LVII. No. 30 QUEEN ANNE'S GATE: (Formerly No. 11 Queen Square).
Ground Landlord, etc.
The freehold is the property of Lady Assheton-Smith, who is also the
occupier of the premises.
The description of the house as given in the deed of 1729 will be found
under No. 28.
These premises have a brick front similar to that of the adjoining
house, and a carved doorcase and canopied hood (Plate 120) resembling
that at No. 26. The top storey has had the front wall raised and a new tiled
roof and attic added. The back has a brick exterior similar in character
to the front, with a wood modillion cornice to the eaves, and stone horizontal
bands at the floor levels, while the keystones of the windows to the two
principal floors are decorated with carved masks.
The premises contain interesting panelled rooms (Plate 122) and
moulded marble mantelpieces, which, though in keeping with the date of
the house, are not original, but have been substituted since; a few of the
rooms, however, retain their original panelling. The main staircase (Plate 121),
which is in oak and extends to the first floor only, is of similar design
to that at No. 26, while the walls are panelled and have a coved cornice. The
back staircase (Plate 121) continues from the basement to the top around
a well, with a close string, turned balusters and square newel posts, while
the walls are panelled. The old paint of this staircase has been cleaned off
and the balustrading is now simply oiled, the result being very pleasing.
The plans of the two principal floors reproduced on the opposite
page are typical generally of the houses on this side of the square, although
certain alterations have been carried out to the back rooms.
Condition of Repair.
The premises are in excellent condition and taste, and constitute a good record of the
interior decoration of a house during the first quarter of the 18th century.
The occupiers of this house before 1840, according to the ratebooks, were as follows:
|1739–52||Dr. Anthony Ellis.|
|1753–61||Bishop of St. David's.|
|1827–||John Edward Dorington.|
For particulars of Lord Derby, see p. 126.
Ground and first-floor plans.
Anthony Ellys was born at Great Yarmouth in 1690, his father being one of the leading
citizens in that town. He was educated at Clare Hall, Cambridge, of which he became a
Fellow and graduated D.D. in 1728. In 1719 he was appointed Minister of St. George's
Chapel at Yarmouth, in 1721 became Chaplain to the Lord Chancellor (Macclesfield), in
1724 Vicar of St. Olave Jewry and Prebendary of Gloucester, and in 1729 obtained the living
of Great Marlow also. In 1752 he was promoted to the see of St. David's. He continued
to hold the living of St. Olave Jewry (as well as his prebend) and was praised for the regularity with which he went every Sunday morning in the winter season from his house in Queen
Square to preach to his parishioners. He died at Gloucester in 1761. The "Mrs. Alleys"
shown as residing at the house in Queen Square until 1770 is no doubt his widow.
In the Council's Collection are:—
(fn. 1) Exterior of premises (photograph).
(fn. 1) View of entrance doorway (photograph).
(fn. 1) General view of main staircase and hall (photograph).
(fn. 1) General view of back staircase (photograph).
(fn. 1) General view of front room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. 1) General view of back room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 1) Ground and first-floor plans (measured drawing).