied by distress. p. 6. Again ordered on 14 Sept. 1724. p. 99.

—, Jan. 31 and March 13.—Rev. Mr. Garmston thanked for his sermon on 30 Jan. and 10l. voted for defraying his charge of printing it.

1714, Oct. 26.—Shadrach Garmston elected vicar of Hanslope, and 10l. voted to Mrs. Ward, the widow of the late vicar, in consideration of her necessitous condition. p. 31.

1715, Apr. 22.—20l. given to Spalding for relief of the poor sufferers there. p. 32.

1716, May 24.—An address to be sent to congratulate the King upon his success in suppressing the late unnatural rebellion. p. 39.

1718, Dec. 9.—Mr. Booth, usher of the Grammar School, desired to print his sermon preached at St. Mary's church upon account of the Anabaptists, and 10l. to be paid him for defraying the charge. p. 51.

1718[–9], Feb. 9.—Five guineas to be given to Mr. Booth for printing his book, being a Replication to the Anabaptists' answer to his sermon. (fn. 1) p. 58.

1719, May 9.—Application to be made for a brief for rebuilding the church of St. Peter-at-Arches. p. 61.

—, May 21.—1000l. to be taken up at interest by the city and employed towards the rebuilding of the church of St. Peter-at-Arches, ibid. 100l. per an. to be paid for ten years from Mich. 1719. p. 62. A small deficiency made up to the trustees, Sept. 25, 1736. p. 216.

—, July 10.—The Mayor excused from giving a public dinner at the next sessions; but in return to allow 20l. out of his salary to the city. p. 63.

—, —. Trustees appointed to see to the application of the money given for re-building St. Peter's church. Ibid.

1720, Sept. 26.—A "branch of candlesticks, containing 14 in number," to be bought for 12l. 12s., to be used in St. Mary's church or any other church where the lecture-service shall be, as the city may direct. p. 70.

1722[–3], Feb. 12.—Thanks given to Lord Thanet for his benefaction of 40l. towards the rebuilding of St. Peter's church, p. 88.

1723, Sept. 19.—600l. more voted for the completion of St. Peter's church. p. 92.

—, Oct. 29.—200l. given towards the endowment of St. Botolph's, to entitle it to the King's bounty of 200l. p. 94.

1724, May 26.—The seats of the mayor, aldermen and common council-men, and also those of the "aldresses" at St. Peter's church, to be lined. p. 97. To be new lined Aug. 27, 1781. p. 644. The seats in St. Mary's church to be handsomely lined with red cloth; April 17, 1736, p. 212. To be new covered, Oct. 15, 1793, p. 801.

—, July 8.—The stipend given by the city for the Master of the Free School increased from twenty nobles to twenty pounds per an. with 10l. for a house, it being found that a deserving man will not accept of it under a salary of 50l., and the Dean and Chapter only allowing 20l. p. 98. This to be given to Mr. John Goodall, the dean and chapter having been unable to find a person duly qualified as having been educated at Westminster or Eton and of the degree of M.A. p. 100.

1725, Nov. 3.—A notice of a vacancy for two waits to be given in the Stamford Mercury. p. 113.

1726[–7], March 18.—An address to the King upon account of the Spaniards besieging Gibraltar and the Emperor's settling a trade at Ostend. p. 124.

1727, June 17.—Proclamation of George II. in seven places by the town-clerk, the crier repeating every sentence after him with a loud voice. p. 127.

—, Aug. 21.—Sir Thomas Saunderson, K.B., made a freeman of the city in return for his setting up iron rails and doors and stone pillars at the front of the church of St. Peter-at-Arches. p. 130.

—, Oct. 10.—A "treat" to be given on Oct. 11, the coronation-day of Geo. II., the upper and lower conduits to run wine for the corporation, and a hogshead of ale to be given to the common people. p. 133.

1728, Aug. 31.—60l. allowed towards the beautifying and painting the altar-piece in St. Peter's church, the trustees for the said church laying down 30l. more. p. 140.

—, Sept. 26.—15l. more allowed for the altar-piece, and a set of eight bells to be set up, the city paying such charges as cannot be raised by subscription. p. 142.

1729, Sept. 27.—Six lamps to be set up in the city. p. 152. And as many additional ones as the mayor and aldermen shall think convenient. Dec. 4. p. 155.

1729[–30], Feb. 26.—A petition to be presented to the House of Commons against hawkers, pedlers, and petty chapmen. p. 156.

1730, May 9.—The pictures of the present King and his Queen Caroline to be bought at the charge of the city and set up in the Inner Hall; and the outside of the Town Hall and the King's arms, with the figures there, to be new painted and cleansed. p. 157.

1731, May 10.—No persons not born within the city to have the freedom of the school. p. 167.

—, Nov. 20.—The use of the Town Hall and inner room granted to the gentlemen and ladies of the city for an assembly once a fortnight or oftener. p. 173.

1732, May 2.—Estimate to be prepared of the expense of making the river Wytham navigable to Boston. p. 175.

1734, Dec. 7.—The great mace to be new gilt, and a new scabbard to be had for the sword and a new hat for the sword bearer. p. 201.

1735, Nov. 24.—Agreement between the city of Lincoln, the town of Boston, and the owners of low lands, for the procuring an Act of Parliament for improving the navigation between Lincoln and Boston. p. 210.

1736, Sept. 25, Dec. 2.—Enlargement of the market place for butter, eggs, &c. adjoining St. Peter at Arches. pp. 214, 218.

—, Dec. 2.—8l. 8s. given by two persons for a clock and chimes at St. Peter's. p. 219.

—, —.—Michael Crawthorne, one of the waits, discharged of his place for forsaking the Protestant religion of the Church of England and embracing that of the Church of Rome. p. 220.

1740, June 14.—50l. given towards a new steeple at St. Martin's church. p. 246.

—, Aug. 30.—Proposals of Rich. Ellison accepted for improving the navigation of Foss-dyke. p. 247.

1742, May 12, 24.—Resignation of William Gylby, esq. Recorder, by reason of his great years and illness, and election of Charles Monson, esq. pp. 264, 265.

—, Sept. 10.—Rev. Mr. Rolt lately elected master of the Grammar School in place of Rev. Mr. Goodall, who deceased on May 25. 7l. 10s. paid to Rev. Mr. Shelton, usher. pp. 266, 267.

1743, Dec. 7.—Addresses to George II. on his return to England, on the prospect of a French invasion, on the capture of Cape Breton and the invasion by the Pretender, on the victory at Culloden (the text of this last address is not given), and again on his return to England and a general peace. pp. 278, 279, 288, 292, 311.
—[4], March 7.
1745, Sept. 25.
1746, May 28.
1748, Dec. 19.

Addresses on April 22 and Sept. 27, 1756. pp. 365, 371. On the reduction of Louisburgh, Sept. 14, 1758, p. 391. On the reduction of Quebec, Oct. 25, 1759. p. 443.

1749, Sept. 26.—On the appointment of Rev. Will. White to the curacy of Hemswell it was ordered that the curate should preach or cause to be preached there a sermon every Sunday. p. 316.

—, Dec. 14.—A proposal in favour of voting viva voce instead of by ballot rejected by 22 to 16. p. 319.

—[50], Feb. 20.—Regulations for the better preservation of decency and good order at all common councils. p. 320.

1750, Dec. 11, Feb. 2, etc.—Resolutions, and petitions to Parliament, for an Act for the more speedy recovery of small debts in the city. pp. 326, 327, etc.

1751, May 13.—The Guildhall to be repaired, being much decayed. p. 328.

1752, June 6.—Proposals for establishing a manufactory of camblets and shalloons read. p. 336.

—, Sept. 27.—Request to Will. George D.D. [Dean of Lincoln] to print, at the expense of the city, his sermon preached on Sept. 18, at the meeting of subscribers to the charity schools. (fn. 2) p. 338.

1753, May 22.—St. Mary's wooden bridge to be rebuilt with brick and stone. p. 341.

1755, Nov. 2.—Orders for regulating the coal-trade. p. 359.

—, Dec. 30.—Proposals for a nightly watch to be maintained by subscription. p. 361.

1756, May 13.—The salary of the waits to be 42s. a year each instead of 30s., provided they go the watch four nights in the week from Michaelmas to Lady Day. p. 366.

—, June 9.—The great Bar-gates to be pulled down. p. 367.

1757, Feb. 3.—Subscription for relief of the poor, on account of the dearness of provisions and fuel. p. 374.

—, Dec. 15.—Leave given to erect an assembly room over the market house, with card-room and tea-room. p. 384.

1758, Sept. 25.—The east side of the passage under the Stone-bow to be opened for passengers as that on the west side now is. p. 394.

1758, Nov. 8.—10l. 10s. granted towards buying communion-plate for the parish of St. Peter-at-Arches. p. 397.

1759, June 23.—Francis Bernard, esq., removed from his place of Steward of the courts of the city on account of his accepting the office of Governor of the province of New Jersey and going to reside there. p. 404.

1760, Oct. 31.—Ceremonial of the proclamation of George III. p. 423. Addresses, pp. 431, 432.

1762, March 4, Apr. 12.—Petitions against a bill in Parliament for improving the navigation between Lincoln and Boston. pp. 439, 443.

1765. Dec. 5.—The lighting of street-lamps at the expense of the city to be discontinued, except those at the new conduit and in the market house. p. 485.

1766, Oct. 28.—Twenty guineas granted to Rev. Mr. Hewthwaite, master of the Grammar School, for globes and maps, he having undertaken to teach the scholars geography gratis. p. 493.

1769, Aug. 29.—Order for taking down from houses in the High Street signs which project into the street. p. 524.

1771, Jan. 26.—A committee appointed to consider a proposal for making a navigation from Grantham to Lincoln. p. 541.

1781, Dec. 12.—Thanks given to Governor Pownall for presenting the city with his Majesty's picture in a handsome gilt frame. p. 648.

1786, March 18.—4l. granted in addition to 6l. already granted to be distributed by the minister and churchwardens of St. Peter-at-Arches among such persons as shall sing or perform upon any musical instrument in that church during divine service on the Lord's day. p. 695.

1787, Feb. 20.—Petition against a bill in Parliament for building a bridge over the Trent at Gainsborough. p. 708.

—, Apr. 18.—The mayor to cause a proper place to be made in the Inner Hall for the reception of the books and records of the city, and to provide the new patent lamps for the Guildhall. p. 714.

1788, Feb. 9.—A petition to Parliament against the Slave Trad carried by 9 to 2. p. 725.

—, Aug. 4, and Dec. 3, 1789.—10l. 10s. subscribed towards the establishing of Sunday Schools in the city. pp. 730, 746.

1790, Feb. 6.—Proposal for an Act of Parliament for lighting the city. p. 747.

1791–2.—Various proceedings relative to navigation-plans connected with the Witham and Foss-dyke, and the town of Grantham. pp. 767, 772–3, 782, etc.

1792, May 17.—Enquiry into the causes of the decline of the Grammar School. p. 781.

—, Dec. 17.—A sum not exceeding 20l. towards a subscription for checking the spirit of the disaffected. p. 790.

1793, Dec. 12.—One hundred guineas subscribed towards an organ for St. Peter's church, and 12l. 12s. a year as salary for an organist, p. 804.

1794, March 1.—Twenty guineas towards the subscription for pulling down Pottergate. p. 805.

—, June 5.—300l. towards the internal defence of the kingdom. p. 807.

—, Dec. 22.—Forty guineas to the subscription for the poor during the present inclemency of the season. p. 814.

1796, Jan. 12.—The mayor had bought thirty pounds' worth of potatoes, fearing the price was likely to rise, in order to sell them at the original price. p. 835. Again on Dec. 26, 1799. p. 897.

—, Aug. 23.—The rector of St. Peter's is requested to take steps to prevent the ringers of the church from ringing so frequently for gentlemen coming to town and on other occasions. p. 844.

1797, Nov. 7.—Twenty guineas subscribed for the families of those who fell in the battle of Camperdown. p. 864.

1798, Feb. 14.—Five hundred guineas in aid of Government at the present crisis. p. 866.

—, March 10.—Orders for reduction of the expenditure of the corporation, to the extent of 260l. p. 868.

1798, Dec. 17.—5l. 5s. a year subscribed to the weekly charity schools, 10l. 10s. towards a fund for the inoculation of the poor, and 21l. towards relief of the families of those who fell in the battle of the Nile. p. 877.

1800, March 3.—Ten guineas "towards the erection of the naval monument to perpetuate the glorious victories of the British navy." p. 899.

June 7.—Fifty guineas towards erecting a new church in the parish of St. Swithin. p. 905.

From the beginning of this volume there are entries of the annual gifts sometimes of plate and sometimes of money, rising from 20l. to 50l., towards the horse-races. Several addresses at various times to Geo. III. are in the latter part of the volume.

From the year 1818 the enrolments of freemen are in two folio volumes. For fifty or sixty years previously they are on rolls.

Footnotes

1 "Friendly advice to the Anabaptists, or a reply to Mr. Ebenezer Hall's Antidote," printed at Cambridge in 1719. The sermon "of Baptism," which Hall answered, was printed in 1718, in accordance with the request above. The author, Peniston Booth, was afterwards dean of Windsor.
2 The sermon was printed at Lincoln in 1752 by Will. Wood.