LVI.—No. 28 QUEEN ANNE'S GATE: (FORMERLY NO. 10 QUEEN SQUARE).
Ground Landlord, etc.
The freehold belongs to the Mountjoy Estates, Ltd. The present
occupier is the Right Hon. Viscount Haldane, K.T., F.R.S., O.M.
On 12th February, 1728–29, the South Sea Company Trustees sold (fn. 1)
to John and Samuel Rush the second and third houses on the north side of
Queen Square, i.e. Nos. 28 and 30 Queen Anne's Gate. They are described
as in the occupation of the Earl of Derby (No. 28) and Richard Worthington
(No. 30), each containing in front about 29 feet and in depth 40 feet, three
storeys high, with a large hall, two parlours and two staircases on the first
floor, three rooms on each of the other floors, and kitchens, washhouses and
other offices underground, garrets in the roof, two vaults under the Square,
a large yard "with flatts over part of the several yards from the houses to
the Park wall," and iron railings in front. Two coach houses "on the
north side of the stable yard in or near the said square, which coachhouses are built under the Chappell there" were included in the sale. In
a later deed (fn. 2) the occupiers of the two houses are said to be "the Revd.
Doctor Anthony Ellis" (No. 30) and "the Hon. Mrs. Trevanion"
The exterior is in brick like the other houses in the square, with carved
masks to the keystones of the two principal floors (Plate 117). The third
floor has had the front wall carried up, with the window-heads raised, and a
tiled mansard roof with dormers substituted. The entrance doorway (fn. 3) has
¼-round fluted Doric columns and a "cobweb" fanlight over the door.
Ornamental iron brackets spring from the railings on each side of the entrance
and support a central lamp (Plate 118).
The most westerly keystone to the first-floor windows is worthy of note,
as it exhibits workmanship different in outline and technique from the general
character of those in the square.
The back has a brick exterior like the front, and the windows to the two
principal floors have the carved masks to the keystones, while a lead rainwater head bears the date 1704.
The chief feature of internal interest is the oak staircase, which is similar
in character to that in No. 26, and extends from ground to first floor (Plate 118).
The strings are decorated with carved brackets to the return nosing
of the treads, and the newels are formed by a cluster of the spiral balusters,
whilst the landing has a carved foliated frieze (Plate 119). The walls are
panelled and completed with a wood coved cornice. The back staircase,
which extends from the basement to the attic, has turned balusters, moulded
close strings and square newel posts, while the walls are faced with square
panelling with a heavily moulded wood cornice. The chief rooms contain
some carved wood and marble mantelpieces, which are of later date than
the original premises, and were probably inserted when internal alterations
were carried out and the walls were stripped.
Condition of Repair.
The occupiers of this house before 1840, according to the ratebooks, were as follows:—
|1725–31||Bishop of Chichester.|
|1758–60||Col. (General) Cæsar. (fn. 4) |
|1762–63||Hon. Ric. Ponsonby.|
|1772–93||Sir Peter Parker.|
|1830–36||John Tidd Pratt.|
James, 10th Earl of Derby, was born in 1664 and succeeded his brother in the earldom
in 1702. He died in 1736. From 1718 to 1721 he appears to have rented No. 30 in addition
to No. 28. (fn. 5) He was succeeded in the occupancy of the latter house by Edward Waddington,
Bishop of Chichester.
Stanley, Earl of Derby.
Waddington was born in London in 1670–71 and was educated at Eton and King's
College, Cambridge, of which he became a Fellow. In 1698 he inherited an estate of £500
a year and thereupon resigned his Fellowship. In 1702 he obtained the living of Wexham
and ten years later that of Allhallows the Great, London. He was appointed Chaplain-inOrdinary to George I. in 1716. In 1724 he was made Bishop of Chichester and died in 1731.
No. 28 Queen Anne's Gate served as his town house during his episcopate.
Sir Peter Parker, son of Rear-Admiral Christopher Parker, was born in 1721. He
followed his father's profession and was made a captain in 1747. At the conclusion of peace
(1763), after the Seven Years' War, he was put on half-pay. In 1772 he was knighted. In
1775 he was given the command of a small squadron to attack Charlestown, but after stubborn
fighting was repulsed. He then joined Lord Howe at New York, and took part in the reduc
tion of Long Island and Rhode Island. In 1777 he became Rear-Admiral and Commander-inChief at Jamaica, and in 1779 Vice-Admiral. He returned to England in 1782 and received
a baronetcy. He was promoted Admiral in 1787, was appointed Commander-in-Chief at
Portsmouth in 1793, and in 1799 became Admiral of the Fleet. He died in 1811. He is
best remembered as the early patron of Nelson. The ratebooks show him as resident at No. 28
Queen Anne's Gate from 1766 to 1793, the date of his Portsmouth appointment. The
Dictionary of National Biography, however, states that his residence in Queen Square began
in 1763. If so, he lived with his wife's mother. His wife was Margaret, daughter of Walter
Nugent, and the ratebooks show that "Mrs. Nugent" lived at one of the two houses occupying
the site of No. 34 Queen Anne's Gate from 1761 to 1763, and in the latter year removed to
what is now No. 28. (fn. 6)
John Tidd Pratt, the son of a surgeon in Kennington, was born in 1797, and was called
to the Bar in 1824. From 1828 he was counsel to certify the rules of savings banks and
friendly societies, and in 1846 became Registrar of Friendly Societies. He died in 1870.
He wrote a History of the Savings Banks in England and Wales (published in 1830, the year
in which the ratebooks first show him in residence in Queen Square) and brought out many
editions of legal books.
In the Council's Collection are:—
(fn. 7) General exterior of premises (photograph).
(fn. 7) Entrance doorway (photograph).
(fn. 7) Entrance hall and staircase (photograph).
General view of first-floor landing (photograph).
(fn. 7) Detail of carved frieze to first-floor landing (photograph).
General view of back stairs (photograph).
Marble mantelpiece, ground-floor back room (photograph).
Wood mantelpiece, first-floor front room (photograph).
Wood mantelpiece, first-floor back room (photograph).
Marble mantelpiece, second-floor back room (photograph).