XXX.—No. 32 OLD QUEEN STREET.
The freehold belongs to Mr. C. R. Scriven, who is also the occupier.
General Description and Date of Structure.
On 15th March, 1703–4, Thomas Sutton sold (fn. 1) to Elizabeth Milner
several plots of land on both sides of the western portion of Old Queen
Street and the whole of Park Prospect. Among them was a "parcell of
"ground, with a new-built brick messuage," with frontages to Queen
Street and St. James's Park of 24½ feet, and a depth on both sides of 36
feet, abutting east on a messuage of Mr. King and west on that of Walter
Whitfield, "and now or late in the occupation of Sir Wm. Honywood."
The original house is no longer standing. The architectural evidence
seems to point to the end of the 18th or the beginning of the 19th century
as the date at which the demolition took place, but the ratebooks do not
contain anything to confirm this suggestion.
The exterior consists of a plain brick front of five storeys over a basement
and an attic storey. A square bay window supported on cast-iron brackets
has been constructed at the first floor.
The premises contain some interesting mantelpieces dating from the
second half of the 18th century, which were probably obtained from other
buildings. The front room on the first floor has a carved wood mantelpiece, which has the frieze decorated with a female head, between ribands
and floral festoons, while carved consoles support the enriched moulded
shelf (Plate 72). On the second floor the front room has an Italian breccia
marble mantelpiece designed in the French rococo style with complementary
decorative cast-iron panels to the jambs and back. The back room has a
statuary and sienna marble mantelpiece (Plate 73) with the central tablet
inlaid with a representation of a conventional urn in lapis lazuli, while small
vases over the pilasters are inlaid in a similar manner. A handsome castiron hob-grate completes the general composition (Plate 73).
Condition of Repair.
According to the ratebooks, the occupiers of the houses on this site up to 1840 were:—
|1696–1747||Sir Wm. Honywood.|
|1750–58||Sir John Honywood.|
|1759–99||Thos. Clapton. (fn. 2) |
In the Council's Collection are:—
(fn. 3) Mantelpiece in back room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 3) Mantelpiece in back room on second floor (photograph).
Mantelpiece in front room on second floor (photograph).
Close Roll, 4928.
||The premises sold by Sutton to Elizabeth Milner came into the hands of Richard Whitfield,
who died in 1765 (P.C.C., 262, Rushworth). His son, Richard Walter Whitfield, mortgaged them
in 1769 (C.P. 45, No. 745, f. 37), and in the indenture No. 32 is referred to as "in the occupation
of Thomas Clapton, apothecary."